• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Anion

I just want it to snow already. Got winter tires and now there is no snow. Heck it was so hot that I couldn't drive my car last week for a few days

DrMungo

I have wheels with only five spokes and the stock brakes look gray, dusty, and slightly unfinished. I'm entertaining the idea of something to cover them up but I don't want to seem like a poser. It's a fine line between tasteful and "ricer"

Celcius

°Temp. member
Fun times tomorrow. Planning to use my day off to renew my drivers license (apparently you have to go do it in person every 12 years) and then going to get my state inspection + registration done. :(

boltz

I got a 5 year@1.95% on my ATS. While I paid off the Malibu early (the only other car I've had a loan on), I don't think I'll be paying off the ATS early since the interest rate is lower than my mortgage. Any extra money goes to that instead. Even if I do pay off the mortgage before I've finished making payments on the car, which is likely, I won't feel bad about paying 1.95% interest. I'd rather invest the money elsewhere.

That's my approach to car loans as well. If you have other high interest payments such as credit card debt, pay those off before a lower rate car loan. Or invest in something that has a higher return instead of paying off the car loan early.

I have wheels with only five spokes and the stock brakes look gray, dusty, and slightly unfinished. I'm entertaining the idea of something to cover them up but I don't want to seem like a poser. It's a fine line between tasteful and "ricer"

I've never seen any kind of caliper cover, but in your case folks typically paint the calipers. You should be good to go with a low key color like black. Bright colors are cool only if the brakes can back it up :)

Crayon

I paint mine on every car. I'm ghetto and do it right on the car. Just black high temp spray paint.

Pinewood

Damn. Firing missles over here. How do you guys so easily find so much ammo in someone's post history?

Something along the lines on getting your panties in a twist and having nothing better to do on New Years Eve than to go through someones post history to validate your point and feel good about yourself

Crayon

My favorite car.

I think.

Alfa%20Romeo%20SZ%20(1).jpg

brau

That's my approach to car loans as well. If you have other high interest payments such as credit card debt, pay those off before a lower rate car loan. Or invest in something that has a higher return instead of paying off the car loan early.

I think this is our mentality when i approached this thread for advice. I guess i could've mentioned a bit more of the background. This year on July my wife and i had our first baby. Hosp bills started coming, plus car, plus cost of living and all that jazz. We saved up smartly and we are 2 bills away from paying the full hosp stuff. Which is awesome. we'll also be paying up all of my wifes student loan which is a very very big sum. Which leaves us with the car, which we would like to reduce in payment even if its over a long period of time. Once we get our savings back up i can start throwing money to the car to pay it off early if possible.

Its nice, we are looking for a new place that will be better, and having a better budget helps keep everything in order with a lot more breathing room.

All the tips here tho helped. we are happy with the CRV. No issues so far, and its a reliable car that has been great.

Pinewood

My favorite car.

I think.

Alfa%20Romeo%20SZ%20(1).jpg

From Alfas Im still partial to the 916 GTV (because Im actually able to afford one haha) and would like to get one as a second car down at some point in my life (thought about just getting one now, but Id prefer something more practical, though when I went to drive the Giulietta there was a GTV standing there and jesus it looks good)

Shame the 916 Spider looks a bit off with the declining rear end.

We also looked at hondas deals and they have a 2016 CRV for $199 for 36 months at 1.9APR. So maybe that is something we can aim for, since its lower.

Because the 2017 just launched (albeit very quietly). It'll be awhile before they have good leases on the 2017s, but those also are quite a bit larger (and have the 1.5T in higher trims, to boot).

I was doing a valve adjustment when this little guy popped out and said hello.

Hello! Who are you? Head Stud, you say? Pleased to meet you, but shouldn't you be holding the head to the awww god damnit Head Stud.

I just had the engine and transmission out this summer, and now it's got to come out again to have the heads pulled and studs replaced. I just wanted to adjust my valves. :(

Well, it's only been about 5000 miles since I adjusted them, so at least it hasn't been running around without a head stud for long enough to wear the head out. I knew this was going to happen eventually, but still, wish I had thought to replace the studs when the engine was out.

And they keep the clutch depressed?

RIP Throwout bearings.

This is something I've been fighting myself tbh.

Every time I'm slowing down to a stop, I downshift to a gear below then once I'm on the brakes, I'm also on the clutch at the same time even if I'm above 20mph or whatever. It's a bad habit that I learned back when I started driving stick and it's a pain in the ass to stop myself from doing it lol.

I put the handbrake on at a stop when it's a hill or I just need to rest my leg a bit. I've got legs from god so that's rarely.

Yeah, this is also the only time I use my handbrake while on the road.

7 years of marching band also gave me killer legs so it's also very rare... hell I rarely even need to use the handbrake technique on an up hill since I can move my legs pretty fast haha.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I can honestly say I've never once used the handbrake on my 370Z on a hill when I had it. It was exclusively for parking.

Pinewood

I put the handbrake on at a stop when it's a hill or I just need to rest my leg a bit. I've got legs from god so that's rarely.

But you can just use the regular brake? Hell I dont even use the handbrake to park most of the time, I just leave it in gear

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Wait people put the handbrake on while stopped at a light?

RIP Throwout bearings.

neutral is a no no cause you cant take off immediately if needed, but the ebrake is fine?

matmanx1

I was doing a valve adjustment when this little guy popped out and said hello.

Hello! Who are you? Head Stud, you say? Pleased to meet you, but shouldn't you be holding the head to the awww god damnit Head Stud.

I just had the engine and transmission out this summer, and now it's got to come out again to have the heads pulled and studs replaced. I just wanted to adjust my valves. :(

Well, it's only been about 5000 miles since I adjusted them, so at least it hasn't been running around without a head stud for long enough to wear the head out. I knew this was going to happen eventually, but still, wish I had thought to replace the studs when the engine was out.

D'oh! Sorry man, that sucks. At least you caught it while the car wasn't running and before it caused serious damage. And honestly, being that it's a nearly 40 year old car (and a 911!!) I can't even say anything bad about it breaking. A lot off good miles went into wearing that stud out and a lot of fun miles will be had when the new ones are in!

No Love

Banned
But you can just use the regular brake? Hell I dont even use the handbrake to park most of the time, I just leave it in gear

Why would I use the regular brake if my leg is tired? The whole point is to take my feet off the pedals and relax at the light.

J-Rzez

Wait people put the handbrake on while stopped at a light?

RIP Throwout bearings.

Supposedly there's some "anti-glare" law in Euroland in stopped traffic to keep bright brake lights off or something so it's required to put on the handbrake to keep your foot off the brake pedal... I dont know lol.

But that's what I said in that thread. So many people just keep the clutch down. Enjoy the squeaky then shot throw out bearings.

kharma45

Supposedly there's some "anti-glare" law in Euroland in stopped traffic to keep bright brake lights off or something so it's required to put on the handbrake to keep your foot off the brake pedal... I dont know lol.

But that's what I said in that thread. So many people just keep the clutch down. Enjoy the squeaky then shot throw out bearings.

Is there? I don't recall that being mentioned about anti glare and it being a law. It was mentioned by myself and others that it's a lot easier at night if someone uses their handbrake at a set of lights when waiting than having a bright set of LED taillights burning away in front of you if you're sitting nose to tail. They're not going to blind you but it's not the nicest thing to stare into either.

The main reason for the handbrake being applied when at lights or a zebra crossing is safety in the rare case you get tail ended. Whether or not you agree that's the reasoning given by the DVSA here, and to hark back to it the point of the whole thread. How to drive for the UK driving test.

I don't remember anyone saying they applied the handbrake and held the clutch in either but I could have skimmed over it.

Crayon

This is something I've been fighting myself tbh.

Every time I'm slowing down to a stop, I downshift to a gear below then once I'm on the brakes, I'm also on the clutch at the same time even if I'm above 20mph or whatever. It's a bad habit that I learned back when I started driving stick and it's a pain in the ass to stop myself from doing it lol.

I used to have this habit because if you let off the gas in lot of cars, the drivetrain unloads and the is a small but annoying shock so I would open the clutch and then leave e it opens I slowed down, sometimes closing it to get some engine braking. My mom taught me to drive like this and honestly she's a pretty good driver as mom's go.

Now: Driving hard, I don't touch the clutch braking . Driving gently, I dab the clutch to smooth the unloading of the drivetrain just as I'm starting to bite the brakes.

boltz

E-brake while parking only for me. What about this one - do you leave your car in neutral while parked? That's how I learned but a couple of my friends put it in first gear while parked. The times that I have let them drive my car then I get scared shitless the next time I drive it because I release the clutch expecting it to be in neutral not first :(

Pinewood

Why would I use the regular brake if my leg is tired? The whole point is to take my feet off the pedals and relax at the light.
I usually just smash it and somehow it feels different enough from throttle play, idk

E-brake while parking only for me. What about this one - do you leave your car in neutral while parked? That's how I learned but a couple of my friends put it in first gear while parked. The times that I have let them drive my car then I get scared shitless the next time I drive it because I release the clutch expecting it to be in neutral not first :(
Thats why you always press the clutch when starting. I was taught neutral + handbrake in driving school but my parents said its a nono cause handbrakes might freeze during the winterK

Crayon

Dude always check your clutch and shift gate before starting a car. Should be just like putting on your seatbelt. Don't just assume it's in neutral even if you left it like that.

Pinewood

Buying a car on a lease is such a hassle, gotta choose the right bank, gotta choose the initial payment and residual, gotta choose insurance provider. Jeesh

Falch

Dude always check your clutch and shift gate before starting a car. Should be just like putting on your seatbelt. Don't just assume it's in neutral even if you left it like that.

Besides, there are good reasons to leave your car parked in gear.

D'oh! Sorry man, that sucks. At least you caught it while the car wasn't running and before it caused serious damage. And honestly, being that it's a nearly 40 year old car (and a 911!!) I can't even say anything bad about it breaking. A lot off good miles went into wearing that stud out and a lot of fun miles will be had when the new ones are in!

Yep, it sucks but it's not the end of the world. The studs were the main failure point in the 3.0L 911 engines due to the material Porsche used at the time. They were worried about corrosion so used a special material that ironically ended up wearing oddly and snapping; now they just get replaced with the steel all-threads used in the 993.

I was going to have it taken care of at a shop, but I got an initial estimate and decided I might just give it a try myself. I'll still have some head and cylinder work done and re-ring the pistons while I'm in there, but a bit of work at a machine shop is way cheaper than 40+ hours of top-tier Porsche mechanic time...

Unfortunately the engine has to look like this to replace them and I just want to drive my car... :'(

8I6vfIl.jpg

v1lla21

Hey bros, I lurk this thread a lot along with the MLB thread but I felt like participatomg after the recent driving thread.

I do the same when slowing down but I don't touch the clutch until I'm at 10mph or under and I'm coming to a complete stop. As far as handbrake goes I don't touch it unless I'm parking but I also put the car in first gear. Only time I've used the handbrake at a stop was at Monterey because of a hill and the car behind be got way too close.

As far as car problems I barely got my first "major" problem after 90k in my 2010 gti. Gotta replace the intake manifold but thankfully it's under extended warranty so I don't gotta pay a penny.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
alright, the evo met its match today. after a good 18" or so of snow yesterday, it went and rained over night. my driveway's incline and 6 or so inches of pure slush was just to much for it to take.

had to borrow my wife's tahoe.

but now i have some ammo to get a new set of wheels and some real winter tires!

alright, the evo met its match today. after a good 18" or so of snow yesterday, it went and rained over night. my driveway's incline and 6 or so inches of pure slush was just to much for it to take.

had to borrow my wife's tahoe.

but now i have some ammo to get a new set of wheels and some real winter tires!

You better check that front cross member.

There was a recall from them rusting out due to salt.

AlphaSnake

Parking my old 370Z: always left the handbrake up, in neutral. Never in gear, especially on an incline. I didn't want the pressure and weight on the teeth on a cold and dry transmission, it just always felt wrong to me.

I've never had anyone have issues doing it (leaving in gear + handbrake), though. But it should never be relied on just leaving in gear. That's just asking for a slow rollaway.

Also, coming to a stop sign: I rolled to a stop in neutral with light brake application as I'm approaching. If I already saw there wasn't a single car anywhere near, I'd put it in 2nd (around 5-7MPH) and proceed (this is common in Florida). If it was a heavily obscured stop sign with signs, buildings, and parked cars (common in NYC), I'd go from neutral to 1st and creep forward to get a good view before continuing, especially if it wasn't a 4-way stop.

Parking my old 370Z: always left the handbrake up, in neutral. Never in gear, especially on an incline. I didn't want the pressure and weight on the teeth on a cold and dry transmission, it just always felt wrong to me.

I've never had anyone have issues doing it (leaving in gear + handbrake), though. But it should never be relied on just leaving in gear. That's just asking for a slow rollaway.

Also, coming to a stop sign: I rolled to a stop in neutral with light brake application as I'm approaching. If I already saw there wasn't a single car anywhere near, I'd put it in 2nd (around 5-7MPH) and proceed (this is common in Florida). If it was a heavily obscured stop sign with signs, buildings, and parked cars (common in NYC), I'd go from neutral to 1st and creep forward to get a good view before continuing, especially if it wasn't a 4-way stop.

I got tickets for doing this in VA.

AlphaSnake

I got tickets for doing this in VA.

Oh I don't doubt it. You gotta know where to do it.

In my case, I could literally see half-a-mile left and right, there's nowhere for a cop to sit unnoticed in these areas. When I say not a single car, I genuinely mean not one. It's usually because the traffic light up the street is red, which gives me that opportunity to turn right into the road. In Florida it's 50/50. Some roads I had to come to a full stop, others I didn't.

matmanx1

In my case, I could literally see half-a-mile left and right, there's nowhere for a cop to sit unnoticed in these areas. When I say not a single car, I genuinely mean not one. It's usually because the traffic light up the street is red, which gives me that opportunity to turn right into the road. In Florida it's 50/50. Some roads I had to come to a full stop, others I didn't.

Florida has a lot of nice and flat areas where you can see for a LONG way. Except maybe North Florida. A relative of mine from Ft Lauderdale/Miami area said something about the "mountains" of North Florida recently in a conversation and I had a nice chuckle at that. To that he said "well, they are over 100ft high in some places!"

So yeah, be careful if you are ever in the mountains in North Florida that you come to a complete stop. =)

I got one because i didn't come to a complete stop. I was probably going 2-3mph, and the off-duty cop saw me do it while I was dropping someone off in his neighborhood.

It was such bullshit.

Isn't this a "California roll"?

I used to this before but I got caught doing it lol. My excuse to the cop was that I just started learning stick and I was still having difficulty driving it(I also had temp tags which made it more believeable I think). He let me off with a warning hahaha.

I always stick a car in gear when parked. And on an incline, I curb it.

Yeah I leave it in gear too if I'm outside the house but if I'm back home and inside the garage I just leave it in neutral.

On an incline though, I just turn the wheels towards the curb and leave it in neutral. It looks super dumb but it's something I picked up while living in the Philippines. Normally we'd find a piece of rock or whatever and stick behind the tire but if there's no rock available, we'll just turn the wheels lol.

AlphaSnake

Florida has a lot of nice and flat areas where you can see for a LONG way. Except maybe North Florida. A relative of mine from Ft Lauderdale/Miami area said something about the "mountains" of North Florida recently in a conversation and I had a nice chuckle at that. To that he said "well, they are over 100ft high in some places!"

So yeah, be careful if you are ever in the mountains in North Florida that you come to a complete stop. =)

I'm in the Orlando area, Windermere to be exact.

I got one because i didn't come to a complete stop. I was probably going 2-3mph, and the off-duty cop saw me do it while I was dropping someone off in his neighborhood.

It was such bullshit.

Yeah, that is bullshit. Some cops are dickholes about that kind of stuff. 2-3MPH is the walking pace of an average human being. Either way, coming to a complete stop in many places is absolutely pointless and requires creeping forward to get a proper vantage point of the condition.

Isn't this a "California roll"?

I used to this before but I got caught doing it lol. My excuse to the cop was that I just started learning stick and I was still having difficulty driving it(I also had temp tags which made it more believeable I think). He let me off with a warning hahaha.

Yeah, the California roll, indeed. Like I said, it's only worth doing and is 100% safe when you have a huuuuge line of sight like I do in a few areas nearby. But it's absolutely NOT advisable at a 2-way stop, or even a 4-way - never assume traffic coming from the side of you will stop or notice their sign.

Speaking of parking cars...

Parking my Boxster, which is a tiptronic, properly on an incline is a fucking hassle. If I don't get it completely right, I have to almost yank it out of park which hurts me terribly.

v1lla21

The only stop signs I roll are the ones just outside of my house. All others I stop at for at least 3 seconds and then go.
Thankfully I've never had to park on an incline.

Speaking of parking cars...

Parking my Boxster, which is a tiptronic, properly on an incline is a fucking hassle. If I don't get it completely right, I have to almost yank it out of park which hurts me terribly.

Put it in neutral, set the parking brake (and let the car roll onto the brake), then put it in park. That takes all of the pressure off of the pawl in the transmission and it won't bind when you try to take it out of park.

AlphaSnake

Put it in neutral, set the parking brake (and let the car roll onto the brake), then put it in park. That takes all of the pressure off of the pawl in the transmission and it won't bind when you try to take it out of park.

This.

Newer cars like Jags, Audis, and Benzes automatically engage the parking brake now which is nice. But ugh, in my older automatics, it hurt my soul feeling that jerk and hurling that shifter toward me.

AlphaSnake

What _don't_ they give you tickets for in VA

When driving in VA I won't even think about speeding and the Valentine One would immediately be removed from the windshield the moment I entered the state.

Same. They confiscate them because the state was petty enough to use detectors FOR radar detectors. Like, what the fuck?! Shit state. "Virginia is for lovers", my ass. Such a cringe worthy state motto.

UFO

Banned

I aways leave it in first when parked. I grew up in the cold where the brakes would freeze. Now that I live in the south now I typically do both.

Top Bottom