• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Smokey

Motor Trend Z06 first drive

epzbitu7rguccporxvbz.gif

Road and Track Impressions

Honestly, the Z06 is dead. It is now just a ZR1. Amazing numbers be damned.

Umm

Holy fuck

;____;

Y'know, impressive as it is, I could never own a corvette. I'm weird when it comes to seating positions (and my friend whose C6 I drove laughed at me for it), but I cannot stand the seating position in corvettes. I've driven a C4, a C6, and sat in a C7 and each time I've thought "Well this sucks, I feel totally disconnected from the car and can't see anything."

Too far back and too low relative to the hood, and I've spent too much time in 911s where you're close to the front and the hood is very low.

It's frustrating, too, because I do contract work for GM so it'd be nice to have one and I could get a good deal but...just can't do it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Y'know, impressive as it is, I could never own a corvette. I'm weird when it comes to seating positions (and my friend whose C6 I drove laughed at me for it), but I cannot stand the seating position in corvettes. I've driven a C4, a C6, and sat in a C7 and each time I've thought "Well this sucks, I feel totally disconnected from the car and can't see anything."

Too far back and too low relative to the hood, and I've spent too much time in 911s where you're close to the front and the hood is very low.

It's frustrating, too, because I do contract work for GM so it'd be nice to have one and I could get a good deal but...just can't do it.

There is something odd about Corvette seating, it's true. And if you try to adjust your seat, your head is touching the roof AND you look and feel like a moron driving the car, because you're sitting above the steering wheel. It's bizarre. But the long hood is a design trait of the car.

You do eventually get used to it, though. The first Vette I ever drove was a C6 ages ago when they first came out. Now my neighbor has a 2012 C6 Gran Sport, and when he's back home in Canada he asks me to start it up and drive it around for a bit. By the 3rd or 4th time, you just get used to the long hood and odd perspective from within.

paskowitz

You are not the only one. I am 6'3'' and I can never get a good position. I have always found M3s to have perfect driving positions (comfort and vision).

Ok car gaf looking for a new car in the spring needs to be awd needs to be fun.

Still trying to decide between the cla45 amg or the subaru sti.

Let's hear some opinions!

Ps. Open to suggestions but I need a sedan and it will be winter driven in the Canadian prairies

New, I guess? I'm gonna assume your price range tops out at 50k due to the CLA45.

I'd think I'd get a M235i xDrive if I was shopping for something new.

Gritesh

New, I guess? I'm gonna assume your price range tops out at 50k due to the CLA45.

I'd think I'd get a M235i xDrive if I was shopping for something new.

I'd love to get a coupe but the wife will not allow it, we have a kid now so she strictly will only allow for a sedan but I want a sport orientated car.

Canadian here too so the sti is 49k and the cla45 is 62k the way I want it.

Kinda happy around the 55k mark in Canadian market so I guess close to 50k in the us market.

I'd love to get a coupe but the wife will not allow it, we have a kid now so she strictly will only allow for a sedan but I want a sport orientated car.

Canadian here too so the sti is 49k and the cla45 is 62k the way I want it.

Kinda happy around the 55k mark in Canadian market so I guess close to 50k in the us market.

Child seats fit in the back of 911s.

Just saying.

It's quite the video--the motor sounds fantastic and I was pretty impressed with the numbers. I think a lot of that's down to the tires--they don't look like what I'd call streetable--but 1.16g on the skidpad is straight absurd for a production car.

Edit: Oh, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, same as on the 918. Corvettes have always been able to pull some silly skidpad numbers but 1.16, hot damn.

That chassis is so nice, by far the best part of that car.

Child seats fit in the back of 911s.

Just saying.

Sounds like child abuse.

AlphaSnake

The Z06 is just a slayer. 127MPH through a 1/4. 125MPH for the 6MT.

I'll sacrifice the little bit of time and take the 6MT, especially since I've always been told the new ones are extremely smooth.

Keeping my C6Z for another 2 years and then C7Z. Should benefit from a couple of years of additional tweaking, esp on the electronics.

From all reviews, it's such an amazing car. Can't wait to see what Randy does with it at Laguna.

Curious to see what Porsche can deliver with the GT3 RS even if it is twice the price. Maybe they'll keep the price reason to avoid people stepping upto 458 territory.

I plan to run my C6Z with Sport Cup 2's next year so when I do get a C7 Z07, it'll be an apples to apples track comparison with same exact tire model and sizes. Going to be too much fun!

Regardless of how nice the Auto transmission is on the C7Z, I'll stick with the manual until they can deliver a true DCT.

Sounds like child abuse.

Maybe, but the kids would freaking love it!

I am too old for this. I don't know if I will ever be ale to drive a 7 MT without constantly worrying about a money shift.

There are lockouts. If you've driven a 6MT with reverse on the right (Porsche, VW, some others), 7th gear is above reverse and you can't push it in there until you're in 5th gear. Otherwise 1-6 are unchanged.

There are lockouts. If you've driven a 6MT with reverse on the right (Porsche, VW, some others), 7th gear is above reverse and you can't push it in there until you're in 5th gear. Otherwise 1-6 are unchanged.

What about when shifting down from 7? Does 4th have a lockout (like how some transmissions don't let you go into first above a certain speed?)

Ty4on

What about when shifting down from 7? Does 4th have a lockout (like how some transmissions don't let you go into first above a certain speed?)

Sixth should be fairly easy to feel. I dunno about you, but the only gearboxes I have missed shifts in are crappy five speeds with no feel. I drove my instructor's car with reverse in bottom right for a long time without knowing it was a six speed and never missed fourth or reverse.

I haven't done it but I bet it's not too difficult. Let the shifter return to its neutral position then go down to 4th. I imagine the spring loading still puts the neutral position back to the 3/4 slot.

I've only heard good things about the 7MTs. Well, not exactly good, only "it works fine".

Smokey

Would learn to love how to drive manual. I don't know anybody with a manual car :(. I did try and tech myself on gran turismo with a G27 lol

I haven't done it but I bet it's not too difficult. Let the shifter return to its neutral position then go down to 4th. I imagine the spring loading still puts the neutral position back to the 3/4 slot.

I've only heard good things about the 7MTs. Well, not exactly good, only "it works fine".

Yeah, shouldn't be too difficult. I was just having trouble wrapping my head around which gate the the neutral position would be located. 3/4 does make sense.

Would learn to love how to drive manual. I don't know anybody with a manual cat :(. I did try and tech myself on gran turismo with a G27 lol

The most important thing about learning to drive a manual cat is that they have to be properly fed and disciplined. An undisciplined cat will respond unpredictably to driver inputs.

Oh, a car. Okay.

The most important thing about driving a manual is knowing when to use the clutch, the rest is just practice. If you know cars and how they operate you'll have no problem learning, just a matter of practice to do it smoothly. When I've tried to teach some people, the hardest part has been teaching them to know when to use the clutch; true beginners will stall the car coming to a stop, clutch when coasting, not clutch when shifting out, forget to clutch, etc., it's a nightmare.

Would learn to love how to drive manual. I don't know anybody with a manual cat :(. I did try and tech myself on gran turismo with a G27 lol

True story.

I leaned how to drive a manual in my buddy's ford bronco the night before picking up a c5 back in 1999.

I had to drive home from the dealer about 1.5 hrs away and figure it out. Stalled a few times when I was at a steep hill. My buddy got me past that point by switching seats and then I got pissed and made sure to never stall it again. Still a pretty crazy memory thinking back.

Go rent a manual for a few days. It's not hard. Clutch feel is really all you need to learn. Rest becomes muscle memory quickly.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Would learn to love how to drive manual. I don't know anybody with a manual car :(. I did try and tech myself on gran turismo with a G27 lol

You're in LA aren't you? I'd imagine it would suck to drive around there with a manual.

Rukus' idea is good though. Renting a manual for a bit could be enough to get familiar with driving a manual. It really doesn't take long.

AlphaSnake

I am too old for this. I don't know if I will ever be ale to drive a 7 MT without constantly worrying about a money shift.

4th gear top speed is close to 130MPH. So you'd have to be going 130 in 7th to money shift.

Some of the reviews did complain they went from 4-7 a number of times during hard driving in the 7MT(!). So it seems like it could be an easy mistake to make and will require familiarizing yourself with the car.

Bruh...seriously? Gran Turismo won't help much because the clutch pedal on the G27 is an on/off switch with no slip or catch. It's an extremely poor representation of the actual thing and the variability between every car in clutch feel and presence.

Me personally, I only drove MTs a handful of times on other cars and didn't have a whole lot of daily experience. But felt confident enough to blow $40K on a new 370Z back in 2010 and just get used to it. And that I did. But I also should've listened to the experienced folk who told me Zs have some of the most difficult and annoying clutches. LOL. It took me a little time to get perfectly smooth driving my old car, which is normal as you figure out how it likes to be shifted...but I never stalled it after the 1st time I took it out of the garage by myself (I had my friend drive it back home for me from the dealer in NYC traffic). It sat in the garage for 2 weeks (thanks to back to back December snowstorms) and then I finally took it out around 1AM one day alone. What a glorious feeling that was.

Does anyone have any opinions on the genesis 2.0t MY2014? Looking for a GT car and I enjoyed the test drive well enough (though they only had automatics in stock, and I want a manual). They are at great prices right now. Looking for reliability impressions, and shift feel. Any other impressions would be great too.

Some of the reviews did complain they went from 4-7 a number of times during hard driving in the 7MT(!). So it seems like it could be an easy mistake to make and will require familiarizing yourself with the car.

Hm... Specific to the Corvette? I was talking to a dealer with a 991 at a track day a while back who said they had an electronic lockout such that you could only get into 7th if you were already in 6th (and maybe 5th? can't remember).

Bruh...seriously? Gran Turismo won't help much because the clutch pedal on the G27 is an on/off switch with no slip or catch. It's an extremely poor representation of the actual thing and the variability between every car in clutch feel and presence.

Well he won't be smooth at shifting, but he at least knows he's supposed to shift. I tried to teach one friend of mine back in highschool who managed to stall the car twice just by coming to a stop and not putting the clutch in. If you care about cars at all and know how they work you're 90% of the way to driving a manual. I was 14 the first time I drove a manual and I think I upset my mom because I blipped the throttle on a downshift before she could say how to do it (and she didn't understand rev matching, sorry mom).

AlphaSnake

Does anyone have any opinions on the genesis 2.0t MY2014? Looking for a GT car and I enjoyed the test drive well enough (though they only had automatics in stock, and I want a manual). They are at great prices right now. Looking for reliability impressions, and shift feel. Any other impressions would be great too.

My best bud had one. It's nice. Clutch is soft and easy to manage, but could use refinement and feedback. Shifter is decent, throws aren't very long, shifter height is acceptable, but it could be more precise and perhaps have a bit more weight.

What kind of MTs are you used to driving typically? I can tell you how it compares to them. The closest comparison of the Genesis' MT I can draw in feel would be probably the Audi A5/S5. More soft, as opposed to sport like a Z, Vette, or S2000.

AlphaSnake

Hm... Specific to the Corvette? I was talking to a dealer with a 991 at a track day a while back who said they had an electronic lockout such that you could only get into 7th if you were already in 6th (and maybe 5th? can't remember).

Well he won't be smooth at shifting, but he at least knows he's supposed to shift. I tried to teach one friend of mine back in highschool who managed to stall the car twice just by coming to a stop and not putting the clutch in. If you care about cars at all and know how they work you're 90% of the way to driving a manual. I was 14 the first time I drove a manual and I think I upset my mom because I blipped the throttle on a downshift before she could say how to do it (and she didn't understand rev matching, sorry mom).

Yeah, specific to the Corvette. There won't be a lockout for a shift like that because it's not harmful. And GM (even Porsche) say it's okay to skip gears on their 7-speed manuals while upshifting, as long as you're not going from 1st to 7th. 1st to 2nd are mandatory.

But I agree, if you're playing Gran Turismo then you've already got a passion for cars and understand the entire idea behind shifting a transmission, how, when, and why. That's more than half the battle. Fortunately, some cars make it easy to learn (Mini Coopers and Hondas, especially), others are a massive asshole (Evos and Zs).

So Smokey, try to find someone who teach you on a Mini Cooper. I drove a drunk friend's Cooper S last year, and easing off the clutch literally feel like you're releasing the brake on an automatic - the car just starts rolling forward. It's EXTREMELY forgiving and has a wide friction/slip point.

TylerD

I learned to drive a manual when I was 15.5 on my 1988 944. Dad took me to a big parking lot and I stalled it a couple of times before getting the feeling down and finding the right amount of throttle to apply and the bite point.

Then, he had me drive us over to the most severe hill with a stop sign at the top in town. He showed me how to start on a hill and using the handbrake to hold the car to prevent rolling backwards. Burned a little bit of clutch. I'll never forget that smell and had to wave by a couple of vehicles that came up behind us when I got really nervous and frustrated.

He always said that everyone should be familiar with driving a manual because it opens the door for driving a lot of fun cars when the opportunities come up.

It takes a bit of touch to start off smoothly in my 330ci but the clutch and shift weight with the knob that comes on the ZHP are really nice. The throws could be shorter and 4th to 5th is a bit of a reach but I really like it. I'll have a brand new clutch to enjoy when I get my car back. Thanks insurance, you fuckers. I would guess total parts cost + labor is going to be close to 10K, for my $495 deductible.

Smokey

The most important thing about driving a manual is knowing when to use the clutch, the rest is just practice. If you know cars and how they operate you'll have no problem learning, just a matter of practice to do it smoothly. When I've tried to teach some people, the hardest part has been teaching them to know when to use the clutch; true beginners will stall the car coming to a stop, clutch when coasting, not clutch when shifting out, forget to clutch, etc., it's a nightmare.

True story.

I leaned how to drive a manual in my buddy's ford bronco the night before picking up a c5 back in 1999.

I had to drive home from the dealer about 1.5 hrs away and figure it out. Stalled a few times when I was at a steep hill. My buddy got me past that point by switching seats and then I got pissed and made sure to never stall it again. Still a pretty crazy memory thinking back.

Go rent a manual for a few days. It's not hard. Clutch feel is really all you need to learn. Rest becomes muscle memory quickly.

You're in LA aren't you? I'd imagine it would suck to drive around there with a manual.

Rukus' idea is good though. Renting a manual for a bit could be enough to get familiar with driving a manual. It really doesn't take long.

That's actually a good idea. I've heard it's not that bad you just have to you know...practice. I am in Houston granadier.

Me personally, I only drove MTs a handful of times on other cars and didn't have a whole lot of daily experience. But felt confident enough to blow $40K on a new 370Z back in 2010 and just get used to it. And that I did. But I also should've listened to the experienced folk who told me Zs have some of the most difficult and annoying clutches. LOL. It took me a little time to get perfectly smooth driving my old car, which is normal as you figure out how it likes to be shifted...but I never stalled it after the 1st time I took it out of the garage by myself (I had my friend drive it back home for me from the dealer in NYC traffic). It sat in the garage for 2 weeks (thanks to back to back December snowstorms) and then I finally took it out around 1AM one day alone. What a glorious feeling that was.

Srs

I literally dont know ANYBODY with a manual. So I thought the g27 setup would be the next best thing lol. I would like my next car to be more performance oriented and a manual, but ain't no way I'm dropping 60k plus having never driven one before. Dont think it's a good idea to try and learn on something like a vette or M4 either :x

Evo X

Dont think it's a good idea to try and learn on something like a vette or M4 either :x

I learned how to drive stick on my new E46 M3 when I was 17. lol

Looked like a tool the first week, but it was smooth sailing from there on out. The best adivce I could give is to think of the clutch as a dimmer switch, not an on/off one. My main problem when I started is I was clutching out too fast which would make the car jerk around a lot. Once you become comfortable with the engagement point and get the rhythm down, it becomes second nature. 9years later and don't even think about it anymore. It's just muscle memory at this point.

And also, it would actually be pretty easy to learn on a vette. The engines got so much torque, you wouldn't even need to use the gas to take off. Just smoothly release the clutch and you'll be ready to go.

Ty4on

And also, it would actually be pretty easy to learn on a vette. The engines got so much torque, you wouldn't even need to use the gas to take off. Just smoothly release the clutch and you'll be ready to go.

I've not driven many cars that couldn't do that on flat ground, though the vast majority of cars I've driven have been diesels. It makes parking so much easier with one foot on the clutch and the other resting on the brake.

Diesel torque helps, but engine management is the most important. I drove an A200 last summer that had no issue doing hill starts without throttle input.

Looked like a tool the first week, but it was smooth sailing from there on out. The best adivce I could give is to think of the clutch as a dimmer switch, not an on/off one. My main problem when I started is I was clutching out too fast which would make the car jerk around a lot. Once you become comfortable with the engagement point and get the rhythm down, it becomes second nature. 9years later and don't even think about it anymore. It's just muscle memory at this point.

Wow, how did you afford a new M3 at 17?

Granadier

That's actually a good idea. I've heard it's not that bad you just have to you know...practice. I am in Houston granadier.

Ahh, my mistake. Manuals are not the greatest in stop and go traffic was what I was referring too.

-----

The P1 GTR's interior has been revealed. Here's where the 986 hp monster is tamed.

K4n0rSG.jpg

My best bud had one. It's nice. Clutch is soft and easy to manage, but could use refinement and feedback. Shifter is decent, throws aren't very long, shifter height is acceptable, but it could be more precise and perhaps have a bit more weight.

What kind of MTs are you used to driving typically? I can tell you how it compares to them. The closest comparison of the Genesis' MT I can draw in feel would be probably the Audi A5/S5. More soft, as opposed to sport like a Z, Vette, or S2000.

I have mostly driven MTs in the Honda family. So I have had 2 S2000s and a few Civic Si's over the years. I currently drive a 2005 Si EP3. That has a rubbery feel, but its still very nice and confident, though I most definitely prefer the s2ks feel.

what really struck me about the Genesis 2.0t is that it felt pretty unpredictable as far as power delivery is concerned. I was never confident about when the boost would kick in. Is that an auto trans thing?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The bite point of a VW clutch used to be like, where the sunroof is. I haven't driven one in a decade, are they still bonkers? (forgiving, but hiiiiigh).

Granadier

The bite point of a VW clutch used to be like, where the sunroof is. I haven't driven one in a decade, are they still bonkers? (forgiving, but hiiiiigh).

Yep. About 5% of the clutch travel off rest is all that separates engaged from slipping the fuck out of it.

AlphaSnake

I have mostly driven MTs in the Honda family. So I have had 2 S2000s and a few Civic Si's over the years. I currently drive a 2005 Si EP3. That has a rubbery feel, but its still very nice and confident, though I most definitely prefer the s2ks feel.

what really struck me about the Genesis 2.0t is that it felt pretty unpredictable as far as power delivery is concerned. I was never confident about when the boost would kick in. Is that an auto trans thing?

Nope. Same thing with the stick. It's extremely annoying. The turbo lag is absolutely awful on that car. So when you start the car in 1st, you've got to also rev it quite a bit because there's a distinct lack of torque until around 2700RPM.

My friend was quick to trade the car back to Hyundai and walk away with nothing in the end (he got it for a steal and only lost $3K on the trade after owning it for 9 months). So my honest suggestion is to get something else. These little niggles and quirks about the car WILL eventually annoy the hell out of you.

Granadier

Nope. Same thing with the stick. It's extremely annoying. The turbo lag is absolutely awful on that car. So when you start the car in 1st, you've got to also rev it quite a bit because there's a distinct lack of torque until around 2700RPM.

My friend was quick to trade the car back to Hyundai and walk away with nothing in the end (he got it for a steal and only lost $3K on the trade after owning it for 9 months). So my honest suggestion is to get something else. These little niggles and quirks about the car WILL eventually annoy the hell out of you.

Is the engine direct injected? If so that seems a little odd to have the torque kick in that high in the RPM range.
edit: Yep, weird power delivery then.

AlphaSnake

Is the engine direct injected? If so that seems a little odd to have the torque kick in that high in the RPM range.
edit: Yep, weird power delivery then.

Yeah, it is weird. It's not surprising though. It's one giant turbo on a tiny motor. They should've used a more efficient snail like BMW does or to a lesser extent Audi.

Hyundai claims 275TQ at 2000RPM, but I swear they're lying when you drive the car. If you keep the revs above 2500RPM, it won't bother you. But on the highway and trying to make a pass, you'll need to drop 2 gears without question. And then you get such a rush of torque that people around think you're a dick. LOL

Evo X

Wow, how did you afford a new M3 at 17?

Learned web design and started my first online business when I was 13. It was a website dedicated to cars and racing before Youtube was around. I initially created it for fun, but as it got more popular I was able to make money from ad revenue and premium memberships. It also paid for my college education so I'm pretty lucky in that regard.

paskowitz

Learned web design and started my first online business when I was 13. It was a website dedicated to cars and racing before Youtube was around. I initially created it for fun, but as it got more popular I was able to make money from ad revenue and premium memberships. It also paid for my college education so I'm pretty lucky in that regard.

Damn, what website if you do not mind me asking?

Granadier

I'm flipping you off in my mind out of envy.

But...well done.

FStop7

Banned

I learned stick on a 5.0L Mustang... The torque made it really easy, absolutely. Really forgiving.

My S2000 had the best shifter of any car I've owned, and the 2nd best of any car I've ever driven. Only the 997 GT3 was crisper and more positive.

sigh. I really want to get a new car, but I can't really find anything that is fitting me. This seemed just right on paper. But not so much in real life. maybe I will just get a low mile s2k!

hwalker84

Honestly learned a most of my manual ability from a Fanatic and Forza 4. Hoped into my boys WV and took off without much issue. No stalls.

I learnt how to drive on a manual, one of these actually. Now I don't know what to do with my hands in an automatic. Always a struggle when I rent cars.

XLYimaq.jpg

Yeah, it is weird. It's not surprising though. It's one giant turbo on a tiny motor. They should've used a more efficient snail like BMW does or to a lesser extent Audi.

Hyundai claims 275TQ at 2000RPM, but I swear they're lying when you drive the car. If you keep the revs above 2500RPM, it won't bother you. But on the highway and trying to make a pass, you'll need to drop 2 gears without question. And then you get such a rush of torque that people around think you're a dick. LOL

Oh I bet that torque's there at 2000rpm, but only after you've pegged the throttle and waited for half a lifetime. I don't know how people stand turbo motors in sports cars, the lack of throttle response robs the cars of so much fun and character.

Top Bottom