• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ascii42

american car companies really need to work on better interiors.
Outside of CUE, which I'm not fond of, I thought the ATS was pretty nice when I drove one. Except the piano black. Sure, it looks nice, until you actually touch it. Then again, my only reasonably modern car is a 2010 Malibu, so it should seem nice to me.

Didn't perceive much of a material quality difference between it and it's competitors, though, but I've merely sat in those at auto shows.

I likkkeee

I like it. I think the front end is a little too "Call of Duty! GRRRR!!!!" but all in all it's a handsome car. I saw a whole mess of ATS coupes in person and the base model styling is very handsome so I think this will look even better.

american car companies really need to work on better interiors.

Indeed they do.

Plasticy shiny shit is still shit.

Cadillac's interiors are actually quite nice. I rented an ATS sedan a couple of years ago and it was a very nice place to be.

So my new F150's steering wheel is a few degrees off center to the right. Took it in for service, this is what they did to apparently fix it:

So it's still off center any suggestions as to what I can tell them differently the next time?

So they messed with the alignment but the car still has the problem? It might be that the wheel being off center is just within acceptable tolerances. Which is shitty. Ask them to do it again or go to another dealership, as it should still be under warranty.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Cadillac ATS-V revealed, and it looks as you'd expect. Road&Track says the TTV6 is good for 450 hp and 445 lb-ft of torque, and weighs 3600 lbs. Appears to have a 6 speed manual in the interior shot.
001Cadillac-ATS-V-lg.jpg

002Cadillac-ATS-V-lg.jpg

dk7od8kyfqr4c1y5femm.jpg

nnbl3xyxbsqbz68zxlwv.jpg

Not sure about the chrome strip, and other elements of the front end. but I'll withhold judgment until I see it in person. GM's media pictures always suck. Probably could look pretty mean in black.

It's not bad and I bet the performance will probably be preferred over the M4 to many. But look's wise, this car is the automotive equivalent to the "sharp knees" complaint.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I've seen a 2015 Mustang in person today. I'm starting to come around to the design, especially in that Guard color, a dark green-ish color.

I've seen a 2015 Mustang in person today. I'm starting to come around to the design, especially in that Guard color, a dark green-ish color.

Drove past a gray one in the garage today. Looked pretty good, but I already thought it was the best looking Mustang to date. Then again, I'm weird and don't like very many older cars.

torontoml

So they messed with the alignment but the car still has the problem? It might be that the wheel being off center is just within acceptable tolerances. Which is shitty. Ask them to do it again or go to another dealership, as it should still be under warranty.
Isn't another dealership for like a few hundred KMs. Will be putting it in again with this one though. It is under warranty for another 5 months or 18k Km.

Repgnar

Is it alright if I ask a question about buying a vehicle in the future? I'm currently in tech school for the military and won't be operational until this time next year. I'm saving money and looking forward to when I get to my first base. Is there a goal I should set so when I get there I can start shopping around? For instance, would building my non-existent credit right now be a good idea? I'm sitting on some money and plan on only saving up more until I get there. Not looking for specific 'What car should I buy?' things but more general help. As of right now nothing is set in stone but I have heard more than enough horror stories of newer members making really bad financial decisions when they get in and i'm doing my best to avoid those things.

Is it alright if I ask a question about buying a vehicle in the future? I'm currently in tech school for the military and won't be operational until this time next year. I'm saving money and looking forward to when I get to my first base. Is there a goal I should set so when I get there I can start shopping around? For instance, would building my non-existent credit right now be a good idea? I'm sitting on some money and plan on only saving up more until I get there. Not looking for specific 'What car should I buy?' things but more general help. As of right now nothing is set in stone but I have heard more than enough horror stories of newer members making really bad financial decisions when they get in and i'm doing my best to avoid those things.

Build your credit now. Start making your purchases on credit but treat it as debit. A car will build credit but getting a loan on one without prior credit is very difficult and you'll get a bad rate.

If you'll need a car when you get on base and it's not just a luxury, get a lightly used economy car with a CPO (certified pre-owned warranty). If you don't need a car don't get one, simple as that.

ShowDog

Well, I finally got a Flashpro for my S2000 and I'm getting an etune. Now I have to figure out how to load a bunch of tuning profiles to the engine while driving around so I can datalog a bunch of different scenarios to send to the tuner. It shouldn't be too hard, but the software is certainly intimidating, so here's to hoping I don't fuck anything up!

1. Always allow your local indie banks and credit unions to engage in a bidding war against the dealership for the best rate, if you do decide to take a loan out.

2. Don't take a loan out, unless you're rolling in cash, can get a stupid good interest rate/deal, or plan to use the expenses as a write-off for tax purposes or to further build credit. Otherwise, you should really look to the private market and pay with cash.

3. Read up on what stealerships do to try to fuck you over: the four-square, monthly payments, etc.

4. I recommend saving up at least $5,000 if you're just looking for an A-B vehicle. $10,000~ will put you in a nice used vehicle. $20,000 will put you in a fantastic used vehicle.

Ask us more specific questions and we'll be able to help you out more regarding what region of the country you'll be buying in, specific model questions, drivetrains, fuel economy, etc.

Chocobro

I figured this would be a good place with to ask this question: which company would you guys recommend for automotive transport? My dad is planning to give me his car to ship from NYC to Idaho to use while I'm there for eight months.

Follow-up question: is it safe to put my PC and other belongings in the car to have it transported as well? I'm slightly concerned about theft.

Dosia

Drove past a gray one in the garage today. Looked pretty good, but I already thought it was the best looking Mustang to date. Then again, I'm weird and don't like very many older cars.

I just saw a GT with PP out at my dealership today and damn near bought it on the spot. I checked myself though and will wait until the 16's come out next year. Salesman was pushing hard for me to test drive it, but I knew if I did it would be hard to get back into my 98 accord.

I figured this would be a good place with to ask this question: which company would you guys recommend for automotive transport? My dad is planning to give me his car to ship from NYC to Idaho to use while I'm there for eight months.

Follow-up question: is it safe to put my PC and other belongings in the car to have it transported as well? I'm slightly concerned about theft.

Find a bunch online, call them up and get quotes. All the companies do is find drivers, who work independently. You never know if you'll get a good guy or not, just do a good inspection before and after.

And oh man no. No no no. Absolutely don't leave anything in your car are you fucking crazy?

Evo X

My brother just took delivery of his new car and sent me a pic.

V10, black on black, 6 speed manual, with carbon blades, interior, and engine bay.

I'm really happy for him, but secretly a little jelly too because that's the exact same car I want.

Also, I think that's just where the truck dropped off the car. He doesn't have a habit of parking like a dick in handicap spots. lol

jCYOQ2z.jpg

Lizardus

V10, black on black, 6 speed manual, with carbon blades, interior, and engine bay.

I'm really happy for him, but secretly a little jelly too because that's the exact same car I want.

Also, I think that's just where the truck dropped off the car. He doesn't have a habit of parking like a dick in handicap spots. lol

jCYOQ2z.jpg

Nice car!

Didn't know they still offered in 6MT. Thought all new ones were DCT. Is it a gated shifter? those things feel so great.

Evo X

Nice car!

Didn't know they still offered in 6MT. Thought all new ones were DCT. Is it a gated shifter? those things feel so great.

Yes, gated shifter. One of the last supercars to offer a 6 speed manual, along with one of the last N/A high revving motors. Most are going turbo DCT now sadly, which is good for efficiency I suppose, but not for fun.

AlphaSnake

jCYOQ2z.jpg

Very nice. My brother has the same car, except in white with CF blades.

Out of curiousity, can you share why you want to get rid of the GT-R?

Had the gt-r for a few years now. Unbeatable performance but I don't really drive the car and push it's performance much. Also, not the biggest fan of the look, seriously if it didn't have the performance people will think it's ugly.

Reason I want the R8 or the G is due to the more exotic characteristic.

I had an nsx, and even that car felt more exotic than the gt-r. Even though it's pretty slow, the way it drive it felt pretty special.

AlphaSnake

Had the gt-r for a few years now. Unbeatable performance but I don't really drive the car and push it's performance much. Also, not the biggest fan of the look, seriously if it didn't have the performance people will think it's ugly.

I had an nsx, and even that car felt more exotic than the gt-r. Even though it's pretty slow, the way it drive it felt pretty special.

G?

Evo X

It seems like the R8 would really suit you. I wrote off the Gallardo. 2004-2008 have aged terribly and the e-gear transmission sucks. 2009+ LP Gallardos are nice, but not worth the $40K premium you'd pay for it over a comparable R8 V10 unless all you care about is the badge.

If want an Italian exotic, I'd skip the G and go for a 458. It's one of the best cars I have ever driven, but also has the sticker price to match.

Toss the C6 Z06 out as well, because it's going to be your GTR situation over again. It's not exotic or particularly good looking. Just crazy performance that you are never going to use on the street.

It seems like the R8 would really suit you. I wrote off the Gallardo. 2004-2008 have aged terribly and the e-gear transmission sucks. 2009+ LP Gallardos are nice, but not worth the $40K premium you'd pay for it over a comparable R8 V10 unless all you care about is the badge.

If want an Italian exotic, I'd skip the G and go for a 458. It's one of the best cars I have ever driven, but also has the sticker price to match.

Toss the C6 Z06 out as well, because it's going to be your GTR situation over again. It's not exotic or particularly good looking. Just crazy performance that you are never going to use on the street.

I ain't a baller so no 458..

What you guys opinion on the v8 R8 vs v10 R8..

When I drove both I didn't feel much performance difference..but the sound of the V8 awesome..

Evo X

When I drove both I didn't feel much performance difference..but the sound of the V8 awesome..

I personally would not buy the V8. The V10 Lambo motor is out of this world and befitting of a supercar. Also, it's not like the V8 is much cheaper either. V10s depreciate more, so comparable year and mileage, buying the V8 will save you maybe $10-15K max, which isn't much when you're already spending $100K+.

AlphaSnake

Wtf? The difference between both is massive and it can be felt instantly.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
New Shelby Mustang unveiled. 500+ HP flat plane crank naturally aspirated V8. Magnetic shocks. Brembos all around. A street-legal trackday toy. That is all.

wldbgixxo3x11ip1vtsq.jpg

The Camaro Z/28 has been put on notice.

Bandit1

New Shelby Mustang unveiled. 500+ HP flat plane crank naturally aspirated V8. Magnetic shocks. Brembos all around. A street-legal trackday toy. That is all.

wldbgixxo3x11ip1vtsq.jpg

That'll make a nice comparison test. Z/28 vs GT350. Each 500+ horsepower track-oriented machines. I'm glad to see this car is naturally aspirated. We'll probably see a supercharged GT500 in the future.

Wtf? The difference between both is massive and it can be felt instantly.

The GT-R speed spoiled =(
So they both felt slow.

But like I said, I just want something different from the GT-R something more of a looker and exotic.

The price range of the v10 r8 is in the G category....and I would rather have that.

Smokey

wldbgixxo3x11ip1vtsq.jpg

Looks raw as fuck from this angle.

The GT-R speed spoiled =(
So they both felt slow.

But like I said, I just want something different from the GT-R something more of a looker and exotic.

The price range of the v10 r8 is in the G category....and I would rather have that.

Legit first world problems :(

Smokey

That feel when you come off of $280 for a battery change. This was actually the cheapest I could find. One shop literally next door to my house charged $450. I called the dealer just to see what they would say and they told me $570.

Kept looking online and found a BMW/performance shop that quoted me $280. Included labor, battery, and reprogramming. Took about a hour and that was that. Don't think I was gonna get a much lower price.

Top Bottom