• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AFAIK case-flex in the 5spd is a myth, if that's what you're talking about.

for holding power is what they are talking about, so I can build the 2.5 thats already in the car, my drivetrain is pretty set to 400wHP.

at the very least I can throw on the supercharger and Power FC and have a little fun without worrying about breaking my transmission.

J-Rzez

The difference in our WRX and theirs still isn't clear as far as power goes. Do they get more cause of better gas? Different tune? It's a difference of only 30hp so we shall see.

It's all in the tune, which is in part, fuel. The S4 is using the FA20DIT from what people dug around to find, their STI is a EJ20. This is why tuners here are pulling crazy numbers from basic tunes and the most basic bolt ons. This motor is thus far a gem. We'll see how it stands the test of time, but it's been good thus far in the Forester and WRX for people. In fact the only complaint I have thus far is throttle input, which people say a Cobb tune fixes. Makes it less touchy, more linear.

You'll be happy with the STI. When you get it, good luck. Break it in properly, that's my only advice with that motor. Many run great, make great power. Some though, i'm sure you're aware of the stories.

Scoobert

It's all in the tune, which is in part, fuel. The S4 is using the FA20DIT from what people dug around to find, their STI is a EJ20. This is why tuners here are pulling crazy numbers from basic tunes and the most basic bolt ons. This motor is thus far a gem. We'll see how it stands the test of time, but it's been good thus far in the Forester and WRX for people. In fact the only complaint I have thus far is throttle input, which people say a Cobb tune fixes. Makes it less touchy, more linear.

You'll be happy with the STI. When you get it, good luck. Break it in properly, that's my only advice with that motor. Many run great, make great power. Some though, i'm sure you're aware of the stories.

I've been reading up on both cars. They are both great IMHO. Not too worried about the stories. Currently have a '13 WRX hatch. I've also had a first year mkv GTI and an Evo X. Wouldn't go back to VW ever. Cars are nice but I've been in for warranty work more than every car I have owned put together. Sigh.

I did love my Evo though. But it's not a daily driver for me. It's a 2nd or even 3rd car. Sti is more of a daily driver for me. And that Subaru resale value is so good. I can sell my hatch for more than I paid brand new. And get the Sti for $300 under invoice.

I still keep going back and forth though. I'll see how it goes with my dealer. Still not due until sometime in September.

N-Bomb

for holding power is what they are talking about, so I can build the 2.5 thats already in the car, my drivetrain is pretty set to 400wHP.

at the very least I can throw on the supercharger and Power FC and have a little fun without worrying about breaking my transmission.

Breaking the transmission is more an issue of driveline shock and abuse rather than power you're putting through it. If you're going to be doing 4 wheel burnouts on asphalt, etc. An upgraded clutch may cause premature failure too, b/c it'll slip less and put more stress on the parts. Basically just make sure your shifting technique is good and you're not abusing it, and you should be fine.

I've been reading up on both cars. They are both great IMHO. Not too worried about the stories. Currently have a '13 WRX hatch. I've also had a first year mkv GTI and an Evo X. Wouldn't go back to VW ever. Cars are nice but I've been in for warranty work more than every car I have owned put together. Sigh.

I did love my Evo though. But it's not a daily driver for me. It's a 2nd or even 3rd car. Sti is more of a daily driver for me. And that Subaru resale value is so good. I can sell my hatch for more than I paid brand new. And get the Sti for $300 under invoice.

I still keep going back and forth though. I'll see how it goes with my dealer. Still not due until sometime in September.

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Breaking the transmission is more an issue of driveline shock and abuse rather than power you're putting through it. If you're going to be doing 4 wheel burnouts on asphalt, etc. An upgraded clutch may cause premature failure too, b/c it'll slip less and put more stress on the parts. Basically just make sure your shifting technique is good and you're not abusing it, and you should be fine.

Yea I put a street ACT clutch on it, and I only abuse it on the dirt lol.

and yea it has a reinforced case so no case flex problems.

but the internals are stronger, http://flatironsrally.typepad.com/f...ar-sets-wrx-legacy-gt-sti-ra-and-more.html#tp

so much that I hear 1st and 2nd are so strong they arent absorbing the damage and most LGT owners burn up clutches easily.

J-Rzez

Do I have to? Lol

You have to. The night I got back with the car people showed up at my door wearing blue and yellow hoodies. Made me take a knee and they knighted me into the family with a jackstand wrench. They then handed me a basket with a coffee mug, water bottle, granola bars, and a hella super tone brochure in it.

N-Bomb

MisterNoisy

You have to. The night I got back with the car people showed up at my door wearing blue and yellow hoodies. Made me take a knee and they knighted me into the family with a jackstand wrench. They then handed me a basket with a coffee mug, water bottle, granola bars, and a hella super tone brochure in it.

What is it with the Scooby drivers and those horns? I've seen them on other cars, but that upgrade is pretty much a rite of passage with WRX/STI ownership.

N-Bomb

What is it with the Scooby drivers and those horns? I've seen them on other cars, but that upgrade is pretty much a rite of passage with WRX/STI ownership.

I guess since they're quite visible (I mean within the community), newbies figure they're also a good thing to get when looking for an upgrade.

I hear they're pretty good, but they're a bit too high pitched for me.

mkenyon

Banned
WtkOsgY.jpg

TransTrender

Gold Member
Knee jerk observations about cars in Japan, specifically Tokyo.

I saw about 3 hybrid cars in total, all Toyota, two Priiii and one Crown Saloon or something.

Didn't see any cool cars except for a clapped out 240SX and a first generation Impreza WRX wagon.

Most of the cars are small and miserable, which is unfortunate.

J-Rzez

I think the older oem horns sucked hard, thus it became mandatory. But things changed in time. Now I believe people either are just used to having that tone or like the look.

I agree with that I don't care for their tone.

On a side note, ordering that Mishimoto intake tomorrow... wish me luck!

So this Sunday is the first time I'll be taking my Porsche 944 out on the track and it's the first time I'll be driving on competition tires. Anyone have any tips on driving on comp tires? It's mostly a shakedown run for the car but if I can get some speed out of it that's all the more fun.

Edit: I should add that this is the spec racer I'm building, I'm not just some idjit who through R comps on a DD.

J-Rzez

So this Sunday is the first time I'll be taking my Porsche 944 out on the track and it's the first time I'll be driving on competition tires. Anyone have any tips on driving on comp tires? It's mostly a shakedown run for the car but if I can get some speed out of it that's all the more fun.

You talking about R-comp tires? Get some heat into them before you really push them. Also remember that you're going to notice a lot more grip, and you're going to feel the bar is raised, but with that there is a finer line to when you cross their threshold. Street tires give put some noise and feel out before they let go, R-Comp, not so much.

Enjoy though! Good luck.

Annnnnd, Mishimoto intake on hold now. Cobb is releasing one. I'd rather order theirs if built nice because they'll give full support with their AP on OTS tunes.

You talking about R-comp tires? Get some heat into them before you really push them. Also remember that you're going to notice a lot more grip, and you're going to feel the bar is raised, but with that there is a finer line to when you cross their threshold. Street tires give put some noise and feel out before they let go, R-Comp, not so much.

Enjoy though! Good luck.

Yep, Toyo Proxes RR. I'm not going to push them too hard since I fully expect one thing or another on the car to break, but I want to get used to the tires.

N-Bomb

Annnnnd, Mishimoto intake on hold now. Cobb is releasing one. I'd rather order theirs if built nice because they'll give full support with their AP on OTS tunes.

Unless they changed something, the stock airbox should be good to 400-450 whp, why are you swapping it out?

robox

Knee jerk observations about cars in Japan, specifically Tokyo.

I saw about 3 hybrid cars in total, all Toyota, two Priiii and one Crown Saloon or something.

Didn't see any cool cars except for a clapped out 240SX and a first generation Impreza WRX wagon.

Most of the cars are small and miserable, which is unfortunate.

the tokyo motoring public is a lot like the mainstream motoring public anywhere: cars are merely appliances for getting around. and the cheapest way, both buying and upkeep are sub-700cc kei cars.

i donno how long you've been there, but pay attention and you should see interesting cars show up. i swear, japan has half the world's running lancia delta integrales

TheBear

Yep, Toyo Proxes RR. I'm not going to push them too hard since I fully expect one thing or another on the car to break, but I want to get used to the tires.

What compound? I run a Hankook Z221 and the first lap or so is pretty hairy as it takes a while to get heat into the tyres. Work the tyres and don't worry about pace the first few laps to adjust to the grip and get some heat in the tyres. Also, are you running ABS? If not, just be mindful of flat spotting your tyres as that can ruin your day. If you've ever done a track day on road tyres you'll notice a massive difference in grip. Have fun!

TCRS

Banned
The new Volvo XC90:

2015-volvo-xc90-16-1.jpg

2015-volvo-xc90-18-1.jpg

2015-volvo-xc90-17-1.jpg

2015-volvo-xc90-22-1.jpg

finally back to a rectangular design. the current models look weird, this new one and the ones coming based on this design language will look great I'm guessing. Finally Volvo being Volvo again.

No Love

Banned
Yeah but when are you going to post that video. YOU KNOW THE ONE.

PS - Congrats dude.
Thanks man.

Best looking BMW by a country mile.

I agree. The E39 M5 is gorgeous in every single way. There is not one aspect of the car that is not beautiful.

HHHHHNNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!! Gorgeous car man. She looks like a longtime keeper. Enjoy.

Thanks dude. You can come check her out tomorrow on your way to San Diego if ya want.

Gorgeous M5. Things are appreciating like crazy. I wish I had bought one last summer when I had the chance.

My most wanted BMWs would be a E39 M5 and a manual swapped E38 7 Series like in The Transporter.

They're still really cheap. I bought this one for $13k!

Very nice. Congratulations.

Congrats! Hell of a find - it looks damn near brand new.

It actually has 132k miles on it, believe it or not. But yeah, inside and out, it looks brand new.

She's a beaut. Super congrats - is it your dream car, or just an opportunity?

It's one of my favorite cars of all time but I might sell it for a profit since I'm starting my own business in San Diego in 2-3 months and have to invest money into that. After that's going I should be able to buy supercars n shit in a couple years if all goes well.

TheBear

WOW. That looks amazing! Great work.

Absolutely gorgeous. Amazing work!

That's a pretty awesome thread, will make for a good read. The car looks beautiful.

This is really impressive. Have any more details?

Thanks guys, it's been a very rewarding exercise and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The Calsonic R32 has always been my dream race car and this thing puts a huge smile on my face when I look at it. But out on the track is where it really shines. And the sound is AWESOME. Sidepipes FTW

N-Bomb

Thanks guys, it's been a very rewarding exercise and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The Calsonic R32 has always been my dream race car and this thing puts a huge smile on my face when I look at it. But out on the track is where it really shines. And the sound is AWESOME. Sidepipes FTW

You know, I've been curious about something that your car has reminded me about:

With all the BS on the internet surrounding IP rights and this and that, do companies care if cars are splashed with their logos? Have their been any cases w/ people getting C&D'd about what's on their cars?

I guess this would be not just about logos, but also those itashas and other cars that might have copyrighted characters or art on them.

Anyone know?

TheContact

Need some help guys.

I can't afford my mercedes c240 2005 anymore. Every other month for last year or so I'm getting hit with repair bills starting at 900 and I just can't afford to keep the car as much as I love it. I'm paying the last 900 to replace a Purge shut off valve then I'm going to sell it. So I need help with getting a new car. I want something comfortable, preferably has blue tooth for phone hookup, is reliable, has good gas mileage,is relatively cheap to maintain, and costs around $16-17k. Any suggestions? I live in the US

The new Volvo XC90:

2015-volvo-xc90-16-1.jpg

2015-volvo-xc90-18-1.jpg

2015-volvo-xc90-17-1.jpg

2015-volvo-xc90-22-1.jpg

finally back to a rectangular design. the current models look weird, this new one and the ones coming based on this design language will look great I'm guessing. Finally Volvo being Volvo again.

Not a bad design language. I really don't like the vertical wire design on the front grille though. The T-shaped LED driving lights are a nice touch. It's also interesting that they completely did away with manual knobs for climate control, radio, etc. and made all the controls touch controls on the tablet. It makes for a really clean looking interior.

Volvo isn't really being Volvo anymore though. They did away with their hallmark 5 banger turbos and T6's and moved to strictly inline 4 motors on all of their cars. Also not offering manual gearboxes anymore in North America and I won't consider buying another Volvo until they do.

You'll never buy another Volvo then (at least not new). There's no going back to manuals at this point, save for the rare instance that a brand launches a new sports car or something, and even then, it'll probably be a DCT going forward.

I like their new design language inside, and the refresh of the Volvo badge is also pretty well done. That wagon concept from a year ago is pure sex.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The new Volvos are gorgeous. I love my mom's S60 T5 AWD. And the new T5 costs the same, but has a turbo 4-banger with electric powertrain that makes 300HP. That's fucking awesome.

Plus, the S60s handle like a dream. E46 BMW caliber with sport package. Absolutely love it. I can only imagine the new S60 will look downright marvelous with this design language trickling down to it.

TheBear

You know, I've been curious about something that your car has reminded me about:

With all the BS on the internet surrounding IP rights and this and that, do companies care if cars are splashed with their logos? Have their been any cases w/ people getting C&D'd about what's on their cars?

I guess this would be not just about logos, but also those itashas and other cars that might have copyrighted characters or art on them.

Anyone know?

I doubt it. Replicas are fairly common and this is a very well known car. It's also free advertising and I don't think Calsonic would be too interested in hunting me down for promoting their brand. I've certainly never heard of it.

You'll never buy another Volvo then (at least not new). There's no going back to manuals at this point, save for the rare instance that a brand launches a new sports car or something, and even then, it'll probably be a DCT going forward.

I like their new design language inside, and the refresh of the Volvo badge is also pretty well done. That wagon concept from a year ago is pure sex.

That’s not necessarily true. Europeans still love their manual trannies. European carmakers (that are still actually European) like BMW and Audi still offer manuals on their brand new 2015’s. Volvo is owned and run by a Chinese company now though, so I’m not surprised they went all auto.

The new Volvos are gorgeous. I love my mom's S60 T5 AWD. And the new T5 costs the same, but has a turbo 4-banger with electric powertrain that makes 300HP. That's fucking awesome.

Plus, the S60s handle like a dream. E46 BMW caliber with sport package. Absolutely love it. I can only imagine the new S60 will look downright marvelous with this design language trickling down to it.

Wait, the motor is a 4 banger turbo but they labeled the car a “T5”? lol, that doesn’t make any sense. I thought T5 was supposed to stand for “turbo 5 cylinder.” I guess they didn’t like the way “T4” sounded.

That’s not necessarily true. Europeans still love their manual trannies. European carmakers (that are still actually European) like BMW and Audi still offer manuals on their brand new 2015’s. Volvo is owned and run by a Chinese company now though, so I’m not surprised they went all auto.

That's interesting. I kind of assumed that they're slowly dropping manuals across the pond as well. I can definitely see them sticking around in cheaper cars to stay price competitive.

MilkBeard

Here is a nice piece on the topic .

The TL/DR version: "Yes, the manual has disappeared from race cars. And it's disappearing from boring cars. But the clutch pedal is alive and well. You just have to know where to look."

That's a good way to look at it. While manuals are disappearing from daily drivers and luxury vehicles, car makers come out with specific performance-minded versions that come with manual exclusively or at least have it as an option. And those models do sell.

Top Bottom