• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So the new Caddy flagship/STS/XTS replacement will officially be called the CT6.

I can only assume that this means the CTS will become the CT4 next gen and the ATS will become the CT2. Then the Coupe versions will get odd numbers so the ATS Coupe will be the CT3, the A7/6-Series/CLS competitor will be the CT5.

I also assume the SUVs will be renamed to CX2/CX4/CX6

stupid-gifs-6.gif

In related idiotic brand news, a surefire way to keep me away from your brand is to hire this fuckbag:

Nike swooshes for DRLs and that asshat. Just throw in some beats by dre and you're set, Lexus. Ugh.

1) I feel like Johan De Nysschen is a one trick pony. Carlos Ghosn he will never be. The Cadillac line did not need a naming update, they're within a decade of their last one - another one would be jarring and alienate people again. People were already extremely familiar with the A, C, D and S letters. They should've just dropped the S at the end and named the new car the ST. Rename the CTS to CT. ATS to AT. Etc.

I don't even understand why they picked the number 6. If it's a flagship, it needs to sound like a flagship number, 7 or 8 would've done.

2) Lexus' marketing group are fucking idiots. They're trying to cater the NX to 20-year old up and coming urban hipsters and women. Neither of them like Will.i.Am or find him relevant. If I was the boss of whoever approved this, I'd fire the entire staff.

zbeeb

So the new Caddy flagship/STS/XTS replacement will officially be called the CT6.

I can only assume that this means the CTS will become the CT4 next gen and the ATS will become the CT2. Then the Coupe versions will get odd numbers so the ATS Coupe will be the CT3, the A7/6-Series/CLS competitor will be the CT5.

I also assume the SUVs will be renamed to CX2/CX4/CX6

Aside from the shitty naming scheme, CX# also poses issues with Mazda using CX5/CX7/CX9 already for their SUVs.

1) I feel like Johan De Nysschen is a one trick pony. Carlos Ghosn he will never be. The Cadillac line did not need a naming update, they're within a decade of their last one - another one would be jarring and alienate people again. People were already extremely familiar with the A, C, D and S letters. They should've just dropped the S at the end and named the new car the ST. Rename the CTS to CT. ATS to AT. Etc.

I don't even understand why they picked the number 6. If it's a flagship, it needs to sound like a flagship number, 7 or 8 would've done.

2) Lexus' marketing group are fucking idiots. They're trying to cater the NX to 20-year old up and coming urban hipsters and women. Neither of them like Will.i.Am or find him relevant. If I was the boss of whoever approved this, I'd fire the entire staff.

Yep. The first time he got lucky that he was running a marque with people who already "got" it.

Aside from the shitty naming scheme, CX# also poses issues with Mazda using CX5/CX7/CX9 already for their SUVs.

Good point. What else would they do though? CR2 4 or 6? SX? I dunno.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Cadillac needs better marketing and better pricing. The cars are great but they need more and cooler younger people driving them for a decade before they try matching the Germans and Japanese on price.

Get caddies in games, winning races, looking better and don't try to solve the issue overnight.

Competing on value is a controllable start.

AlphaSnake

Cadillac needs better marketing and better pricing. The cars are great but they need more and cooler younger people driving them for a decade before they try matching the Germans and Japanese on price.

Get caddies in games, winning races, looking better and don't try to solve the issue overnight.

Competing on value is a controllable start.

Basically what I said on the previous page. Their marketing department is an enormous joke right now. You change the name of your cars all you want, if you're not appealing with the right looks and the right appeal, you're not doing shit. People above 45 should not be your target audience, because they become complacent and start settling for Toyotas and Hondas. Relevance means targeting prime demographics who want to spend money, who are recently successful, come from financially solid families, who want the newest and latest great object that isn't a derivative.

The 45-60 demo will come if you serve a youthful product, they always do. Corvettes are purchased by men and women of all ages, because they can appeal to both spectrums, as far as sports cars go. It's simply the human psyche - old people will always want what the young people are into. And fortunately, automobiles, unlike other technology (smartphones, TVs, PCs, tablets, etc) are some of the easiest and most universal to jump into and understand for both types of folk. Granted, some cars are getting quite a bit complicated with infotainment systems and all.

Good point. What else would they do though? CR2 4 or 6? SX? I dunno.

They could pull an Audi and reverse it lol. You know how like how they took BMW 3-series to Audi A3/S3 and 5-series to A5/S5 and so on.

So Mazda CX-5 to Caddy 5CX and CX-7 to 7CX.

Anyway, I'm in my mid-twenties and the only Caddy I'd want to buy is a CTS-V wagon. Everything else is just bleh to me.

My problem with them, aside from the styling cues, is that their image is akin to BMW but without the heritage of the brand. When I think Caddy, I think of a Escalade carrying a try-hard celebrity and cars that drive like boats on land. Meanwhile when I think of BMW, I picture the glorious E30 series and the M cars.

Honestly, until Caddy can get rid of that stigma, they're gonna be struggling for a long time with the younger crowd. They need to revive the brand in a way that completely disregards the past and start new. It's not that hard too. Broke and tiny-ass Mazda was able to pull it off in the last 2 years, I don't see how a company with boatloads of cash can't do it.

AlphaSnake

They could pull an Audi and reverse it lol. You know how like how they took BMW 3-series to Audi A3/S3 and 5-series to A5/S5 and so on.

So Mazda CX-5 to Caddy 5CX and CX-7 to 7CX.

Anyway, I'm in my mid-twenties and the only Caddy I'd want to buy is a CTS-V wagon. Everything else is just bleh to me.

My problem with them, aside from the styling cues, is that their image is akin to BMW but without the heritage of the brand. When I think Caddy, I think of a Escalade carrying a try-hard celebrity and cars that drive like boats on land. Meanwhile when I think of BMW, I picture the glorious E30 series and the M cars.

Honestly, until Caddy can get rid of that stigma, they're gonna be struggling for a long time with the younger crowd. They need to revive the brand in a way that completely disregards the past and start new. It's not that hard too. Broke and tiny-ass Mazda was able to pull it off in the last 2 years, I don't see how a company with boatloads of cash can't do it.

Infiniti did it too. Their F1 partnerships AND victories helped tremendously, as well.

Cadillac needs to throw the new CTS-V into some touring car races, pronto.

AlphaSnake

You mean specifically touring cars? They're already active in GT.

Does anybody even care about touring and GT racing aside from its tiny niche market?

Good point, I forgot they have a Pirelli Cup GT car, that is a really niche race though, like you said. A bigger race, like FIA WTC would be the ideal entry.

Good point, I forgot they have a Pirelli Cup GT car, that is a really niche race though, like you said. A bigger race, like FIA WTC would be the ideal entry.

I bet it might help over in Europe but I don't think anybody cares about it in the states. I do consulting with GM and you'd be surprised (or not) to learn that even most of their employees don't know about GM's corvette, cadillac (and cruze!) racing teams.

You mean specifically touring cars? They're already active in GT.

Does anybody even care about touring and GT racing aside from its tiny niche market?

Europe still cares about GT racing as does a decent number of the enthusiast market (which is a niche now) in the US. Perilli is a blip though compared to Tudor, WEC, and Blancpain.

But I do agree winning GT series won't be what they would build a comeback marketing campaign off of.

Infiniti did it too. Their F1 partnerships AND victories helped tremendously, as well.

To be fair I think the JDM scene also helped Infiniti rise up the ranks as everybody knew G35/G37 = Skyline. Hell I still dream of buying one and replacing the Infiniti badge at the back with Skyline lol.

Actually now that Caddy has De Nysschen, why don't they just emulate Infiniti? Do a ATS Eau Rouge, stick the CTS-V engine in an SRX a la Juke R. Do something crazy to attract attention from the younger crowd if they don't wanna ditch their heritage of land yachts and try hard celebrities.

May 2014: water pump + thermostat + labour = 2k

August 2014: power steering pump + labour + some check up = 1300

September 2014: water pump hoses all cracked + labour = 350

Fucking Christ. BMW is fucking dog shit post warranty.

AlphaSnake

May 2014: water pump + thermostat + labour = 2k

August 2014: power steering pump + labour + some check up = 1300

September 2014: water pump hoses all cracked + labour = 350

Fucking Christ. BMW is fucking dog shit post warranty.

What car? 335?

Shouldn't they have noticed the cracking hoses when they did the water pump? They could have saved you labor charges. Find a different mechanic, or sell the car before the electronics start to go.

AlphaSnake

Yeah 335XI 2008 107K KMs. I'm never getting another BMW ever again, especially a high performance one.

Same here. Had a 335i Coupe myself...loved it, but I sold it at the right time. Water pump was getting ready to fail, in addition to a bunch of other bullshit that dealer said was not CPO covered. LOL. Fuck your CPO, BMW dealers.

That's when I got the Jaguar.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Same here. Had a 335i Coupe myself...loved it, but I sold it at the right time. Water pump was getting ready to fail, in addition to a bunch of other bullshit that dealer said was not CPO covered. LOL. Fuck your CPO, BMW dealers.

That's when I got the Jaguar.

I wouldn't get a performance version of a European car for this exact reason. I love for example the S and RS Audis, not so much because of performance, but because of the cool aesthetic touches like the grill, brightwork and so on, but since I don't really care about an extra 15mph, or a second or two shaved off my 0-60, there is no way I'd take on the extra stress and cost of an engine that is more or less designed to burst, and whose engineers were told not to worry about how or where the components are mounted.

How has the Jaguar been, btw? And how's the road noise and comfort?

AlphaSnake

I wouldn't get a performance version of a European car for this exact reason. I love for example the S and RS Audis, not so much because of performance, but because of the cool aesthetic touches like the grill, brightwork and so on, but since I don't really care about an extra 15mph, or a second or two shaved off my 0-60, there is no way I'd take on the extra stress and cost of an engine that is more or less designed to burst, and whose engineers were told not to worry about how or where the components are mounted.

How has the Jaguar been, btw? And how's the road noise and comfort?

Jag's been reliable as a rock. The 5.0 is an absolute gem of an engine. Just has been getting regular maintenance and the occasional software update.

Put it to you this way, the car's been through hell and back (had pretty much half the driver's side replaced and the other half repainted after a drunk taxi driver sideswiped the shit out of me on a highway). That was 18 months ago and there have been no side effects to that accident ever since. Jags 2011-2012+ are extremely well built cars.

Road noise, there is hardly any. And it's extremely comfortable. It handles very well, and yet it's rolling on all seasons.

My M56S, on the other hand, has a bit more road noise because it rolls on 20s with firm high performance summer Bridgestones, and yet it's still a very comfortable car (took it to NYC and back, 2200+ miles total) and it (and I) survived the grueling NYC roads. I need to tell my Infiniti dealer to redo my alignment though, as it is a large part of why I have a bit more road noise than usual, they did a shitty job imo. And of course, I'm getting rid of the OEM Bridgestones for Continental DWs. I'd get Michelin Super Sports, but they don't offer them in my size 20s. :'(

AlphaSnake

why does it seem everyone in this thread (cept stinkles) gets banned frequently? (including me)

anyone know what happened to NLFFWD?

That's just the forum in general.

I don't often get banned. Probably once every 3 years now. Nbomb doesn't know how to walk the line of confrontational and aggressive. Same goes for Front Wheel though lol but he's an alright guy though. Nowhere near as judgemental as Nbomb. Also not an outspoken homophobe.

torontoml

So my truck came with 18" all terrain tires. Winter is approaching here, should I be getting winter tires. I feel like it would be worthwhile, but I have no idea what a good Truck winter tire is. The tires on it currently are 275/65R18, any suggestions?

Gritesh

So my truck came with 18" all terrain tires. Winter is approaching here, should I be getting winter tires. I feel like it would be worthwhile, but I have no idea what a good Truck winter tire is. The tires on it currently are 275/65R18, any suggestions?
Goodyear wrangler duratracs

Your welcome from Alberta

ascii42

Looks like the nomenclature for Cadillac SUVs/Crossovers will be XT_. The Escalade will remain as the Escalade, however. Not really sure the need for the new scheme, since at the moment they only have one crossover.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Why do people keep giving Johan de Nysschen money?

Infiniti renamed their stuff but overall I think their styling and whatever prestige they had just left the building. Overall I think the renaming of the product line was detrimental because people, by now, knew what the Infinity lineup was called. Now they have to do all this marketing to re-inform the people.

Now Cadillac. GM nepotism and failing upwards. Their naming convention was whatever, but now it just seems asinine.

Overall the industry trend for these changes, most recently Volvo, Infiniti, and Cadillac, doesn't make much sense to me because their product lines were alphabet soup anyway.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Looks like the nomenclature for Cadillac SUVs/Crossovers will be XT_. The Escalade will remain as the Escalade, however. Not really sure the need for the new scheme, since at the moment they only have one crossover.

See.

Look at that shit.

An effective name sticks while the BS alphabet soups gets slopped around.

AlphaSnake

Why do people keep giving Johan de Nysschen money?

Infiniti renamed their stuff but overall I think their styling and whatever prestige they had just left the building. Overall I think the renaming of the product line was detrimental because people, by now, knew what the Infinity lineup was called. Now they have to do all this marketing to re-inform the people.

Now Cadillac. GM nepotism and failing upwards. Their naming convention was whatever, but now it just seems asinine.

Overall the industry trend for these changes, most recently Volvo, Infiniti, and Cadillac, doesn't make much sense to me because their product lines were alphabet soup anyway.

Infiniti's styling has never been better. The Q50 is a gorgeous car. Better looking than the 3-series, ATS, etc. Right up there with the new C-Class.

I swear to you when I say that my Infiniti M56S probably gets more compliments than my 370Z did and my 350Z before it...and my Zs got a lot of compliments. Moreover, it gets more compliments and notice than my Jaguar does now, and again, the Jag got a ton of talk. It actually strikes just how many conversations and compliments my car gets...I'd say one of those reasons is because it is fairly rare in a sea of 5-series and E-Classes. Another reason is because it's extremely curvaceous, striking, fluidic and very appealing. You can't say the same about the flat-bodied 5-series, E-Class, CTS or A6. They're all homely.

The Infiniti pops. Much like other Infinitis do. If anything, the current lineup of Infinitis (save for the somewhat outdated coupe) are some of the best looking cars on the road per segment.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Infiniti's styling has never been better. The Q50 is a gorgeous car. Better looking than the 3-series, ATS, etc. Right up there with the new C-Class.
Personally I liked their previous body styles the most, and with every refresh I like them less and less. Especially with the shoe-horning of the corporate grill.

Also, how much of your original M56 styling is shown in the "new" Q70? Maybe it's because I haven't seen one in person, but the Q70 just seems extra swoopy and bulbousy...and don't get me wrong, I love some cars with swoops and curves.

Funny you mention the new C-Class. I found the exterior styling extremely disappointing compared to the last gen and the initial press releases.

AlphaSnake

Personally I liked their previous body styles the most, and with every refresh I like them less and less. Especially with the shoe-horning of the corporate grill.

Also, how much of your original M56 styling is shown in the "new" Q70? Maybe it's because I haven't seen one in person, but the Q70 just seems extra swoopy and bulbousy...and don't get me wrong, I love some cars with swoops and curves.

Funny you mention the new C-Class. I found the exterior styling extremely disappointing compared to the last gen and the initial press releases.

The M56 and Q70 are the same exact car. It's just a mid-cycle facelift. The only body panel they changed was the lower part of the front bumper and grille. Headlights and taillights are the same shape, just with different interior patterns.

Top Bottom