• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

EekTheKat

Or you know, just about anyone at fault usually asks not to report if the damage isn't severe, and it had nothing to do with being respectful.

yeah I know, I wasn't angry or anything towards her, just got the insurance info all the while she slips in little jabs saying it's my fault ( which I had absolutely no clue how she arrived at that conclusion.) . While she played the usual reasons as to why not report this to the insurance company.

I was a combination of shocked and sad that my car was damaged like this. But I can't forget her little backhanded comments at me while all this was happening.

in an odd way I felt kind of foolish, because she almost talked me into not reporting it. Damage might be minor but given the nature and history of the car I would have been foolish to ignore it and handle it myself.

We went our separate ways relatively neutral though.

yeah I know, I wasn't angry or anything towards her, just got the insurance info all the while she slips in little jabs saying it's my fault. While she played the usual reasons as to why not report this to the insurance company.

I was a combination of shocked and sad that my car was damaged like this. But I can't forget her little backhanded comments at me while all this was happening.

in an odd way I felt kind of foolish, because she almost talked me into not reporting it. Damage might be minor but given the nature and history of the car I would have been foolish to ignore it and handle it myself.

We went our separate ways relatively neutral though.

I had a couple of close calls in my old car, so the first thing I bought when I got a new car was a dashcam.

Are you in a no-fault state? Can you file for a mini-tort for your deductible amount?

EekTheKat

I had a couple of close calls in my old car, so the first thing I bought when I got a new car was a dashcam.

Are you in a no-fault state? Can you file for a mini-tort for your deductible amount?

Nope, not in no fault State unless something changed in California recently. No idea on a mini tort, though the insurance adjuster will call me back tomorrow and I'm to bring the car in on Tuesday to their inspection center.

I think I need to detour to Nissan though to have them look at the car underneath, in addition to finding a body shop that can do the repairs like this.

I hope it's something that can be buffed out, but one of the scratches looked pretty deep.

And yeah I had a dash cam in my Amazon wish list for the longest time now, never pulled the trigger on it because I wasn't comfortable fiddling around with the fusebox of a GTR myself, that and the camera I was looking at might have been pretty bad with macroblocking and artifacts (low bitrate dashcams basically) . Now I'm sort of regretting that decision especially since it's was a pretty easy 20 minute install.

EekTheKat

Sorry to hear about your gtr man..

Thanks, Guess that it happened at a slow speed in a parking lot and not some high speed environment was a blessing in disguise, and no one was hurt.

Still a huge pain in the ass having to deal with this over christmas. instead of enjoying the holidays.

Malvingt2

Guys.......... why does the 2015 Nissan Murano looks so damn sweet? Jesus Chris the new design is amazing.

2015-nissan-murano-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-588818-s-original.jpg

Reven

That Murano does actually look pretty nice. Definitely a huge improvement over the current/past styling. Hopefully they don't make any more of those cross-cabriolet abominations.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
yea, it have leather actually. I'll definitely look into it tomorrow. no doubt.

also, forgot to mention, it is used w/ 14K miles though. Apologies.

So this is a fully loaded Touring + Navi + Sport model which had an MSRP of $41K new, and an invoice of $39K. I'd say you've found yourself a great deal. Check the free CarFax, make sure there's no accidents. See if you can knock off another $500-1000 and you're good to go.

AlphaSnake

My deductible is 2k, so I'm pretty boned anyway. Damage may be light enough where it doesn't go over my deductible, but the fact that it's a GTR might actually push it over.

Car drives okay still, but I'm afraid of long term damage if my tire/hubcap took the brunt of it damage. It was still low speed but I'm sure tires weren't meant to take impact into the hubcap.

The important thing for me is to get this done right, and make sure she didn't knock my alignment out of whack. Worst part is I'm leaving the country in a week on vacation and now this will be hanging over me for the whole trip.

It was oddly hilarious to see the Granny that hit me try and talk her way out of it - she tried to talk me out of not reporting it to the insurance company. Being that I grew up respecting my elders I was pre programmed to go with what she wanted, but ultimately common sense prevailed I wound up reporting it anyway.

I think she picked up on me being respectful and tried to take advantage of it. Despite how I look these days I'm still programmed to be respectful to the elderly from my childhood.

Absolutely disgusting behavior coming from her, but not unexpected from a scene of an minor accident, where the other party tries to talk their way out of it.

Not sure why you keep saying hubcaps. These are hubcaps:

aftermarket%20hubcaps2.jpg

GTRs have forged alloy wheels.

Post pictures of the damage at numerous angles and I'll tell you if it needs to be repainted or not. Check it under different lighting angles for dents and such.

Post it here.

EekTheKat

Not sure why you keep saying hubcaps. These are hubcaps:

aftermarket%20hubcaps2.jpg

GTRs have forged alloy wheels.

Post pictures of the damage at numerous angles and I'll tell you if it needs to be repainted or not. Check it under different lighting angles for dents and such.

Post it here.

Heh sorry, kind of wasn't thinking straight when I posted. Accident was still hanging over my mind.

Couple quick pics I snapped a while ago.

7UkHtlvl.jpg

Looking at it now I probably made it sound worse than it actually was. Paint traded with some deep scratches in the body panel. The alloy wheels seemed to have held up, though scratched to hell.

Parking lot, slow speeds, T intersection like aisle. No stop signs or anything.

She was at the end of the T intersection and pulls into me. Guess I may be fortunate that the tire took the brunt of it.

Tire pressure meters were still reading normal, and handling felt the same at lower speeds. Think I'll have to take it in to have someone look at it just in case since I'm think the tires weren't meant to take impact of any sorts from that direction.

had a couple more, still uploading though.

AlphaSnake

Honestly, while not the best pics, it looks like there are no dents? That's a massive plus.

Try to polish the paint transfer out first. Inspect what's leftover. It may be a lot less than what you think. Either way, paying a 2K deductible is NOT worth it. That's not $2K in paint damage. Don't run the risk of hurting your car resale value because this will get filed on its CarFax.

It needs fairly minor repsray in that general area, any proper shop should be able to do it for $600 or so because there's no panel damage involved and no dents to fix. Regarding the rim, don't worry...it takes impact a lot worse than 10MPH collision with a plastic bumper on a daily basis. Have it refinished, it should run around $150-200 at most. Ask around the GTR forums for advice on California shops.

EekTheKat

Honestly, while not the best pics, it looks like there are no dents? That's a massive plus.

Try to polish the paint transfer out first. Inspect what's leftover. It may be a lot less than what you think. Either way, paying a 2K deductible is NOT worth it. That's not $2K in paint damage. Don't run the risk of hurting your car resale value because this will get filed on its CarFax.

It needs fairly minor repsray in that general area, any proper shop should be able to do it for $600 or so because there's no panel damage involved and no dents to fix. Regarding the rim, don't worry...it takes impact a lot worse than 10MPH collision with a plastic bumper on a daily basis. Have it refinished, it should run around $150-200 at most. Ask around the GTR forums for advice on California shops.

yeah sorry, not much of a photographer, I just ran down and took some quick snaps.

From feeling it I'm not feeling a dent or anything. It's kind of hard to see on a black car that's fairly reflective.

I do know a shop that works on high end cars who did some work for me a while back (proper skidplate install) , owner was a pretty straight shooter so might just take it him to see what he thinks and probably just get it done.

Noobish question - since I already reported it to my insurer (it seemed wrong that she wanted to just walk away from this and let us both handle this on our own, especially since she turned into me) ,does that make an impact to my carfax report? Or does that only impact it if I choose to pay the deductible? Or will the adjuster pretty much just tell me the same thing and I should just find a shop tomorrow to take this in and let him handle the rest?

Talked to allstate, they have no clue on the carfax question, but it looks like I'll probably be taking the out of pocket option depending on what the adjuster says.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Definitely get it into a reputable alignment shop though that is used to dealing with GTR's.

An impact to the wheel like that could very well put something out of spec, although it looks like you got lucky and it wasn't a large impact.

Good luck getting it back in shape.

AlphaSnake

yeah sorry, not much of a photographer, I just ran down and took some quick snaps.

From feeling it I'm not feeling a dent or anything. It's kind of hard to see on a black car that's fairly reflective.

I do know a shop that works on high end cars who did some work for me a while back (proper skidplate install) , owner was a pretty straight shooter so might just take it him to see what he thinks and probably just get it done.

Noobish question - since I already reported it to my insurer (it seemed wrong that she wanted to just walk away from this and let us both handle this on our own, especially since she turned into me) ,does that make an impact to my carfax report? Or does that only impact it if I choose to pay the deductible? Or will the adjuster pretty much just tell me the same thing and I should just find a shop tomorrow to take this in and let him handle the rest?

Talked to allstate, they have no clue on the carfax question, but it looks like I'll probably be taking the out of pocket option depending on what the adjuster says.

You don't have to file a claim on the spot. You can just get the other person's info, take some pictures, assess the damage and figure out if it's worth calling insurance about. Some states damage reports work differently. In NYC, my Jaguar got side-swiped by a drunk taxi. We went through the taxi company's insurance and my body shop told me it won't appear on my CarFax because it won't be my insurance reporting the accident (even though my insurance paid out for all the work, but only because they knew they were going to sue and beat the taxi insurance for all the money).

You can still tell your insurance company to cancel the claim if you wish and tell them there was no damage and that everything polished away. See what they say.

You can ask the body shop about this as well, they know insurance companies like the back of their hand. It doesn't look at all like you need a new bumper, and it would be sad to see your car's report have a blemish on it over something as stupid as this because I'd personally still pay full used-value for your car as if it were mint, despite knowing about the hit. But CarFax won't specify the extent of the damage and once it's on there, it's on there for good.

MisterNoisy

After 4000 miles in the Veloster R-Spec (including two 600-mile drives in as many weeks), I'm positive I made the right choice trading the Gen Coupe in on it. The V is a riot as a daily driver - I can open it up for short bursts and not freak everyone out (or even break the law sometimes), and it's murderous in urban/suburban driving - between the instant power and small size, this thing is the perfect tool for slicing through traffic - it squirts forward like a pinched watermelon seed.

The Gen Coupe was far superior from any dynamic perspective save for ride and had a fair bit more in the way of creature comforts, but none of that really matters - I can drive the Veloster way harder in day to day driving and winding out that whistling hamster of a motor is way more fulfilling than loafing around town at 2-3000 RPM in the GC. I do miss the rear-drive shenanigans and the GC's super sexy exhaust note, but feeling the V's rear end skip around a corner I overcooked a bit provides a bit of rotational fun as recompense.

Interestingly, I've had tons of people approach me out of the blue (usually at gas stations) either admiring the car or asking questions, which I didn't expect. Between the unusual color and the crazy styling, a surprising amount of people are at least curious about it - I've had more people approach me about this car in three months than I did in the first year or two of Gen Coupe ownership. 30-35 year old women in particular really dig this car for some reason.

In short, the Gen Coupe was a 'better' car objectively, but subjectively, this weird little thing - really just an Elantra with an attitude problem - is the bees' knees. It may not be for you, but man, I dig it.

TCRS

Banned
The new A4 is supposed to come next year so the A5 the year after maybe? Or they'll release the new A5 before the A4 as they did with the A7/A6. 2 years max I would say.

edit: wait, A7/A6 were only updates but the A4 is supposed to be brand new. so A4 probably first.

So I took my car to the dealer last week for it's first scheduled maintence. It was free so I was like why not.

I had been wondering why my gas mileage, while not bad, wasn't as good as I thought I could be. I drive the thing up to South Carolina and during the trip the TPMS sensor goes off. I look at the tires closer and yeah they look a bit low. I am expecting a leak or puncture or something.

I measure the pressure and all are around 26 psi. I look at the door and it says they're supposed to be at 36 psi. Looks like the dealer adjusted them to 26 with nitrogen?

Needless to say I filled them to 36 and already noticed an improvement in mileage.

AlphaSnake

Why you gotta hate?

Speaking from experience. Had an A4 2.0T, A6 4.2, and 2012 A6 3.0T.

The best was the A6 4.2L...until it started having all sorts of electrical issues after 60K miles. And then the torque converter shit itself and I traded it in for a new 2012 A6. I won't even get into the stupid array of issues that car developed before it hit 10K miles.

The A4 was a downright disaster. Every conceivable issue it could possibly have had for a 2006 model, it had it all. Every TSB was performed. And more kept coming. It was at the dealer every 3 months, easily. The final straw was when we told the dealer the starts were weak and to check the battery...they said the battery was fine.

A week later the car wouldn't start as my wife (gf at the time) went to start the car after work.

I've got a question for y'all AutoGAF.

So my mom's Buick Rendezvous is on life support, engine trouble, blah blah blah... anybody who knows cars knows that as soon as any GM car goes past 100k miles, it's on it's way to pasture. I've known this for a while now and have mentioned every fncking time to sell the shit instead of fixing it, but noooo, they won't listen to me nor my brother even though me and him are car enthusiasts and know cars inside out. I can't even tell y'all how many times me and him have told them to junk the shit.

But you know how it is, parents never listen to their kids so now... they've got to foot at least $2300 to fix the car. So yeah, either they spend $2300 to fix the broken engine or spend $5000 to get a new engine. Do note that the current trade-in value of the car is at a paltry $1200... and that's being generous since it's from Edmunds.

So, what do y'all think... fix the engine or buy a new engine? Buying a new car isn't out of the question either, but we all know that's the proper option here... just wanted y'all's thoughts on it since some of y'all might have a different idea than mine.

And yes, I'm a little bit pissed coz like I said, I already knew this was on it's way out. It was practically like Alpha's Audi... at the shop every 3 months, since 2013, for many reasons. But the parents don't listen and now that shit hit the fan, they're coming at me and my brother for advice on what to do. They had so many chances to sell it and get decent money for it throughout the entire year, hell just 3 months ago it was valued at $2000! But they instead opted to pay $800 to fix the POS. All the repair money they spent could've been put on a downpayment or some shit, but noope.

AlphaSnake

If the repair is MORE than what the car is worth, the car is supposed to be junked. It's not worth fixing a car that old anymore. Junk it and tell them to buy something new.

Granadier

Speaking from experience. Had an A4 2.0T, A6 4.2, and 2012 A6 3.0T.

The best was the A6 4.2L...until it started having all sorts of electrical issues after 60K miles. And then the torque converter shit itself and I traded it in for a new 2012 A6. I won't even get into the stupid array of issues that car developed before it hit 10K miles.

The A4 was a downright disaster. Every conceivable issue it could possibly have had for a 2006 model, it had it all. Every TSB was performed. And more kept coming. It was at the dealer every 3 months, easily. The final straw was when we told the dealer the starts were weak and to check the battery...they said the battery was fine.

A week later the car wouldn't start as my wife (gf at the time) went to start the car after work.

Haha, this sums up the Audi experience pretty damn well.
I love the cars, but god damn they are finicky.

Had a 4.2 A6 as well and the torque converter went out on it. I was working at a dealer at the time and the 4.2 TC's went out on so many A6's and A8's.

Did you have issues with the 3.0T outside of the supercharger / coolant seals or whatever that was?

AlphaSnake

Haha, this sums up the Audi experience pretty damn well.
I love the cars, but god damn they are finicky.

Had a 4.2 A6 as well and the torque converter went out on it. I was working at a dealer at the time and the 4.2 TC's went out on so many A6's and A8's.

Did you have issues with the 3.0T outside of the supercharger / coolant seals or whatever that was?

The transmission issues on the C6 A6s can be completely avoided if not for Audi's negligence and arrogance. The ZF 6AT transmission in the car DOES require 50K mile service intervals. Audi says it doesn't. That same transmission is found in many other cars at the time and requires service. Audi tells its customers that it's a "Sealed unit". Well, there's still a drain which you can refill by pumping oil back in it.

I recently found out Jaguar X-Type and S-Types used the Nissan JATCO 5AT transmission from the Maxima, 350Z, G35, etc. of the era. My friend who's an SA at Jaguar told me those cars have awful reliability because of all the transmission issues. So I told him my story about the old 4.2 and its ZF. He told me that the old trans Jaguar used would suffer the same issue and that it didn't require service. I told him the most reliable automatic I've ever abused was my 350Z which was a JATCO. And he tells me that's what the Jaguar used to use. And it hit me, when I told him that Nissan requires transmission service on that car every 50K miles, he told me Ford (at the time) and Jaguar called it a non-serviceable unit that had lifetime fluid in it. And thus, I realized why those old S-Types and X-Types had such catastrophic transmission failures.

As far as the 2012 A6 within 10K miles:

Considerable oil consumption. TSB performed, returned and continues to persist.
Faulty thermostat. Car started to overheat tremendously at 7K miles.
AC failure. Airconditioner randomly fails to turn on. First started happening early in 2014 when the dead of winter hit NYC. Shutting off the car and turning it back on fixes it...never stores a fault for dealer to scan.

There was one more issue, but I'm blanking on it, because once I got my 2012 Jaguar XF 5.0 and moved to Florida, I lease traded the Audi fully to my dad's name (I tried to convince him to lemon it to no avail). I think there was a bad sensor or something.

In any case, my Jaguar's proven to be far more reliable mechanically than any Audi I've ever owned.

Granadier

The transmission issues on the C6 A6s can be completely avoided if not for Audi's negligence and arrogance. The ZF 6AT transmission in the car DOES require 50K mile service intervals. Audi says it doesn't. That same transmission is found in many other cars at the time and requires service. Audi tells its customers that it's a "Sealed unit". Well, there's still a drain which you can refill by pumping oil back in it.

I recently found out Jaguar X-Type and S-Types used the Nissan JATCO 5AT transmission from the Maxima, 350Z, G35, etc. of the era. My friend who's an SA at Jaguar told me those cars have awful reliability because of all the transmission issues. So I told him my story about the old 4.2 and its ZF. He told me that the old trans Jaguar used would suffer the same issue and that it didn't require service. I told him the most reliable automatic I've ever abused was my 350Z which was a JATCO. And he tells me that's what the Jaguar used to use. And it hit me, when I told him that Nissan requires transmission service on that car every 50K miles, he told me Ford (at the time) and Jaguar called it a non-serviceable unit that had lifetime fluid in it. And thus, I realized why those old S-Types and X-Types had such catastrophic transmission failures.

As far as the 2012 A6 within 10K miles:

Considerable oil consumption. TSB performed, returned and continues to persist.
Faulty thermostat. Car started to overheat tremendously at 7K miles.
AC failure. Airconditioner randomly fails to turn on. First started happening early in 2014 when the dead of winter hit NYC. Shutting off the car and turning it back on fixes it...never stores a fault for dealer to scan.

There was one more issue, but I'm blanking on it, because once I got my 2012 Jaguar XF 5.0 and moved to Florida, I lease traded the Audi fully to my dad's name (I tried to convince him to lemon it to no avail). I think there was a bad sensor or something.

In any case, my Jaguar's proven to be far more reliable mechanically than any Audi I've ever owned.

Along with the service interval issues, as far as I know the ZF transmission was programmed from Audi to slip more than normal in the A6/A8 to give a move "luxury feel". At least that was the story around the shop when I was working on them. Those trans were replaced almost as much as the Allroad air suspension.

Bummer about the 3.0T. I always liked the way Audi's looked and drove, but it's a shame they end up having such long lists of issues.

AlphaSnake

Along with the service interval issues, as far as I know the ZF transmission was programmed from Audi to slip more than normal in the A6/A8 to give a move "luxury feel". At least that was the story around the shop when I was working on them. Those trans were replaced almost as much as the Allroad air suspension.

Bummer about the 3.0T. I always liked the way Audi's looked and drove, but it's a shame they end up having such long lists of issues.

They have some minor slip when you launched it. But if you gradually eased into the power from a roll, you could bypass that. Mine, by the time it hit 70K miles, if I gave it half-throttle from a standstill it would jerk 2-3 times before actually accelerated smoothly. One jerk at 1500RPM, then it'll jump and jerk at 2500RPM and then go somewhat normally...albeit you can feel the performance has degraded considerably. I bet the fluid in that transmission had churned itself into butter. I drove that car hard often.

If the TC didn't shit itself, I'd have probably had that car longer. For a while I considered getting a used 2009-2011 4.2L since it had the upgraded 355HP motor - but was concerned with the same Audi issues, so ultimately traded in old + leased a new one.

There's something about the way the C6 looks that I still have a softspot for, though...

Granadier

They have some minor slip when you launched it. But if you gradually eased into the power from a roll, you could bypass that. Mine, by the time it hit 70K miles, if I gave it half-throttle from a standstill it would jerk 2-3 times before actually accelerated smoothly. One jerk at 1500RPM, then it'll jump and jerk at 2500RPM and then go somewhat normally...albeit you can feel the performance has degraded considerably. I bet the fluid in that transmission had churned itself into butter. I drove that car hard often.

If the TC didn't shit itself, I'd have probably had that car longer. For a while I considered getting a used 2009-2011 4.2L since it had the upgraded 355HP motor - but was concerned with the same Audi issues, so ultimately traded in old + leased a new one.

There's something about the way the C6 looks that I still have a softspot for, though...

Indeed. I especially love the look of the S6 variant. And I would do terrible things to get my hands on an RS6 Avant here in the States....

Every time this comes up I feel like I live in an alternate universe.

I bought my B8 A4 in October of 2010, since then I've put 41,XXX miles on it, had 1 service performed each year by the local dealership as part of their maintenance plan, and besides that only changed the oil at 5k intervals (it does burn through it somewhat quickly) and gotten the tires rotated a few times.

I bought a better set of tires for it last year, and replaced a tail light bulb that cost $5 a few months ago.

That's it. Not a single "real" issue with the car in all that time. I'm basically terrified that it's going to start falling apart on me now, and I want to get something sportier (which is probably going to have just as many potential issues), but I'm pouring my disposable income into growing my business and saving for an engagement ring/wedding/honeymoon and don't want to go wasting cash right now on something I have that works perfectly.

Stop scaring me :[

Granadier

Every time this comes up I feel like I live in an alternate universe.

I bought my B8 A4 in October of 2010, since then I've put 41,XXX miles on it, had 1 service performed each year by the local dealership as part of their maintenance plan, and besides that only changed the oil at 5k intervals (it does burn through it somewhat quickly) and gotten the tired rotated a few times.

I bought a better set of tires for it last year, and replaced a tail light bulb that cost $5 a few months ago.

That's it. Not a single "real" issue with the car in all that time. I'm basically terrified that it's going to start falling apart on me now, and I want to get something sportier (which is probably going to have just as many potential issues), but I'm pouring my disposable income into growing my business and saving for an engagement ring/wedding/honeymoon and don't want to go wasting cash right now on something I have that works perfectly.

Stop scaring me :[

The B8's are the oddity.
If you haven't had to replace all the pistons in your 2.0t yet under warranty, then I think you're good to go for the most part.

edit: Speaking of Audi's, here's a video of that new concept/platform that was posted a while ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzIOnV3bEZs

Since I keep asking things, how are the 228i's? I found a used one w/ 3K on the odo, 6MT and Premium + Leather + Cold Weather and Msport on it. its a bit far, but it might be just the thing I am looking for. any opinions?

AlphaSnake

Since I keep asking things, how are the 228i's? I found a used one w/ 3K on the odo, 6MT and Premium + Leather + Cold Weather and Msport on it. its a bit far, but it might be just the thing I am looking for. any opinions?

I test drove an M235i and it's the best car BMW makes right now. By far.

The 228i is quite a bit slower, but still fun, albeit overpriced imo.

AlphaSnake

Yeah, as much as I love the car, I'd rather go all out for the M235i since it allows room for modding. I can't justify 33K for a 240HP 4-banger.

No Love

Banned
I test drove an M235i and it's the best car BMW makes right now. By far.

The 228i is quite a bit slower, but still fun, albeit overpriced imo.

I really do want to test drive the M235i. For the money, I can easily make it better than an M4 for a fraction of the price.

However, it does look sort of gumpy compared to the 435i/M4/M3.

AlphaSnake

M2 is right around the corner, bros.

It's about 18 months away, unfortunately. Won't be arriving until mid-2016. It'll also boast the same motor just more power and a factory installed LSD. The only plus it'll have is a true M suspension and gorgeous M-widebody work. It may get the DCT, but that's a huge maybe assuming they can fit it into the car's snug layout.

But I'd rather take an M235 work on the suspension myself, give the car a light ECU tune to bring it to the 380HP mark of the M2 and enjoy it. It's always more fun to do some of the stuff yourself, imo.

It's about 18 months away, unfortunately. Won't be arriving until mid-2016. It'll also boast the same motor just more power and a factory installed LSD. The only plus it'll have is a true M suspension and gorgeous M-widebody work. It may get the DCT, but that's a huge maybe assuming they can fit it into the car's snug layout.

But I'd rather take an M235 work on the suspension myself, give the car a light ECU tune to bring it to the 380HP mark of the M2 and enjoy it. It's always more fun to do some of the stuff yourself, imo.

Solid points. I figure the car is going to start just shy of $60k as well, which...is a lot, considering other options on the market.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Why we still got brzs

FStop7

Banned
My... special lady friend... got me this for my birthday.

I think I found a keeper...

61KHHecj8AL.jpg

Speaking of somewhat lighter BMW's, I know that I have called it the worst M3, but I'm really thinking about getting an E46 M3 and turning it into a turbo daily driver, fixing allof the flaws with the car (horrible exhaust note, not enough torque) and improving on the strengths (handling, weight) while adding a mountain of torque with E85 + super fast spooling turbo. I'm thinking I'd have 80-90% of peak torque around 2000-2500 RPM with the turbo size in mind. I'd be aiming for about 550-600 whp with similar wtq.

What do you guys think? It'd be a fun little project/daily while I save up for a 997.1 911 Turbo or C7 Z06. I should be able to snag the Z06 or Turbo in 4-5 months which is plenty of time to build and finish the E46.

I would be very wary of the rear subframe of any E46 M3. Get a very thorough inspection done before buying. And if the subframe is good then get it reinforced, especially if you're going to mod the suspension and add a lot of power.

The say it's the worst M3 though is nutty. The worst M3 is the "new" M3/M4. Followed by the US version of the E36 M3, which didn't even get the right engine. Then comes the E90/E92. Then E46. And finally, the E30 being the best of them all.

EekTheKat

So yeah, small update on my situation - the tire for the wheel that was hit seems to have been taken more damage than originally thought. I'm seeing bits of tire being shredded off at the rim. Other 3 tires seem perfectly fine.

Not unexpected given the nature of the collision. I stopped driving immediately and had the car towed to the shop as soon as I noticed it.

Since I had less than 4000 miles on it and have already taken the car in twice for inspection and maintenance (first was a free Nissan optimization service, they rotate and align the tires pretty much each time I take it in.).

Top Bottom