• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

No Love

Banned
My M5 is a manual (obv)... only way to drive an M car, IMO. BMW's gearboxes are pretty solid, too. I would hate to buy a new badass car without a manual. Very glad the F Type R coupe has the option.

Any particular reason you went for a 2-way diff?

Honestly, on the track, it's a nice feeling (the positive lock during gas/brake). I haven't driven modded street car with on for a while. I'm kinda back and forth between a 1.5 and 2 way. I'll have to drive my friends 2 way setup to see if I'm down with the aggressiveness, noise, and low speed wheel hop.

I have a 1.5 in there right now, and it's been nice. Right now I just like to cruse on my free time at night. The shop has both in stock if mine is past the point of a rebuild.

I should have my mind made up by tomorrow.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Infiniti is going back to a hydraulic steering system for the Q50S:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/31/infiniti-q50s-getting-g37-hydraulic-steering/

Woah. Fantastic news!! I've driven Q50s a few times. Loaded ones with the full interior treatment are gorgeous inside and the hybrid sport is a superb choice. But the steering always did bother me. It felt loose and floaty. This changes things considerably.

After the Jaguar lease is up, if I can't upgrade I may consider this in Hybrid Sport trim.

Honestly, on the track, it's a nice feeling (the positive lock during gas/brake). I haven't driven modded street car with on for a while. I'm kinda back and forth between a 1.5 and 2 way. I'll have to drive my friends 2 way setup to see if I'm down with the aggressiveness, noise, and low speed wheel hop.

I have a 1.5 in there right now, and it's been nice. Right now I just like to cruse on my free time at night. The shop has both in stock if mine is past the point of a rebuild.

I should have my mind made up by tomorrow.

Haha hardcore. I had a Tomei 2 way diff before and the chatters during u-turns and low speed turns got a lot of attention. Also requires a fuckton of diff fluid maintenance...

Why are alignments so expensive?

I've called a bunch of shops around DFW and the chains start at $80 but they don't do custom setups, there's 2 shops really close to me that can do custom for $150 and Cobb Tuning does it for $100 I believe but they're about an hour away from me.

On the other hand, I've finally fixed my suspension troubles! I installed a set of Koni adjustable shocks and a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs.

10410778_10204618163439305_459701357457035195_n.jpg

Top is the stock ride height and bottom is with the shock/spring combo. The front end is a little taller for some odd reason but it's apparently how it is.

Anyway, the best thing about it is the handling. Body roll got cut by 75% and it rides pretty supple. The car drives more pointed and it really does drive like a go-kart now.

Now if only the alignments are cheap, next up are a set of sways to completely cut body roll and a Roadstersport Q muffler. Being a broke college students sucks! :(

Andy Palmer is Aston's new CEO.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/02/andy-palmer-aston-martin-ceo-official/

Aston Martin has been without a helmsman since Ulrich Bez stepped down from the chief executive office at the end of last year to serve as non-executive chairman in a semi-retired ambassadorial capacity. The British automaker, now on the cusp of a new era, has been running without a CEO since, but has now named Bez's replacement in Andy Palmer.

If you don't recognize the name, you should: Palmer has worked under the Renault-Nissan Alliance for decades now, rising through the ranks to become one of the top executives under Carlos Ghosn. Most recently he was serving as executive vice president of the entire group and chairman of the Infiniti brand, but like Carlos Tavares, who recently left Renault to run Peugeot, Palmer is now embarking on a new mission as CEO of Aston Martin.

Once the transition period is complete at the start of October, Palmer's role as Chief Planning Officer at Renault-Nissan will be assumed by Philippe Klein, who steps up from his current role as executive vice president of product planning for Renault. Read the statements from both companies below.

Don't know much about him to be honest, but I'm sure curious to see what he can do with Aston. That new Lagonda is ugly as all sin, so I sure as shit hope that thing isn't a vanguard for their new design language. The last thing Aston needs right now is to drop the one thing they still do better than most.

Gritesh

I'm at a complete loss for what to do.

I know I want this car, I have wanted it for a very long time.

I currently drive a full size truck (Toyota Tundra) and would have to give that up to get the car, problem is I use the truck for alot of things around the house, such as hauling renovation materials, buying furniture, going snowboarding to the mountains etc..

I feel I may really miss the truck if I let it go.

Also, I want the STI and I know with my luck I will pull the trigger and then they will announce a new engine coming in the next year, or eyesight. Also now with the leaks of a possible hatch I'm stuck in another position of do I wait longer to see whats coming..

Gritesh

This definately wont be final looks if it even is the WRX hatch, alot of people speculating it could be the impreza sport

$150 for a custom four-wheel alignment isn't bad at all, and is 100% worth it, especially after slamming it like that.

I guess. I just didn't really factor in the cost for the alignment when I planned the suspension swap. All told, I've spent about $1200 on parts and installation.... $1400 once you add in the alignment.

Man, modifying cars can be dangerous to the wallet lol.

Hey GAF, I just got my first car (2000 Honda Civic LX) and I had a few questions.

My dad told me that the radiator tubes were soft (weak?) before he got news ones and the car's temp gauge would rise pretty high. He told me not to run the AC in case something happens and because it's not good for gas mileage. So I was wondering does running just the fan have the same effect or can I run it safely?

MilkBeard

Hey GAF, I just got my first car (2000 Honda Civic LX) and I had a few questions.

My dad told me that the radiator tubes were soft (weak?) before he got news ones and the car's temp gauge would rise pretty high. He told me not to run the AC in case something happens and because it's not good for gas mileage. So I was wondering does running just the fan have the same effect or can I run it safely?

Here are some links to other people sorting through overheating problems with a 2000 Civic lx (seems like it's pretty common for this particular car with high mileage):

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/339607-2000-honda-civic-ex-overheating.html
http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/2000-civic-lx-overheating-help-please-93175/

In one thread it happened to be the head gasket. If you have air bubbles in your coolant it will cause your engine to overheat. In the other thread it seemed to be some kind of temperature switch.

If by 'fan' you mean the blower, then yeah it should be okay to use that while driving. If the engine starts getting hot then turn it to heat and full blast and it will help take out some of the heat from the engine.

You should get your car diagnosed because overheating is no joke.

rokkerkory

Infiniti is going back to a hydraulic steering system for the Q50S:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/31/infiniti-q50s-getting-g37-hydraulic-steering/

on manual transmissions: at least here in Europe they're still very much alive. most BMW 3 series cars seem to have a manual gearbox. I've also seen a few BMW 5s with a manual gearbox, but with such a big luxury car auto makes more sense imo. especially when it comes to selling it.

Thank god... Q50 is such a ket down after awesome G37S. I cant stand all the Q names to be honest. G3x had cool and unique ring to it.

J-Rzez

Didn't take long... 3 fresh chips in my windshield from work loader trucks not having proper covered backs and flying down a bumpy public road. Calling said contractor company tomorrow since PennDOT won't do shit and just tell me to call them instead even though they're contracted out to them.

TransTrender

Gold Member
the tokyo motoring public is a lot like the mainstream motoring public anywhere: cars are merely appliances for getting around. and the cheapest way, both buying and upkeep are sub-700cc kei cars.

i donno how long you've been there, but pay attention and you should see interesting cars show up. i swear, japan has half the world's running lancia delta integrales

I am visiting the country for the first time and that was impression after a few days in Tokyo. A week later, still the same.

I saw one cool car parked out front of a Jonathan's the other day. My first guess it's a 1st generation Celica. I'll upload the pic later when I find it.

Haha hardcore. I had a Tomei 2 way diff before and the chatters during u-turns and low speed turns got a lot of attention. Also requires a fuckton of diff fluid maintenance...

Yeah, after driving my friends 2 way, I'm going to stick a Kaaz 1.5 back in there. I don't think I'll be at the track enough to make that purchase type worth it. I have to say, that an older man walking with his wife asked if my car (friends car) was alright, because it sounds like the rear is "broken" when I was coming around the corner (lights) HAHA!

Man, modifying cars can be dangerous to the wallet lol.

It's too late my man...

MisterNoisy

It looks really good, but not enough to convince me to ditch my NC1 for this. Maybe down the line when it's more affordable for me to buy the ND instead of dropping an LS in my NC haha.

For some reason, I want the headlights to be larger/higher and the cowl/A-pillar to taper more smoothly to the nose instead of that fairly sharp bend in the side profile about 7" back from the front axle. Otherwise, the exterior styling looks pretty good, and the interior looks great.

I was surprised that the headlights were that small. That's concept size.

I was expecting this, basically:

In fact, I think the first refresh is going to add that chrome accent to the grille. I think they had this design down before kodo or something.

ameratsu

Autocar

This is the all-new Mazda MX-5. The fourth-generation version of the 25-year-old rear-drive roadster is new from the ground up and enters the market next July with a brand new rear-wheel-drive chassis and two new petrol engines, all built using the company’s SkyActiv technology.

The firm describes the new model as "returning to the original aims of the first generation car and embodying the fundamental pleasure of driving an open-top lightweight sports car in a product suited to today’s needs."

This latest version reverses the trend of generational changes of MX-5s by being lighter and smaller than the car it replaces. Mazda isn’t saying exactly what the new weight figures are but it will admit to savings "of around 100kgs", meaning that the base model should end up being just a shade over one tonne.

As well as using SkyActiv design to cut weight from the Mazda's chassis, the bonnet, boot and front wings are now made from aluminium – and a lighter material has also been used in the soft-top hood construction.

The new car is also 105mm shorter in overall length than the outgoing version, though its wheelbase has only shrunk by 15mm. It is also 20mm lower, but 10mm wider.

So far Mazda will only admit to power being provided by a newly developed SkyActiv engine that will be longitudinally mounted in the nose. Inside sources, however, admit that there are likely to be two new direct-injection petrol engines on offer, one a 1.5-litre and one a 2.0-litre.

Both are reworked versions of engines already powering the company’s hatchbacks and are likely to offer around 140bhp and 180bhp respectively. This represents a small power advantage over current models – our source admitted that the "US market wouldn’t accept less power" – but with the weight savings they promises superior power-to-weight ratios, extra performance and considerable fuel economy and CO2 advantages.

Mazda is already being bullish about the credentials of the new rear-drive chassis which, as before, has double-wishbone front suspension and a multi-link rear end. Company boss Masamichi Kogai has already talked about the new car recapturing the agility and fun of the first generation model. "The original concept behind the MX-5 was so simple; to offer the pure joy of a lightweight sports car that moves precisely as the driver intends," he said.

To assist this the engine now sits lower and further back than previously, lowering the centre of gravity and, according to product development boss Nobuhiro Yamamoto, the MX-5 now has a perfect 50:50 weight balance.

The design work was mainly carried out at the company’s Japanese headquarters under the direction of Ikuo Maeda. Like the company’s recent saloons and hatchbacks it’s referred to as being part of the ‘Kodo’ design philosophy – but it’s a more simple, sculptured look than we’ve come to expect from modern Mazdas. It's more sharp-edged than with previous MX-5s too.

Inside, there are plenty of MX-5 hallmarks. It’s still a snug two-seater and it’s still possible to lower the manually operated soft-top hood with one hand. You still sit low in the car but the view out is claimed to be superior as the bonnet has been lowered and the A-pillars and windscreen header rail have been made thinner.

Like previous incarnations the cabin looks cluttered and all the controls are simple. The centre of the dash top is now dominated by an infotainment screen, derived from the Mazda 3 hatch. Like other Mazdas it’s also controlled by a rotary knob, nestling next to the conventional handbrake.

There’s also a tangible uplift in cabin quality compared to previous incarnations, with far more soft-touch surfaces and more stowage space. More attention has also been paid to keeping passengers from being buffeted whilst driving with the hood down. Mark 1 MX-5 fans will also no doubt recognise the headrest-mounted speakers, intended to help maintain music volume with the roof down.

Prices will be announced closer to the on sale date but there’s likely to be a small rise compared to current models. As such a base 1.5-litre model should cost around £20,000 when it hits the showrooms.

When the new Mazda MX-5 launches there will also only be a soft-top model, but it's understood that a folding metal-roofed coupé will join the line-up as this model currently accounts for 80% of UK sales.

friday

I am really digging it. So many cool details here and there. The proportions really make it look NA small. The skinny tires are nice, no need for big modern wheels and tires. It also looks great in red. God it's gonna be like the NA all over again, 8 out of 10 sold were red I swear.

MisterNoisy

I am really digging it. So many cool details here and there. The proportions really make it look NA small. The skinny tires are nice, no need for big modern wheels and tires. It also looks great in red. God it's gonna be like the NA all over again, 8 out of 10 sold were red I swear.

I do like a lot of the detailing - the little openings to the left/right of the grille mirrored in the lights/reflectors in the rear, the sharp crease at the fender peaks and the way each detail (headlights, side markers, the aforementioned openings, etc) has a little extended crease in it that pushes further into the sheetmetal than the rest of the element.

Wish they'd go back to the NA-style door handles (or a more modern variation thereof), though. Standard pull-handles aren't special enough for the Miata.

EDIT: Mad kudos for having body-color interior bits.

No Love

Banned
Fucking love it. The new Miata looks fantastic. Wow. Huge styling improvement. I guarantee it's going to be amazing to drive.

N-Bomb

It looks really good, but not enough to convince me to ditch my NC1 for this. Maybe down the line when it's more affordable for me to buy the ND instead of dropping an LS in my NC haha.

The eyes are a bit squinty, but that looks freakin' amazing. Can't wait for specs.

Interesting to see a very positive reaction to it. I stopped by the Miata.net forums and the geezers in there are utterly disappointed it doesn't look anything like the NA or NB. I purposely left out the NC crowd(they love it though) because apparently the NC is the black sheep of the Miata's though I think the ND just changed that lol.

I keep staring at it and yeah it looks really good, like holy shit, that's a Mazda and not a European car?!

But as I said above, the looks just haven't really convinced me to replace my NC with one. Maybe it's because I'm holding out hope for the next Supra/RX-9 or maybe I'm just really happy with what I have right now haha.

MilkBeard

It is a very good looking car, and looks like it will be a blast to drive. I do miss the happier looking headlights of the previous model, but this seems like it is going for a more serious look, which is nice change for a miata.

friday

With the motor so centered in the car and weighing less than 2300lbs I bet it drives awesome. I would like to see HP output around 160 or more, who knows. I am also very interested to see what kind of MPG it pulls off. A Skyactive motor in a car that light has gotta be efficient.

Fucking living in NYC, I want another Miata.

TylerD

Fucking love it. The new Miata looks fantastic. Wow. Huge styling improvement. I guarantee it's going to be amazing to drive.

Yeah it does. Speaking of looking fantastic...

I met FailWheelDrive and his M5 my last night in California (La Jolla). It is in excellent condition and pulls like a freight train. It was great to meet you man. I am mad jealous of that weather that keeps cars looking great.

J-Rzez

Wow did Mazda fucking kill it with the looks of the new Miata. Damn it looks incredible. It puts many much-much more expensive roadsters to shame. We'll have to see what they do motor wise, but regardless with those looks and said weight reduction most likely leading to some incredible agility in this day and age, you will see at least one of these cars per day on the road. Mazda won't be able to keep up with sales, it looks that fantastic. Mazda would have to royally mess up the engine selection/pricing for this to fail.

Your move Honda.

On another note, Nameless is in the process of "fabbing" my exhaust. Which means, hopefully, hopefully, I'll have it for next weekend to troll around with.

ruxtpin

Banned
Anyone know what the deal is with buying a car out of state? I'm looking at finally purchasing something soon, but I get the best deal by buying the car at an out of state dealership and then setting up courtesy delivery down here (in Georgia). I'm curious if I have to pay taxes in the state where I buy it from, or the typical GA taxes - I checked the DMV site but all the jargon is a bit confusing.

Anyone know what the deal is with buying a car out of state? I'm looking at finally purchasing something soon, but I get the best deal by buying the car at an out of state dealership and then setting up courtesy delivery down here (in Georgia). I'm curious if I have to pay taxes in the state where I buy it from, or the typical GA taxes - I checked the DMV site but all the jargon is a bit confusing.

I bought out of state. My dealer asked my what the sales tax in my state was, and then included that in the amount I paid him. He then sent me a certified cheque with the amount of the sales tax (made out to the my state's SOS) along with all the other paperwork I needed. I just gave everything he sent me to my DMV.

Evo X

You pay the taxes in your home state. Just pay the dealer the price of the car and shipping costs. Once the car gets to you, you can go to the DMV to register it and pay for taxes, license plates, etc.

rokkerkory

New Miata <3

I hope the 2.0 liter 4 banger is unique and not the 155hp version from the mazda 3.

Hoping it's more like 180hp.

No Love

Banned
Yeah it does. Speaking of looking fantastic...

I met FailWheelDrive and his M5 my last night in California (La Jolla). It is in excellent condition and pulls like a freight train. It was great to meet you man. I am mad jealous of that weather that keeps cars looking great.

Haha thanks man. It was great to meet you too! I hope you have a chance to move over here one day, I think you'd really love it. And your E46's paint would thank you. :D

Evo X

Shopping for a new sports car, and I've narrowed it down to these 4. For reference, I've got a 987.2 Boxster S right now.

Porsche 991 Carrera S
Jaguar F-Type V8S
Corvette Stingray Z51 3LT
Porsche Cayman GTS

I managed to test drive all of them this past week, and can post my impressions if anyone is interested. Likewise, if anyone owns or has experience with these cars, I'd like to hear from you.

Another left field option is I buy none of these now, and save up for an R8 V10 next spring. Thoughts?

Top Bottom