• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

SliChillax

It would be much cheaper to just import it yourself. Would need to find the money to pay upfronth though.

Better to import it from Canada because they use the metric system and because of the Canadian dollar its a bit cheaper. I've never had any experience importing cars though and I have no idea how it works or how much it costs.

Pinewood

Better to import it from Canada because they use the metric system and because of the Canadian dollar its a bit cheaper. I've never had any experience importing cars though and I have no idea how it works or how much it costs.
The shipping itself would be roung 3000$ish via container(dont quote me on that) but you should get some kind of insurance I think.

Idk if you would need to get something converted for eu but it shouldnt cost a lot.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Nice. I did some slides in a frozen parking lot at Crystal Mountain last week, on packed snow, but I was a huge bitch and wimped out when it got squirrelly, instead of pushing it to see what I could do. And I had TONS of space. If you'd seen how much room and how chicken I was, you'd have laughed.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Nice. I did some slides in a frozen parking lot at Crystal Mountain last week, on packed snow, but I was a huge bitch and wimped out when it got squirrelly, instead of pushing it to see what I could do. And I had TONS of space. If you'd seen how much room and how chicken I was, you'd have laughed.

i'm laughing now picturing it! i'm a pussy on the road, and never push hard in sketchy conditions, but WRC incarnate in a parking lot :D

mkenyon

Banned
today in confessions of an Audi driver

;D

i hope you understand that this is in good humor, <3 your contributions

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I always bitch out on the roads here in VA.

Well because its VA.

I was in VA two weeks ago. Holy shit you have a cop every mile. I seriously saw 50+ cars pulled over in a three day period. Insane.

SliChillax

Behold the Lamborghini Urus in production body. Long gone are the striking proportions of the concept and welcome this abomination which looks like a GLE coupe with an ugly Mansory body kit.

Lamborghini-Urus-1.jpg

Urus.jpg

jamsy

So I drove my Evora down to LA (from SF) and back this past weekend.

It's actually not that impractical of a vehicle. The rear seat can hold a decent amount of stuff and there's the trunk in the back for a couple backpacks. Sadly didn't get a chance to drive on the PCH all that much going down (as the weather was shit driving down) and had to haul ass to get home in time for the Super Bowl this past Sunday.

I made crazy good time though. From LAX to the Bay Bridge in just over 4 hours. I was flying on the 5. Thankfully California isn't that bad with police on the freeways.

mkenyon

Banned

It's actually not that impractical of a vehicle. The rear seat can hold a decent amount of stuff and there's the trunk in the back for a couple backpacks. Sadly didn't get a chance to drive on the PCH all that much going down (as the weather was shit driving down) and had to haul ass to get home in time for the Super Bowl this past Sunday.

I made crazy good time though. From LAX to the Bay Bridge in just over 4 hours. I was flying on the 5. Thankfully California isn't that bad with police on the freeways.
Hey can we be friends? :p

Sounds kinda like the 911 in that respect.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Usually i5 is littered with chp

Evo X

Guess who's signing paperwork? :)

Congrats bro! Know this has been a long time coming.

Might be messaging you. My brother in law saw one today and really liked it. Thinking about trading his 981 Cayman in for one.

v1lla21

Jesus, 4 hours? Lol. And I was happy when I made it from Disney to my gf's house in San Jose in 4 hours and 40 minutes. Lol.i didn't go over 80 and I was driving her insight though.

Rarely saw cops on i5 the last couple of times I've gone to LA.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

OMG. Yes!

YesYesYes.gif

Jesus, 4 hours? Lol. And I was happy when I made it from Disney to my gf's house in San Jose in 4 hours and 40 minutes. Lol.i didn't go over 80 and I was driving her insight though.

I've made a ludicrous travel time from NYC to Orlando. 12 hours. 1100 miles. Two radars. One Jag. :p

I got lucky getting out of NYC and straight into NJ. Blasted through NJ, DE, and MD. Had to slow down once in VA to around 80, and then averaged about 110MPH through the Carolinas (which makes up close to half the trip and definitely the worst part of the trip). 90MPH through GA. And again around 100MPH through the i95 in Florida. By the time I hit the I-4 in Central Florida, I couldn't believe I actually made it that quick.

My previous record was 14.5 hours, but that was with traffic in VA.

I'm thinking of going down to the Porsche Experience Center at Los Angeles. Has anyone on NeoGaf ever been there or the Atlanta location?

Aside from the track events, which I'm sure will be great, how is everything else there? The cars on display, the food at the cafe and restaurant, etc.?

Also, if you bring a friend or family member, since not all cars hold passengers like a Macan, what is there for your guest to do at the center while they wait for your track event to finish?

Thanks!

v1lla21

I've made a ludicrous travel time from NYC to Orlando. 12 hours. 1100 miles. Two radars. One Jag. :p

I got lucky getting out of NYC and straight into NJ. Blasted through NJ, DE, and MD. Had to slow down once in VA to around 80, and then averaged about 110MPH through the Carolinas (which makes up close to half the trip and definitely the worst part of the trip). 90MPH through GA. And again around 100MPH through the i95 in Florida. By the time I hit the I-4 in Central Florida, I couldn't believe I actually made it that quick.

My previous record was 14.5 hours, but that was with traffic in VA.
Haha that's amazing. I don't think I'd be comfortable speeding by a lot in other states. And I get happy when I beat my fastest time to work by seconds or a couple of minutes. I should be going back to Disney this year around May but I'll be driving my car this time. Hope to get my time down to 4 and half hours.

Futaba

Awesome, thanks!

I think I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill since I don't want to look stupid pulling out of the dealer and onto the 4 mile drive to my house. I have no worries about getting into the groove after ~30 minutes.
Rent an MT car for a day before you go to collect!
It'll still feel totally different but you'll at least have the process down.

TFGB

Your roads are far better in the US than ours are here in the UK, but I'd say our police are far more lenient over here!

I've opened up the Mac quite a few times over the last few months here and not seen a copper for miles, yet I wouldn't risk that over in the US!

matmanx1

Woot, congrats man! Awesome! Pics needed soon!

Might be messaging you. My brother in law saw one today and really liked it. Thinking about trading his 981 Cayman in for one.

Man, I have been in love with the Evora ever since I saw one pass me on the road a year or so ago. I loved how it looked in motion and have been completely fascinated with them until this day.

I'm thinking of going down to the Porsche Experience Center at Los Angeles. Has anyone on NeoGaf ever been there or the Atlanta location?

Aside from the track events, which I'm sure will be great, how is everything else there? The cars on display, the food at the cafe and restaurant, etc.?

Also, if you bring a friend or family member, since not all cars hold passengers like a Macan, what is there for your guest to do at the center while they wait for your track event to finish?

Thanks!

Look back a couple of pages. Edit- Here's the link to the post. I posted a short synopsis of my trip to the Atlanta PEC with a few pictures. Short version; it's a complete blast and worth every penny. The one in Atlanta has a two level museum with Porsche's from every year represented including some very, very rare stuff. Cafe/coffeeshop as well as a reservation only restaurant that I did not eat at. Lots of cars on display and lots of cool Porsche memorabilia.

While you are driving your SO or friend will be hanging out. They can either watch from the observation deck or chill in the cafe or just walk around. Or they can split time with you at the wheel, your call.

I loved it and plan on going back with my Dad again at some point this year for us both to drive. It's awesome.

AlphaSnake

Rent an MT car for a day before you go to collect!
It'll still feel totally different but you'll at least have the process down.

They've stopped carrying MTs in American rental fleets, unfortunately. Not like it matters, he bought the car! Hahaha.

Your roads are far better in the US than ours are here in the UK, but I'd say our police are far more lenient over here!

I've opened up the Mac quite a few times over the last few months here and not seen a copper for miles, yet I wouldn't risk that over in the US!

A new poster with a a McLaren? Post pics, bruv. I need my drool material for the day. Is that your 650S in the avatar?

I'm the resident British enthusiast here, as you may have guessed by the opening post. Love British motoring and own a pair of Jags ('12 XKR, '16 XF). What cars did you come from until you got your Mac?

Futaba

They've stopped carrying MTs in American rental fleets, unfortunately.

Seriously??, been years since I was over in any sort of long capacity, rented an audi TT in Boston to drive up to Wellesley to see a then gf, guy at the rental place practically halved the price for the vehicle class rental because it was MT too.

Also staying
not so legally
for 2 weeks in an all-girls college was an interesting experience to say the least, 4am showers, awkward stares, etc.

AlphaSnake

Seriously??, been years since I was over in any sort of long capacity, rented an audi TT in Boston to drive up to Wellesley to see a then gf, guy at the rental place practically halved the price for the vehicle class rental because it was MT too.

Also staying
not so legally
for 2 weeks in an all-girls college was an interesting experience to say the least, 4am showers, awkward stares, etc.

4ZX4b.gif

Man, I have been in love with the Evora ever since I saw one pass me on the road a year or so ago. I loved how it looked in motion and have been completely fascinated with them until this day.

Look back a couple of pages. Edit- Here's the link to the post. I posted a short synopsis of my trip to the Atlanta PEC with a few pictures. Short version; it's a complete blast and worth every penny. The one in Atlanta has a two level museum with Porsche's from every year represented including some very, very rare stuff. Cafe/coffeeshop as well as a reservation only restaurant that I did not eat at. Lots of cars on display and lots of cool Porsche memorabilia.

While you are driving your SO or friend will be hanging out. They can either watch from the observation deck or chill in the cafe or just walk around. Or they can split time with you at the wheel, your call.

I loved it and plan on going back with my Dad again at some point this year for us both to drive. It's awesome.

Thanks a lot! I didn't know you can split time with a guest at the wheel. That'd be great. I'm hoping to try out the restaurant as well.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
congrats!

Pics or it didn't happen.

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

Grats man :p

btw, you still rocking the Little Devil case?

OMG. Yes!

YesYesYes.gif

Thanks guys! Seriously - appreciate the kind words. It's always nice when others are excited for you.

Price ended up being a little higher than I wanted, but it was purely on the fault of KS' taxes being city instead of county based and me not realizing that. Nevertheless, I really didn't see myself being able to snag a Hellcat in my 20s. Someday, for sure... just not now. And so it felt great pulling off the lot a week after my 28th. I truly felt a just a Scat Pack was going to push it. This is a little bit more $$ than I was planning, yes... but it's also a lot more car.

I killed it a bunch getting into first. The very first time, the torque just did the work for me. But from that point on, I was listening to the engine rev and it's just SO DAMN LOUD that I'd startle myself and rush into either popping the clutch or letting off the gas. I'm still struggling, but if I ignore the sound and go with feel, I'm fine. Once in first, no issues. Drove 30 miles on the highway and through city lights to show off to family.

Car is pretty dirty, but they said I could come in anytime in the next couple weeks and they'd do a 4-5 hour detail on it. I was just eager to drive it since I'm gone all weekend and working out of state through Wed :( It's just gonna sit in my driveway for the next week.

With 42 mi on the odometer (111 now), I barely got on it. A little spirited acceleration through first and second, but nothing crazy. It's surprisingly easy to handle if you don't push it.

The sound system is legit! I just wanted to listen to that engine and exhaust most the time - but with 18 speakers and two subs, music just booms.

LOVE the hood. I know that sounds ridiculous; but from the driver's seat - just looking out at that swooshing hood line that goes on forever just looks badass. You feel like you're driving a rocket... or at the very least, a true, old-school muscle car.

My wife is already excited for both(!) of us to attend SRT Driving School in AZ this summer.

I'll probably post A LOT more pics and impressions in the next week or two. But for now, I only have a couple boring pics:

31989596884_771bda98c9_b.jpg

32017911433_e373e3ce17_b.jpg

EDIT: Oh! mkenyon, yeah, still rocking the LD V7. It's a seriously great case, and as much as I'm woo'd by fashion cases from Lian Li or In Win, I just can't really justify switching. I'll probably rock that case for the next several years. Planning on a new build late this year. Appreciate all your help back in the day on that.

TFGB

A new poster with a a McLaren? Post pics, bruv. I need my drool material for the day. Is that your 650S in the avatar?

I'm the resident British enthusiast here, as you may have guessed by the opening post. Love British motoring and own a pair of Jags ('12 XKR, '16 XF). What cars did you come from until you got your Mac?

Hi AlphaSnake and cheers for the welcome! Good choice in the Jags! We (my partner and I) used to have an S-Type R which was loads of fun. Cracking motor. :)

Before the 650S Spider we had a DBS for a while, then a 458, but inevitably chopped them in. We were also running a W12 CGT for about 5 years up until very recently which we loved dearly, but after getting the Mac it just wasn't being used so we let him go. I miss him though. :(

fz3WK3U.jpg

If you like your Jags then you might like our '67 MKII that has been fully refurbed? A 3.4 with Overdrive:

Aw52sr8.jpg

Ewzzyqy.jpg

We live dead centre in a town here in the UK where parking is a nightmare, so our daily is a JCW Coupe Auto. Mini didn't make JCW Coupes with an auto box, so we bought a fully specced Cooper S auto that looked like this:

jN6B5EY.jpg

We then sent it to Mini for the full JCW upgrade package, including LED DRLs, stuck some 18" OZ Superturismos with Pirelli P-Zeros on and had it fully wrapped in 3M Gloss Black, so it now looks like this! He's called 'Darth' btw (big Star Wars fan)

CYNfmsd.jpg

FEWWaf7.jpg

As for the Mac, we named him 'Storm' due to him having the same colourings as a Stormtrooper lol. Pearl White metallic with carbon fibre exterior, red leather and carbon fibre interior:

WmeYCME.jpg

I29DMD9.jpg

2sUsPTb.jpg

(The blue thing isn't ours lol)

HZATVYi.jpg

We do have a few more small classics, but cheers for looking!

TylerD

Thanks guys! Seriously - appreciate the kind words. It's always nice when others are excited for you.

Price ended up being a little higher than I wanted, but it was purely on the fault of KS' taxes being city instead of county based and me not realizing that. Nevertheless, I really didn't see myself being able to snag a Hellcat in my 20s. Someday, for sure... just not now. And so it felt great pulling off the lot a week after my 28th. I truly felt a just a Scat Pack was going to push it. This is a little bit more $$ than I was planning, yes... but it's also a lot more car.

I killed it a bunch getting into first. The very first time, the torque just did the work for me. But from that point on, I was listening to the engine rev and it's just SO DAMN LOUD that I'd startle myself and rush into either popping the clutch or letting off the gas. I'm still struggling, but if I ignore the sound and go with feel, I'm fine. Once in first, no issues. Drove 30 miles on the highway and through city lights to show off to family.

Car is pretty dirty, but they said I could come in anytime in the next couple weeks and they'd do a 4-5 hour detail on it. I was just eager to drive it since I'm gone all weekend and working out of state through Wed :( It's just gonna sit in my driveway for the next week.

With 42 mi on the odometer (111 now), I barely got on it. A little spirited acceleration through first and second, but nothing crazy. It's surprisingly easy to handle if you don't push it.

The sound system is legit! I just wanted to listen to that engine and exhaust most the time - but with 18 speakers and two subs, music just booms.

LOVE the hood. I know that sounds ridiculous; but from the driver's seat - just looking out at that swooshing hood line that goes on forever just looks badass. You feel like you're driving a rocket... or at the very least, a true, old-school muscle car.

My wife is already excited for both(!) of us to attend SRT Driving School in AZ this summer.

I'll probably post A LOT more pics and impressions in the next week or two. But for now, I only have a couple boring pics:

EDIT: Oh! mkenyon, yeah, still rocking the LD V7. It's a seriously great case, and as much as I'm woo'd by fashion cases from Lian Li or In Win, I just can't really justify switching. I'll probably rock that case for the next several years. Planning on a new build late this year. Appreciate all your help back in the day on that.

Congrats man! That thing looks absolutely menacing.

Futaba

Love watching the Nordschleife crash compilations on youtube, but lately it seems people in focus ST's and BMW's can't keep their cars on the track to save their lives!

burgerdog

Looks amazing dude and it must be such a blast to drive something with that much power. Congratulations :D

jamsy

Hey can we be friends? :p

Sounds kinda like the 911 in that respect.

Ha, the thing I love about it the most is 911s are a dime a dozen and you never see these.

Sure. Let me know if you have any questions.

The one thing I can definitely say is that it's way prettier/more exotic than a Cayman, which to me, has never been a looker. Never driven one personally, but I'm pretty sure the steering on the Lotus would be an upgrade, as well.

Sadly the interior/dash/buttons are going to be quite a downgrade coming from a Porsche.

Haha, yeah, not sure if I'm allowed to write how fast I was going here, but let's just say I was going quite a bit faster than that.

AlphaSnake

quotes of joy

So happy for you, dude. Wow.

Hi AlphaSnake and cheers for the welcome! Good choice in the Jags! We (my partner and I) used to have an S-Type R which was loads of fun. Cracking motor. :)

Before the 650S Spider we had a DBS for a while, then a 458, but inevitably chopped them in. We were also running a W12 CGT for about 5 years up until very recently which we loved dearly, but after getting the Mac it just wasn't being used so we let him go. I miss him though. :(
If you like your Jags then you might like our '67 MKII that has been fully refurbed? A 3.4 with Overdrive:

We live dead centre in a town here in the UK where parking is a nightmare, so our daily is a JCW Coupe Auto. Mini didn't make JCW Coupes with an auto box, so we bought a fully specced Cooper S auto that looked like this:

We then sent it to Mini for the full JCW upgrade package, including LED DRLs, stuck some 18" OZ Superturismos with Pirelli P-Zeros on and had it fully wrapped in 3M Gloss Black, so it now looks like this! He's called 'Darth' btw (big Star Wars fan)

As for the Mac, we named him 'Storm' due to him having the same colourings as a Stormtrooper lol. Pearl White metallic with carbon fibre exterior, red leather and carbon fibre interior:

We do have a few more small classics, but cheers for looking!

Jesus. I just...wow. I love your cars, I especially love the 67. I've been a Jag lover since I was a little kid. I used to steal my dad's collection of diecasts and models when I was 5. And there were a few old Jags in there, and I especially loved the E-Type. It was my first ever toy car. You should post some more pics of your classics. I'm surprised you don't host a YouTube show about them. Haha :p

fritolay

Make sure you read the manual (606 pages) where it talks about breaking the car. there are several stages up to 500 miles.

Top Bottom