• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Anion

I need a recommendation lol...

Its that time of the year that I finally will buy winter tires and rims. I was looking at the Sparco Trofeo 5 rims (Trofeo 5 - O.Z. Racing). They are really cheap on various websites, so that's why I kinda want them. I just don't know if the bronze ones will look good or flat out bad on my red CLA lol. I was thinking of the bronze or the regular grey ones. The matte black aren't my thing, but I could get it. The website doesn't show the grey ones, but they do exist. Here are pics of them on BMWs lol:

20151206_150117.jpg

I would totally be adventurous with bronze if it doesn't look too bad haha

Picture of my car in the good old summer btw

Thinking about selling my 2015 Mustang GT for a used 2016 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI (230hp). Got some really great offers from Audi here, I would actually spend half the money on a monthly basis for the car (including LED lights, S-Line packages, Bang & Olufsen Sound, Navigation, etc) than for my current Mustang.

Besides the money, I think with the LEDs and S-Line exterior the Audi looks really great and the digital cockpit could be really cool. And here in germany the parking space is really bad, so it would be way more practical.

What do you think? I'm not really decided atm. Rearseat space is btw not important for me.

Tomorrow I can testdrive the TT for about 2 hours.

My Mustang:
attachment.php

Audi TT:
03-2016-audi-tt-fd-1.jpg

Cowie

Thinking about selling my 2015 Mustang GT for a used 2016 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI (230hp). Got some really great offers from Audi here, I would actually spend half the money on a monthly basis for the car (including LED lights, S-Line packages, Bang & Olufsen Sound, Navigation, etc) than for my current Mustang.

Besides the money, I think with the LEDs and S-Line exterior the Audi looks really great and the digital cockpit could be really cool. And here in germany the parking space is really bad, so it would be way more practical.

What do you think? I'm not really decided atm. Rearseat space is btw not important for me.

My Mustang:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=93744&stc=1&d=1472848857

Audi TT:
http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dim...33/8/S2921338/slug/l/03-2016-audi-tt-fd-1.jpg

I'd say to take them up on that testdrive and see what you think. It'll definitely be a downgrade in power from your GT, but I also think Audi's turbo 4 feels a bit peppier than the numbers suggest, so it might be all you need. And I love the look of the new TT.

I think someone posted in this thread about buying a 2016 TT over the summer (in a gorgeous daytona grey), they might have some insight for you?

MemoryHumanity said:
My Fiesta ST lease is up in November, so I'm looking at my next car. I'm gonna buy this time, and my budget is around £20k tops. Looking at getting one of the following second hand

Sooo, the lease company let me buy my FiST. At just under £11k, I had to! Paperwork signed, payment taken next week, then she's all mine :)

10658915_10155397976010355_3632196846273949057_o.jpg

10830753_10155397975420355_387135546172905558_o.jpg

15167667_10158302944080355_8539470592060844210_o.jpg

KidOmega

Gaf need some opinions. I am looking to treat myself to a new car for the Black Friday weekend. I'm looking at leasing. I've always financed but I always end up trading out after 3 years or so. I enjoy having newer cars.

So I'd be trading in my 2014 Accord V6 EX-L for a 2017 Accord Touring V6. It's the highest trim level. Currently I pay $475 monthly on my car. They're giving me $18,000 for the trade in. My monthly payment on the new car lease would be $500 with zero money down. I do owe $20,743 on the car I'm trading in which gives me about $2700 negative equity.

It seems to me like I'm getting a pretty good deal. I'm getting the highest trim level Accord you can get, MSRP is $35,240 but I negotiated down to $31,060, and only paying $25 dollars extra per month. It seems like the negative equity is being bought up. Should I pull the trigger? Wanted some advice from any car gaffers. Thanks!

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Gaf need some opinions. I am looking to treat myself to a new car for the Black Friday weekend. I'm looking at leasing. I've always financed but I always end up trading out after 3 years or so. I enjoy having newer cars.

So I'd be trading in my 2014 Accord V6 EX-L for a 2017 Accord Touring V6. It's the highest trim level. Currently I pay $475 monthly on my car. They're giving me $18,000 for the trade in. My monthly payment on the new car lease would be $500 with zero money down. I do owe $20,743 on the car I'm trading in which gives me about $2700 negative equity.

It seems to me like I'm getting a pretty good deal. I'm getting the highest trim level Accord you can get, MSRP is $35,240 but I negotiated down to $31,060, and only paying $25 dollars extra per month. It seems like the negative equity is being bought up. Should I pull the trigger? Wanted some advice from any car gaffers. Thanks!
I think it really only depends on whether you want a new car or not. The $475 that you would continue to pay on your current car would net you some equity in the car over the next three years, while a new lease will be pure cost. In that sense it's more than just $25 more.

Whether the lease itself is a good deal is hard to say without knowing the money factor and fee. 36 * $500 is $18,000, which seems like a lot for a $31,060 car?

The 2014 and 2017 models with the same engine also don't really seem that different from one another to me.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

You're doing well, admittedly. You can go as much as $4500-5000 lower than MSRP on the V6 models. You're about there. Ask to see if they can take off another $500 off on their end and add another 500 to your trade in. That'll get you just around the monthly payment of where you are now. Tell them, if they do it, you'll sign the papers immediately.

Once they hear you're committed to the deal, they'll work to get it done.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

Posted in the other thread, but this seems like a bad deal to me.

You're paying like 18k for a 31k dollar car.... even off 35k, that's only 50% residual value, that's pretty brutal.

Recognize that 75 dollars a month of your monthly payment is paying for your OLD car (the 2700 in negative equity).

And recognize that a 500 dollar a month lease payment can get you a lot nicer vehicle than a Honda Accord (aka BMW 3 Series, Audi 3, etc). If you can find a 2016 3 series on the lot, you might be able to get 67% residual, which will make up for any price difference.

I'd be careful

KidOmega

You're paying like 18k for a 31k dollar car.... even off 35k, that's only 50% residual value, that's pretty brutal.

Recognize that 75 dollars a month of your monthly payment is paying for your OLD car (the 2700 in negative equity).

And recognize that a 500 dollar a month lease payment can get you a lot nicer vehicle than a Honda Accord (aka BMW 3 Series, Audi 3, etc). If you can find a 2016 3 series on the lot, you might be able to get 67% residual, which will make up for any price difference.

I'd be careful

Thanks for the honest advice. It's really helpful. I've never really examined leases.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Thanks for the honest advice. It's really helpful. I've never really examined leases.
Since the price that you negotiated is good, I would guess that they are getting you on the money factor (basically interest), acquisition fee (plain mark-up) or residual value (the percentage that they'll be buying the care back for). You should also expect some cost for dings and scratches when you return the car.

KidOmega

Since the price that you negotiated is good, I would guess that they are getting you on the money factor (basically interest), acquisition fee (plain mark-up) or residual value (the percentage that they'll be buying the care back for). You should also expect some cost for dings and scratches when you return the car.

Haven't closed the deal yet. Now I'm leaning to just keeping my current 2014 Accord. It's a V6 EX-L. It not a bad car and I have less than three years left on financing contract.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Haven't closed the deal yet. Now I'm leaning to just keeping my current 2014 Accord. It's a V6 EX-L. It not a bad car and I have less than three years left on financing contract.

I wouldn't trade it in until you are positive equity on it / break even.

Then (if you do want to start leasing/and like new cars every few year) look around and find the best lease special you can. The German automakers will bump the residuals up to 65-67% at times with low money factors.

Learn the concepts of the lease calculation before you go. Do not just base if off monthly payment.

As always, note breaking up with a company you're leasing from is hard and expensive (dings / charges/ disposal fees... many of which can be lessened if you just lease an additional car with them) --- and you're signing up to always have a car payment

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Sooo, the lease company let me buy my FiST. At just under £11k, I had to! Paperwork signed, payment taken next week, then she's all mine :)

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/10658915_10155397976010355_3632196846273949057_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9[/mg]

[img]https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/10830753_10155397975420355_387135546172905558_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9[img]

[img]https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/15167667_10158302944080355_8539470592060844210_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9[img][/QUOTE]
I am thinking about buying one as well. Did you have any issues with it?

I am thinking about buying one as well. Did you have any issues with it?

Like, actual mechanical issues? The brakes can make a bit of an offputting grating/scraping kind of noise if the car's been standing for a while. Also, one of the bulbs in the light-up sill plate went, but they fixed it on warranty.

As for actual engine issues, not a one.

matmanx1

10658915_10155397976010355_3632196846273949057_o.jpg

10830753_10155397975420355_387135546172905558_o.jpg

15167667_10158302944080355_8539470592060844210_o.jpg

Grats! That's a great feeling. Nothing sweeter than a driving a great car that you got at a great deal.

So I promised to post a pic once my dad got his Jaguar F-Pace and here it is (I'm late though cause the car has been with us for almost 2 months now):

Awesome! I'd love to hear some more impressions from folks that own these. I know they haven't been in the wild very long but they seem really, really good.

AlphaSnake

I'd be careful

Holy shit. This was for a lease? How the fuck did I not even notice that.

Yeah, no. I probably wouldn't do this either. $500 to lease a Honda is waaaayyy too much. V6 Hondas have horrible residuals, that's why it's so expensive.

Sell your Honda privately or at least have a dealer take it for close to what you owe to negate the loss of equity as much as possible (or maybe even break even). And for $500 you can lease an Infiniti Q50 or Q60 Red Sport 400 and such, as the other poster mentioned.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Like, actual mechanical issues? The brakes can make a bit of an offputting grating/scraping kind of noise if the car's been standing for a while. Also, one of the bulbs in the light-up sill plate went, but they fixed it on warranty.

As for actual engine issues, not a one.
exactly that. thank you!

Zyzyxxz

Grats! That's a great feeling. Nothing sweeter than a driving a great car that you got at a great deal.

Awesome! I'd love to hear some more impressions from folks that own these. I know they haven't been in the wild very long but they seem really, really good.

Likewise

Pinewood

I think I already asked this, but if any of you were looking for a fun everyday car in the sub 5k range, what would you go for?

So far Ive driven an Alfa GT that I liked, an Alfa 159 that was a good car but ultimately didnt give me the right vibe, a 2005 Audi A4 2.0T that was nice but the steering felt really weird and a 2006 Golf GT that was actually quite nice.

I will say that I dont NEED a car, but I enjoy driving and would like something that would put a smile on my face when I fire it up.

Futaba

I think I already asked this, but if any of you were looking for a fun everyday car in the sub 5k range, what would you go for?

So far Ive driven an Alfa GT that I liked, an Alfa 159 that was a good car but ultimately didnt give me the right vibe, a 2005 Audi A4 2.0T that was nice but the steering felt really weird and a 2006 Golf GT that was actually quite nice.

I will say that I dont NEED a car, but I enjoy driving and would like something that would put a smile on my face when I fire it up.
MX5 all day long.

AlphaSnake

So I promised to post a pic once my dad got his Jaguar F-Pace and here it is (I'm late though cause the car has been with us for almost 2 months now):

Awesome! Love this car.

If you have the 3.0 V6 SC Petrol, the noises it makes are rather awesome for an SUV.

The answer is always Miata

boltz

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Though the bronze does look good alone lol

You can't go wrong with either but the bronze would be more unique and standout more.

I test drove a GT at the LA auto show today and the automatic killed it for me, but the exhaust note was pretty awesome sounding. Also, the view of the hood made me feel like I was driving a tank and that I could crush anything in my path :p

But did you get a chance to test drive the TT?

Congrats, although I would get choose a 4dr version of the FiST for the practicality, the 2dr version that we Americans don't get has much nicer-looking proportions. Are you keeping it stock?

Personally, I don't see much reason to upgrade from a 2014 to a 2017 Accord if you're not getting any powertrain or engine improvements out of it. Sure, you'll get refreshed styling and more features, but that's not worth starting over on a new set of payments for.

Hit us with your impressions so far!

Looking at copping one of these in 2017 since I moved back to a snowy state

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
tell your friend I think the stripes make it look slower.

What's so bad about all of this is the Sam guy getting his name dropped by the idiot and having his reputation come into question. This E-gear dude is a desperate, delusional, unsympathetic, habitual liar.

I think you're looking at it too simply. I think it's a long con, engineered by an onsessive Nissan stan, to make Porsches look slow.
Like stripes do.

Smokey

Man seeing those lease numbers and what you could get in, and aligning those with what I financed for my BMW...I feel like I could've been in a M5/M6 lol

But I got my title in the mail, so it's official official. Now it's time to take inspiration from NoLove and look into modding!

No Love

Banned
Man seeing those lease numbers and what you could get in, and aligning those with what I financed for my BMW...I feel like I could've been in a M5/M6 lol

But I got my title in the mail, so it's official official. Now it's time to take inspiration from NoLove and look into modding!

Hell yeah. You keeping the E93 335i and making it faster?

Smokey

Hell yeah. You keeping the E93 335i and making it faster?

Yeah I'm keeping it until it gets to a point where it doesnt financially make sense to do so.

The first thing I'm gonna do in the next month or so are replace my brakes with slotted rotors and ceramic pads and some other maintenance items. After that get a performance tuner. I want to change some of the aesthetics (kidney grills, the chrome window seal on e93). Then exhaust. I have a lot on my mind lol

Btw I went to a shop to get a quote on new brakes and labor. They quoted me $1700ish.

I went and chose my own parts online and after shipping and tax it came to around $600ish. Are they really trying to charge 1k for labor? FOH. Actually going to do it myself with my uncle who has a bunch of experience with this stuff.

mkenyon

Banned

I'm just sayin'

I look No Love's advice and ended up smiling every day I drive my car.

First snow just hit last night though. Debating whether to keep it in the garage all winter or get some snow tires for every-now-and-then situations.

golem

I went and chose my own parts online and after shipping and tax it came to around $600ish. Are they really trying to charge 1k for labor? FOH. Actually going to do it myself with my uncle who has a bunch of experience with this stuff.
Pads and rotors are pretty simple on the e9x. Just did my pads a few months ago

Got my new(to me) springs and bumpstops in the mail today!

NC1 Progress Springs and FCM Sport Bumpstops(both with less than 3k miles) all for less than $250.

Now to save up another $600 for the install and alignment lol.

I could probably have a few friends over and help me install but I don't fnck with spring compressors so I'll gladly pay a pro to do it.

Top Bottom