• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Shopping for a new sports car, and I've narrowed it down to these 4. For reference, I've got a 987.2 Boxster S right now.

Porsche 991 Carrera S
Jaguar F-Type V8S
Corvette Stingray Z51 3LT
Porsche Cayman GTS

I managed to test drive all of them this past week, and can post my impressions if anyone is interested. Likewise, if anyone owns or has experience with these cars, I'd like to hear from you.

Another left field option is I buy none of these now, and save up for an R8 V10 next spring. Thoughts?

I'd love to hear your impressions on the Vette. That's a very "typical" set of premium sports cars in a particular price range; but up until the C7, I'd argue the Vette was the "odd man out."

Shopping for a new sports car, and I've narrowed it down to these 4. For reference, I've got a 987.2 Boxster S right now.

Porsche 991 Carrera S
Jaguar F-Type V8S
Porsche Cayman GTS

I managed to test drive all of them this past week, and can post my impressions if anyone is interested. Likewise, if anyone owns or has experience with these cars, I'd like to hear from you.

Another left field option is I buy none of these now, and save up for an R8 V10 next spring. Thoughts?

Impressions on all of them please. GTS > C2S IMO, it's probably the best driver's car out of the four. Is the Jag a vert? Also, I assume they're all manuals, or..? People didn't like the '14 vette automatic.

The R8 seems to be the car that keeps on keeping on, people seem to love its (relative) practicality yet praise it as a proper sports car all the same.

Porsche 991 Carrera S
Jaguar F-Type V8S
Porsche Cayman GTS

I like this type of thinking. If it's in your price range, I would pick this from the list of cars that you've mentioned. I haven't driven the V10 (I wish), just the V8 version, and that was a blast! From what I understand, there's greater torque, with a smoother powerband. If it's better then the V8 version that I had enjoyed, then you're in for a treat.

Porsche 991 Carrera S
Jaguar F-Type V8S
Porsche Cayman GTS

I spoke with a dealer about his 991 S at a track day and he didn't seem to care for it in comparison to the 997. I couldn't disagree, the front trunk was very lacking in space, the high rear bumper made of plastic and the ridiculous lack of access to the top of engine through the engine deck put me off. Of all the cars you posted, though, it's certainly the best touring car, so if that's what you're looking for I'd go that route.

What exactly are you looking for in your car?

TylerD

Haha thanks man. It was great to meet you too! I hope you have a chance to move over here one day, I think you'd really love it. And your E46's paint would thank you. :D

This is what it looked like when I returned from my trip. I washed it before I left and it sat in my covered spot.

KqaxMHsl.jpg

Smokey

Porsche 991 Carrera S
Jaguar F-Type V8S
Porsche Cayman GTS

Wouldn't get a '14 vette if it's automatic. The 15 has the new 8 speed auto. Is the Z06 out of the picture?

Curious how you got a test drive of the vette. Dudes around here do a good job of not letting you get one. Porsche is actually the only one who will let you test drive their cars with little questions asked.

J-Rzez

So after owning my 2015 WRX for a few weeks now, I looked at the MPG read out, and did the math myself after two fill ups and it seems to be shy just a tad. It's read out is 27.8mpg, my math is just over 28mpg, pretty close.

What's the kicker is that I live in a pretty mountainous area. No interstate travel. Turbo. AWD. 28mpg. That's pretty incredible for me.. I know people who got tuned then making around 300whp picked up to an additional 8mpg lol.

Subaru really did a good job here. I am pleased. Can't wait for spring when I go on a part ordering binge and get it tuned by Evans here in PA.

Evo X

Alright, time for a lengthy review post.

Porsche 991 Carrera S: I’ve actually driven this car twice. A 7 speed manual last year and a 7 speed PDK recently. A very well built car. Felt like it was all carved from one solid piece of aluminum. Couldn’t find any single fault that stood out. Definitely felt bigger than the 997 generation on the road. Electric steering also doesn’t offer the same feedback as the hydraulic system of old, but I don’t mind. It’s transitioning more into a GT car than a pure sports car. Shape is iconic and classic, with some modern touches. I think the rear end on this car is gorgeous. Interior is a big jump up from the old cars in terms of technology. A lot of the interior design philosophy and tech have transferred from the Panamera into Porsche’s whole range. It’s no longer Spartan like the old cars, although there was a certain appeal to that as well. Transmission wise, PDK is the way to go imo. Lightening quick response. Among the best of the dual clutches in the industry right now. I did not like the 7 speed manual. It’s a lot clunkier than the silky smooth 6 speed boxes in the Boxster/Cayman/997 911.

My only problem is that it feels too sterile for the amount of money you’re spending. At $100+K, you want something a little more special and crazy. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s an astonishing car for an all around daily driving machine. Possibly one of the best, but for some reason it didn’t instill that “Gotta Have It!” feeling in me. I think most people that buy 911s have been dreaming about them their whole lives, so it’s a huge accomplishment for them (and rightfully so), when they finally acquire theirs. I’m still quite young, and have been driving all kinds of cool cars for a while, so I’ve never really felt that connection to a 911 I suppose.

Jaguar F-Type V8S: The most disappointing of the cars. I drove this at the launch last year, then again last week.

Let’s talk about the first time I drove it. I was so in love with it. The most exciting thing to come out of Jaguar in decades. Looks are gorgeous as you are all aware, and the exhaust rumble can wake the dead. Seriously, it’s absolutely ridiculous. Sounds like the 4th of July coming out of the rear. Since it was brand new last year, I didn’t have the chance to push the performance. Only had the opportunity to take it around town at civil speeds. I didn’t care because all I could do was revel in all its supercharged V8 glory and drop dead sexy looks. The one I drove was pearl white, with red leather interior, and carbon fiber wheels. I was raving about it for days to my friends after driving it, saying it’s probably the best car you could get new for $100k.

Took off the rose tinted glasses the second time around. I was given the keys by the dealer and allowed to take it out alone for an extended session. Sat down, adjusted the seats, and pushed the ignition button and all those memories of excitement came rushing back. But the more I drove it, the more I realized that this car is not for me. Engine felt like it was too much for the chassis to handle. The back end would constantly slide out, even with traction control on. It sort of eclipsed everything else about the car. Guess it doesn’t help that it’s hundreds of pounds heavier than the competition. Instead of me being in absolute control, I felt like the car was driving me instead. That honking V8 dictating the whole experience. Slower response, lazier handling, and almost impossible to put power down without smoking the rear tires. The interior quality is also not up to par for the price it commands. This example was less than a year old, but the switches and leather had worn more than my 4 year old Porsche. Terrible depreciation as well. The sticker on this car was $107K new. Now, only a year and 9K miles old, dealer was asking $83K with room for negotiation I’m sure. All in all, not a confidence inspiring driver’s car like the others it’s going up against. Who knows, maybe the R coupe is better. But for the moment, it has sadly been eliminated out of the running. One thing I do give them credit for is the transmission. The ZF 8 speed was the best automatic I’ve ever used. Not quite as good as a dual clutch setup, but it snapped shifts quickly and smoothly. I think they’re currently testing a manual unit for next year. We’ll see how that pans out.

Corvette Stingray Z51 3LT: The most surprising of the cars by far. I was never really a vette guy. I always admired its bang for the buck performance, but the interior has historically been shit and I never saw myself driving one. All of that changed with the new car. Fresh exterior looks, soft leather surfaces everywhere (in 3LT form at least), supportive race bucket seats, and modern technology throughout. The 7 speed manual was great. Better than the one in the 911 IMO, although the gearing seemed too long. I never went higher than 4th gear throughout the whole test drive. Awesome torque. Pulls hard throughout the whole rev range. Felt strange driving a huge V8 coming from a boxer 6, but I quickly got used to it. It is a massive car, but seems to shrink around you when you drive it. I felt like I could place it exactly where I wanted to in the turns. The best new performance car for the money in the industry right now. Comparably equipped, it’s about $50K cheaper than a 911S, and I honestly cannot say it’s $50K worse. Hats off to the team at GM. They really knocked it out of the park with this one. The Corvette is finally a world class sports car, no excuses or justification necessary.

I’m just not sure I’m ready to deal with the stigma attached with owning a Corvette. I was getting my Boxster washed yesterday, and ran into the owner of a Stingray in the line in front of me. I shit you not, this guy was a walking stereotype. He was about 70 years old, wearing a tracksuit, and had gold chains around his neck.

Porsche Cayman GTS: Man, this thing really stole my heart, but I guess you can’t go wrong when the recipe is 2900lbs, mid-engined, 340hp, and RWD. Beautiful GT3-esque leather/alcantara interior and vastly improved exterior from the previous gen. The whole cockpit wraps around you and the car feels much smaller and lighter than the 911. The sports exhaust on this car was great as well. Pops and burbles every time you let off the throttle. Very addicting. It’s adaptive, so you can tone it down if you need to. Same with the suspension. Kind of a jeklyl/hyde car. You can drive it comfortably around town and get pretty good mileage or take it to some twisty roads or racetrack and feel right at home. Possibly the best handling car in the group as well. I could take any turn at any speed without upsetting the car. Stuck to the road like glue. I felt the most comfortable driving it, but that might be because it is the most similar to my Boxster. It flows like a river through a series of bends. You feel totally connected to it. Everything is so smooth and predictable. I honestly don’t know what else you could want from a sports car. Don’t think there is a better experience available unless you spend considerably more and step up to a Ferrari 458 Italia.

A lot of my thoughts echo those of Steven Sutcliffe from Autocar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxXrDIevmlY

Only thing stopping me from ordering one is spending $90K+, and still hearing the “lol, poor man’s 911” comment from ignorant folk.

Audi R8 V10: This was my first R8 drive. I never drove the V8. From what a friend told me, the V8 is a bit anemic and doesn’t have the performance to back up the exotic looks and price tag. The example I drove was a Spyder, but I would go for a coupe if I got one. White with carbon blades is my dream combo. Absolutely intoxicating sounds coming from that Lamborghini V10 that revs to over 8K RPMs. Out of all the cars, definitely the one that felt like a true supercar. Gated 6 speed manual was one of the best I have used. Every gear banged with a reassuring clunk. Think reloading a bolt action rifle. The clutch was also super soft, and it was a very easy car to drive. Throws the notion of traditional supercar out the window. I could see myself driving this everyday without issue if I got one. Got a lot of attention everywhere we went. Still looks fresh, even after being on the market for 6 years. Clean used ones are still around $130K, so the most expensive option by a good margin. Hoping the new Huracan based model being revealed next year drops the price on the current cars.

So, in summary, if I was to buy a car now, it would be between the Corvette and Cayman. If I was to wait until next year, probably an R8 V10.(And if I somehow won the lottery, I'd be heading straight to the nearest Ferrari dealer for a 458 Italia)

Smokey

Agree about the GTS. I test drove it and loovvveeed it. I drove the auto tho but it was very fun.

Still haven't gotten in a Vette yet unfortunately.

N-Bomb

So after owning my 2015 WRX for a few weeks now, I looked at the MPG read out, and did the math myself after two fill ups and it seems to be shy just a tad. It's read out is 27.8mpg, my math is just over 28mpg, pretty close.

What's the kicker is that I live in a pretty mountainous area. No interstate travel. Turbo. AWD. 28mpg. That's pretty incredible for me.. I know people who got tuned then making around 300whp picked up to an additional 8mpg lol.

Subaru really did a good job here. I am pleased. Can't wait for spring when I go on a part ordering binge and get it tuned by Evans here in PA.

TGV delete! TGV delete!

----------------------------

I'm thinking of ditching my EVAP system, and maybe venting my heads to atmosphere - anyone have any opinions on this, assuming emissions are not an issue?

Only thing stopping me from ordering one is spending $90K+, and still hearing the “lol, poor man’s 911” comment from ignorant folk.

Nobody says this sort of thing anymore. If anyone does they're dumb and you don't need to worry about them.

And I have an air cooled 911, so by rights I should think you're some sort of pond scum.

Evo X

Agree about the GTS. I test drove it and loovvveeed it. I drove the auto tho but it was very fun.

Still haven't gotten in a Vette yet unfortunately.

Yeah, if I order the GTS, I would probably do European Delivery in the spring. What better way to break it in than to take it around some of the best driving roads in the world. :D

If you want to test drive the Vette, see if you can find a used one by you. They are much more flexible with test drives on those vs new ones. About your Z06 comment earlier, I would be interested as I think it's going to offer crazy performance for the money, but am put off by two things. One is I simply don't see myself using anywhere near that much performance on the street, and I don't go to the track often enough for it to be worthwhile. Second, the dealers around here are asking for huge markups on them. You probably won't be able to get them at sticker until a year from now. It's a great car, but I don't have the heart to spend $120K on a Chevy. One of the reasons I've been ignoring the GTR so far.

Nobody says this sort of thing anymore. If anyone does they're dumb and you don't need to worry about them.

And I have an air cooled 911, so by rights I should think you're some sort of pond scum.

Yeah, that's true. I don't really care what people say. If I did, I would not have spent $80K buying 2 Mitsubishi Evos. lol

Evo X

Another car I'm considering is the BMW M4. I had an E46 M3 and loved it. My brother in law has an E92 M3 competition package that is a blast to drive from time to time.

I know it's not going to be as sporty as the Porsches or Vette, but they make amazing daily drivers. It's all a matter of priorities I suppose. There's a nice white one at a dealer near me, but it's gonna be pretty hard to test drive one.

I would flat out refuse to ever buy a car that a dealer doesn't let me test drive first, and I'd tell them to go fuck themselves while I was at it. If you've got the money, and the thing is insured, I don't see why it would be a problem.

I understand having restrictions to make sure that some 19 year old dipshit doesn't drive it into a tree, but come on.

I remember a former idiot friend of mine making fun of his co-worker for buying a 135i, calling it a chick car, calling the guy a badge-whore because he couldn't afford a "real" BMW.

Said friend drove an eight year old Taurus at the time, and still does.

They're still out there, but yeah, their opinion is worthless.

Another car I'm considering is the BMW M4. I had an E46 M3 and loved it. My brother in law has an E92 M3 competition package that is a blast to drive from time to time.

I know it's not going to be as sporty as the Porsches or Vette, but they make amazing daily drivers. It's all a matter of priorities I suppose. There's a nice white one at a dealer near me, but it's gonna be pretty hard to test drive one.

Just say no to the M4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TLxUc2oz0I#t=96

J-Rzez

TGV delete! TGV delete!

----------------------------

I'm thinking of ditching my EVAP system, and maybe venting my heads to atmosphere - anyone have any opinions on this, assuming emissions are not an issue?

You seem to have the know how to do it so go for it. If you don't have a sniffer emissions test or know a slap and stick you might as well.

rokkerkory

E92 M3 owner here and just cringe at the sound the car makes (M4). REAL LET DOWN :(

N-Bomb

Poor thing sounds like it has a whooping cough.

You seem to have the know how to do it so go for it. If you don't have a sniffer emissions test or know a slap and stick you might as well.

I haven't read anything particularly nasty about either thing, aside from needing to be careful filling up the tank, and maybe some plumbing issues w/ the air/oil breathers. And being earth-enemy #1. Just curious is anyone else has done this and has thoughts on it.

Damn, that sounds terrible. Maybe it's better in person?

90% chance that I'm not gonna buy it. Was just throwing it out there. I don't really need more than 2 seats, and that was it's biggest advantage.

I couldn't say for sure, but that exhaust note has been a complaint in every review and it doesn't sound any better in any video I've seen.

It's like they didn't even try. :(

Bandit1

Ah well, the final race to the chase has been run in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. And boy what a charade the sport has become. Here are the standings in case anyone is interested:

1 Brad Keselowski
2 Jeff Gordon
3 Dale Earnhardt Jr.
4 Jimmie Johnson
5 Joey Logano
6 Kevin Harvick
7 Carl Edwards
8 Kyle Busch
9 Denny Hamlin
10 Kurt Busch
11 Kasey Kahne
12 Aric Almirola
13 AJ Allmendinger
14 Matt Kenseth
15 Greg Biffle
16 Ryan Newman

Now I say charade because when the chase first started the cutoff was 10 drivers, and this was supposedly to drum up interest in the sport and make the "chase" to the championship more exciting. Then they bumped it up to 12, and this year it's 16. Oh but this year we're going to go "elimination style" so apparently every three races some of the drivers get knocked out or something I still don't know what's going on. But apparently now you can run great all year, make the chase, but have some bad luck the next couple races and be knocked out of the chase, and then slaughter everybody out there on the track the rest of the year with no chance at the championship. Are we freaking kidding me? Meanwhile NASCAR's running these "green" commercials trying to show how environmentally friendly they are with their E85. When you're running 43 cars 500 miles every weekend and the cars get 5 MPG you aren't THAT green. I mean who are they pandering to? The environmentalists will still hate them anyway. And while I'm on the subject of the National Association of STOCK CAR Auto Racing, why are they running these shell cars? Why not race cars like this?

2012-boss-race-car.jpg

Obviously other series do it. All factory sheetmetal, factory engine block. Inspire some competition between the big 3 and whatever Toyota can bring to the track. In the old days this brought the Charger Daytona, the Torino Talladega, and the Monte Carlo Aerocoupe. Just a few years ago it could have at the very least forced the Camaro and Challenger to lose some weight, and isn't that what everybody truly wants?

/rant/

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm worried that I am getting old. That new corvette looks fucking amazing in real life.

Reassure me that Chevy simply got it right this time.

Reven

I'm worried that I am getting old. That new corvette looks fucking amazing in real life.

They more than got it right, they nailed it. There's no need to worry that you're getting old, you just have good taste.

Ty4on

My M5 is a manual (obv)... only way to drive an M car, IMO. BMW's gearboxes are pretty solid, too. I would hate to buy a new badass car without a manual. Very glad the F Type R coupe has the option.

Awesome M5 you've got. I've sadly never driven an E39, but I really like the aesthetics. Probably my favorite looking saloon and even though it's fairly common here (non M5 ofc) I still stare when I see a clean one.

Manual wise I was wondering how E60 M5 availability was in the states. I know you were lucky enough to get a manual version. It's way uglier than the E39, but that engine will probably go down in history as an example of what BMW can do with N/A. Almost sounds like a baby Mclaren F1, though you have to live with the diesel-like idle :p

A week ago I test drove for the first time a GT86/Scion FRS
I drove an automatic cause I also wanted to test out the paddle shifting(First time for everything).

I must say..... I need this car in my life. If you wanna have fun with a car at a reasonable price... this is the one to get.

I know people have been singing praises about this car for the past two years, and it's definetly well deserved.

You need to push this car around 6000/7000 RPM To get the excitement going but that's fine with me.

If i wasn't commited on buying a condo in the next few months, i'd be signing my life away at the dealer. It's that damn good.

Also, not a fan of the new miata. Still looks stale, it'll get purchased by old geezers with too much time and money on their hands.

Evo X

So after much consideration and thought, I've decided to remove the Cayman GTS from my list.

The one I was looking at was $94K and they wouldn't budge a dime. If I wanted to order a custom one with less options, it would be at least a 4 month wait.

It's just in a very strange price point that doesn't make sense to me. Because I'd rather spend $20K less and get a loaded Stingray or Cayman S or spend $30K more and get into a used R8 V10 or F430, both of which are legitimate super cars which will actually lose less in deprecation over the next 3 years than a new GTS.

Nope, you're alright. I'm 25 years old and am seriously considering getting a Stingray. It's like a greatest hits mix of so many awesome cars that I'm finding it hard to justify spending money on anything else. It's got the looks of a 458, tons of torque like a GTR, awesome competition seats and suede/leather/carbon interior like a GT3, great chassis balance like a Cayman, a 7 speed gearbox better than the 911s, and gas mileage close to a 4 door family sedan. All this coupled with fantastic magnetic suspension and brakes.

What more could you possibly ask for in a sports car?

Guys I'm completely in love with the 350z. Have been for about ten years.
Now that I have a pretty well paying job I can save up for a car like that and I'm looking to possibly get it in a year or two.

I'm concerned about how it'll deal with the sometimes harsh Estonian winters though. I've heard about some bad rust issues and that some models don't have traction control, which I'm probably seriously gonna need during the winter.

Currently driving a 2000 Saab 9-5. It's a reliable one and I'm fine with driving it for a while longer. Just bought new winter tires too.

Other cars I've been looking at are the Mustang GT and your regular Audis and Volvos.

So the Viper is dropping price by $15k. So it now starts at $84995. Current owners get a $15k certificate that can be used towards the purchase of a new one

http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsr...CE025CA56A17757B21E6556C204F4E?&id=16039&mid=

Guess they were feeling the pressure from the Z06 price point.

Well when you're getting your ass handed to you by a car half your price, something's gotta give.

The XE looks fine. Doesn't evoke a whole lot of emotion but it looks good.

Nafai1123

Banned
Wow, I had no idea this thread existed.

Just got my new car this weekend!

hyundai-genesis-coupe-r-spec-1.jpg

2012 3.8 R-spec in black. 306hp, 6-speed, mmmmmmm sogood.gif

Top Bottom