• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ameratsu

Typical response here. Sorry I even tried to contribute.

I'm out.
Smoke, u always cool

Remember you well from NBA GAF

I like the FRS, i've defended it before in this thread. I do kinda feel bad about contributing to the insular reputation that community threads have on gaf. On the other hand, the frs 1.0 is a representation of a lot of things I dislike about cars. I mean look at this: http://www.scion.com/cars/release_series/

The release series is basically the commoditization of car modification. It's taking something really interesting and potentially unique done at the hands of enthusiasts and reducing it to special colourways, wheels, and interior lighting.

jaguar-f-type-s-manual-08.JPG

Any one think the new F-Type manual gear stick looks a little... big? And oddly shaped?

LOL.

The price is $30K for a 6MT. And $32K for automatic, which is a downright crime. I think Liquid has an auto since he lives in LA?

Yes it's a factory rice package. Yes he traded the same car in for it. Yes the people at his dealership laughed at him when he traded it in and got the new sameness. Toyota must lovs him.

Typical response here. Sorry I even tried to contribute.

I'm out.
Smoke, u always cool

Remember you well from NBA GAF

I haven't felt this bad for laughing in a good long while.

The FRS is an ok car. I'm kind of ambivalent on it now that I've driven it a few times, but either way, buy what you want and don't let people's opinions get you down. It's your money, do what you want with it.

What the fuck, people?

This is the car guy's thread, and the number one rule of car guys is that you don't make fun of another man's ride.*

If you think somebody bought a dumb car, just don't say anything.

* - It's actually that you don't touch another man's ride, but this is a close second.

I got my FR-S 1.0 finally. I sold my 2013 FR-S. I must say I am impressed, and in love.

I getting a roof spoiler installed on Saturday for free by a guy who wants to take pictures etc....

Ill share some with you all.

Early thoughts:

1) Tthe car seems a lot stiffer in such a good way
2) The dual exhaust makes my heart melt
3) The interior is much nicer than my 2013
4) Its low to the ground I mean low.The TRD spring seemed to have dropped it an inch lower than the standard.

Im going on a long drive this weekend. Ill take pics and share.

Love you all.

Liquid.

Congratulations, that car is nice! I love the yellow! People will always crap on others for no reason.

ascii42

What the fuck, people?

This is the car guy's thread, and the number one rule of car guys is that you don't make fun of another man's ride.*

* - It's actually that you don't touch another man's ride, but this is a close second.
Yeah, I don't get it either. The value proposition of that car doesn't work for me, but it's not my money he's spending.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Any one think the new F-Type manual gear stick looks a little... big? And oddly shaped?

Looks like a normal OEM shifter to me. They can be easily replaced anyways, they're usually just glued on. :p

What the fuck, people?

To be fair, I only commented about the price not the car. It's extremely expensive, imo. I've said all I had to say about the car before. I'm over it.

Besides, plenty of folks used to make fun of 370Zs when I and a number of others had one. :p

No Love

Banned
I like the FRS, i've defended it before in this thread. I do kinda feel bad about contributing to the insular reputation that community threads have on gaf. On the other hand, the frs 1.0 is a representation of a lot of things I dislike about cars. I mean look at this: http://www.scion.com/cars/release_series/

The release series is basically the commoditization of car modification. It's taking something really interesting and potentially unique done at the hands of enthusiasts and reducing it to special colourways, wheels, and interior lighting.

Scion has been all about that since day 1. They love marking up useless shit to young kids.

God damn I want this car so bad. And it'd ONLY be in stick. I gotta have one. Maybe next year. That + C7 Z06 would cover me for "sporty 2 seaters". <3

TylerD

I'm in the like camp on the FR-S 1.0 and see the appeal.

Much rather have something modded from the factory with the warranty covering everything.

Nice car Liquid, hope you do post some pics here.

----

I have a rusted throw out bearing that has to be replaced and water was still sitting in the exhaust system. Wonder if there is a good chance of the o2 sensors and cats being fucked as well? Im going to push for full replacement from manifold back. Hell, why not do the clutch too while their at it?

Have to talk to the shop first thing Monday morning.

paskowitz

What, were they surprised? You start turning your cars into accessories for people with Macbooks, and this is bound to happen.

Yes, they were. Honestly, BMW have become a corporate mess. The operations management bean counters have run out a lot of the enthusiasts because the enthusiasts just can't take the environment anymore. Hopefully this sends a message to BMW that this will not go unnoticed.

The real sad part is that the overall car market is in a way demanding this. People buy these POS cars on BMW's brand name and they are enough of a money making success that they continue to make them.

I am sorry Europe, but right now, America, makes more, better, sports cars than any other place on earth. Sure ours have a few more pounds added on, but we still have the best selection.

Vette, GT350, Z/28, Viper, Hellcat, ATS-V, CTS-V, etc, etc.

AlphaSnake

Have you actually driven an F-Type? I was in love with the V8S, until I actually drove one.

Haha what? And what exactly was the problem?

Was it the incredibly tight convertible chassis? How about the fantastic (and hydraulic!) steering? The mega fast 8-speed? The noise and raucous this car makes? Maybe the speed blinded you? The insanely gorgeous lines that can make you forget about most women?

And that's the convertible.

Take the coupe version and magnify all of the above., because it is that much better and even more powerful.

ascii42

I can't wait to see what the new Camaro is going to look like.

Despite moving to a new platform, looks-wise it's supposedly going to be pretty evolutionary. One thing's for certain, it should drive well, if the ATS is any indication. I'm starting to consider buying a Challenger more and more, but I'm holding out until I can test out the new Camaro before I make the plunge.

Evo X

Haha what? And what exactly was the problem?

Was it the incredibly tight convertible chassis? How about the fantastic (and hydraulic!) steering? The mega fast 8-speed? The noise and raucous this car makes? Maybe the speed blinded you? The insanely gorgeous lines that can make you forget about most women?

And that's the convertible.

Take the coupe version and magnify all of the above., because it is that much better and even more powerful.

Yes, I know it's easy to have a romantic view of the car when you just look at it or see videos of Chris Harris or Jeremy Clarkson drifting it on a racetrack or beautiful roads.

But it is not a car I would ever own, especially considering it's audacious 6 figure price tag. Unwieldy power, overweight, lazy handling, terrible depreciation curve, and shit interior quality and fit/finish for the money.

It certainly has it's pluses. It looks gorgeous and exhaust sounds like the 4th of July. And while the 8 speed is not as good as a dual clutch, it is the best automatic transmission I have ever used. But for me, it came down to the fact that it is not a true driver's car. If I was spending that much money, I would go to the nearest Porsche dealership. Hell, even a C7 Stingray is a much better package overall.

No. And I won't get the V8S. I'd get the F Type R.

The R wasn't available at the time, but I doubt adding even more power and a hardtop will solve most of the underlying issues.

AlphaSnake

Yes, I know it's easy to have a romantic view of the car when you just look at it or see videos of Chris Harris or Jeremy Clarkson drifting it on a racetrack or beautiful roads.

But it is not a car I would ever own, especially considering it's audacious 6 figure price tag. Unwieldy power, overweight, lazy handling, terrible depreciation curve, and shit interior quality and fit/finish for the money.

It certainly has it's pluses. It looks gorgeous and exhaust sounds like the 4th of July. And while the 8 speed is not as good as a dual clutch, it is the best automatic transmission I have ever used. But for me, it came down to the fact that it is not a true driver's car. If I was spending that much money, I would go to the nearest Porsche dealership. Hell, even a C7 Stingray is a much better package overall.

The R wasn't available at the time, but I doubt adding even more power and a hardtop will solve most of the underlying issues.

You seem to have driven a car entirely different than what everyone else has, including myself. Lazy handling? Wot m8? Unwieldy power? Depreciation?

I'm not even going to touch the handling comment, because it's simply wrong. The chassis is stiff as hell. The car is flat through every turn. The front and rear are intertwined, toss the car side to side and both front and rear move at the exact same time. I'm bewildered you said the handling was lazy. LOL

Power. There's nothing unwieldy about it. It can be said about every RWD V8. My M56S has nearly 500HP with its tune and my intake mod, and with the traction off...it can be hairy. Just like any other car with that kind of configuration. It's physics. If anything, it sounds like you've watched too many videos of Chris Harris and others shredding tires drifting it non stop and convinced yourself it's "unwieldy". It's perfectly fine. It has a super quick E-Diff that keeps the car straight and allows you to control the tail around corners. Just like Vipers, Z06s and ZR1s, the Jaguar's power is only as stupid as the driver behind the wheel.

Also, the car is priced perfectly fine. More power and infinitely better looks than a Porsche for $99K. Good luck buying a 911 for $99K. The depreciation argument is worthless, it can be applied to any car north of $75K. It can be applied to an S-Class, A8, XJ, 7-series, etc etc. How does depreciation make a car any worse? Does it change the car in any way dynamically? No. Moving on.

Also, one final LOL at "shit interior quality"? Shit fit and finish? Are you just saying these things for the sake of saying them? Do you know what fit and finish is? There are some plastic materials in the console, but I'll have you know the fit and finish is superb. No rattles. There's a ton of padding between every seam to prevent the edges of each piece from rubbing and creaking. Everything behind the dashboard is insulated, again, to prevent rattling. It's a great interior. Worst of all, you're talking about shit interiors and then mention a Corvette? Seriously, dude? Nothing against the Corvette, but if you think the F-Type interior is shit and has shit fit and finish, the Corvette must be a toxic dump to you. And FWIW, I think the new Vettes have amazing interiors. But you seem to have some sort of unreasonable expectations.

Also, spoiler alert, new Porsche's use a TON of plastics around the entire console area, probably even more than the F-Type, thanks to the copious amounts of buttons all over the center console area. So if you're going to talk about cheapness, fit and finish, and things of that nature, don't throw in two other cars that are just as guilty of it (especially the Corvette).

AlphaSnake

Well, the coupe is 80% stiffer...so there's that little, but extremely considerable tidbit.

And it's noticeable.

But hey, underlying issues and all.

Evo X

Ok man. You seem to love the car and are welcome to buy one. I was just listing the reasons I wouldn't.

I didn't say the car was bad, but I expected more from something that costs $100K.

It just didn't speak to me the way the other cars I compared it to did.

Now before I go on, I want to mention that this particular example was used and had about 9K miles on it, so I am fully open to the possibility that this may just been a bad car.

I've driven cars with a lot of power. That wasn't the issue. This specific one just wasn't able to put the power down. Even with traction control on, it was lighting up the rears at anything more than half throttle. That V8 eclipsed the whole experience. I have years of track driving experience. That wasn't the issue. It was like the car had a mind of it's own and was doing whatever it wanted. The Corvette is also a powerful RWD car, but when I was driving that through some fast twisties, I felt 100% confident and in control.

In regards to interior, the entertainment/satnav looks and functions like something out of 2004. In less than a year, the leather on the seats had worn, along with fading on the gear lever and switches. I think the new Corvette has a fantastic interior and any grievances can be forgiven as it's nearly HALF the price.

Depreciation might not matter to you but it certainly does to me. I switch up vehicles something every year or two. I'd rather not get hosed when I have to resell. You could probably buy an F430 and drive it for two years and lose far less that you would owning an F-Type V8 in that same time frame.

On the topic of handling. It might not be lazy compared to 95% of the cars out there, but drive it back to back with a Cayman GTS, and tell me what you think. The stiffest chassis in the world can't help you when you're up against a mid-engined sports car that weighs 800lbs less. It's simple physics.

You're free to have your own opinion on the car, but don't jump down my throat because I don't share your feelings.

AlphaSnake

Dude, how are you even going to compare a $99K Jaguar to a $240K Ferrari?

Ferrari and its dealer network literally dictates the market value of these pre-owned. There's no comparison.

And the fact that you drove a car with 9K miles with seemingly beat leather tells me a lot about the car. The leather in my 2012 Jaguar XF 5.0 looks mint after 26,000 miles and I don't even have to maintain it. Lord knows how shot the alignment and the car's tires were that it was struggling under half-throttle.

I've test driven the car numerous times, I've had my friend's V8S for a day and an R-Coupe for an afternoon and all of the cars drove just fine.

Dude, how are you even going to compare a $99K Jaguar to a $240K Ferrari?

Ferrari and its dealer network literally dictates the market value of these pre-owned. There's no comparison.

And the fact that you drove a car with 9K miles with seemingly beat leather tells me a lot about the car. The leather in my 2012 Jaguar XF 5.0 looks mint after 26,000 miles and I don't even have to maintain it. Lord knows how shot the alignment and the car's tires were that it was struggling under half-throttle.

I've test driven the car numerous times, I've had my friend's V8S for a day and an R-Coupe for an afternoon and all of the cars drove just fine.

Cars generally behave differently on the limit than at a fun pace.

Depending on your skill levels, one might be pushing the car harder to a point where the other person wouldn't dare. With respect to that disparity, the 2 experiences can be greatly difficult.

Don't know why you got hung up on the Ferrari comment btw. He compared it to a Cayman GTS and C7, both of which I'd comfortably put above the Jag in the handling/laptime department. I'm sure you can find laptime comparisons to back it up also.

AlphaSnake

Cars generally behave differently on the limit than at a fun pace.

Depending on your skill levels, one might be pushing the car harder to a point where the other person wouldn't dare. With respect to that disparity, the 2 experiences can be greatly difficult.

Don't know why you got hung up on the Ferrari comment btw. He compared it to a Cayman GTS and C7, both of which I'd comfortably put above the Jag in the handling/laptime department. I'm sure you can find laptime comparisons to back it up also.

Read his post. He compared the depreciation of an F-Type to an F430. The two aren't comparable at all because of how Ferrari's network is organized.

Also, he said the car he drove with traction on was acting up at only half-throttle. So there were no limits being approached.

Evo X

Why do you keep ignoring my main points only to pick on the smallest detail?

In terms of handling, performance and feel, I only compared the F-Type to the Cayman GTS and Corvette Stingray, both which cost less and undeniably provide a truer and more dynamic driving experience.

The only reason I brought up the F430 was to drive home the point on depreciation.

There's a reason I didn't say 458. I specifically mentioned the 430 is because you can pick up a clean low mileage one for ~$120K, not far from a V8 Jag with a few options. In two years, the Ferrari would lose maybe $10-15K in value vs the Jag which will easily lose $30-40K

I don't give a fuck about initial price or dealer network. Since I switch vehicles so often, I usually buy used so I can keep flipping to something different without going bankrupt. The fact stands that it would cost me less to drive a Ferrari(or an Audi R8 V10 like our brothers for the matter) for the next two years than to drive a Jaguar. I don't know about you, but I certainly know which one I would go for. Don't know why you're getting pissed. I'm not speaking universally for everyone, just my opinion on what I consider to be the best for ME in my specific situation and needs.

You obviously have a strong bias for the Jaguar brand. That much is apparent from your choice of vehicle to the content of the OP. Don't let that get in the way of discussion. We all have different preferences and things we look for in cars. It's OK to disagree.

Malvingt2

Currently driving a Mitsubishi ASX3 (Outlander Sport I think its called in America). will be driving it for another 18 months but really taken by this beauty:

exploring_gallery_2.jpg

In my job I need a 4x4 in case of bad weather or I need to go through a field, and I am taken with this.

The only problem is the boot space as I have one child with hopefully another planned for the time I get a new car, so it needs to have a boot big enough for a pram, travel cot and luggage:

425354_7625_big_Jeep_RENGADE_017.jpg

Seems quite narrow. I'm in the UK, wondering if the boot space may make the car a no go

I am keeping an eye on this but Jeep track record with the new transmission is an issue. Reason why I am keeping myself away from Jeep Cherokee

paskowitz

Motor Trend Z06 first drive

epzbitu7rguccporxvbz.gif

Road and Track Impressions

Add all that up, and you have a machine that some of the Corvette faithful see as too tech-heavy, a ZR1 with the wrong badge. GM simply insists that the model had to evolve in order to meet customer demand. (A lot of people wanted an automatic Z06 or a ZR1 convertible, apparently, and a lot fewer wanted a hard-core track special.)

Honestly, the Z06 is dead. It is now just a ZR1. Amazing numbers be damned.

AlphaSnake

Why do you keep ignoring my main points only to pick on the smallest detail?

In terms of handling, performance and feel, I only compared the F-Type to the Cayman GTS and Corvette Stingray, both which cost less and undeniably provide a truer and more dynamic driving experience.

The only reason I brought up the F430 was to drive home the point on depreciation.

There's a reason I didn't say 458. I specifically mentioned the 430 is because you can pick up a clean low mileage one for ~$120K, not far from a V8 Jag with a few options. In two years, the Ferrari would lose maybe $10-15K in value vs the Jag which will easily lose $30-40K

I don't give a fuck about initial price or dealer network. Since I switch vehicles so often, I usually buy used so I can keep flipping to something different without going bankrupt. The fact stands that it would cost me less to drive a Ferrari(or an Audi R8 V10 like our brothers for the matter) for the next two years than to drive a Jaguar. I don't know about you, but I certainly know which one I would go for. Don't know why you're getting pissed. I'm not speaking universally for everyone, just my opinion on what I consider to be the best for ME in my specific situation and needs.

You obviously have a strong bias for the Jaguar brand. That much is apparent from your choice of vehicle to the content of the OP. Don't let that get in the way of discussion. We all have different preferences and things we look for in cars. It's OK to disagree.

I initially poked holes in all of your arguments. And then you sort of went and backpedaled with a "used car" statement that you bolded and I accepted that and agreed that you probably drove a car with some abuse on it. So how am I harping on small details? I covered all details you brought up and countered your arguments. Also, I'm not mad. You're actually the one cursing. I'm just laughing at what you write.

Once again, your argument of buying a Ferrari vs an F-Type is just silly. You're comparing used and new, for starters. You're comparing a high-end, low volume, marquee, bespoke supercar versus a mass production supercar made out of the same gear as all other Jaguars and Land Rovers, made to appeal to the masses with a $60K base price tag. This is about as apples-to-oranges as a comparison can get when it comes to depreciation. If you had compared the depreciation of a Jaguar to that of a 911, I wouldn't have even bothered because 911s depreciate extremely well. But you reached for a spectrum of cars that's practically on a different planet.

And you're not buying a $120K F430 unless it has a load of miles on it or something genuinely wrong that's being hidden. Right now the average price of one is $150K within a 500 mile radius of me in Florida. $120K examples have 25K+ miles on them, which is NOT low mileage for a Ferrari. And you get no warranty, so you're going to lose a ton of money on maintaining one at the dealership - which is the only place you should be working on a Ferrari, otherwise it depreciates like a tank when the next owner asks to see the paper work and history.

I have a strong bias for a lot of brands. Because I love cars in general. My choice of vehicles have been tremendously vast over the past few years, BMWs, Zs, Audis, Jaguar XF, Infiniti M56, and soon even a Mercedes. It's not bias. It's appreciation. I go out and buy all sorts of different cars. Just because I own a Jaguar now doesn't mean I wouldn't be defending an F-Type even if I didn't. And when I read comments from someone shitting on a car's interior and cheapness and then mentioning a Corvette in that same breadth, talking about half-throttle traction issues...I start to question if this person is even legitimately credible about what he's saying...in other words, if you even drove the car. Yes, I'm insinuating...so color me skeptical.

No the F-Type isn't God's gift. Yes there are cars I'd have over one. Yes there are better cars. But not for the reasons you mentioned.

AlphaSnake

Dont mind Alpha guys. He's a Knicks fan and his expertise in spin comes from that.

You're mad at me for calling Rockets commentators homers, like everyone else does. I've come to terms that the Knicks will never see a championship in my lifetime a long time ago. All I'm left to do now is hope they at least make the playoffs...which is not looking good.

Rockets fans need to accept the same sort of mentality. You're not chipping with your current coach and management. Dwight is not your savior. He's no Hakeem and he's no Yao. Lord knows Harden isn't saving you guys, either.

:D

Malvingt2

Guys question: as you might remember I got my first "own" car this year: I got it with high PDR %10.00 because of my credit score. Fast forward now. After paying on time all my bills my credit score went up by 110 points, I am at 720 now and I am getting a couple of letters about re finance my car. Should I do this? will this affect me in any way? credit score wise? the car in question is a Honda Crv 2005 "59012" miles.

Also I got a letter from a Nissan dealer in New York and another from a place that I have no idea who they are.

AlphaSnake

Guys question: as you might remember I got my first "own" car this year: I got it with high PDR %10.00 because of my credit score. Fast forward now. After paying on time all my bills my credit score went up by 110 points, I am at 720 now and I am getting a couple of letters about re finance my car. Should I do this? will this affect me in any way? credit score wise? the car in question is a Honda Crv 2005 "59012" miles.

Also I got a letter from a Nissan dealer in New York and another from a place that I have no idea who they are.

That's an extremely high interest rate. How much will it be after a refinance? And how long have you had the car in total? Also, the only way to tell if it's worth it is to take your current remaining balance payoff and compare it to what your new payoff will be refinanced.

So as of today, if you owe, say, 20K with interest, and after refinance it'll be 19K...then it makes sense to refinance immediately.

Anybody here own or have informed opinions on the BMW 540i M Sport (1999-2003)?

Get the facelifted 2002-2003 models with CCFL tails and standard xenons. They're vastly improved over the earlier 540s which had some issues, and they're also less prone to intake manifold troubles that a lot of BMWs are notorious for. Parts are plenty, car is decently quick, handles well, and still looks great.

Malvingt2

That's an extremely high interest rate. How much will it be after a refinance? And how long have you had the car in total? Also, the only way to tell if it's worth it is to take your current remaining balance payoff and compare it to what your new payoff will be refinanced.

So as of today, if you owe, say, 20K with interest, and after refinance it'll be 19K...then it makes sense to refinance immediately.

I see...

this what credit karma is telling me too

Refinance Your Auto Loan and Save up to $2,016 a Year.
Because: You appear to be overpaying for your ALLY FINCL auto loan.

Auto Loan: ALLY FINCL

Balance:$11,458
Remaining Term:41
Current APR:10.29%
Monthly Payment: $325

also the other places are offering me a %3.8 to %4.0 PDR.

I have the car since April....

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
It's official: when my Fiat 500 is paid off and/or I follow my dream and get a government job in the DC area (long story), I'm going to get an EcoBoost Mustang. It just seems like the perfect balance between performance and efficiency.

Gritesh

Ok car gaf looking for a new car in the spring needs to be awd needs to be fun.

Still trying to decide between the cla45 amg or the subaru sti.

Let's hear some opinions!

Ps. Open to suggestions but I need a sedan and it will be winter driven in the Canadian prairies

AlphaSnake

I see...

this what credit karma is telling me too

also the other places are offering me a %3.8 to %4.0 PDR.

I have the car since April....

April's not that long of a time. 7 months you've made over $2K in payments. If the refinanced amount is less than what you owe now...go for it. Just remember, you'll lose the 7 months of time you've spent paying the car. So you'll be back at your original term of 48 months.

Smokey

You're mad at me for calling Rockets commentators homers, like everyone else does. I've come to terms that the Knicks will never see a championship in my lifetime a long time ago. All I'm left to do now is hope they at least make the playoffs...which is not looking good.

Rockets fans need to accept the same sort of mentality. You're not chipping with your current coach and management. Dwight is not your savior. He's no Hakeem and he's no Yao. Lord knows Harden isn't saving you guys, either.

:D

Lol

You gon get this work today

Malvingt2

April's not that long of a time. 7 months you've made over $2K in payments. If the refinanced amount is less than what you owe now...go for it. Just remember, you'll lose the 7 months of time you've spent paying the car. So you'll be back at your original term of 48 months.

Thanks for the info... very helpful

Motor Trend Z06 first drive

epzbitu7rguccporxvbz.gif

Road and Track Impressions

Honestly, the Z06 is dead. It is now just a ZR1. Amazing numbers be damned.

It's quite the video--the motor sounds fantastic and I was pretty impressed with the numbers. I think a lot of that's down to the tires--they don't look like what I'd call streetable--but 1.16g on the skidpad is straight absurd for a production car.

Edit: Oh, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, same as on the 918. Corvettes have always been able to pull some silly skidpad numbers but 1.16, hot damn.

Top Bottom