• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Flo_Evans

let's play a game...

whats your next car?

A motorcycle :p

Probably a 4Runner to replace my cx-7. I'd like just a bit more cargo and towing capacity. And real 4wd. And more cylinders. Might just keep the cx-7 and get a beater ford truck.

Ask me again when the Brz is paid off in about 4.5 years.

let's play a game...

whats your next car?

I would like to move up to a 911 from my Boxster. Sadly, the air cooled / dry sump ones I want are quickly moving out of range. But whatever, I haven't even owned the Boxster for a full year, so I should enjoy that before I start looking for the next thing.

Like Flo said, a motorcycle is more likely. Either Buell #6 or a 916/996/998 to replace the one I still kinda miss.

I kind of have everything I want in terms of cars right now. Only thing I'd consider is selling the 944 track car, the 911sc and my Xterra then getting a 997.2 for a daily driver, but that would only be if I changed jobs to where I wouldn't have to visit job sites anymore. Driving 10-20 minutes down a dirt road to and from work to park in a muddy, gravel lot is not a nice thing to do in a 911.

But a part of me just wouldn't be able to bear parting with the SC...especially after I look at my maintenance cost records...

If would most definitely not part with the SC. Going water cooled would be a step down. Sure, they're faster, but it's just not the same.

Flo_Evans

I kind of have everything I want in terms of cars right now. Only thing I'd consider is selling the 944 track car, the 911sc and my Xterra then getting a 997.2 for a daily driver, but that would only be if I changed jobs to where I wouldn't have to visit job sites anymore. Driving 10-20 minutes down a dirt road to and from work to park in a muddy, gravel lot is not a nice thing to do in a 911.

But a part of me just wouldn't be able to bear parting with the SC...especially after I look at my maintenance cost records...

Sports car, truck and a track car is pretty nice. You need a motorcycle though ;)

TylerD

let's play a game...

whats your next car?

We will be getting a 2015 GLK 350 4matic with AMG and Lighting Packages when my girlfriend finishes school and gets her big girl job.

2013-GLK-Class-SUV-Gallery-008_GOE.jpg

I still haven't seen one with the lighting package in person but it transforms the front end.

I'm holding on to my 6spd E46 330ci ZHP for as long as I can. Freaking love that car and it has some new body work and trim thanks to some asshat in a Buick Enclave slowly pulling into me with his front left tire. I had some yellow scrapes back there from a mystery parking lot incident previously that are now repaired and the bumper is more secure than ever.

If would most definitely not part with the SC. Going water cooled would be a step down. Sure, they're faster, but it's just not the same.

The SC just isn't a car I can daily drive, especially with the exhaust I have on it right now (but oh man it sounds so good). I don't know that I could ever let it go, but modern 911s are so sweet to drive that it's something of a temptation.

Sports car, truck and a track car is pretty nice. You need a motorcycle though ;)

I have two! I mean I'm trying to sell one but right now I have two. A '12 Iron 883 (selling) and a '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II.

I have a problem. One man doesn't need five vehicles.

Anything to look out for while considering a 997.2 (2010-2012)?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
let's play a game...

whats your next car?

Interesting question.

I believe I have the car I've really always wanted (a bonkers all out Jag coupe). It's literally the car of my childhood dreams, since my first toy car was a Jaguar XKE (E-Type) Coupe. That may shed some light on my obsession with Jaguars, btw.

But, if I was forced to give it up for a sedan? I'd try to find a Jaguar XJ 5.0 Supercharged or an F10 BMW M5. Yes. BMW. You read that right.

Flo_Evans

The SC just isn't a car I can daily drive, especially with the exhaust I have on it right now (but oh man it sounds so good). I don't know that I could ever let it go, but modern 911s are so sweet to drive that it's something of a temptation.

I have two! I mean I'm trying to sell one but right now I have two. A '12 Iron 883 (selling) and a '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II.

Get a boat then I guess :p

Gritesh

We will be getting a 2015 GLK 350 4matic with AMG and Lighting Packages when my girlfriend finishes school and gets her big girl job.

I still haven't seen one with the lighting package in person but it transforms the front end.

Well currently own exactly this for my wife.
It serves her well in the winter looks nice still has the v6 instead of the new 4 banger and has all the bells and whistles you can get.

Bonus for us was we got it on model clear out about a year and a half ago for about the same price as a forester xt.

I wanted the forester xt but my wife loved this mercedes, some people hate the styling but she really likes it.

To add my next car after this 2015 sti is most certainly going to be a coupe. My dreams lie with a jaguar ftype or a porsche cayman.

Ideally it would be a 911 gts but my financial position will not allow for that in the immediate future.

Smokey

Interesting question.

I believe I have the car I've really always wanted (a bonkers all out Jag coupe). It's literally the car of my childhood dreams, since my first toy car was a Jaguar XKE (E-Type) Coupe. That may shed some light on my obsession with Jaguars, btw.

But, if I was forced to give it up for a sedan? I'd try to find a Jaguar XJ 5.0 Supercharged or an F10 BMW M5. Yes. BMW. You read that right.

I just...can't with you anymore

AlphaSnake

I just...can't with you anymore

I was waiting for you. That line was specifically for you, too.

I like how the F10s look, always have. And a used one is so cheap, with so much power. And it's a sedan, so I wouldn't be overly picky about a lot of stuff. But that'd be a distant second choice, anyway. :p

SliChillax

let's play a game...

whats your next car?
Currently have an M235i. Thinking between the M2 or Camaro 2SS. M2 prices over msrp are sketchy and waiting list is too long. Also rumors of the facelift getting the M4 S55 engine or B58 are kinda making me wait for an official announcement in 2017. Camaro is amazing and I kinda like it more than the M2 especially since it's cheaper and better equipped but it's not officially sold in Europe and nowhere to do services where I live. Also more expensive running costs I guess than the M2. I'll wait until June 2017 to decide.

SliChillax

I was waiting for you. That line was specifically for you, too.

I like how the F10s look, always have. And a used one is so cheap, with so much power. And it's a sedan, so I wouldn't be overly picky about a lot of stuff. But that'd be a distant second choice, anyway. :p
As long as it has the full leather interior, it's great inside too. It's not too flashy but I think it will age really well.

AlphaSnake

Currently have an M235i. Thinking between the M2 or Camaro 2SS. M2 prices over msrp are sketchy and waiting list is too long. Also rumors of the facelift getting the M4 S55 engine or B58 are kinda making me wait for an official announcement in 2017. Camaro is amazing and I kinda like it more than the M2 especially since it's cheaper and better equipped but it's not officially sold in Europe and nowhere to do services where I live. Also more expensive running costs I guess than the M2. I'll wait until June 2017 to decide.

BMW M240i is already out, using the B58 motor. But I somewhat doubt BMW will reinvest into dropping a hotter B58 in the M2, as it's such a low-volume car for them. If anything, a mild tune on the M2 just to give it some more room between the 240i and M2.

SliChillax

BMW M240i is already out, using the B58 motor. But I somewhat doubt BMW will reinvest into dropping a hotter B58 in the M2, as it's such a low-volume car for them. If anything, a mild tune on the M2 just to give it some more room between the 240i and M2.
I don't care about the M240i or power. I care about power delivery more than outright power. My M235i is faster than an F80 M3 in the quarter mile already let alone an M2. I just don't like how narrow the normal 2 series is. Only reason I want the B58 is because it's a newer engine with more updates and the power doesn't die at high rpm like it does in the N55.

TylerD

Well currently own exactly this for my wife.
It serves her well in the winter looks nice still has the v6 instead of the new 4 banger and has all the bells and whistles you can get.

Bonus for us was we got it on model clear out about a year and a half ago for about the same price as a forester xt.

I wanted the forester xt but my wife loved this mercedes, some people hate the styling but she really likes it.

To add my next car after this 2015 sti is most certainly going to be a coupe. My dreams lie with a jaguar ftype or a porsche cayman.

Ideally it would be a 911 gts but my financial position will not allow for that in the immediate future.

Awesome! That sounds like a great deal. She hates how same-y crossovers are looking now and LOVES the GLK styling. I'm right there with her. Have you had any trouble with it? Everything I have read says they should be pretty solid.

Cowie

let's play a game...

whats your next car?

Man, this changes weekly. I have trouble deciding exactly what I want, but since I can only keep one car where I live, I tend towards ridiculous overachieving sports sedans.

used Panamera 4s/gts/Turbo if the price and mileage are right

CPO XJ (R or Supercharged)

F-pace? XF Estate? (wishful thinking maybe)

Ignore my desire for my space and get an RS3? Hold out for the new SQ5 or S5 Sportback? CPO S6/A8 4.0?

Give up all pretense of youth and get a V90 or E400 wagon?

Be more realistic and just get a Mazda 6 or Kia Optima?

I'm all over the place these days.

AlphaSnake

I don't care about the M240i or power. I care about power delivery more than outright power. My M235i is faster than an F80 M3 in the quarter mile already let alone an M2. I just don't like how narrow the normal 2 series is. Only reason I want the B58 is because it's a newer engine with more updates and the power doesn't die at high rpm like it does in the N55.

Ah, yeah. The power falloff approaching 6K sucks.

I suppose, yeah. I would think twice about replacing something irreplaceable to make that happen though ;).

I hear that. Have you considered a Buell to replace the 883?

mkenyon

Banned
let's play a game...

whats your next car?
No idea.

If I could make the decision for myself and no one else to consider, I'd probably scoop up an Evo X for a winter car. I'd even consider going "Battle Car" style with it, and a slight lift. Looking out at 8" of snow right now, and I just want to go play in it.

I haven't really been considering it, but from what I've heard they're very reliable cars, and have eliminated the bearing issues that plagued the 996-997.1 generations.

Have been thinking of upgrading but the space constraint has been one of the reasons I am not taking the next step. My BRZ works as my only car but I don't know if a 911 will...

ascii42

I've been secretly looking for a lower mileage Subaru Baja turbo with a manual.

I kind of dig those. Same with the Brat. I did not know they had a turbo Baja. One of those with a manual would be fun, but I think I'd want something with a bigger bed if I got a pickup.

Falch

let's play a game...

whats your next car?

I've only had my MX-5 for 6 months so I'm not looking for something new quite yet personally. Our family car though (which is mainly used by my gf) will probably be replaced in 2018 or 2019. Front runner for that will be the new Mazda CX-5, but I'll definitely check out the Nissan Qashqai, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson and similar SUVs.

My parents just recently bought a Toyota CH-R hybrid and are taking delivery of it next week. What I've seen of it so far it's a real improvement over the current lineup of Toyotas both in looks and choice of materials. I'll post some impressions and pics if anyone's interested.

Pinewood

I've only had my MX-5 for 6 months so I'm not looking for something new quite yet personally. Our family car though (which is mainly used by my gf) will probably be replaced in 2018 or 2019. Front runner for that will be the new Mazda CX-5, but I'll definitely check out the Nissan Qashqai, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson and similar SUVs.

My parents just recently bought a Toyota CH-R hybrid and are taking delivery of it next week. What I've seen of it so far it's a real improvement over the current lineup of Toyotas both in looks and choice of materials. I'll post some impressions and pics if anyone's interested.
Saw the top of the line CHR in Italy, looks great and the interior was top notch too, quilted leather seats, wouldnt expect that from a Toyota

Falch

Saw the top of the line CHR in Italy, looks great and the interior was top notch too, quilted leather seats, wouldnt expect that from a Toyota

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Pictures don't do the design justice imo. They're taking delivery of a high-spec'd ash gray version. I've never driven a hybrid before so I'm interested in that too.

ShowDog

Got a new hard top for my S2000 after going the last 5 months as a DD without a top. My eyes, skin and ears are relieved. It doesn't rain often in socal, but when it did... it wasn't fun driving to work.

Thanks to No Love for recommending a local shop with good product! I got a decent deal.

cube444

let's play a game...

whats your next car?

Realistically I'm looking at spring of 2018 for something new. Not even sure where to begin at this point but thinking V8 and manual are a must.

I don't want to go the hybrid turbos and beefed up tranny clutch plates route with my current car. Have already thrown 15-20K into it. Currently at 370/600 to the wheels. Adding meth and hybrid turbos will just be too crazy for a DD.

Realistically I'm looking at spring of 2018 for something new. Not even sure where to begin at this point but thinking V8 and manual are a must.

I don't want to go the hybrid turbos and beefed up tranny clutch plates route with my current car. Have already thrown 15-20K into it. Currently at 370/600 to the wheels. Adding meth and hybrid turbos will just be too crazy for a DD.

do you track?

if so, SS 1LE Camaro.

FStop7

Banned
let's play a game...

whats your next car?

I don't know. I've owned sports cars since I was a teenager and part of me feels kind of burnt out on it all and yet I still love cars. I really do want a Porsche of some kind, I just hate being being financially married to a lump of steel. I spent a lot of money on my M6 and I don't know if I want to do that again. I'm tentatively planning to live in Europe for a year on the cheap in 2018, but it's still going to be expensive to live for a year without working. So any ambitions I have of spending money on a nice car will probably have to wait for at least a few more years.

Ideally speaking, it would be a new 911 S, stick shift, Miami Blue (or Mexico Blue paint to order)

Got a new hard top for my S2000 after going the last 5 months as a DD without a top. My eyes, skin and ears are relieved. It doesn't rain often in socal, but when it did... it wasn't fun driving to work.

Thanks to No Love for recommending a local shop with good product! I got a decent deal.

Holy shit.

There are days in NorCal where I don't want to drive my Miata top down because it's too hot. And you drove it in the rain too. That is insane. But the car is worth it.

AlphaSnake

H...ho...how did you drive it in the pouring rain? Weren't you drenched? The car? The electronics and the interior?

I love how the car looks with a hard top, btw.

Laws00

let's play a game...

whats your next car?

oooh boy

The possibilities here...

I just bought my first car a Honda Civic EX 2016 this year. I would have never thought i'd like honda cars as much as I dogged them in the past.

I want something sporty, luxurious, or performance wise for my next car.

In the 4/5 years after this car is paid off I am looking at everything.

Hopefully by the time this happens:

A Honda S2000 successor

Honda Civic Typer R (I hate the rear view windows of hatchbacks but i'm interested)

other Europeans and Japanese cars

No Love

Banned

Looks amazing! You're welcome, so glad it turned out well for ya. :)

H...ho...how did you drive it in the pouring rain? Weren't you drenched? The car? The electronics and the interior?

S2000 doesn't get rained in when you're at speed on the freeway with top down. Only when you stop.

ShowDog

My commute is mostly a 40 mile freeway trip, I leave at 5:45AM so traffic is usually light and the rain quit before the end of the day (when I am stuck in traffic) so I did alright. As long as you keep it above ~60 it's all good. Probably a trip to see that cruise by you in a rainstorm, hahaha. I did get a little wet but not bad. A highway accident causing traffic would've ended me tho.

I like the looks but I second guess a little not getting a fiberglass one painted to match instead. I'm always thinking resale value and being able to sell the top seperately to an owner of any color S2000 put me over the top for CF. I think it looks pretty good too though.

Top Bottom