• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Installed what the Miata community considers to be the loudest exhaust available for the car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jbz6qPKFV8&feature=youtu.be

The first time I turned it on... you could say I needed a change in underwear right after. This thing burbles during deleceration and downshifts and at the right revs it'll pop during upshifts and when those moments happen... *drools*

This is seriously the best $300 I've ever spent in my entire life.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Went to the dealership to kill time while waiting on my haircut appointment.

Damn the new Challenger looks so good. Yeah, yeah... it's a boat, but it looks like a great cruising ride with some nice muscle when you wanna gun it. And the interior is actually really nice... lots of leather, plenty of soft touch materials. The navigation system was bright and clear, and the button layout intuitive.

The R/T with premium sound, navigation, leather, and nicer rims was like $37K. I imagine talking down to ~$34K wouldn't be too tough. Lots of car for that price.

I'd love a Hellcat right now... or hell, an RT Shaker pack with the 6.2. But the standard V8 R/T is actually somewhat in my price range...

ruxtpin

Banned
Hoping the new GT350 price rumors are true. Will be buying a house next year, but hoping I can still save enough in my "toy" fund to consider reserving one once their arrival is closer.

MisterNoisy

Installed what the Miata community considers to be the loudest exhaust available for the car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jbz6qPKFV8&feature=youtu.be

The first time I turned it on... you could say I needed a change in underwear right after. This thing burbles during deleceration and downshifts and at the right revs it'll pop during upshifts and when those moments happen... *drools*

This is seriously the best $300 I've ever spent in my entire life.

Sounds awesome! I'm planning a complete intake and exhaust overhaul on my new car because the factory setup is way too quiet. If you have to play fake engine noises on the stereo, you fucked up.

$300 is a steal. I'm looking at $700 for a Magnaflow cat back now.

TCRS

Banned
I had high hopes for the i20 after the success of the i10 but reviews for it weren't quite as favourable.

They're not? I've only watched video reviews and people generally seem to like it. They do criticise the steering (no feedback) but that seems to be an issue with all Hyundais. And the engines are old but new engines are coming soon.

Thanks

I was always confused on the point of the Avalon line.

It's the old people car from Toyota. It's basically a Lexus with Toyota badges. Solid car.

Is anyone else really disappointed with Acura recently? I think the TLX is nice but the new 2016 ILX is super disappointing. They now don't have a single manual transmission in their lineup.

Right now I have a 2014 Civic Si and it's great, but I'd just like a bit better interior in my next car in 4-5 years. Hopefully Acura has something sporty in their lineup at that time, something which is a return to classic Integra form.

Or I'll just lease a 4 series. *shrug*

Nissan and Infiniti doesn't CPO their cars, they don't have a CPO program. Their warranties on powertrains are already long enough at 5 years/60K. Also, don't forget you're actually PAYING for that CPO because it costs the dealership about $1800 to certify the car and then they inject $2600 into the cost of the car once you buy so they can make money. They use CPO as a selling tool, and there are tons of exclusions. For example, BMW doesn't cover water pumps...which they refused to do on my 335 Coupe. Said it was going to be $1500. So I told them to eat a dick and traded the car in for a new Jaguar. Audi doesn't cover any tech issues, don't even bother asking why. All of these dealerships I later found out have their own guidelines on what they'll cover, the CPO program is NOT a corporate honored program. It's a dealer-based program.

Euro makes have CPOs because once their 4 year warranties run out, you're screwed on anything except the seatbelt. Nissan is 3/36K full coverage and 5/60K on powertrain. But trust me, you'll likely never need to use it. But by all means, if you're looking for additional warranty a Nissan or Infiniti dealership will sell you one. But I can assure you, they're a waste of money.

Interesting. I didn't realize that they didn't have a program like that. I filtered on autotrader and it came up with results so I made large assumption that here was a corp sponsored program. Really appreciate the heads up.

So then my next plan is to look into that car then, having driven both now, I do like the quieter cabin on the g37 and the everything else on the Z.

Any opinions on the WRX 2015 (non STi) while I am asking? Test drove on and I reallly enjoyed it. Figured I would ask if anyone had opinions on it.

Interesting. I didn't realize that they didn't have a program like that. I filtered on autotrader and it came up with results so I made large assumption that here was a corp sponsored program. Really appreciate the heads up.

So then my next plan is to look into that car then, having driven both now, I do like the quieter cabin on the g37 and the everything else on the Z.

Any opinions on the WRX 2015 (non STi) while I am asking? Test drove on and I reallly enjoyed it. Figured I would ask if anyone had opinions on it.

With regards to the WRX - Excellent car. Great pedigree. Super reliable and safe. AWD is great and so is the boxer engine.

It's the old people car from Toyota. It's basically a Lexus with Toyota badges. Solid car.

Is anyone else really disappointed with Acura recently? I think the TLX is nice but the new 2016 ILX is super disappointing. They now don't have a single manual transmission in their lineup.

Right now I have a 2014 Civic Si and it's great, but I'd just like a bit better interior in my next car in 4-5 years. Hopefully Acura has something sporty in their lineup at that time, something which is a return to classic Integra form.

Or I'll just lease a 4 series. *shrug*

I was a bit disappointed that the current gen ILX was missing the LSD, though I am unsure how much i would notice it in normal driving. Especially considering there were more features in the Civic Si, it made the ILX look even more ridiculous by comparison. I know the DCT in the new one is something that is coming to quite a few Hondas in the future. Since many of the cars in there stable, on paper, come across as little more than muted, and dressy versions of the equivalent Hondas.

With regards to the WRX - Excellent car. Great pedigree. Super reliable and safe. AWD is great and so is the boxer engine.

Nice, thanks for the impressions.

I was a bit disappointed that the current gen ILX was missing the LSD, though I am unsure how much i would notice it in normal driving. Especially considering there were more features in the Civic Si, it made the ILX look even more ridiculous by comparison. I know the DCT in the new one is something that is coming to quite a few Hondas in the future. Since many of the cars in there stable, on paper, come across as little more than muted, and dressy versions of the equivalent Hondas.

Nice, thanks for the impressions.

Yup. I really love Honda/Acura but their current lineup is just such a snoozefest despite having some great technology. If I was to get a luxury Japanese car I'd probably take a 2014 IS350 over anything from Acura. What a shame.

Are the Infiniti Q60s just rebranded G37s? I don't think I've ever seen one. Or noticed one at least.

Sounds awesome! I'm planning a complete intake and exhaust overhaul on my new car because the factory setup is way too quiet. If you have to play fake engine noises on the stereo, you fucked up.

$300 is a steal. I'm looking at $700 for a Magnaflow cat back now.

Lol that Magnaflow seems priced right. That Mazdaspeed3 next to my Miata is actually my brother's and he's got a Maganaflow setup in it... cost him around the same I believe and another $200 to get it installed.

I promised myself that exhaust will be the last upgrade I'll do to my car for a while but that's probably not gonna happen lol. I'm still trying to secure a set of sway bars to complement my current suspension setup, it's decently low and rough riding, just like a proper street car. Then most likely I'll be upgrading my brakes to a big brake kit since I think my brakes are about halfway out... or it'll be the other way around, depends on what I see when I get some maintenance done sometime in the next week or so.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
'kay, now I'm thinking about the next-gen Chevrolet Volt. That should be unveiled next month. Man, it's so hard to decide on what to drive next...

TylerD

I drove my parents' new loaded Lexus RX350 about 800 miles over Thanksgiving break. It is very good at what it does which is be a nice place to spend time, soak up miles, and be very boring and quiet. I totally see the appeal and why they sell a ton of them and also why I wouldn't own one.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Are the Infiniti Q60s just rebranded G37s? I don't think I've ever seen one. Or noticed one at least.

For now yes they are, all Infinitis were renamed to that naming convention.. Next year at Detroit, Infiniti will debut an all new Q60 Coupe.

AlphaSnake

I agree. Before I bought my M56S, I was reaaally close on pulling the trigger on a fully loaded Q50 Hybrid S. Solid all around performance, beautiful interior, and awesome fuel efficiency for a car with a combined 380HP.

My only knock on the Q50 Hybrid was that after 100-105MPH, it really slowed down because the battery power begins to fizz out at that point. Still, overall, it's a great car. And they lease extremely well. I'm hoping that when my Jaguar lease ends Infiniti gives the Q50 Hybrid or Q50 a nice mechanical tweak or two.

More power out of the hybrid or a 3.0T in the standard car would be an immediate buy for me. Right now, that is allegedly the goal for Infiniti and Nissan who ARE expected to debut a 3.0 Twin Turbo with 340HP/330TQ.

Smokey

Next gen M5/M6 rumors

An uncorroborated/unsourced rumor coming from CAR claims that the next generation 6 Series (G15) and M6 will shed some massive weight.

All three 6 Series variants are reportedly going on a diet, with the coupe losing over 500 pounds, to approximately 3,450 pounds and the convertible also dropping 500 pounds to 3,750 pounds. Both models are claimed to be coming down in size as well. The Gran Coupe will also be getting lighter, despite growing in size with a longer wheelbase.

The weight reductions would be in large part owed to the advanced modular architecture which we've been referring to as 35up for the next generation 3-series, 5-series (G30) and larger models, and which has recently been renamed CLAR, which stands for cluster architecture. CLAR introduces a lightweight advanced material mix with some carbon fiber, high-strength steel, magnesium, titanium and aluminum alloys.

Along with xDrive AWD, CAR claims new 6 and 8 cylinder engines, with the 3.0L 6 cylinder turbo making 347 horsepower, the 4.4L V8 making 476 horsepowers and the M6's twin-turbo V8 hitting 600 horsepower.

That there are such specific weight and power figures revealed for a model not expected for a couple of years makes portions of the report somewhat dubious, but what we can safely expect is that the G15 generation of 6 Series will lose weight from the current models and that power and performance will be increased.

AlphaSnake

I'll believe it when I see it.

But damn, feels like yesterday the F12/13s came out. :\

No Love

Banned
Speaking of somewhat lighter BMW's, I know that I have called it the worst M3, but I'm really thinking about getting an E46 M3 and turning it into a turbo daily driver, fixing allof the flaws with the car (horrible exhaust note, not enough torque) and improving on the strengths (handling, weight) while adding a mountain of torque with E85 + super fast spooling turbo. I'm thinking I'd have 80-90% of peak torque around 2000-2500 RPM with the turbo size in mind. I'd be aiming for about 550-600 whp with similar wtq.

What do you guys think? It'd be a fun little project/daily while I save up for a 997.1 911 Turbo or C7 Z06. I should be able to snag the Z06 or Turbo in 4-5 months which is plenty of time to build and finish the E46.

I agree. Before I bought my M56S, I was reaaally close on pulling the trigger on a fully loaded Q50 Hybrid S. Solid all around performance, beautiful interior, and awesome fuel efficiency for a car with a combined 380HP.

My only knock on the Q50 Hybrid was that after 100-105MPH, it really slowed down because the battery power begins to fizz out at that point. Still, overall, it's a great car. And they lease extremely well. I'm hoping that when my Jaguar lease ends Infiniti gives the Q50 Hybrid or Q50 a nice mechanical tweak or two.

More power out of the hybrid or a 3.0T in the standard car would be an immediate buy for me. Right now, that is allegedly the goal for Infiniti and Nissan who ARE expected to debut a 3.0 Twin Turbo with 340HP/330TQ.

I assume you test drove one? I am curious on your impressions on what a car w/ a beefy electric motor feels like off the line.

AlphaSnake

I assume you test drove one? I am curious on your impressions on what a car w/ a beefy electric motor feels like off the line.

It's fun. Instant torque. Not quite Tesla levels, obviously, but combined with the gasoline motor, it's a great car overall.

Looks like my Mom's '11 350ML BlueTec is having issues with the AdBlue heater. The guys at the shop her friend works at quoted her $1200~ for the replacement heater, and $300 for the labor.

She's going to get in touch with him tonight. Looks like this is a somewhat common occurrence, right after the warranty ends. I'm going to read up on it now, but figured it was worth a shot asking you guys if anyone by any chance has had experience or knows someone. The guy at the shop told her that if she argues with the dealership that it should still be covered under the warranty, that they often fold on this particular issue for whatever reason. She hasn't given me all the details yet.

Update: So she took it to the dealership, aaaaand...they said nothing is wrong with the car. They did confirm that it's covered under the emissions warranty which is good til 80,000 miles or something like that.

Problem solved, for now, I guess.

Speaking of somewhat lighter BMW's, I know that I have called it the worst M3, but I'm really thinking about getting an E46 M3 and turning it into a turbo daily driver, fixing allof the flaws with the car (horrible exhaust note, not enough torque) and improving on the strengths (handling, weight) while adding a mountain of torque with E85 + super fast spooling turbo. I'm thinking I'd have 80-90% of peak torque around 2000-2500 RPM with the turbo size in mind. I'd be aiming for about 550-600 whp with similar wtq.

What do you guys think? It'd be a fun little project/daily while I save up for a 997.1 911 Turbo or C7 Z06. I should be able to snag the Z06 or Turbo in 4-5 months which is plenty of time to build and finish the E46.

That sounds like a fun project, but I can't get past the rear subframe problem. Having seen my friend have to repair his twice after a HP increase makes me think twice about that model.

I'd just put that money towards 997.1 mods...

How fast does a battery drain in cold weather? Didn't drive my Audi for a couple of weeks and the battery died.

Depends on the age of the battery, how cold it is, and so on.

The battery in my A4 is a little over four years old now and has never given me an issue. It gets to around 10-20F~ on an average winter here. I drive the car nearly every day though.

How fast does a battery drain in cold weather? Didn't drive my Audi for a couple of weeks and the battery died.

If the battery isn't that old, jumpstart it and let it run for at least 15 mins. Turn it off after and try to start it again, if it starts then head on over to Autozone or whatever and get a Battery Tender or something similar, plug it in and let it run according to the instructions.

But if it doesn't start again after letting the alternator recharge itself, skip the Battery Tender and just grab a new battery... it's most likely dead and the non-use and cold weather just shortened it's lifespan.

Yes. These cars are built rock solid - extremely reliable, you can beat the hell out of these cars and the motors love it. VQ37s are amazing engines. Only thing you need to check for are the clutch and slave cylinder. Make sure the clutch feels good, and that the fluid is the right color and there's plenty of it in the container. Take a nice test drive, get a solid feel for the clutch, make sure there's no play in it.

If you get a Z, get a 2011+ they come with oil coolers so you can run them hard and they won't pull power back, the oil temps will stay around the 200 area. I had to have an oil cooler fitted to my 2010 and it made an enormous difference.

My advice is definitely go for a 2011+ model of either car, you'll get the most reliability, newest updates, etc. Also, because you're buying used, don't skimp out on the technology package of either car. The Bose and Navigation are well worth it, the user interface is fantastic, easy to use, and it makes the interior of the Z look especially beautiful because it gives it a very complete look instead of the drab-looking base model with the cubby.

so found someone selling a 370z w/ Spor Package MY2013 w/ 14K on the odo. He is asking $28K. He is well over kbb value, but I am not sure how much water that holds with him. I the clutch did seem to engage nicely, but I wasn't yet able to check any fluids. Seems like a good deal if I can talk him down though.

He did tell me some stories about the "launches" that he has tried with the car. I imagine its a common practice though w/ Z owners? I haven't found one w/ the bose and leather though, in the 22K - 26K Price range from that year.

kharma45

They're not? I've only watched video reviews and people generally seem to like it. They do criticise the steering (no feedback) but that seems to be an issue with all Hyundais. And the engines are old but new engines are coming soon.

Engines did seem to be one of the main issues

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/i20/89460/new-hyundai-i20-2015-review

The 1.1L diesel did review better http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/i20/89543/hyundai-i20-diesel-review

Carbuyer had the same concerns centred around the engine

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/hyundai/i20/new-hatchback/review

I'd say once they get that sorted it'll be a very good buy. Wonder what Kia's Rio will be like when it comes along. Looks to certainly have solid underpinnings.

ameratsu

so found someone selling a 370z w/ Spor Package MY2013 w/ 14K on the odo. He is asking $28K. He is well over kbb value, but I am not sure how much water that holds with him. I the clutch did seem to engage nicely, but I wasn't yet able to check any fluids. Seems like a good deal if I can talk him down though.

He did tell me some stories about the "launches" that he has tried with the car. I imagine its a common practice though w/ Z owners? I haven't found one w/ the bose and leather though, in the 22K - 26K Price range from that year.

He was telling you about doing launches casually in conversation? I would run away

Malvingt2

Sorry that it took so long.. busy with work.. here is my new baby..

10615495_10153428843193957_5403076057063564059_n.jpg

10291251_10153428843278957_1066830382051722049_n.jpg

limited like I said it. The interior is beautiful. "gray".. I am terrible taking picture for a car lol

AlphaSnake

Yeah, what kind of launches are talking here? He driving launches? Or best hard launches?

He wants too much for it, as I mentioned in my PM response. You can get a brand new 370Z with Sport Pkg for about the same cost (invoice price) and 95% of dealers will sell you the car at minimum $100 below invoice (which is like 2K+ over MSRP).

He was telling you about doing launches casually in conversation? I would run away

Yea... yea.

Yeah, what kind of launches are talking here? He driving launches? Or best hard launches?

He wants too much for it, as I mentioned in my PM response. You can get a brand new 370Z with Sport Pkg for about the same cost (invoice price) and 95% of dealers will sell you the car at minimum $100 below invoice (which is like 2K+ over MSRP).

edit: launching at 3K and dumping the clutch.

Yea, I did a little digging and it did seem to high. It was very nice to see one locally though. Found one with bose + nav and sport pkg MY 2014 for 31,999. might look into that.

AlphaSnake

Yea... yea.

edit: launching at 3K and dumping the clutch.

Yea, I did a little digging and it did seem to high. It was very nice to see one locally though. Found one with bose + nav and sport pkg MY 2014 for 31,999. might look into that.

Jump on that shit RIGHT NOW. That's an amazing price. When I bought my 2010 Touring Leather Navi Sport options it was 43K MSRP. And I got it for 37K through a Nissan VIP employee discount (friend's and family discount promo). So I got a great deal on mine.

The car you found above is priced extremely well.

Do you know if it has leather?

Jump on that shit RIGHT NOW. That's an amazing price. When I bought my 2010 Touring Leather Navi Sport options it was 43K MSRP. And I got it for 37K through a Nissan VIP employee discount (friend's and family discount promo). So I got a great deal on mine.

The car you found above is priced extremely well.

Do you know if it has leather?

yea, it have leather actually. I'll definitely look into it tomorrow. no doubt.

also, forgot to mention, it is used w/ 14K miles though. Apologies.

EekTheKat

An old woman just clipped my GTR in a parking lot.

No one was hurt, but she t boned me and hit my driver side rear tire and body panel while I was in an aisle looking for a parking spot.

Saw her out of the corner of my eye, I honked, hoping she would stop, but nope. That awful crunch noise you here was the next thing I heard.

People were more annoyed we stopped in the middle of the parking lot exchanging ibfo

Car is drivable, though I fear she may have knocked something out of alignment. Body panel looks like the scratch was deep though.

EekTheKat

Screw that 370Z... for $5000 bucks more you can get this baby instead: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Viper...18b6b8904&item=281511954692&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Aaaand this is why I park all the way at the back of the parking lot no matter what, or some obscure location that lazy fncks don't want to park in lol.

I know, oh god how I know. The shit I use to do just to be sure I had a parking spot with plenty of clearance on both sides. I did everything I could to take care of this car. Going out of my way asking people for advice, taking it to a dealer to have "authorized" service on this thing as instructed. Even the little things like adding a skid plate felt like a life or death situation since it would improve the car for quality of life driving but I'd have to drill holes in the bottom of the car to mount it.

All that, ruined in one moment because an old lady with awful reflexes turned her old 4 door sedan into me.

To be clear, we were both in a parking lot in a mall, going "looking for parking spot" speeds. It's in a T intersection aisle, no stop sign, I was going straight, she turned into my lane. I honked like crazy and yet she couldn't stop.

All I wanted was a Sandwich for lunch. Looks like that Sandwich is going to cost me $2,000 or more based on how bad the scratches are. I just hope she didn't do anything to damage the suspension or the alignment.

One year old, 3800 miles on the thing. Absolutely loved the car and still felt the same about it since day 1 I've had it.

Someone will still park next to you. I think some people are incapable of parking between the lines and need a neighbouring car to help them align.

Yeah, those people are just assholes imo. Because if you park that far then that means you ain't lazy and you care about your car and you're probably gonna skip a spot and park there... otherwise, you're just parking next to me to be an asshole.

Also, if they're incapable of parking without another car to guide them... they probably shouldn't be driving at all.

All I wanted was a Sandwich for lunch. Looks like that Sandwich is going to cost me $2,000 or more based on how bad the scratches are.

Damn man, that statement is quite sobering.

That's one of the few reasons why I'm not really interested in super-expensive cars. I mean, given the chance I'll still buy one of course, but I'll keep it as a weekend car. I'd also get myself a cheapass beater like a Scooby or a Miata and let that take all the abuse other drivers will dish out.

EekTheKat

Yeah, those people are just assholes imo. Because if you park that far then that means you ain't lazy and you care about your car and you're probably gonna skip a spot and park there... otherwise, you're just parking next to me to be an asshole.

Also, if they're incapable of parking without another car to guide them... they probably shouldn't be driving at all.

Damn man, that statement is quite sobering.

My deductible is 2k, so I'm pretty boned anyway. Damage may be light enough where it doesn't go over my deductible, but the fact that it's a GTR might actually push it over.

Car drives okay still, but I'm afraid of long term damage if my tire/hubcap took the brunt of it damage. It was still low speed but I'm sure tires weren't meant to take impact into the hubcap.

The important thing for me is to get this done right, and make sure she didn't knock my alignment out of whack. Worst part is I'm leaving the country in a week on vacation and now this will be hanging over me for the whole trip.

It was oddly hilarious to see the Granny that hit me try and talk her way out of it - she tried to talk me out of not reporting it to the insurance company. Being that I grew up respecting my elders I was pre programmed to go with what she wanted, but ultimately common sense prevailed I wound up reporting it anyway.

I think she picked up on me being respectful and tried to take advantage of it. Despite how I look these days I'm still programmed to be respectful to the elderly from my childhood.

Absolutely disgusting behavior coming from her, but not unexpected from a scene of an minor accident, where the other party tries to talk their way out of it.

Top Bottom