• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

MisterNoisy

So guys. I finally traded in my baby.... You'll be missed!

1959755_574836298540_1023721389_n.jpg

Got this fully loaded computer with wheels

e7e2f45ab0a3399711bd4b0045a699a0x.jpg

1d9b36f17225f4c65e048cd506b0b1c0x.jpg

3d428bd37b9647ecf84d5b265fcbccefx.jpg

dbe3346b4868c6f5a02d980d8a02bab1x.jpg

Congrats! Looks like a loaded Trailhawk - how you like it so far?

J-Rzez

Serious Question: Is anyone here a car dealer salesman?

Because I would really like to know why your business is such a fucking pathetic excuse for a consumer retail operation and secondly why as individuals you have to be such condescending pieces of shit and know less about the car you're trying to hawk me than the fucking APR rate on the dumbass financing I told you I did not want.

Seriously, were it not for rules and society I would have punched your fucking teeth in. I think you were starting to sense it too.

The reason I am not driving an expensive new automobile is literally your efforts to sell it to me.

Best experience I ever had at a dealership was when I bought my Evolution new. I walked in, they literally threw me the key and said "There's a good twisty road a mile or so down the road. Have fun". Came back, asked if I liked it, they then got the check tossed from me.

Even my last experience while not the worst, was annoying. They just don't leave you the fuck alone there or when you're home. They magically stop " caring" soon as the ink hits the paperwork for the most part.

I agree that its one of the worst consumer experiences in buying anything. You can sometimes have a better customer experience buying a TV at best buy than buying a car. That says a lot. Probably due to the commission environment.

Oh and thanks for showing me the car has two vanity mirrors and an auxiliary port. Much better than telling me interesting factoids on an enthusiast vehicle..

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Because I would really like to know why your business is such a fucking pathetic excuse for a consumer retail operation and secondly why as individuals you have to be such condescending pieces of shit and know less about the car you're trying to hawk me than the fucking APR rate on the dumbass financing I told you I did not want.

Seriously, were it not for rules and society I would have punched your fucking teeth in. I think you were starting to sense it too.

The reason I am not driving an expensive new automobile is literally your efforts to sell it to me.

It literally doesn't matter - this is not a wholly unusual experience. Although in this case it was Audi. Who I foolishly assumed would have a better class of scumbag, but not on Sundays.

I've worked in an Audi dealership before. Sadly a large amount of salespeople are like what you just described. There were a couple of sales people within my dealership that actually had the sense to treat customers well and become knowledgeable about the cars they were selling. Those were the ones that made yacht loads and held the high, high end customers. But for every one of those there were two or three others that were only interested in the paycheck and extracting as much commission from the customer as possible.
/rant.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with Audi. Hopefully that doesn't sour your taste for the brand itself, as they are generally fantastic vehicles.

By chance were you dressed in "everyday" clothes? Seems a lot of salespeople in higher end dealers will look down on a customer unless they come in dressed to the nines and ready to sign an IPO.
Negotiate with their internet manager online first and have them prep everything, you then show up, sign and go home in under an hour.

Or look on Audi forums and find a local rep worth talking to.

This is really good advice.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I've worked in an Audi dealership before. Sadly a large amount of salespeople are like what you just described. There were a couple of sales people within my dealership that actually had the sense to treat customers well and become knowledgeable about the cars they were selling. Those were the ones that made yacht loads and held the high, high end customers. But for every one of those there were two or three others that were only interested in the paycheck and extracting as much commission from the customer as possible.
/rant.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with Audi. Hopefully that doesn't sour your taste for the brand itself, as they are generally fantastic vehicles.

By chance were you dressed in "everyday" clothes? Seems a lot of salespeople in higher end dealers will look down on a customer unless they come in dressed to the nines and ready to sign an IPO.

This is really good advice.

I was dressed like a chump. But it is Seattle. I was practically in a tuxedo by comparison.

Anyway, Mercedes c class. Seems like it might be worth a test drive?

De Nysschen of Cadillac interview, paraphrased:

On Nomenclature: Premium buyers want to see hierarchy in naming conventions, they want to know what's best immediately. Millennials and Gen X'ers don't give a shit about the names of the Cadillacs of their grandparents. Cadillac expanding in foreign markets means they don't care about old names either.

On the Move to NY: Cadillac has immense talent but the personnel is often shared with activities in other brands, and if Cadillac is to play on the premium levels they need to remove themselves with dealing with the lower brands and "...eat, sleep, walk, talk, dream premium..."

On Cadillac Pricing, Specifically the CTS: Volume is less a concern, and Cadillac is now second only to Mercedes-Benz in profit per sale. Quality first, volume second.

Ty4on

Do cars still come with CD players? :

I thought they were being phased out.
I think it's still quite rare to find cars without them. Typically small cars aimed at younger people.
I still can't believe cars in the late 90s let alone some few years ago had cassette players. I thought they would be nice for an AUX adapter, but after some time they keep trying to reverse the "cassette".

I still like CDs because they just work unlike Bluetooth and are convenient unlike AUX (controls on the wheel). I'm talking about MP3 discs ofc.

I think it's still quite rare to find cars without them. Typically small cars aimed at younger people.
I still can't believe cars in the late 90s let alone some few years ago had cassette players. I thought they would be nice for an AUX adapter, but after some time they keep trying to reverse the "cassette".

I still like CDs because they just work unlike Bluetooth and are convenient unlike AUX (controls on the wheel). I'm talking about MP3 discs ofc.

I rented a Cadillac ATS two years ago that didn't have a CD player, it was pretty shocking back then. I go to shows to see local bands when I'm travelling for work and pick up CDs from groups I enjoyed so I've ended up with a little collection of CDs that I still like to listen to. I guess I could just compile them onto an MP3 player and store the CDs instead of keeping them in a book in my car, shouldn't I?

De Nysschen of Cadillac interview, paraphrased:

On Nomenclature: Premium buyers want to see hierarchy in naming conventions, they want to know what's best immediately. Millennials and Gen X'ers don't give a shit about the names of the Cadillacs of their grandparents. Cadillac expanding in foreign markets means they don't care about old names either.

On the Move to NY: Cadillac has immense talent but the personnel is often shared with activities in other brands, and if Cadillac is to play on the premium levels they need to remove themselves with dealing with the lower brands and "...eat, sleep, walk, talk, dream premium..."

On Cadillac Pricing, Specifically the CTS: Volume is less a concern, and Cadillac is now second only to Mercedes-Benz in profit per sale. Quality first, volume second.

Dafuq? I thought Porsche made like 50% profit on every car they sell?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I was dressed like a chump. But it is Seattle. I was practically in a tuxedo by comparison.

Anyway, Mercedes c class. Seems like it might be worth a test drive?

For sure. I'd recommend test driving all three of the German high end sedans. Each one has it's own style, ride, and philosophy.

ascii42

I rented a Cadillac ATS two years ago that didn't have a CD player, it was pretty shocking back then. I go to shows to see local bands when I'm travelling for work and pick up CDs from groups I enjoyed so I've ended up with a little collection of CDs that I still like to listen to. I guess I could just compile them onto an MP3 player and store the CDs instead of keeping them in a book in my car, shouldn't I?

The ATS I test drove had the CD thing in the glove box. Guess it's probably optional.

I still buy my music on CD, since I primarily listen to music in the car. I do always rip them in iTunes, though, so I suppose could make do if I got a car without a CD player.

N-Bomb

Now that I'm back from ban...

Since this is the place I spent most of my time, I just wanted to let anyone know that cares: you can find me on NASIOC and the Toronto Subaru Club under this username. Also @nbomb on twitter. Possibly elsewhere in the future.

I'm going to look into closing my account and taking my usership elsewhere b/c I don't like the direction the administration of this place has taken.

No, it has nothing to do w/ my previous bans although now those are put in perspective.
No, it has nothing to do w/ any of you that I know of (even Alpha :p).

It was truly a pleasure talking w/ most of you. Good luck and don't stop having fun with cars!

Qblivion

new auto tech student here: is the snapon student webstore literally unusable for anyone else? Tried at home and at school and product pages haven't been loading for a few days.

MisterNoisy

How to open the doors and hood of the BMW i8

This is a weird mix of both over and under engineering. Typical German engineering. Too focused on being "clever" to bother remembering that the vehicle needs to be serviced repaired throughout it's life.

The little loop of cable as a hood release is the icing on the cake. Crazy ass door handle that everyone breaks because of its absurd complexity followed by 'pull on this string'.

bcl0328

can't believe no one posted this yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7quu551ehc0

Under the presentation on this new version of the Model S, Elon Musk (CEO of tesla) also announced that it would be able to park on its own in a garage. So you can basically step out of your car and the car will park itself without anyone inside the car!

The new Tesla P85D is AWD and goes 0-60 in 3.2. Perspective: As fast as a McLaran F1 and faster than a Lamborghini Murciélago LP640.

The "something else" at tonight's Tesla even is Auto Pilot, a new system that combines a forward facing camera and 12 sensors that see 16 feet in every direction and provide a 360-degree view the surroundings. The camera does everything from seeing other cars to reading speed limit signs. Normal fare for luxury cars. Except it will also do a lane change for you just by pressing the turn signal stalk.

ATRXfrr.png

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
can't believe no one posted this yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7quu551ehc0

Under the presentation on this new version of the Model S, Elon Musk (CEO of tesla) also announced that it would be able to park on its own in a garage. So you can basically step out of your car and the car will park itself without anyone inside the car!

The new Tesla P85D is AWD and goes 0-60 in 3.2. Perspective: As fast as a McLaran F1 and faster than a Lamborghini Murciélago LP640.

The "something else" at tonight's Tesla even is Auto Pilot, a new system that combines a forward facing camera and 12 sensors that see 16 feet in every direction and provide a 360-degree view the surroundings. The camera does everything from seeing other cars to reading speed limit signs. Normal fare for luxury cars. Except it will also do a lane change for you just by pressing the turn signal stalk.

ATRXfrr.png

Unf.

Facebook friend is currently showing off his receipt.

So jelly.

Still hate the grill. Saturn level.

Yeah, all that autopilot shit is real neat and all, but I want real-world proof of it actually working in real-world conditions.

Will it drive up your driveway to your multimillion dollar mansion? Sure.

I refuse to believe it's going to find a spot for you without issue amongst the plebs at the local mega mall's garage.

I mean, I know that stuff is coming. Everyone and their mother is working on it, but because of that it's nothing special to me. It's not something I can get excited about.

Great 0-60 boost though. I wish they'd hurry up with the X and III though.

bcl0328

Yeah, all that autopilot shit is real neat and all, but I want real-world proof of it actually working in real-world conditions.

Will it drive up your driveway to your multimillion dollar mansion? Sure.

I refuse to believe it's going to find a spot for you without issue amongst the plebs at the local mega mall's garage.

I mean, I know that stuff is coming. Everyone and their mother is working on it, but because of that it's nothing special to me. It's not something I can get excited about.

Great 0-60 boost though. I wish they'd hurry up with the X and III though.

i don't see why it would be unrealistic. cars already can parallel park themselves. with all the sensors and scanners on this car it just has to navigate a garage and find an open spot.

i don't see why it would be unrealistic. cars already can parallel park themselves. with all the sensors and scanners on this car it just has to navigate a garage and find an open spot.

There will be moving pedestrains getting in the way, debris, random objects, etc. I just want to see real-world tests.

Porsche 918 Spyder, McLaren P1, and Fer--...um...Ducati 1199 Supperleggera drag race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfLqa4vlmFI

Ferrari afraid of playing with the big boys, yet again.

bcl0328

There will be moving pedestrains getting in the way, debris, random objects, etc. I just want to see real-world tests.

Porsche 918 Spyder, McLaren P1, and Fer--...um...Ducati 1199 Supperleggera drag race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfLqa4vlmFI

Ferrari afraid of playing with the big boys, yet again.

well of course, the car would be able to see that. i honestly would trust a computer way more than a human. they can react a lot faster.

Ty4on

I wish my parents were wealthier because then they would probably own a Tesla. Perfect winter car with no engine to heat up.

Ty4on

How does the battery fair in that cold of weather? I'd figure range would take a hit unless it's kept warm
Tesla has tons of info about running it in cold weather on the net. I don't really worry about range because I rarely drive 400km. It could be halved and would still be more than enough.

Luigiv

How does the battery fair in that cold of weather? I'd figure range would take a hit unless it's kept warm

You're not wrong, though any range or power limits are only temporary as the battery heats itself up while you drive. Alternatively, you can avoid that all together by leaving the car plugged in at night or programming it to start warming up before you drive.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Btw, saw a brand new 2015 Mustang driving by Downtown Disney the other day. Oddly enough, an older Mustang was right behind it. The new car makes the last car look so outdated and ugly. But still, something is off about the rear of the new car...and I think it's the fact that the rear bumper is way too low.

I saw some pics of one with a rear lip spoiler and it looked ages better.

J-Rzez

Man I'm disappointed how quiet my car is with a muffler delete. It should hold me over until spring when I see which downpipe holds up and puts down the most power. Of course I'll be getting a full tune then too. People are getting some nice numbers from the basics still, around 300-320awhp. That's all I need really. The wheels, tires, and suspension will end up running me $3-4 grand but will put the car where I want it to be.

From there ill just be banking up the cash for my Ariel Atom. Unless the next Supra impresses the piss out of me that will be my toy.

asdad123

Posting this for a friend. He has a 1999 Passat B5 5 speed manual. Yesterday when he was driving he heard a loud pop and the car stopped shifting completely. It stays in neutral. It starts right up no problem. It just won't go into any gear or reverse. When he tries to change gears, we heard it trying to change, but nothing. We got it towed today, and the guy said it's probably the clutch. Any other ideas or about how much a clutch replacement costs?

AlphaSnake

Posting this for a friend. He has a 1999 Passat B5 5 speed manual. Yesterday when he was driving he heard a loud pop and the car stopped shifting completely. It stays in neutral. It starts right up no problem. It just won't go into any gear or reverse. When he tries to change gears, we heard it trying to change, but nothing. We got it towed today, and the guy said it's probably the clutch. Any other ideas or about how much a clutch replacement costs?

Sounds like the shifter linkage area.

If a clutch shit itself, you usually smell it.

When you say you can hear it trying to change what does that mean? If he depresses the clutch and tries to change gears, does the transmission grind?

Hey guys, just wanted to say I lurk this thread a lot and really enjoy seeing what cars people own. I find it fascinating! This thread is like crack to a car nut.

My wife and I drive a 2011 Acura TSX Sportwagon and just thought I would share a few pictures of it. We love this thing. Great roadtrip car.

I'll tell you how it is here at Ford/Lincoln. I work as a tech for their MyFord/MyLincoln Touch so sales is out of my hand. With us, we have to fucking kiss ass to the customer because of the surveys. We have a survey system with bonuses to go with the pay check, so if even one of the questions doesn't come back completely satisfied, you can kiss your bonus goodbye. I don't know if Audi has a similar deal. If they do, you can bash them with the surveys if they pissed you off.

AlphaSnake

I'll tell you how it is here at Ford/Lincoln. I work as a tech for their MyFord/MyLincoln Touch so sales is out of my hand. With us, we have to fucking kiss ass to the customer because of the surveys. We have a survey system with bonuses to go with the pay check, so if even one of the questions doesn't come back completely satisfied, you can kiss your bonus goodbye. I don't know if Audi has a similar deal. If they do, you can bash them with the surveys if they pissed you off.

Yes, almost all dealers have the survey system (many other sales jobs do, as well: AT&T, Verizon, etc).

The thing is with dealers though is that they can circumvent the survey by tricking the system. They can enter the wrong email address with a small typo if they feel like a customer wasn't totally satisfied, and they'll never get the survey. There was a huge study about it and many sales reps admit to this anonymously.

I used to know a lot of sales guys back in NYC. It's how I know their scammy system so well.

Yes, almost all dealers have the survey system (many other sales jobs do, as well: AT&T, Verizon, etc).

The thing is with dealers though is that they can circumvent the survey by tricking the system. They can enter the wrong email address with a small typo if they feel like a customer wasn't totally satisfied, and they'll never get the survey. There was a huge study about it and many sales reps admit to this anonymously.

I used to know a lot of sales guys back in NYC. It's how I know their scammy system so well.

We get screwed over all the time by customers who swears up and down they love us, and the survey returns with very good. It works both ways, but I know plenty of dealerships do scammy things. The best way to do it is don't show that you're unhappy.

BTW, you want to see a 2015 Mustang from the back? We just got one in, fresh from the oven. It's a GT 5.0.

AlphaSnake

We get screwed over all the time by customers who swears up and down they love us, and the survey returns with very good. It works both ways, but I know plenty of dealerships do scammy things. The best way to do it is don't show that you're unhappy.

BTW, you want to see a 2015 Mustang from the back? We just got one in, fresh from the oven. It's a GT 5.0.

I saw one driving around Downtown Disney the other day.

How is very good a bad rating? I rate like it says, and to get a 10/10 a dealership would pretty much have to fellate me while I signed paperwork.

AlphaSnake

How is very good a bad rating? I rate like it says, and to get a 10/10 a dealership would pretty much have to fellate me while I signed paperwork.

That's just the way these surveys work. It's not just dealerships. It's EVERYWHERE a survey is given to you. 1-9 is a failing grade. 10 is the only pass.

My wife used to manage an AT&T. Same story there. They fail if they don't get 10s across the board.

Very good and poor makes no difference. They give you 5 choice, but really there are only 2, you pass and you fail.

If you're ever pissed off midway during the vehicle purchasing process, and it's too late to back out of the deal, keep your cool and act happy. Once the survey comes, give them 9/10 across the board. You can still pretend to be very happy if they call back to kiss your ass.

Top Bottom