• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

No Love

Banned
Yeah I'm keeping it until it gets to a point where it doesnt financially make sense to do so.

The first thing I'm gonna do in the next month or so are replace my brakes with slotted rotors and ceramic pads and some other maintenance items. After that get a performance tuner. I want to change some of the aesthetics (kidney grills, the chrome window seal on e93). Then exhaust. I have a lot on my mind lol

Btw I went to a shop to get a quote on new brakes and labor. They quoted me $1700ish.

I went and chose my own parts online and after shipping and tax it came to around $600ish. Are they really trying to charge 1k for labor? FOH. Actually going to do it myself with my uncle who has a bunch of experience with this stuff.

Yeah they're scammers. Rotors and pads are easy, just tedious due to brake fluid pumping afterwards.

Get a Juicebox 4 for $300-400 and be happy. Put it on map 5 and live the good life.

I'm just sayin'

I look No Love's advice and ended up smiling every day I drive my car.

First snow just hit last night though. Debating whether to keep it in the garage all winter or get some snow tires for every-now-and-then situations.

I'm glad the M5 is treating you well, it really is a phenomenal car. I drove mine in the rain the last two days and only had the traction control light come on once during heavy rain, even on RE71r's which perform really well in the rain by my standards.

I am thinking about getting rid of my OEM wheels and getting some BBS RS-GT's or LM's and maybe some Ohlins suspension.

Futaba

Yeah I'm keeping it until it gets to a point where it doesnt financially make sense to do so.

The first thing I'm gonna do in the next month or so are replace my brakes with slotted rotors and ceramic pads and some other maintenance items. After that get a performance tuner. I want to change some of the aesthetics (kidney grills, the chrome window seal on e93). Then exhaust. I have a lot on my mind lol

Btw I went to a shop to get a quote on new brakes and labor. They quoted me $1700ish.

I went and chose my own parts online and after shipping and tax it came to around $600ish. Are they really trying to charge 1k for labor? FOH. Actually going to do it myself with my uncle who has a bunch of experience with this stuff.
Hardest part about rotors and pads is getting the rotor off and even then its only really hard if its been on there a long time and the last install didn't use copper grease, or OEM pads.
When I changed my 86's rotors even though the car was only 2 years old I had to kick the shit out if the rotors to crack them free.

Just remember a nice, long bristled wire brush and a pot of copper grease so when the pads and rotors are off you can clean all the crap out and insure that somewhere long into the future you'll be able to get them back off again easily.

Very easy overall though!, garage were definitely trying to scam you on price

Yeah $1700 is way too much for replacing brakes. They're generally very easy to swap* and someone with experience can do a whole car in an hour. Only thing I can think of is that they just slapped one hour for each wheel and were using genuine BMW parts.

* Replacing rotors on some cars involves disassembling hubs and repacking wheel bearings, but it looks like the rotors on the E90 are all bolt-on over hub style. Lucky you!

SliChillax

Well this looks ugly. Looks like those cheap models they make for 3rd world countries

ford-fiesta-2017-leaked-1.jpg

Smokey

Yeah $1700 is way too much for replacing brakes. They're generally very easy to swap* and someone with experience can do a whole car in an hour. Only thing I can think of is that they just slapped one hour for each wheel and were using genuine BMW parts.

* Replacing rotors on some cars involves disassembling hubs and repacking wheel bearings, but it looks like the rotors on the E90 are all bolt-on over hub style. Lucky you!

They did tell me it was OEM parts but even then...

X-Frame

What's up everyone?

I'm a new 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 owner (GT w/ Tech Package) and am looking for some useful starter links/guides for detailing so that this car survives the upcoming NY winter.

Can anyone recommend anything I can check out? Thanks everyone.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
They did tell me it was OEM parts but even then...

My best friend just did his pads+rotors on his 2011 335i Vert. He got his rotors from Zimmerman. They are all over the BMW forums too and no one has a bad thing to say about them.

Evo X

Shorter gear ratios was all it needed to become 11/10, let alone the rest.

I contacted Sharkwerks and they said they can add the performance mods from the video to my car for $18K. Figure another $2k to ship it to Fremont, CA.

I want to do it, but that gets the total cost to me damn near 991.2 GT3 money....

boltz

Well this looks ugly. Looks like those cheap models they make for 3rd world countries

ford-fiesta-2017-leaked-1.jpg

I like it - it's not drastically different from the current one, but from what I can see the proportions work out better and the car looks less goofy. Bring on the FiST!

What's up everyone?

I'm a new 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 owner (GT w/ Tech Package) and am looking for some useful starter links/guides for detailing so that this car survives the upcoming NY winter.

Can anyone recommend anything I can check out? Thanks everyone.

Congrats; I don't know too much about detailing, but I hear about folks in your climate getting underbody coatings to stave off rust.

Pinewood

I really, REALLY like how the new Audi Q2 (And the A1 which it is based on I guess?) look. They had a red Q2 on display in our airport and that thing is so, so nice.

Viperbah

I contacted Sharkwerks and they said they can add the performance mods from the video to my car for $18K. Figure another $2k to ship it to Fremont, CA.

I want to do it, but that gets the total cost to me damn near 991.2 GT3 money....

18K for those mods ?

Seems like you could buy the parts plus a car lift to do it yourself and probably still save 10k.

18K for those mods ?

Seems like you could buy the parts plus a car lift to do it yourself and probably still save 10k.

18k sure seems like a lot, but custom cut gears, the R&D behind those gears, and transmission removal and dis/re-assembly would be very expensive on its own. Lots of things in modern Porsche transmissions break when you start disassembling them, and then you find yourself needing plenty of $600 bearings.

boltz

Ordered some new wheels and thinking of getting them powder coated. It seems like a pretty routine thing, but I've read things about how the process can weaken wheels since it involves high heat.

What are your thoughts on that? Is it something I should worry about?

Ordered some new wheels and thinking of getting them powder coated. It seems like a pretty routine thing, but I've read things about how the process can weaken wheels since it involves high heat.

It's not cured at such a high temperature that it should damage wheels. 400F or so.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

whats the cost? does it last?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Long Term Drive Review:

I freakin' love my car. I literally look forward to my commute. Also Apple Carplay finally started working properly. Thanks Apple.

FStop7

Banned
I drove down to Miami from Sarasota for Art Basel. Coolest sighting so far was a 918 Spyder about halfway between Naples and Ft. Lauderdale.

I also saw a Bentley Bentayga in person for the first time. I was behind and next to it on the interstate for a good 5 minutes before I realized what it was. I'm not trying to be derogatory but from the back and side it looks like a Buick at first glance. The front is much more distinctive. I'm sure it's luxurious and awesome on the inside but it from the outside it lacks the presence that a Bentley should have.

In Miami proper it's been a Huracan, Gallardo, and 458 filled day. One Aventador with a wild camo pattern wrap that was a mix of gray and day-glo green. It looked like a player created paint job in Forza. I liked it, the Aventador is probably the only car that can pull it off.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I drove down to Miami from Sarasota for Art Basel. Coolest sighting so far was a 918 Spyder about halfway between Naples and Ft. Lauderdale.

I also saw a Bentley Bentayga in person for the first time. I was behind and next to it on the interstate for a good 5 minutes before I realized what it was. I'm not trying to be derogatory but from the back and side it looks like a Buick at first glance. The front is much more distinctive. I'm sure it's luxurious and awesome on the inside but it from the outside it lacks the presence that a Bentley should have.

In Miami proper it's been a Huracan, Gallardo, and 458 filled day. One Aventador with a wild camo pattern wrap that was a mix of gray and day-glo green. It looked like a player created paint job in Forza. I liked it, the Aventador is probably the only car that can pull it off.

I didn't know you were from FL.

Glad you're enyoing the ride, though! And yeah, you'll see tons of shit on the I-75 heading to Miami.

Thanks - to be safe I'll get in touch with the wheel manufacturer.

It's meant to be a permanent paint job. The prices in my area seem to be in the $100 range per wheel.

Asked our resident wheel guy at work and nah powdercoating doesn't really damage anything, unless of course the guy doing doesn't know wtf he's doing.

That said, he explicitly tells every customer that he ain't liable for shit when something happens, especially on aftermarket or unique wheels. It's more of a precaution as he's had a few people come in and try to blame him for random shit like scuffs that "shouldn't have happened" or whatever.

Guilty of rubbing right here.

Though it's more of my tires fault as they've got a thicker sidewall, whereas before when I ran low profile summer tires, the tires never rubbed at all.

I'm gonna get it fixed in a few weeks though. My new springs should raise the car by .5 inches from where it is now, pair that with better bumpstops I'm hoping it works out, otherwise I'm gonna have to consult a proper alignment guy and go from there.

Momentary

Banned
The new "Supra" is not looking very tempting so far. I mean I know it's still camouflaged, but the outline of it looks like a beefed up 86. At least they got the LC.

Stinkles

3. Sacrificing the Driving Experience for Style

Bullshit. These are both subjective preferences and easily swapped. Otherwise everyone would be driving a modded Miata.

In fact, style is 100% visible and "enjoyable" whereas driving dynamics require track days or emergency maneuvers or Mustang cars and coffee exits.

OBJECTIVELY style fans get better bang for their buck and more often.

Personally I like a holistic experience that combines both, but it's fucking ABSURD to claim one is more important than the other with the range of style and dynamics.

Most driftable cars are driftable because of a fundamental FLAW for example, yet it's still an amazing part of the scene.

No Love

Banned
Bullshit. These are both subjective preferences and easily swapped. Otherwise everyone would be driving a modded Miata.

In fact, style is 100% visible and "enjoyable" whereas driving dynamics require track days or emergency maneuvers or Mustang cars and coffee exits.

Personally I like a holistic experience that combines both, but it's fucking ABSURD to claim one is more important than the other with the range of style and dynamics.

Most driftable cars are driftable because of a fundamental FLAW for example, yet it's still an amazing part of the scene.

You wouldn't know about the driving experience because you drive an Audi. 😉

Pinewood

But they arent really street driveable though, are they? Lets take stance cars, for example. Do they look cool? For some people, yes, but is it really worth it if you need to solw down at an intersection because it there are tracks worn in and you will scrape your car to hell and back?

Stinkles

But they arent really street driveable though, are they? Lets take stance cars, for example. Do they look cool? For some people, yes, but is it really worth it if you need to solw down at an intersection because it there are tracks worn in and you will scrape your car to hell and back?

Well you and I would hate it, but that's not the point. That audience LOVES it. And in the case of Stance, even if it's just an old lady marveling at the nonsense camber and clearance, she's more likely to see that than a mediocre run at track day.

this blows.

i was ready to buy some downpipes and the new bootmod3 flash for my car only to find out the bmw has now released some software to all dealers which catches tunes, stops E85 and meth use.

it seemed like they were fairly mod friendly overall in the past but this doesnt sound good.

Futaba

This morning my wife called and asked if she could buy herself a little something for Christmas since I'm out of the country for a few months, I said yes.

She's gone and ordered a Kahn XS90, and there was me expecting at at most a new tv..

This morning my wife called and asked if she could buy herself a little something for Christmas since I'm out of the country for a few months, I said yes.

She's gone and ordered a Kahn XS90, and there was me expecting at at most a new tv..

Wow! I had to look that up, aren't they like 80,000 UK pounds? Is she planning on a around the world safari?

Top Bottom