• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Q60 2.0T down payment is $4000.

Q60 3.0T down payment is $3400 -- $420/month.

Not worth it at this point with such a large down payment.

Ahhh my friend. You seem to be new to the leasing game?

These are all based on MSRP numbers. Infinitis regularly sell below invoice, let alone MSRP.

Q50s can be had for $299 in the past with nothing down except for 1st + DMV + Bank fees (usually around $1100 total). The incentives are crazy on them sometimes, which makes them terrific to lease. A Q60 would be about $50-60 more. If you walked in there and said you wanted a Q60 Coupe 3.0T for $360 a month and only will pay 1100 up front, you'll probably get a deal (I believe there may be some incentives going on)

ascii42

ZR4lzKF.jpg

Damn, I need this kit on my F30

Thanks to The Grand Tour, the first thing that comes to mind is whether that's brown or orange.

Ovid

Ahhh my friend. You seem to be new to the leasing game?

These are all based on MSRP numbers. Infinitis regularly sell below invoice, let alone MSRP.

Q50s can be had for $299 in the past with nothing down except for 1st + DMV + Bank fees (usually around $1100 total). The incentives are crazy on them sometimes, which makes them terrific to lease.

I leased a '12 G37 in 2012. I paid $299/month and I think I put down somewhere between $1500-2000 (I can't remember exactly).

A Q60 would be about $50-60 more. If you walked in there and said you wanted a Q60 Coupe 3.0T for $360 a month and only will pay 1100 up front, you'll probably get a deal (I believe there may be some incentives going on)

I had no idea you could do that. How long would they allow you to lease the vehicle though? 18, 24, 36 months?

AlphaSnake

I leased a '12 G37 in 2012. I paid $299/month and I think I put down somewhere between $1500-2000 (I can't remember exactly).

I had no idea you could do that. How long would they allow you to lease the vehicle though? 18, 24, 36 months?

Well there you go. You've already owned a similar vehicle for the low cost.

Short leases are always going to be more expensive, because the most depreciation occurs in the first 2 years of a car's life. So it's all front loaded. 36-39 months is the most balanced and cheapest, with the rare occasion of a 42 month lease also being very solid.

Just keep in mind, the Q60 3.0T is a very new car, so I don't know how much they'll want to move on these prices. But Infinitis generally go 5-6K below MSRP price (which, when residualized, amounts to $2300-3000 of cash you don't have to fork out of pocket).

Looking at a Q60 3.0T in base form...invoice is $3K below MSRP. You can easily shave another 1K to go below invoice and maybe even some more. I don't have the numbers to crunch right now, but it seems like high-300s is doable.

Oddly enough, i LITERALLY just got a text from a friend who picked up a Q50 3.0T, AWD, Navi, Premium, cold weather today in the morning. $0 down. $380 a month.

Evo X

Snapped a pic going 44mph in the GT4 with 4444 miles on the odometer. Probably should have dropped to 4th gear too. lol

QuMwHAU.jpg

Pinewood

Tried a mk2 Audi TT with the 3.2 V6 and a 1.4 Scirocco today. Since I only got to drive the TT on the lot (no winter tires) cant say much about real world driving but the engine did sound pretty good while the steering was pretty light like the A4 I tried. The Sciroccos wheel had a much better weight to it and it seemed to give better feedback of the road. The engine sounded really muffled and toned down. It was plenty fast, interior was nicer, it was overall roomier than the TT. The manual is more fun than the DSG too. And I still want to go back and give a TT another go on the streets because of quattro and the engine.

matmanx1

How is it as a daily driver? My colleague has a Cayman and my Besty has a boxster and they both swear by them as commuter cars.

Having driven a Boxster as a commuter car for 6 months I can tell you that the car is capable so long as you aren't overly sensitive to noise. That flat 6 behind your head wails, especially if you rev it out, and then you have the normal convertible wind noise going on also. Oh, and the stereo was pretty bad but mine was a base 987 version. Maybe they are better now. I did get mid 20's mpg out of it though, even with a heavy foot.

They Cayman test drives I took I liked better. Not as much wind noise and the pitch of the engine seemed to be a little nicer to my ears. If I had to do it again and it was going to be a commuter then Cayman > Boxster for me.

Evo X

How is it as a daily driver? My colleague has a Cayman and my Besty has a boxster and they both swear by them as commuter cars.

If you are asking about the GT4, it's doable if not exactly ideal. The GTS was a better daily, along with S and Base I'd presume.

GT4 is too harsh to commute in, especially if you opt for the fixed back carbon 918 seats that are a hassle to get in and out of. Low ride height with stiff suspension. Loud engine, exhaust, and tires. Clutch is heavy and while it's no Ferrari, it still gets a fair amount of much attention.

Of course, none of that has stopped me from driving the hell out of it over the summer. :D

I work from home so it's not really a commuter car for me. You have to be pretty committed to use it for that purpose. But the lower end models and pretty much every other non GT Porsches are fantastic for year round street use. That's what they're known for. My brother daily drove his 750hp 911 Turbo for years.

ruxtpin

Banned
^^^
I find Road & Track usually contains good articles about old and new. Unfortunately there are a ton of ads, but I think that's to be expected given the state of print publications.

The new Challenger got a pretty large scuff on the edge of the bumper near the headlights. I've a clearbra installed, but the bra is visibly rough where it's been scratched so I'm not sure if the paint was affected. Still trying to figure out how it happened, because I didn't hit anything and even if I had - or someone else hit me - I feel like the scratch should have been on the lower part of bumper as well. Such a hassle; emailing installers for a repair estimate.

Almost shit my pants earlier when I let an S class try to park itself lol.

Fncking thing turned the steering wheel by itself and I freaked the fnck out haha.

AlphaSnake

Almost shit my pants earlier when I let an S class try to park itself lol.

Fncking thing turned the steering wheel by itself and I freaked the fnck out haha.

Idk why...but when I was in an LS600 7 years ago and watching it do it, I felt...absolutely nothing. If anything, it upset me more than anything. The future will be drivers devoid of any actual skill. Damn fucking shame.

Pinewood

Idk why...but when I was in an LS600 7 years ago and watching it do it, I felt...absolutely nothing. If anything, it upset me more than anything. The future will be drivers devoid of any actual skill. Damn fucking shame.
>lives in a country where most drives have never seen a stick shift
>future

lol

New Smoking Tire video today. Matt Farah driving a very special Cayman. I love it, others definitely will not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjeKSumjcRA

Hm. I like everything about it but the engine. :)

Actually the motor seems like a good fit and they did a fantastic job with it (though the hatch staying open what???), I just don't like (read: really don't like) the sound of loud cross-plane V8s. And that one was just too damn loud in general.

matmanx1

Hm. I like everything about it but the engine. :)

Actually the motor seems like a good fit and they did a fantastic job with it (though the hatch staying open what???), I just don't like (read: really don't like) the sound of loud cross-plane V8s. And that one was just too damn loud in general.

See, I really LIKE the flat plane V8 sound! But something like that is totally subjective and I can appreciate that.

matmanx1

How in the fuck is a base model Cayman 718 as fast as a GT4?? 300HP my ass. No 300HP 3150lb car ever ran 1/4s and trapped speeds like this. These cars are easily making 325-330HP crank.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...an-pdk-automatic-test-reviews-acar-and-driver

Yeah, that is pretty crazy. Even so, as tested C/D's car was $75k, which is not cheap. One thing is for sure though, the base model 718's with the right options are seriously good sports cars. I would be happy to have one in my driveway someday.

No Love

Banned
How in the fuck is a base model Cayman 718 as fast as a GT4?? 300HP my ass. No 300HP 3150lb car ever ran 1/4s and trapped speeds like this. These cars are easily making 325-330HP crank.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...an-pdk-automatic-test-reviews-acar-and-driver

What's a huge trip is the PDK Cayman S is trapping and running 1/4 miles similar to a 2nd gen CTS V, older R35 GTR, C7 Corvette etc. Insanity.

Those 718 Cayman Ses will be monstrous with a tune. Easy extra 60-100 whp.

See, I really LIKE the flat plane V8 sound! But something like that is totally subjective and I can appreciate that.

That one's still the cross-plane, not the flat-plane like in the GT350. And speaking of, they took the flat-plane in the 350 and somehow managed to make it sound like a cross-plane through the exhaust, and overall it sounds butt-turrible (edit: To me, it's a really displeasing engine note, even in person).

No Love

Banned
That one's still the cross-plane, not the flat-plane like in the GT350. And speaking of, they took the flat-plane in the 350 and somehow managed to make it sound like a cross-plane through the exhaust, and overall it sounds butt-turrible (edit: To me, it's a really displeasing engine note, even in person).

I have a shitload of Mustangs where I live (all the loser Arab kids have their daddies buy them in all flavors: 5.0, Boss 302, Gt350, Shelbys etc) and they all sound TERRIBLE. No refinement at all to their sound, just a bunch of dirty pig fart sounds blended up with rasp

I have a shitload of Mustangs where I live (all the loser Arab kids have their daddies buy them in all flavors: 5.0, Boss 302, Gt350, Shelbys etc) and they all sound TERRIBLE. No refinement at all to their sound, just a bunch of dirty pig fart sounds blended up with rasp

It's a mystery to me, too. With the 350 you would think you'd be able to make a 5.2L flat-plane V8 sound absolutely baller, but to me it sounds surprisingly abrasive, like it has a vibration in the muffler or something. It's absurd, and I don't know why it sounds so bad. I was just trying to find a modded one that sounded good but I'm struggling--what is it that makes these engines sound so harsh?

Edit: Oh, because Ford is fucking dumb and the engine is full of compromises like whoa.

Here's a write-up from Edmund's. First off the crank is totally different than normal because it breathes better with their bad (read: cheap) manifold design, and then they can't exploit the benefits of the symmetrical firing order due to space constraints with the headers.

I mean just look at the headers... What? 4 into 3 into 1 each side? I... why?

ximm

Someone needs to take the engine out, give it proper intake manifolds and equal length headers, and then we can see what the engine can really sound like.

Edit: Close? Note quite equal length, but fuck damn does it ever sound miles better than a stock 350.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfZ8UMjuIeI

ascii42

let's play a game...

whats your next car?

Something useful. I've got my new fun car in the ATS and my old comfy classic in the Olds. If I ever get around to selling the Riviera I'm replacing it with vehicle I can move stuff in. Ideally a 1996 Buick Roadmaster, but an old pickup truck would work, too.

Something useful. I've got my new fun car in the ATS and my old comfy classic in the Olds. If I ever get around to selling the Riviera I'm replacing it with vehicle I can move stuff in. Ideally a 1996 Buick Roadmaster, but an old pickup truck would work, too.

nice. i remember when you bought the ATS. they look really good on the road...

Sold my C5 last month so I'm torn between...

C5 Z06, S2000 or 124 Abarth

I'd go c5 z06. are they cheaper than S2000s?

Top Bottom