• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Lizardus

Ford Focus RS coming to NA!!

Please have AWD, please!

18n9vd17ftahejpg.jpg

Twitter Source

My car has arrived in the U.S. Should be at my dealer by next weekend. Cant wait.

Also, don't know if its been mentioned but it turns out the new Z06 isn't all it was hyped up to be. Its got a conservative ECU for warranty, can't beat a Viper T/A in a straight, and having not posted a Ring time, it may possibly be slower than the ZR1 in the turns. The last bit is speculation for now.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My car has arrived in the U.S. Should be at my dealer by next weekend. Cant wait.

Also, don't know if its been mentioned but it turns out the new Z06 isn't all it was hyped up to be. Its got a conservative ECU for warranty, can't beat a Viper T/A in a straight, and having not posted a Ring time, it may possibly be slower than the ZR1 in the turns. The last bit is speculation for now.

Considering it's easily beaten the ZR1 around a handful of other tracks, it's CERTAINLY faster than it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Is there a difference between the Z06 and Z07 trim levels beyond the aero bits?

Congrats! I've had a Fiesta SE for the last week as a rental and it's been surprisingly fun with 112 hp and 120 tq. I'm sure the ST is a riot.
Cheers! :)

Had it just two weeks today and absolutely love it. 197hp in the ST and a surprising amount of low-down torque. Quite uncharacteristic for a turbo engine, but it just pulls from low down in any gear. Makes it so easy to drive as a 'normal' car as well. It'll sit at 30mph in 5th gear, giving you 60-70mpg.

Unfortunately, the engine note is too addictive and I've got a heavy right foot; average economy is sitting at 30mpg right now. But hey, what's the point in owning an ST if you're not gonna use it, right?!

AlphaSnake

Meh. It's really angular. Too many sharp creases and lines everywhere. Audi's sort of overdoing it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I really, really, really like that.

Audi has made the Q7 look more streamlined instead of the elephant it was before.

It will still be driven primarily by middle to upper class soccer mom's.

The Z/28 was delivered last week! Black, no AC/Radio, Vin #533

That first picture is straight up threatening you with assault and battery, looks naaaaaasty. Grats!

Re: the Q7, I wish Audi wouldn't chase BMW in the "headlights fused the exposed grille" aesthetic. It makes Audi's corporate grille actually look like a giant snout.

Lizardus

any idea of cost and when it would hit? this may delay my evo purchase...

just saw this too http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ocus-rs-first-details-exclusive-insider-info/

320-350 hp. yes please.

Fuck yes so AWD is pretty much confirmed then.

I would so the pricing would be between the STI and EVO.

Well it will be a 2016 model year and in limited numbers so not sure how hard it would be track one down.

I am personally getting the Golf R when it hits Canada next year. I definitely will look in to Focus RS for an upgrade.

Hot hatches >>>>>>>> All

Viperbah

Can't lie, watching the Viper pull it over and over made me smile and reading the excuses and bs on corvetteforum about this race is hilarious. In fairness there are only a handful of cars that will beat a Viper from a roll and the guy in that particular Viper def had the driver mod. The A8 will make things more interesting, plus it's picking up stupid numbers from just a tune and minor bolt ons. I think one is already above 670 rwhp with a pully, exhaust and tune.

Congrats...amazing purchase. You keeping your SS ?

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
are the headlights on the Z supposed to be a throwback?
The lineup was refreshed in 2014 with a new front and rear fascia. I prefer the 10-13s but I don't mind the 14-15s.
That bitch look bad congrats
That first picture is straight up threatening you with assault and battery, looks naaaaaasty. Grats
Thank you!

Congrats...amazing purchase. You keeping your SS ?
Thanks! And yes I'm keeping the SS because I have too much work into it to want to sell it, and I'm garaging the Z for the winter.

TCRS

Banned
I like the snout design, a perfect mix of aggressive and elegant. too many car designs nowadays are too aggressive for my tastes. not so sure about the rear, especially the design of the lights, a bit over the top imo. I really like the new steering wheel though, hopefully there'll be a proper four spoke version of it. Audi - so far - seems to be the only company not phasing out 4-spoke steering wheels. BMW has gone all 3-spoke and Mercedes seems to be going in the same direction.

Browny

Banned
The Q5 and Q7 are my guilty pleasures - I'd definitely own one given half a chance, but could probably find a better estate car for the same money (but that's beside the point). But that grill... ewwww. It's simply not nice at all - the last line of Audis appear to be trying too hard IMO.

Snakepit

Quick Question for y'all automotive gaf...

I'm thinking of picking up some rain visors for my front and back windows but I'm unsure I should get the in channel kind or seamless? Is one better than the other? Or maybe one looks tackier than the other? I'm not really sure,.

For reference I have a 2013 Honda Accord Sport.

Just got my CRX back from the body shop. Needed the rear bumper painted, as I bought it mid restoration. Sunroof skin still needs to be replaced (already painted) and the engine needs some tlc but only has 600miles on the build so far. Finally get to give my other 86 honda a break and a much needed visit to the body shop. Here are a few pictures i took today after getting the bumper mounted properly for those interested.

wOSDmD2l.jpg

qOHDn8Kl.jpg

ZitxgYll.jpg

some fucker dinged my drivers side door the other day, so I have to have some paintless dent removal done. There were some marks on the hood from the previous owners run in with hurricane sandy, so it's not such a big deal, just sucks because I know its there.

The Q5 and Q7 are my guilty pleasures - I'd definitely own one given half a chance, but could probably find a better estate car for the same money (but that's beside the point). But that grill... ewwww. It's simply not nice at all - the last line of Audis appear to be trying too hard IMO.

Q5 is on the SUV short list of family SUV's that my wife and I are looking at. I just a bit scared of the overall build quality of these things.

Still everytime I get in one, I think to myself how nice it would be putting around town in it.

anyones opinion of the E46 M3?

I had mentioned it before but I can't get past the rear subframe problem on this model. Having seen my friend have to repair his twice (under warranty) after a HP increase, makes me think twice about that model.

AlphaSnake

anyones opinion of the E46 M3?

another-custom-silver-gray-bmw-e46-m3-photo-gallery_1.jpg

Great cars. But stay the hell away. Subframe issues plague virtually every model year. Early year cars had motor issues that would literally destroy the engine (spun bearing). Also, I believe, as is par for course for a BMW, VANOS issues too.

minx

Saw the BMW i3 in person yesterday on the highway. From behind I couldn't tell what the fuck it was. Initial impression, ugly as sin. While passing I view that side and think we'll this looks like nothing else on the road. Looks like it's from the future. But not a fan. Front isn't awful though.

Back form the land of the shadows...(for now)

I did something interesting to wrap the track season for this year. For my overall 10th trackday, I put on the original tires that came with the car that were not only old but also had 2 trackdays and a good amount of backroad activity on them; Michelin PS2's.

I also took a friend with me as he wanted to experience track driving. My goal was to see how much I've personally improved since I started tracking cars. To my surprise, I was able to go 3.1 seconds a lap faster than when these tires were much better but my skill was lower. Without him in the car, another second would be doable as I'd be comfortable pushing it harder and 200lbs less.

All in all, in many ways it was my most satisfying trackday yet because it really put into perspective what I've learned since I started this hobby. My goal has always been to improve myself so I've avoided performance mods. I know there are is still about 1.5 - 2.0 seconds left in the car at this particular track in terms of my absolute fastest time with a stock setup so my goal is to get within .5 seconds of that before I even consider a performance mod. My first mod will be getting better aero so I can get rid of this high speed front lift.

Here's a fun footage of letting a GT3 go by so I could get him on video and he could see the difference in our lines. The GT3 is beautiful btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxjKzpd-Ffw#t=381

Looking back, the biggest thing I've learned from backroads driving to track driving is braking deeper and not coasting. It's very common to have a gap between when you come off the throttle and hit the brakes for corner entry. What you're really doing is wasting time so you have to learn from going full throttle to maximum braking in as short of a time as possible. The other piece just as important is corner entry. On the street, you tend to enter slower to give yourself a cushion and avoid running wide. On the track, you're able to push that envelope more and more until your entry speeds are maximized.

My focus for next year will be to continue on the path above: avoid "wasting time" between transitions, brake deeper into the corner without sacrificing entry and mid corner speed. While there's always room for improvement, my mid corner and exit speeds are probably my biggest advantage compared to others. I get the car rotated without scrubbing off too much speed and then on the gas.

Great cars. But stay the hell away. Subframe issues plague virtually every model year. Early year cars had motor issues that would literally destroy the engine (spun bearing). Also, I believe, as is par for course for a BMW, VANOS issues too.

were there no permanent fix? and was this extended into say the 330ci?

AlphaSnake

were there no permanent fix? and was this extended into say the 330ci?

No, everything is bespoke to the M3. The two cars share virtually nothing in those regards. Subframe has no fix, it requires a new subframe which is a $10K+ job.

No, everything is bespoke to the M3. The two cars share virtually nothing in those regards. Subframe has no fix, it requires a new subframe which is a $10K+ job.

I assume 10k+ for a shop to do, a new one is going to be prone to the same failure eventually? whats the failure?

I assume 10k+ for a shop to do, a new one is going to be prone to the same failure eventually? whats the failure?

My friends car had cracking around the subframe mounting points. The second time it happened, I could see the separation, and for such an expensive car... You just shake your head.

I know that there are repair kits (see cheaper) from various aftermarket places, but I still wouldn't touch a E46 M3.

After the second fix, my friend sold it, and never bought another BMW again.

And like AlphaSnake mentioned... then there's VANOS engine fun you get to deal with (as well as rod bearings).

10K includes a new subframe from BMW and installation. The failure is structural. The car literally begins to tear apart at the rear.

Here's a better understanding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvyfSpHpx6A

holy shit, thats something I would expect on a Hyundai, not a BMW wtf.

So regular E46 3 series owners don't see this? a 330ci upgraded in power, doesn't get this effect?

do they no longer share the exact same chassis?

AlphaSnake

So regular E46 3 series owners don't see this? a 330ci upgraded in power, doesn't get this effect?

Ms are dramatically upgraded over any standard 3-series in regards to suspension components, down to the subframe. The general platform is the same, but much of what ends up bolted to the chassis differs.

The new M3 and M4 (F80s) have a unique chassis designation to a standard 3-series (F30s) this generation to kind of drive that point home.

Ms are dramatically upgraded over any standard 3-series in regards to suspension components, down to the subframe. The general platform is the same, but much of what ends up bolted to the chassis differs.

that seemed like chassis failure in that picture, which is shared between them. which is why I asked.
The new M3 and M4 (F80s) have a unique chassis designation to a standard 3-series (F30s) this generation to kind of drive that point home.

did the E9X series M3 have problems too?

TylerD

It was an issue on older non M E46s. Past 2002 it isn't really much of a concern but there are those that do add reinforcement when they increase power and it is something I would likely do on my 06 330ci ZHP if\when I go forced induction.

It was an issue on older non M E46s. Past 2002 it isn't really much of a concern but there are those that do add reinforcement when they increase power and it is something I would likely do on my 06 330ci ZHP if\when I go forced induction.

there is an 03 330ci I was looking at, the issue is only on 00 01 and 02? and an engine swap to an S54 isnt the route to go?

Gritesh

So I'm waiting for the 2016 sti now my dealer tells me that it should be getting a new center stack with the infotainment system.

My major first world problem now is which color should I go with.

I've narrowed it down to white and rally blue.

Crazy that the hp of this car now seems to be considered low now that we got 4 cylinder engines from other auto makers pumping out 350+hp.

Great time to be looking at a new car though.

So I'm waiting for the 2016 sti now my dealer tells me that it should be getting a new center stack with the infotainment system.

My major first world problem now is which color should I go with.

I've narrowed it down to white and rally blue.

Crazy that the hp of this car now seems to be considered low now that we got 4 cylinder engines from other auto makers pumping out 350+hp.

Great time to be looking at a new car though.

go white, too many WRB Imprezas on the road as is.

Top Bottom