• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I dunno, for a Hurracan or an F-Type I would put up with the stares and publicity.

The F-Type for sure. I still plan on getting one (even though the XKR is essentially the same car with extra space).

But the Huracan is way too flashy. All Lamborghinis are. And I don't like flashy cars. I'm the guy who looks at a row of exotics and says "I'd rather the McLaren" just because it ISN'T a Ferrari or Lambo.

ameratsu

New Civic Si Announced

la-fi-hy-la-auto-show-honda-civic-si-20161115

Honda has equipped the Si with a turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder. The company didn't reveal output, but considering Conrad's statement, it's probably be safe to say it will make somewhere between 205 horsepower (the output of the previous Si) and 306 horsepower (the output of the previous Type R). That engine will send power through a six-speed manual transmission and a limited-slip differential. Also part of the Si package will be active steering and dampers, plus a high-performance tire option.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/15/2017-honda-civic-si-coupe-prototype/

tl;dr: No detuned 2.0 turbo from the Type-R :(

Makki

They havent said anything about the motor though. They could differentiate from the hot hatch market, if that version is made, were they to have chosen the 1.5l to allow it to rev high and boost like crazy. A 8k RPM turbo engine! (tales from my ass)

...or they could just go mediocre like the new FRS and Miata and settle for claiming a high power to weight ratio, give everyone a 6500 rpm redlining 185 hp 155 tq engine and call it a day. Buy the Type R peons!

ameratsu

They havent said anything about the motor though. They could differentiate from the hot hatch market, if that version is made, were they to have chosen the 1.5l to allow it to rev high and boost like crazy. A 8k RPM turbo engine! (tales from my ass)

...or they could just go mediocre like the new FRS and Miata and settle for claiming a high power to weight ratio, give everyone a 6500 rpm redlining 185 hp 155 tq engine and call it a day. Buy the Type R peons!

Watch the announcement video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4ylhp6szeY&feature=youtu.be&t=384

It's confirmed to have a 1.5l engine. Dreams of high-revving, cheap cars are dead and buried at this point as well.

Pinewood

And every time I'm behind the wheel of an F-Type, it's almost annoying how many eyes are on that, though. But I'd still love to own one. And then we have the stupid red Huracan, which is far too ostentatious for me. I really don't even like riding in it, tbh. Not my style.

If you need someone took look after it and fire up the engine from time to time to make sure its running, shoot me a pm :p

GHG

So... New car time.

Not in a position to blow as much money as I would have hoped at this stage (just under a year into running my own business) but I have enough to get myself a fun sports car that would be reasonably reliable. I also want a car that can be a bit of a project car that I can mess around with and mod. Will probably keep it for about a year until I have more cash flow for something a bit more interesting. Basically the opposite of my last car because I was never going to mod the x6 because of fear of wrecking the sell on value and the fact that all my car fund money going towards keeping that abomination of an engine running.

I'm currently thinking a face lifted 2013/14 Nissan 370Z fits the bill. Opinions?

AlphaSnake

If you need someone took look after it and fire up the engine from time to time to make sure its running, shoot me a pm :p

Heh, it's not even mine. It's my brother's in NYC. May also be why I don't like the car. He's almost the typical Lamborghini owner. Douchey and lacks proper car knowledge. :p

So... New car time.

Not in a position to blow as much money as I would have hoped at this stage (just under a year into running my own business) but I have enough to get myself a fun sports car that would be reasonably reliable. I also want a car that can be a bit of a project car that I can mess around with and mod. Will probably keep it for about a year until I have more cash flow for something a bit more interesting. Basically the opposite of my last car because I was never going to mod the x6 because of fear of wrecking the sell on value and the fact that all my car fund money going towards keeping that abomination of an engine running.

I'm currently thinking a face lifted 2013/14 Nissan 370Z fits the bill. Opinions?

Wow, I literally had a dream about a 370 today. So every one knows how I feel about 370Zs. I loved mine when I had it. And I miss it. Get it in 6MT, please.

GHG

Wow, I literally had a dream about a 370 today. So every one knows how I feel about 370Zs. I loved mine when I had it. And I miss it. Get it in 6MT, please.

I wish! Honestly, here in Dubai everyone drives autos and on the rare occasion you do find a manual it's almost guaranteed that the clutch will be fried as very few people here know how to drive a manual properly. I had a quick look and all of the 13/14 Z's currently advertised are auto boxes with paddles.

How was it in terms of reliability? I hear the v6 is pretty robust but what about the rest of the car? The reliability needs to be there for me this time. I simply don't have the time to have to baby an unreliable car at the moment (nor do I want the stress). I just want a reliable fun car that I can wrap, slap on an obnoxious exhaust and simply enjoy.

I still get PTS from that BMW N63 engine.

AlphaSnake

I wish! Honestly, here in Dubai everyone drives autos and on the rare occasion you do find a manual it's almost guaranteed that the clutch will be fried as very few people here know how to drive a manual properly. I had a quick look and all of the 13/14 Z's currently advertised are auto boxes with paddles.

How was it in terms of reliability? I hear the v6 is pretty robust but what about the rest of the car? The reliability needs to be there for me this time. I simply don't have the time to have to baby an unreliable car at the moment (nor do I want the stress). I just want a reliable fun car that I can wrap, slap on an obnoxious exhaust and simply enjoy.

I still get PTS from that BMW N63 engine.

I beat the absolute shit out of both my 350Z and 370Z. Neither of them ever saw a dealership visit. Both cars were modded with full bolt ons + tunes. The Zs are by far the most reliable product Nissan makes. The quality control on them is terrific, since they are the only imported/exported Nissan product still made in Japan (here in the US, almost every other Nissan is American made, for example). In any case, great car.

If I recall correctly, try to spring for a 2015 model, because it has noise cancelation via Bose and it's apparently very effective. The older models were a bit noisy inside with tire roar. Not sure if it bothers you, or not, especially since I don't know what the compound of Dubai roads are.

Smokey

The F-Type for sure. I still plan on getting one (even though the XKR is essentially the same car with extra space).

But the Huracan is way too flashy. All Lamborghinis are. And I don't like flashy cars. I'm the guy who looks at a row of exotics and says "I'd rather the McLaren" just because it ISN'T a Ferrari or Lambo.

I hear ya, but a McLaren is just as flashy. The average person sees all 3 and can't tell the diffeence. All 3 will be met with a "damn". The only "subtle" supercar IMO is the 911 Turbo S.

I remember driving my 335i to Kansas and getting all kinds of stares and questions in OK and KS. It was surreal.

AlphaSnake

I hear ya, but a McLaren is just as flashy. The average person sees all 3 and can't tell the diffeencd. All 3 will be met with a "damn". The only "subtle" supercar IMO is the 911 Turbo S.

I remember driving my 335i to Kansas and getting all kinds of stares and questions in OK and KS. It was surreal.

Yeah, definitely true. Nonetheless, my budget on a car would pretty much stop at $100-150K

boltz

New Civic Si Announced

The wing on the short risers looks terrible and blocks the limited rearward visibility to boot. Also not surprised that it doesn't use the 2.0L from the Type-R because what would be the point of buying the Type-R if you could tune the Si to similar power levels?

But I am expecting good performance out of this Si as the 1.5L has unexpectedly good performance in the base Civic.

ameratsu

The wing on the short risers looks terrible and blocks the limited rearward visibility to boot. Also not surprised that it doesn't use the 2.0L from the Type-R because what would be the point of buying the Type-R if you could tune the Si to similar power levels?

But I am expecting good performance out of this Si as the 1.5L has unexpectedly good performance in the base Civic.

I was expecting something like the Lancer Ralliart which uses the same basic engine as the Evo but with a smaller turbo and a much cheaper suspension/chassis setup.

Honda has done this before -- the dc2 gs-r (which is basically an Si tier vehicle) has many commonalities with the highly-regarded type-r, including a very similar engine and transmission, but the differences made the type-r a significantly better driver's car from the factory.

Obviously many of the new type-r's hallmarks like the trick front suspension wouldn't carry over to the Si, but I don't see why it's some kind of inevitably that it uses the 1.5T engine. It seems like they're holding it back on purpose as to avoid a 250hp Si that could push 300 with a tune, as that encroaches on v6 accord coupe territory.

matmanx1

New Civic Si Announced

Even with the 1.5 it will still be pretty good, I bet. I predict horsepower somewhere around 200 which will give it a decent power to weight.

So... New car time.

If you like the way they drive then go for it. I was fairly impressed when I test drove one last year. Handles and sounds like a proper sports car although the tire noise was pronounced at highway speeds.

Like Alpha said, they are super reliable and easy to own in terms of maintenance. I had basically the same mechanical setup in the G37 coupe I owned and it was a very fun car.

Unpopular opinion time... hold on to your seats coz imo it's pretty damn unpopular.

Are y'all ready?

Alright here goes... I think the current gen GTI is severely overrated and is probably a "warm hatch" at best, definitely not a "hot hatch" though.

Preface: we have one at work, it finally was ready so as soon as I saw it this morning, I went up to my boss' boss and told him that I'm thinking of buying the car(I really was actually) and ask if I could drive it around all day as a test drive, and of course he let me.

To get to the main point, I think it's overrated because it doesn't feel fun to drive. It just felt like a Civic/Corolla with much more power and definitely much nicer interior.

But even with more power than those econoboxes, it didn't feel fast, it didn't sound nice either. I wasn't expecting Mazdaspeed3/Focus ST levels of hot hatch but I certainly was expecting some fun factor in driving it, but I honestly just couldn't get any of that during the entire day.

Basically, it just felt like it was there and nothing special. I really wanted to like it and already filled up the paperwork to apply for financing but at the end of the day, when I parked it back in the showroom, I looked at it and thought I could live without it.

Alright, I've got my flamesuit on so I'm ready lol.

No Love

Banned
Unpopular opinion time... hold on to your seats coz imo it's pretty damn unpopular.

Are y'all ready?

Alright here goes... I think the current gen GTI is severely overrated and is probably a "warm hatch" at best, definitely not a "hot hatch" though.

Preface: we have one at work, it finally was ready so as soon as I saw it this morning, I went up to my boss' boss and told him that I'm thinking of buying the car(I really was actually) and ask if I could drive it around all day as a test drive, and of course he let me.

To get to the main point, I think it's overrated because it doesn't feel fun to drive. It just felt like a Civic/Corolla with much more power and definitely much nicer interior.

But even with more power than those econoboxes, it didn't feel fast, it didn't sound nice either. I wasn't expecting Mazdaspeed3/Focus ST levels of hot hatch but I certainly was expecting some fun factor in driving it, but I honestly just couldn't get any of that during the entire day.

Basically, it just felt like it was there and nothing special. I really wanted to like it and already filled up the paperwork to apply for financing but at the end of the day, when I parked it back in the showroom, I looked at it and thought I could live without it.

100% agree with you. A turbo FWD VW is still a turbo FWD VW. VW doesn't make exciting, dynamic cars. I totally understand why you would be left wanting.

GHG

I beat the absolute shit out of both my 350Z and 370Z. Neither of them ever saw a dealership visit. Both cars were modded with full bolt ons + tunes. The Zs are by far the most reliable product Nissan makes. The quality control on them is terrific, since they are the only imported/exported Nissan product still made in Japan (here in the US, almost every other Nissan is American made, for example). In any case, great car.

If I recall correctly, try to spring for a 2015 model, because it has noise cancelation via Bose and it's apparently very effective. The older models were a bit noisy inside with tire roar. Not sure if it bothers you, or not, especially since I don't know what the compound of Dubai roads are.

If you like the way they drive then go for it. I was fairly impressed when I test drove one last year. Handles and sounds like a proper sports car although the tire noise was pronounced at highway speeds.

Like Alpha said, they are super reliable and easy to own in terms of maintenance. I had basically the same mechanical setup in the G37 coupe I owned and it was a very fun car.

Great, thanks guys. On paper, the car fits the bill perfectly. I'll go and test drive a few examples this weekend and see what my feeling is after I've actually driven one.

Thanks for the tip on the noise cancellation Alpha, will look into it. If it is indeed the '15 models and onwards then I will try and get my hands on one of those as well this weekend as well to see how it compares noise wise. But I will preface that by saying if their version of "noise cancellation" includes fake engine noises like BMW's do then I will probably steer clear because I hate that shit with a passion. I'm not sure it will be that big a deal for me since I don't have a commute as such anymore so this car will be primarily used for leisure, mountain roads out towards Oman and generally just cruising around. I also don't drive anywhere without music playing either. Having said all that now I'll probably come back from the test drive saying "OH MY GOD THE ROAD NOISE".

Any opinions on the convertible version or should I just steer clear and stick with the hard top?

Momentary

Banned
If only I had the money for this GTE track beast. A lot of people are flipping out over the GT3 RSR being mid engine. Oh well. It looks fantastic to me.

It's probably a $600,000-$700,000 and you would probably need to buy like an extra engine, 3 sets of tires and rent a team for track days. A man can dream.

They also showed the Revzani Beast Alpha at the show... It definitely doesn't look as good as I was hoping it would with a hard top.

Only other car that looked interesting at the LA Autoshow was the AMG GT3.

FStop7

Banned
The ass on that GT3 RSR :O

The exposed exhaust pipes, that's giving me some serious late 70's early 80's GT racing vibes, I love it.

If only I had the money for this GTE track beast. A lot of people are flipping out over the GT3 RSR being mid engine. Oh well. It looks fantastic to me.

It's probably a $600,000-$700,000 and you would probably need to buy like an extra engine, 3 sets of tires and rent a team for track days. A man can dream.

Even Porsche knows rear engine was a mistake and is nothing but trash.

Also in addition to being 600k - 700k, you can't even drive it on the street. How am I supposed to drive to the track, show off at car meets or even go through the drive through to get taco bell?

AlphaSnake

Great, thanks guys. On paper, the car fits the bill perfectly. I'll go and test drive a few examples this weekend and see what my feeling is after I've actually driven one.

Thanks for the tip on the noise cancellation Alpha, will look into it. If it is indeed the '15 models and onwards then I will try and get my hands on one of those as well this weekend as well to see how it compares noise wise. But I will preface that by saying if their version of "noise cancellation" includes fake engine noises like BMW's do then I will probably steer clear because I hate that shit with a passion. I'm not sure it will be that big a deal for me since I don't have a commute as such anymore so this car will be primarily used for leisure, mountain roads out towards Oman and generally just cruising around. I also don't drive anywhere without music playing either. Having said all that now I'll probably come back from the test drive saying "OH MY GOD THE ROAD NOISE".

Any opinions on the convertible version or should I just steer clear and stick with the hard top?

Noise cancelation doesn't pump any noise into the cabin. It's just a frequency based system in the Bose package that cancels a lot of the tire roar. It's apparently pretty good.

Imo, hardtop looks better and also performs better.

Edit: Also make sure you get a loaded interior with the Nav. Without it, the interior is drab and ugly. With it, it's very nice, high quality and complete the cabin.

I was expecting something like the Lancer Ralliart which uses the same basic engine as the Evo but with a smaller turbo and a much cheaper suspension/chassis setup.

Honda has done this before -- the dc2 gs-r (which is basically an Si tier vehicle) has many commonalities with the highly-regarded type-r, including a very similar engine and transmission, but the differences made the type-r a significantly better driver's car from the factory.

Obviously many of the new type-r's hallmarks like the trick front suspension wouldn't carry over to the Si, but I don't see why it's some kind of inevitably that it uses the 1.5T engine. It seems like they're holding it back on purpose as to avoid a 250hp Si that could push 300 with a tune, as that encroaches on v6 accord coupe territory.

Great points, definitely along my lines of thinking as well.

I think this thing needs to be at least 240 HP, but realistically I'm guessing it will land at 220 from the factory at the crank. That way it's technically more powerful than the 9th gen, better power to weight, has new active steering and dampers, but like you said doesn't encroach on the Accord V6 coupe and certaintly not the Type R. Although without an LSD I do think the Accord Coupe is in a different class if you will.

Momentary

Banned

Also in addition to being 600k - 700k, you can't even drive it on the street. How am I supposed to drive to the track, show off at car meets or even go through the drive through to get taco bell?

Drive it around on a trailer.

Also I always wondered... If you just took off the livery... would a cop even stop you? I mean aside from not having a license plate and whatnot.

Lmao either my opinion is that bad or everyone else agrees lolol.

100% agree with you. A turbo FWD VW is still a turbo FWD VW. VW doesn't make exciting, dynamic cars. I totally understand why you would be left wanting.

Funny enough, I don't think I've ever really wanted a VW before until I heard/read all the praise the GTI gets. Now that I've actually got some proper seat time though, I'm very confused as to how people get to that conclusion.

My brother was telling me it's probably because I'm still a "boy racer at heart" and that I can't comprehend it's elegance, but on the contrary, I actually really love the MB E-Class and have been debating on getting one for a good month now, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of my Miata(I also need my row your own gears option) so I haven't done it lol.

GHG

Noise cancelation doesn't pump any noise into the cabin. It's just a frequency based system in the Bose package that cancels a lot of the tire roar. It's apparently pretty good.

Imo, hardtop looks better and also performs better.

Edit: Also make sure you get a loaded interior with the Nav. Without it, the interior is drab and ugly. With it, it's very nice, high quality and complete the cabin.

Yeh I've definitely noticed that with the interiors and will seek out a fully loaded one. I've also seen one with the "nismo' interior and have to say it looks great:

I hear you on the hard top being better. The idea of having a convertible always seems better than the reality*.

unless it's a mclaren hard top convertible.

boltz

Great points, definitely along my lines of thinking as well.

I think this thing needs to be at least 240 HP, but realistically I'm guessing it will land at 220 from the factory at the crank. That way it's technically more powerful than the 9th gen, better power to weight, has new active steering and dampers, but like you said doesn't encroach on the Accord V6 coupe and certaintly not the Type R. Although without an LSD I do think the Accord Coupe is in a different class if you will.

Fair enough. It will also be interesting to see where else Honda uses that 2.0 turbo engine (V6 replacement?). The other big differentiatior will be how the Type-R is priced.

Funny enough, I don't think I've ever really wanted a VW before until I heard/read all the praise the GTI gets. Now that I've actually got some proper seat time though, I'm very confused as to how people get to that conclusion.

My brother was telling me it's probably because I'm still a "boy racer at heart" and that I can't comprehend it's elegance, but on the contrary, I actually really love the MB E-Class and have been debating on getting one for a good month now, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of my Miata(I also need my row your own gears option) so I haven't done it lol.

I've only driven the current GTI during a short car show drive. Was really impressed with the interior and the DSG but I can't speak to anything else. People do seem to rave about the performance pack; did your car have that?

Also the refreshed 2018 GTI is getting some pretty sweet upgrades - full digital instrument cluster and a nice bump in power and torque (+17 hp/+15 lb-ft).

matmanx1

Are y'all ready?

I haven't driven the current gen but I was seriously considering the previous gen back before I bought my 128i. It's not a sports car and I didn't think it was trying to be but it was a quick, fun to drive hatchback with a nice interior. Ultimately it was the reliability horror stories that kept me from purchasing one which is ironic considering I bought an out of warranty BMW. Oh well, live and learn.

Otherwise, I don't think you are wrong Jongkookie. It's definitely more of an everyday driver hatchback with decent to good handling and a smooth, torquey turbo motor.

I honestly don't get the love for the GTI, extremely overrated IMO, and I would suggest trying an extremely underrated car for comparison, the Hyundai Genesis.

You get an extra 140hp with a 6 speed manual tail happy RWD, for about a grand more.

5 year warranty, too.

It's being replaced soon too, so you might be able to get yourself a good deal if you bargain for it.

I don't think that's fair. It gives a car wholly different driving dynamics and some pretty serious flaws, but they feel incredible to drive, and the grip they have coming out of corners is pretty nuts for RWD cars. Anyway, the 911s have always been very competitive in GT racing so there was no real need to change to a MR layout, but with rules changes allowing for larger rear diffusers it was either move the engine forward or consign themselves to never winning again.

For road cars, though, where diffusers don't make sense anyway, they'll stick with the super-duper cool ass-engine'd layout.

AlphaSnake

My detailers are fixing the shit job Jaguar dealer's did. The car was coated with overspray too, luckily it was so fresh the clay bar took it all off. And the paint is looking even better than the first time it was done 4 months ago.

Btw, now my Jag dealer started putting stickers on my window that say "DO NOT TOUCH. THANK YOU." LOLOL.

I don't think that's fair. It gives a car wholly different driving dynamics and some pretty serious flaws, but they feel incredible to drive, and the grip they have coming out of corners is pretty nuts for RWD cars. Anyway, the 911s have always been very competitive in GT racing so there was no real need to change to a MR layout, but with rules changes allowing for larger rear diffusers it was either move the engine forward or consign themselves to never winning again.

For road cars, though, where diffusers don't make sense anyway, they'll stick with the super-duper cool ass-engine'd layout.

Yup, it's just cool as hell. And that's all that matters (for a road car).

Flo_Evans

From a sports car like a miata yeah they are boring. It really sucks because they used to be very fun to drive. Seems like they have gone full german.

negitoro7

Just say no to anything VW.

Garbage tier automobile.

I've got a MK7 R and previous car was MK6 GTI. They're fantastic cars at their price points for the enthusiast who can only have one do-it-all car in their stable. I don't understand your strong negative opinion of them at all.

SliChillax

I've got a MK7 R and previous car was MK6 GTI. They're fantastic cars at their price points for the enthusiast who can only have one do-it-all car in their stable. I don't understand your strong negative opinion of them at all.
I agree, the Mk7 Golf R is an amazing machine. Beautiful package inside and out.

Are y'all ready?

If it didn't have the performance pack with the electronic diff it's not worth even looking at it.

Ugh, got caught speeding on my way home from school last night. Was a 51 in a 35. Was a small section of road that was 45 the entire way but switched to 35 for no reason. There's no real notice that the speed changed either, especially when it's pitch black. Gonna go to court because I can't afford a $150 ticket.

FStop7

Banned
I just read that McLaren is already underway with the design and production of another hypercar. This time a 3 seater that's being billed as the official successor to the F1.

SliChillax

Ugh, got caught speeding on my way home from school last night. Was a 51 in a 35. Was a small section of road that was 45 the entire way but switched to 35 for no reason. There's no real notice that the speed changed either, especially when it's pitch black. Gonna go to court because I can't afford a $150 ticket.
Is going to court and getting a lawyer cheaper than paying a $150 ticket? If I was in a financial situation where I couldn't afford to pay a $150 ticket then I would either not drive or pay triple attention to the road. Why are you taking it to court anyway? Gonna tell them you shouldn't have gotten a ticket because the speed decrease makes no sense? Good luck with that.

Top Bottom