• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

boltz

giphy.gif

Perfect.

I really love the S-Type Rs. Such a beautiful shape and elegant design. Plus they're really quick, 400HP 4.2L SC.

jag-s-type-r-ubg.jpg

JAGUARS-TypeR-3449_4.jpg

jaguar-s-type-r-06.jpg

06078276-photo-jaguar-s-type-r.jpg

They can be had for under $15K now, and seemed to have STOPPED depreciating.

Now excuse me, I have something to tend to in my pants.

I'm generally not a fan of that old Jaguar bodystyle, but I love the idea of keeping one of those stock from a visual standpoint and surprising folks at stoplights.

And Merry Christmas Car/AutoGAF!

mkenyon

Banned
Happy Holidays everyone!

I'll be joining Alpha and Smokey on the 26th with my first kid.

Here's hoping non-autonomous cars are still legal when they hit 16. I like the idea of them learning to drive in the E39 M5 :p

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Wait, dodge is making an all wheel drive challenger? Holy shit!

V6 and automatic only? Whelp, nevermind.

matmanx1

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, folks!

As if I didn't already know that I had an awesome wife, it has now been confirmed for all times. Her Christmas present to me was a gift certificate for the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta and she wants us to go together and make a day of it.

I live less than 2 hours north of the Atlanta Experience Center and have wanted to go see it and have a driving lesson since the place opened in 2015 but it's expensive (the cheapest package is $400) and there's enough to do and see that I would want to spend most of the day there.

Well, I now have wife approval and the funds to take pretty much whichever "experience" lesson that I want. I'm leaning towards one of the 911 courses, because, well, why wouldn't you drive the icon? But we'll see. Once I read some more about what each lesson/experience entails I will make up my mind.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Happy Holidays everyone!

Here's hoping non-autonomous cars are still legal when they hit 16. I like the idea of them learning to drive in the E39 M5 :p

Good luck, friend.

Jindrax

Hey guys first time posting here.
I'm thinking about picking up an MX5 this summer as I start working full time in september.

It'll be the first car I've 100% owned, and I'll be using to drive to work and back every day.
About 100 odd km.

What do you guys think about that car?

Anion

I'm thinking about picking up an MX5 this summer as I start working full time in september.

It'll be the first car I've 100% owned, and I'll be using to drive to work and back every day.
About 100 odd km.

I haven't driven it myself yet, but my father who only busy Mercedes test drove one last week and said he will buy one eventually. It is a great car and everyone I know who ones one is very very happy with the car (and usually in life lol)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

About 100 odd km.

That's a ridiculously long commute. Get the retractable hard top.

About 100 odd km.

Here's mine dressed up as a reindeer from a few pages back:

All I'll say is this, I've been trying to find a new car to replace this thing since October of this year(also chronicled here on Auto-GAF much to everyone's annoyance lol) and I still haven't found a proper replacement for it... it's pretty irreplaceable unless you've got Porsche or BMW money.

Pinewood

All I'll say is this, I've been trying to find a new car to replace this thing since October of this year(also chronicled here on Auto-GAF much to everyone's annoyance lol) and I still haven't found a proper replacement for it... it's pretty irreplaceable unless you've got Porsche or BMW money.
Ive wanted to ask you, what spec engine do you have in there?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Miata RF configurator is live. 35k for all the minimal options. +1500 for suspension, probably 1000 for exhaust, and 3k to wrap it in a color that doesn't suck. 41ish grand. For me that's right on the line, there's so much more you can get for that money. Still, I like it, and hope it's a major success.

https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-tools/build-and-price/mx-5-miata-rf

The Miata is just not for me at all - way too small and not nearly enough power. That said, the RF is without-a-doubt, one of the absolute best looking cars on the road for less than six figures.

Makki

The Miata is just not for me at all - way too small and not nearly enough power. That said, the RF is without-a-doubt, one of the absolute best looking cars on the road for less than six figures.

It absolutely is, but for 40 grand the performance is basically relegated to just looking fast. That figure should be Mazdaspeed territory only. As it stands, the car is just like the 86/BRZ, a platform you have to upgrade, except Mazda wants you to shell out entry luxury prices.

Personally, I cant wait until this new generation loses 20k in value and I can pick me up a sweet $10,000 low mile Club to shove a turbo on and some wide wheels to fill those fenders.

Smokey

Happy Holidays everyone!

woah

today's the day, friend?

good luck. they are the greatest gift even if it won't seem like it for those first few months :)

Ettie

It absolutely is, but for 40 grand the performance is basically relegated to just looking fast. That figure should be Mazdaspeed territory only. As it stands, the car is just like the 86/BRZ, a platform you have to upgrade, except Mazda wants you to shell out entry luxury prices.

Personally, I cant wait until this new generation loses 20k in value and I can pick me up a sweet $10,000 low mile Club to shove a turbo on and some wide wheels to fill those fenders.

I'd be in at 15k, but essentially, yeah. And I hate that because I want to support Mazda directly, we buy them new when it makes sense. I'm not sure where my max is on this, maybe in line with BRZ pricing. Even with the full skirts on the BRZ, it only comes to 33.5k, a full grand less than the RF.

I dunno what it should be exactly, but the formula is a little off.

Evo X

Happy Holidays everyone!

Congrats!

Well, I can't compete with a baby, but here is my surprise for the 26th.

Brother is coming back to town tonight so no more freeloading the S550 Coupe.

Instead, I used a rental service called Turo to reserve a car.

It's a 2004 mini cooper S that's been modded. Dont know the specifics, but according to the owner its got a built motor, exhaust, wheels, coilovers, stripped interior, and off road tires. The only convenience it has is a barely functioning A/C, but I don't care. Lol

Best part is it's got a 6 speed manual!

So not a typical rental car, but I'm having a blast with it. It seriously feels like a go kart. The way the suspension is setup now is that the rear comes around when you push it hard into corners. Unexpected behavior from a FWD car. Only downside is I do notice some torque steer when going full throttle in the lower gears.

Gonna try to hit up some mountain roads with it tomorrow. :D

Just goes to show that you don't have to spend a lot of money to have fun in a car. I've been smiling all day in this thing.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, folks!

As if I didn't already know that I had an awesome wife, it has now been confirmed for all times. Her Christmas present to me was a gift certificate for the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta and she wants us to go together and make a day of it.

I live less than 2 hours north of the Atlanta Experience Center and have wanted to go see it and have a driving lesson since the place opened in 2015 but it's expensive (the cheapest package is $400) and there's enough to do and see that I would want to spend most of the day there.

Well, I now have wife approval and the funds to take pretty much whichever "experience" lesson that I want. I'm leaning towards one of the 911 courses, because, well, why wouldn't you drive the icon? But we'll see. Once I read some more about what each lesson/experience entails I will make up my mind.

That sounds awesome. You have a fantastic wife. I'd like to go to one of the performance some day as well.

Bandit1

Instead, I used a rental service called Turo to reserve a car.

It's a 2004 mini cooper S that's been modded. Dont know the specifics, but according to the owner its got a built motor, exhaust, wheels, coilovers, stripped interior, and off road tires. The only convenience it has is a barely functioning A/C, but I don't care. Lol

Best part is it's got a 6 speed manual!

So not a typical rental car, but I'm having a blast with it. It seriously feels like a go kart. The way the suspension is setup now is that the rear comes around when you push it hard into corners. Unexpected behavior from a FWD car. Only downside is I do notice some torque steer when going full throttle in the lower gears.

Gonna try to hit up some mountain roads with it tomorrow. :D

Just goes to show that you don't have to spend a lot of money to have fun in a car. I've been smiling all day in this thing.

Knew an old man who was into first gen Camaros and 55 Chevys, but he bought a Mini Cooper S when gas prices were at $4.00/gallon and he said the exact same thing lol. Looks like a fun little car.

UFO

Banned

About 100 odd km.

I have an NB, it's a fun car but not very practical. It's comically small, even next to a 99 civic it looks like a toy. It's also way too underpowered to be a real sports car, it's quick, not fast.

I'd probably look into a second hand Camaro or Mustang if you want a good daily driver sports car.

J-Rzez

mkenyon has a baby, and then gets banned from GAF?

mkpls

Well, MK has bigger and better things to focus on right now I think. (congrats MK!)

But straying away from Auto-space is a dangerous thing to do in OT where opinions and stuff aren't settled with typical car-lover banter and everyone realizes we're all car-lovers in the end and we're happy.

I strayed into politics before the election and my opinions weren't accepted and got pinched. So, I try to stay here as much as possible, around my peoples. Here, and TV tech talk. :)

matmanx1

About 100 odd km.

Fabulous. I drive mine to work and back several times a week, 25 - 30 minutes each way through mixed road and traffic types. It's a fun and cheap way to commute if you don't mind the noise.

Really? I figured 50 km each way was pretty okay.
Takes like 35 minutes

See above. I wouldn't have a problem with it but I also don't drive mine every single day. It will really come down to your tolerance for road and wind noise.

Miata RF configurator is live. 35k for all the minimal options. +1500 for suspension, probably 1000 for exhaust, and 3k to wrap it in a color that doesn't suck. 41ish grand. For me that's right on the line, there's so much more you can get for that money. Still, I like it, and hope it's a major success.

https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-tools/build-and-price/mx-5-miata-rf

I configured a Club model (the Gran Touring looses the limited slip option, and why would you want to do that?) with most of the luxury options for a tick over $36k. That's not bad.

boltz

Happy Holidays everyone!

Congrats! It's always interesting to see how people's car choices change once they have kids.

Really sweet looking ride but that price range has too many other more compelling choices, especially if you need a practical daily driver. Still hope they sell well so there are more car choices.

Pinewood

Getting wheels/brake calipers off a crashed car and getting them refurbished - worth it? This ofc depends on the state theyre in, but I figure calipers should be pretty ok if you get new discs and pads, wheels are trickier but still alright if not badly damaged, right?

Ive wanted to ask you, what spec engine do you have in there?

Just the standard 2.0L engine with a CAI and loud muffler.

It looks and sounds fast but that it ain't haha.

...except Mazda wants you to shell out entry luxury prices.

That's exactly what Mazda is doing with the RF and the CX-9 actually:

Kogai's strategy aims to:

• Hold the line on incentives to boost transaction prices.

• Cultivate an upmarket aura around the brand with sporty handling, elegant interiors and sumptuous design.

• Improve the brand's low customer-retention rate to 60 percent.

Achieving all that will require getting Mazda's dealers on board with the image make-over.

"We want to distinguish ourselves by being a little elevated above the other Japanese or mainstream brands," Kogai said.

As a Mazda fanboy, I'd love to see them hit their goal and sales of the RF skyrocket but I'm a little doubtful tbh.

Agreed on the last point though.

I got my NC about 5 years ago for $13K, when the 3rd Gen Limited Edition's came out in 2005, they retailed for $27K or $32K in 2012 after adjusting for inflation. To lose about $20K in 7 years is insane but no one's complaining lol.

Ettie

As a Mazda fanboy, I'd love to see them hit their goal and sales of the RF skyrocket but I'm a little doubtful tbh.

Agreed on the last point though.

I got my NC about 5 years ago for $13K, when the 3rd Gen Limited Edition's came out in 2005, they retailed for $27K or $32K in 2012 after adjusting for inflation. To lose about $20K in 7 years is insane but no one's complaining lol.

The best value on a new Miata is a used Miata, as they say.

I'm also good with Mazda going upmarket. If they became the Japanese Audi, that would be awesome.

I'm looking into buying a new 2016 model Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic, but almost every car available at the dealerships in my area has a CVT. Is this something I should be worried about? My internet research has raised numerous concerns about the longevity of CVTs, how frequently the fluid needs to be changed (and whether or not the mechanics will actually know how to properly change it), the cost of the fluid, the length of the warranty, and the cost of a replacement if the thing tanks. As someone who isn't really familiar with cars, I can't help but feel a bit anxious at the thought of buying a new car with a CVT when there seems to be so many unanswered questions about this type of transmission. Am I being irrational? Are the CVTs in the 2016 Civics and Corollas more dependable than the internet makes the average CVT out to be?

Crayon

Thank you for that. Going to pick something in the next few days here.

Anyone tried these? BFG g force sport comp-2

Okay I finally got these bfg's on today. They are on a '16 corolla on a 17 inch wheel.

They are plush. Quiet. Good ride. The steering feels great. The tread is deep. The sidewalls are soft: at 38psi I rolled a front one halfway up the sidewall in the first few minutes. I put the fronts up to 40 and went out to fuck em up a bit and they drive really nice. No sqawking or squeeling; they are silent when sliding and just make scuffing sounds.
Honestly I kind of like tires that squeel tho.
The sidewalls being soft is not perfect in the front but on the light back of this car the support is just right.

So far, I am very pleased with these for $111 per corner. The grip out in the dry is good. Maybe a bit much for a corolla s. The traction control of whatever that shit is was freaking out on almost every corner.

note 1: why the fuck is there a button to turn the traction control off if it's just going to go back on as soon as I spin a tire? wtf. wtf. wtf.

note 2: maybe before you pull the trigger on that sti you should ask yourself if you have mastered the wrx yet so you don't end up having to pull over a 300hp machine for a goddam corolla.

I think it's because in Plain Jane 3.0 or 4.2 guise with the standard chrome headlights, standard taillights, standard grille, uninspired wheels and such...it doesn't quite stand out. But with a few minor cosmetic touches, the entire car starts to pop and just looks menacing.

Plus, at that time every car, luxury or not, was doing the quad-light front ends (Lexus GS, Mercedes W210 E-Class, W211 E-Class, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Amanti, etc.) so it was a huge trend in the 90s and 2000s and Jaguar may have been a bit lost in the sea of cars at the time. Where as back in the 60s and 70s, Jaguar perfected the look with the XJs.

Hmmm. You know I never noticed what a big difference the trim makes on that package. It does make the plain ones look a bit frumpy.

About 100 odd km.

Honestly for that much time on the road every day, I would want to be in a more substantial bodyshell. A miata is just not a lot of metal and shit happens. Otherwise, it's a wonderful car.

Year for year, there was never a good replacement for miata. The mr2 spyder was close but that was a long time ago.

I'm looking into buying a new 2016 model Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic, but almost every car available at the dealerships in my area has a CVT. Is this something I should be worried about? My internet research has raised numerous concerns about the longevity of CVTs, how frequently the fluid needs to be changed (and whether or not the mechanics will actually know how to properly change it), the cost of the fluid, the length of the warranty, and the cost of a replacement if the thing tanks. As someone who isn't really familiar with cars, I can't help but feel a bit anxious at the thought of buying a new car with a CVT when there seems to be so many unanswered questions about this type of transmission. Am I being irrational? Are the CVTs in the 2016 Civics and Corollas more dependable than the internet makes the average CVT out to be?

We have 2016 corolla with the cvt and it sucks shit. Sucks shit. I like it on the test drive because it does what it should do but over the months it has left me longing for a regular automatic of all things.

It's shifting behavior is overly aggressive about saving gas. Every time you need any forward acceleration, it has to bring the r's up from this insanely low speed it like to cruise at. Feels like a laggy turbo but with no payoff. I have to drive in manual shift mode like 90% of the time so it doesn't drive me crazy. On the upshot I have found that somewhat enjoyable and the shifts react well to manual control.

But that doesn't fix the worst thing: It limits power severely in 1st gear. And with 130 hp that is just ridiculous. I power braked it once (to see if I could get it to GO if I really had to) and was rewarded with a horrible sounding metal clunk.

Fuck cvt.

random big balls miata:

Jindrax

So what would you guys recommend?
For a 50km (100 return) trip every day.
Can't get anything too out there or too boring, I start at an attorney in september so if I show up in something over the top, or way too silly it might set the bosses off.

I was attrracted to the idea of a miata since I'm 23... no gf no kids. Probably one of the only times in my life I can justify having one of these until I can afford to have two cars.

I was looking at C classes or 3 series too...

My budget it between 15-20k €

Can't get anything too out there or too boring, I start at an attorney in september so if I show up in something over the top, or way too silly it might set the bosses off.

I was attrracted to the idea of a miata since I'm 23... no gf no kids. Probably one of the only times in my life I can justify having one of these until I can afford to have two cars.

Get a used 2015 Mazda 3. Good steering feel. Looks good. Decent mileage. Will be easy to sell in a couple of years if you want to get something else. Will leave a couple of thousand in your budget for insurance costs too.

matmanx1

Well, being that you are young and I am a Miata owner I still really like that suggestion. They are reliable, good on gas and generally cheap to insure.

Get a used 2015 Mazda 3. Good steering feel. Looks good. Decent mileage. Will be easy to sell in a couple of years if you want to get something else. Will leave a couple of thousand in your budget for insurance costs too.

Actually, this is a great suggestion also. You would still get some of that Mazda "fun" DNA but in a more practical shell.

It really depends on what else you might be doing with the car but the best advise is just to go test drive and see what inspires you. For me, the first test drive with the Miata was pretty special. I bonded with it immediately and was grinning like a fool for the whole ride. And then I searched until I found one with the options I wanted and bought it and haven't looked back.

Pinewood

Color-advice
http://www.auto24.ee/used/2413802
Went to see this today and Im pretty sold on the car, but Im not 100% hot on the color. The antracite gray looks a bit too dark. They said a white one is most likely coming on sale as well in the price bracket in the next 2 weeks but that will be the automatic :/

So I'm picking up my new M140i from the dealer tomorrow, anything I should pay attention to and check? Never bought a new car before, so I'm not sure what to inspect!

I know I'll be checking the following...
>Excessive mileage
>Paint
>Bodywork
>Condition of tyres
>Interior scuffs/tears
>Options I selected are actually present
>'Loose' equipment is present, like wheel locking keys, repair foam, manual etc.
>Warranty paperwork for what is/isn't covered
>Recovery method for the automatic transmission - I know most autos have a mechanical release in the cabin somewhere

Thanks!

Here's the result of the exhaust I installed.

Like it doesn't get enough attention.

https://youtu.be/_ZpDL9ce9fU

Hoooo-shit that was amazing. We need more clips. Many more.

Top Bottom