• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Wow, I had no idea this thread existed.

Just got my new car this weekend!

hyundai-genesis-coupe-r-spec-1.jpg

2012 3.8 R-spec in black. 306hp, 6-speed, mmmmmmm sogood.gif

awe its too bad you didnt see this thread sooner, you could have ended up with a better car :)

Nafai1123

Banned
awe its too bad you didnt see this thread sooner, you could have ended up with a better car :)

Between my GT86 obsessed friends and my Beemer obsessed friends it wasn't easy. :p

Other cars I tested/were interested in.

335i/135i (too expensive w/ low miles + maintenance costs)
2014 Mustang V6 w/ Performance Package (dime a dozen + despite the performance, there's still part of me that would loathe a 6 cylinder Mustang)
Fiesta ST/Focus ST/GTI (great cars, fun to drive, but meh @ FWD)
GT86 (awesome drivers car, but honestly just too slow for me. Didn't feel like much of an upgrade from a NB Miata).

Overall the Genny offered the right amount of performance + driving feel at the right price....plus I love that they aren't all that common around me. Once I rebadge it many people won't even know what it is.

Revson

Hi guys, long-time lurker here.

I was wondering if any of you have good online resources/advice for detailing? I picked up a 2015 BRZ Series Blue in July and have been building up my arsenal of detailing supplies ever since.

Here she is at the dealer:
hlOGaNml.jpg

At home:
jfYwt1Fl.jpg

Thanks guys!

friday

Yeah autogeek is my go-to site for detailing. I always went for a simplest setup. I prefer good results and less time spent rather than perfect, but lots of effort. I had a Porter Cable DA and usually a 2 stage buff system. After that I would use the 2 stage Klasse treatment. I really like the Klasse system.

MilkBeard

I was wondering if any of you have good online resources/advice for detailing? I picked up a 2015 BRZ Series Blue in July and have been building up my arsenal of detailing supplies ever since.

Here she is at the dealer:
hlOGaNml.jpg

At home:
jfYwt1Fl.jpg

Thanks guys!

This one looks especially good with the matching black bodykit and rims. Is that a factory option? I've seen a ton of FRSs/BRZs on the road but none like this.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
My original want was a gated shifter car. I ended up with the F1 first. Found a stick car that ticked all the boxes, made it mine.

Surprisingly, I'm enjoying myself more in the F1 car. Maybe it's the pulled exhaust valves...

I'd rather go Scud than 458 at this point.

MisterNoisy

Wow, I had no idea this thread existed.

Just got my new car this weekend!

2012 3.8 R-spec in black. 306hp, 6-speed, mmmmmmm sogood.gif

Nice! I had a '11 Track for a few years - great car and a ton of fun if you can find places/time to wring it out. Replace the pads with higher performance stuff if you want to get the most out of the Brembos.

Revson

This one looks especially good with the matching black bodykit and rims. Is that a factory option? I've seen a ton of FRSs/BRZs on the road but none like this.

The Series Blue is a limited edition for 2015. It has the STI aero kit and wheels as well as a different interior to the standard BRZ.

I think Subaru made 1000 Series Blue BRZ's for the US; 500 in white, 500 in World Rally Blue.

http://www.subaru.com/2015-brz-series-blue.html?gclid=CO-f9KmN18ACFa_m7AodbysAUw

I am loving it so far, such a fun car.

Yeah autogeek is my go-to site for detailing. I always went for a simplest setup. I prefer good results and less time spent rather than perfect, but lots of effort. I had a Porter Cable DA and usually a 2 stage buff system. After that I would use the 2 stage Klasse treatment. I really like the Klasse system.

Thanks!

Evo X

My original want was a gated shifter car. I ended up with the F1 first. Found a stick car that ticked all the boxes, made it mine.

Surprisingly, I'm enjoying myself more in the F1 car. Maybe it's the pulled exhaust valves...

I'd rather go Scud than 458 at this point.

Whatever floats your boat. If you've got the dough for 2 F430s, who am I to judge.

I've never driven a Scud, but far prefer the 458 to 430, at least as a street car. In fact, I think I already mentioned that the 458 is at the top my most wanted list, but it's out of my reach.

If you ever want to sell that 6 speed 430 though, shoot me a PM. They are almost impossible to find, and the last proper gated shifter Ferrari. That or an R8 V10 are probably the most I can justify spending on a fun car for the moment.

J-Rzez

Thanks guys!

Autogeek has a lot of useful vids and such. As an owner of a WR Blue WRX, put some pinnacle carnuba on it for the summer months to accent the pearl and metallic then for the other 9 months put on some Wolfgang polish on if you deal with crappy winters. You can actually layer the pinnacle and Wolfgang for the summer too just the set time for the polish takes longer but looks fantastic when finished.

For the interior, 303 aerospace protectent no questions asked.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The Mercedes-AMG GT is a gorgeous fucking car. Holy moly.

In other words, I put my M56S on a dyno while visiting NYC last week. This dyno is a bit of a heartbreaker, but I wanted the car tuned anyway. Peak stock numbers were:

370WHP
400WTQ

After

377WHP
410WTQ

Gains throughout the curve were 25WHP and 40WTQ low end. LOL. The car absolutely DESTROYS the rear tires on a launch all the way through 3rd gear. The VLSD is putting in good work, though, keeping it straight. No one-wheel-peel.

Peak/high end didn't gain as much because the car's exhaust system is otherwise stock. I'm ordering a full Stillen exhaust shortly to let it breathe.

Other dynos would probably peg the WHP around the 400WHP mark.

No Love

Banned
The Mercedes-AMG GT is a gorgeous fucking car. Holy moly.

In other words, I put my M56S on a dyno while visiting NYC last week. This dyno is a bit of a heartbreaker, but I wanted the car tuned anyway. Peak stock numbers were:

370WHP
400WTQ

After

377WHP
410WTQ

Gains throughout the curve were 25WHP and 40WTQ low end. LOL. The car absolutely DESTROYS the rear tires on a launch all the way through 3rd gear. The VLSD is putting in good work, though, keeping it straight. No one-wheel-peel.

Peak/high end didn't gain as much because the car's exhaust system is otherwise stock. I'm ordering a full Stillen exhaust shortly to let it breathe.

Other dynos would probably peg the WHP around the 400WHP mark.

Damn, that M56 motor is solid. The M56 reminds me of a more modern E39 M5. A spiritual successor of sorts. Would you say that's accurate?

AlphaSnake

Damn, that M56 motor is solid. The M56 reminds me of a more modern E39 M5. A spiritual successor of sorts. Would you say that's accurate?

Something akin to that, yeah. It handles great, has fantastic steering feel and feedback, and the rear active steer system does help around bends. All it needs is a slightly wider rear tire and an exhaust.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Thanks, guys!

I decided at the outset that I will only buy cars that I'm absolutely comfortable racking up miles on. In addition to being an excellent driver's car, the F430 sits at a great place on its depreciation curve. I've averaged 3,000 Ferrari miles per month since purchase.

I've driven it and can say definitively that the 458 Italia is a great car and worth the premium. Going to 9k in a tunnel put the biggest smile on my face. I'd love to try the Speciale ...

Here are a few more shots of the F1.

F3.JPG

F1.JPG

F2.JPG

Vyroxis

Banned
How are the overall reviews on the Chrysler 200? Thinking of getting one, and most of the reviews I have seen are pretty favorable aside from one person calling it a spec built rental car but I am not up to date on review sites to know which ones are good, and which ones are bullshit.

paskowitz

How are the overall reviews on the Chrysler 200? Thinking of getting one, and most of the reviews I have seen are pretty favorable aside from one person calling it a spec built rental car but I am not up to date on review sites to know which ones are good, and which ones are bullshit.

I have driven it. It is indeed a nice car. Looks good in darker colors. Interior is a little busy and you can tell it is not an Audi (duh). Overall, the ride is softer and less "direct" than a Fusion, Mazda 6, or Honda Accord, but the larger engine w/AWD has a lot of grunt. Felt more like an Audi in that respect.

Massive improvement over the outgoing shitbox, but it's in a market filled with cars trying to one-up each other.

Especially with really new versions of the Mazda6, Accord, Sonata, and Fusion as possible rivals.

So this Sunday is the first time I'll be taking my Porsche 944 out on the track and it's the first time I'll be driving on competition tires. Anyone have any tips on driving on comp tires? It's mostly a shakedown run for the car but if I can get some speed out of it that's all the more fun.

Edit: I should add that this is the spec racer I'm building, I'm not just some idjit who through R comps on a DD.

Oh hey! I never provided a fun update, so here ya go!

The tires were astounding, the level of grip that you get above and beyond even high performance summers is out of this world. They weren't too much to handle when they broke free of the limit, either, so I was concerned over nothing I guess. The 944 definitely likes to oversteer, too, so that's a lot of fun.

Downside, though, is that stuff broke. On my first run the alternator tensioner tie-rod somehow managed to escape the car. It was simply gone, no explanation, it must still be at Waterford somewhere. I ran out to Ace Hardware, thankfully open on Sunday over Labor Day weekend, and picked up a freakin' turnbuckle and slapped it in there with a whole mess of washers. Surprisingly it worked fine (once, that turnbuckle is messed up as hell now).

So anyway I get the car running and ready for session 2. I go out for 10 minutes and start getting black flags (they showed the flags but didn't point at me, I thought it was a course black) so I come into the pits. I'm met by the chief tech holding a very large fire extinguisher. Turns out the corner workers said I reeked of gasoline and yep, my gas cap was shot and was pretty much pouring it out along the side of the car. Okay no big deal I switched it out with my truck's and went back out.

Last session everything went perfectly. Motor was screaming, temps were good, no gasoline smell, brakes felt great and the tires were hauling my ass around like I wouldn't believe. So I run the full session, come into the pits and... why is it so quiet why is the engine hot oh shit oh shit the fans aren't coming on fuck fuck fuck. I pull into my paddock spot and kill the engine, at which point the coolant boils over and starts dumping onto the ground. I switch fuses for the fans but the fuses immediately blow--everything had gotten so hot in the car that I'm guessing the relay box was cooked and the resistance was way too high across the fan line. I disconnected one of the fans, put a new fuse on and turned it on. I waited a couple of minutes, burped the coolant, turned the car back on and watched the temps come back down from way too god damned hot.

Otherwise, though, it's running without abnormal sounds (aside from the heat cracking the fuel rail so it's spilling fuel onto the head).

Back in the garage at home, though, new sounds emerge--almost like, but hopefully not, rod knock.

So I pull the head to check it for straightness (and I can mill it down for more compression for the race series) and here is my head gasket. No surprise there's a bit of coolant in the oil.

D7gZLpk.jpg

So! Up now is a milled head, new gaskets all around and, if after reassembly and a few oil/coolant flushes it's still making noise, dropping the pan to replace the main and rod bearings.

A year and a half on and off I've spent prepping the car and I get one day before breaking it. Sigh.

Anyone have any familiarity with Audi's SUVs, specifically the Q5? A friend of mine has it in his head to buy one used but I can't say much about their quality and reliability, outside of the awfulness of the mid '00s.

Scoobert

Grats! Proper name to go with the car. Looks more aggressive in a non-press shot than I realized.

Lol thanks. Car definitely looks better in person as I'm sure the others on here who have it can say the same. I was one of the first that completely dismissed the car when it was unveiled. Finally able to see it in person and the fact I ended up getting it for $500 under invoice sure helped lol.

So far I'm loving the car. I had a '13 WRX and interior alone is a millions times better. Slowly but surely Subaru getting into the right times.

AlphaSnake

Welp, I figured out one huge bottleneck my car has. My OEM intake filters were disgustingly filthy. I mean charcoal black, as dark as the bolded text. I have no idea why after 15K miles the filters were in such terrible shape, but they were also covered with bugs (dragonflies even), and so air intake was obviously suffering quite a bit as a result.

This car doesn't have a standard drop-in filter, so it required the removal of the airbox to get to the filter (although I discovered a workaround). So I first got rid of the bugs and went to AutoZone for some K&Ns at $55 each.

After I installed them, I noticed something odd...the air inlets for the intake are facing upward...not down, not forward, but upward. They're drawing in air from the top. So I looked at the plastic shroud cover that I took off:

NISSAN_VK56VD.jpg

And I look underneath it, and it has these reaaallly tiny and narrow inlet ducts that guide the air to the airbox. And I immediately thought what a terrible, restrictive design, and then realized it's done to also muffle the shit out of the engine. And I was right. So I left it like this:

uIFRMOd.jpg

I took that pic just now, after about 80 miles of driving. The sound of the motor has dramatically improved, as this has effectively eliminated a lot of restriction - the motor would whisper before, but it growls and howls now. If you've ever done an aftermarket intake on a motor that had more than 3.0L of displacement and loved the sound difference, then you know what I mean by the change in tone - it sounds beautiful.

Most importantly, it's also added a fantastic surge of power that is now consistent all throughout the revband. Which leaves me extremely pissed that I didn't do this before, because I dyno'd the car with old oil and fucked up filters, and a chunk of plastic choking the intake.

I know if I went back to the same dyno I'd have put down 380+WHP stock and 400WHP with the tune. It makes sense now why the car did not respond to more fuel when it was being tuned - it was actually losing power. It couldn't breathe enough to justify the mixture.

Oh well, I've got a custom exhaust that should be put together for it soon enough. It'll breathe more, and then I'll dyno it again. All I know is that this car is an animal and I love it.

Top Bottom