• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
that seemed like chassis failure in that picture, which is shared between them. which is why I asked.

did the E9X series M3 have problems too?

Nah. E92s are built great. I'd get an LCI/facelifted model. There are some issues here and there which you can research on the forums, but nothing insane like the E46 M3.

FStop7

Banned
anyones opinion of the E46 M3?

Do you like replacing torn rear subframes?

Other than that... I had one, sold it, and missed it so much I bought another. They're great cars. But that subframe issue I think is a real concern (it's very expensive to repair) as the remaining E46s continue to age.

So I'm waiting for the 2016 sti now my dealer tells me that it should be getting a new center stack with the infotainment system.

My major first world problem now is which color should I go with.

I've narrowed it down to white and rally blue.

Crazy that the hp of this car now seems to be considered low now that we got 4 cylinder engines from other auto makers pumping out 350+hp.

Great time to be looking at a new car though.

my brother has a black 2015 and besides the blue, its one of the top colors for that car. and thats coming from someone who would never recommend black on any car.

white doesn't look as good on that car as blue though.

Jackson

Picked this up a couple of weeks back.Tons of fun. It's so planted it feels like a 4 wheel motorcycle. Test drove a bunch of other cars, but this won out.

so2KO4u.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Picked this up a couple of weeks back.Tons of fun. It's so planted it feels like a 4 wheel motorcycle. Test drove a bunch of other cars, but this won out.

oh my.

CONGRATS! That's a seriously awesome car.

Jackson

oh my.

CONGRATS! That's a seriously awesome car.

Actually one of the cars I test drove was from your OP... An F-Type R, but I wasn't feeling it. I was drooling over the looks but the power made the car way too nervous. I'm sure it's great at hooning around all the time, but if you want to be serious on a track day, or even in normal traffic I don't think this is the car for that. The V6 S might have been better... but it's the less crazy-cool model which is kind of what you want. :(

Also the interior wasn't as refined as it should be for a $110K Jag. Lots of plastic bits and kind of a messy button layout. Didn't feel elegant. A luxury sports car really should.

Still a hot car though. AWD version next year might fix that nervousness.

Wow that color looks great, not sure if it's just the lighting but that red looks really nice, almost orange.

Yeah, Guards Red has a bit of orange to it. It's not a deep red. I don't even like red cars! Typically I go for white or black. But this was just too good looking to pass up.

Also the interior wasn't as refined as it should be for a $110K Jag. Lots of plastic bits and kind of a messy button layout. Didn't feel elegant. A luxury sports car really should.

This is how I felt when I sat in the F Type. The interior refinement is on par with $50k cars.

Yeah, Guards Red has a bit of orange to it. It's not a deep red. I don't even like red cars! Typically I go for white or black. But this was just too good looking to pass up.

I'm a sucker for reddish orange paints. Congrats btw, Cayman is the best looking porsche (cleaner look than the 918 even).

Jackson

People forget this car STARTS as a $62K car in base trim. The interior is a $62K car's interior.

The base 981 Cayman starts at $50k :) But the GTS comes with all leather & alcantara trim. Or you can just order that trim as an option for the base model (Porsche is all about options). But yeah... it's lightyears ahead of the F-Type's interior.

But I suppose it's not fair because the Cayman sources a lot of its parts from the more expensive 911.

nice pick, I think the Cayman is a better car than the 911, porsche just holds it back.

I'm a sucker for reddish orange paints. Congrats btw, Cayman is the best looking porsche (cleaner look than the 918 even).

Thanks!

Yeah I think the 981 refreshed model with the GTS exterior upgrades (new front and rear bumpers) look great. A lot of non-car people keep thinking it's a $150+k car or something lol. Cayman lineup is pretty stealthy still. People know 911, Boxster and "that SUV", but they don't know about this car much apparently.

I think the front looks very similar to the 918 actually. Back is obviously way different.

how much was your GTS? did you get a deal? is it close to fully loaded?

that interior is awesome with alcantara. is alcantara an option on any 911?

Jackson

how much was your GTS? did you get a deal? is it close to fully loaded?

that interior is awesome with alcantara. is alcantara an option on any 911?

Out the door it was $100k (meaning base price + options + tax + reg fees) GTS line is their sport luxury line so it's fully loaded already. Which is cool it's $10k less than a base, barely loaded 911.

I got a pretty good deal, the Cayman GTS trim is rare so each dealer only gets allocated 1 or 2. I had to drive pretty far to pick this car up. The dealer optioned it out for best bang for the buck... mostly sport and luxury options. PTV, 18 way seats, stuff like that. All the GTS's I saw online were going for more than this one but didn't have all of the options I wanted. Also mine is a 6 speed MT, which is so fun!

Alcantara is standard above a certain trim line and optional on any trim. Porsches are built to be optioned out. Like everything is an option lol. It's nuts. I hear they make a killing that way.

Buddy picked up a Viper TA. Bad ass all around.

I'll rail it when I get back from vacation. Could be a tough choice for me between a C7Z and a Viper ACR in 2016. Good times.

Holy shit a clean CRX. I think I've seen more actual unicorns than those. Awesome!

Salt belt took care of almost all older Japanese cars, especially those that were prone to rust. My prelude is feeling it a bit now which is why I picked up this crx. Gives me a chance to get some of the bodywork done on the lude while not giving up on the go kart handling.

This thing just needs a few more jobs done and it'll be 100% restored.

http://imgur.com/a/F07vq

Has a few shots of what I'm talking about. Car is literally brand new. Can't wait to toss it around a bit this summer at some autox events. This thing is a dammed go kart especially with the HF steering rack and other goodies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Hnnnnnngggg

I doubt I'd fit in a CRX, but my god that car must be fun. Like a little go cart.

Beautiful car.

!

I feel like Honda pulled a fast one.

They're already selling the 2015 Civic Si. I bought my 2014 Civic Si in May - the car was released sometime in late February-March. They were difficult to find for a few months too.

I know 2015s usually show up at this time but they delivered the 2014s so late I feel like they pulled a fast one on me haha. The 2015 is identical to the 2014 it seems too, so it's just naming convention.

Oh well!

Lizardus

!

I feel like Honda pulled a fast one.

They're already selling the 2015 Civic Si. I bought my 2014 Civic Si in May - the car was released sometime in late February-March. They were difficult to find for a few months too.

I know 2015s usually show up at this time but they delivered the 2014s so late I feel like they pulled a fast one on me haha. The 2015 is identical to the 2014 it seems too, so it's just naming convention.

Oh well!

trade it in?

I'm looking for advice or recommendations on a compact, sub $20,000, manual transmission, with a quiet cabin and smooth ride. Technology isn't that big of a deal (all I want is a 3.5mm headphone jack in the stereo), and I don't care about 0-60 or power all that much except I want to be safe when driving/merging/etc. I currently drive a '02 Jetta and am looking at the '15 model, as well as the Mazda M3 since it is near the top of the lists in most car reviews.

Part of the problem I'm running into is professional reviews are almost always written on test drives of the most expensive models, so it's hard to suss out how the base models perform.

Nah, the 2015 is the exact same car. I might consider trading if the Type-R or Type-R engine comes to America next year though...

I hate that it's gonna be another 40k 4dr civic. Shame that we haven't had a hatchback civic since the 6th gen and even that was bastardized as a pure econo car. Really a shame at how much HoA has shafted us relative to the rest of the world.

So it turns out I'm getting played by my dealer or BMW has a shitty production system.

I ordered a car early October, was given a production # a few weeks later, and tracked the car using that number for weeks. The ship carrying that car arrived last week.

I call my dealer today to see whats up; Why he hasn't responded to my emails and why he hasn't called me considering my car should be on his lot this week.

Turns out, and this is his story after a "call to BMW", that my production # was changed by BMW to a later production slot since they have supply issues with the leather interior I chose.

Now I'm at January production when the original was 2 months prior. They're trying to tell me the car will be here in late January which I know is BS considering the 1.5 month cycle from production to delivery I just witnessed.

I've already bought new wheels and winter tires for the car or else I'd be looking elsewhere right now, plus I really want the car in the way I've specced it out; I can't find the same combo anywhere in the country.

This sucks.

Jackson

So it turns out I'm getting played by my dealer or BMW has a shitty production system.

I ordered a car early October, was given a production # a few weeks later, and tracked the car using that number for weeks. The ship carrying that car arrived last week.

I call my dealer today to see whats up; Why he hasn't responded to my emails and why he hasn't called me considering my car should be on his lot this week.

Turns out, and this is his story after a "call to BMW", that my production # was changed by BMW to a later production slot since they have supply issues with the leather interior I chose.

Now I'm at January production when the original was 2 months prior. They're trying to tell me the car will be here in late January which I know is BS considering the 1.5 month cycle from production to delivery I just witnessed.

I've already bought new wheels and winter tires for the car or else I'd be looking elsewhere right now, plus I really want the car in the way I've specced it out; I can't find the same combo anywhere in the country.

This sucks.

Well you're still getting the car right? Just a few weeks late (like 5 weeks or so). I guess it means your winter wheels will be used less, but it's not like they're scamming you out of cash or something right?

It sucks, but it could be worse. :)

Well you're still getting the car right? Just a few weeks late (like 5 weeks or so). I guess it means your winter wheels will be used less, but it's not like they're scamming you out of cash or something right?

It sucks, but it could be worse. :)

True, but it does sound a bit shady. Either the dealership screwed up while ordering or it got damaged during shipping or they sold it at a higher price to another of their customers.

Jackson

they sold it at a higher price to another of their customers.

I'd go with that one.

But other than some time lost, at least he's going to get the car. I wouldn't work with that dealer ever again, sure. But just saying it could be way worse and hopefully it's all straightened out for the next shipment.

Yes I still plan on staying with this build because reordering now with someone else would just slow things down for me.

And yes, I do believe they played a switcheroo with a preferred customer, but at the same time bmw corporate is telling me the production # i'd been tracking all this time doesnt even have my name or dealer tied to it.
That kind of annoyed me as I'd called them several times prior about the order and they never noticed that the person calling and the person listed for the production # aren't the same?

Really messy situation as far as I'm concerned.

I hate that it's gonna be another 40k 4dr civic. Shame that we haven't had a hatchback civic since the 6th gen and even that was bastardized as a pure econo car. Really a shame at how much HoA has shafted us relative to the rest of the world.

Is 40k how much the Type-R is going to be?

Is 40k how much the Type-R is going to be?

Considering the all show and no go Mugen version was 30k I wouldn't be surprised if a higher horsepower go fast CTR version gets up near 40k fully loaded. Safe to say 30k is a definite it can really only go up considering that was back in 2008.

Considering the all show and no go Mugen version was 30k I wouldn't be surprised if a higher horsepower go fast CTR version gets up near 40k fully loaded. Safe to say 30k is a definite it can really only go up considering that was back in 2008.

Huh. I would definitely not even consider it at 40k lol. I'd rather just get an IS350/RC for that money. Only reason I got the Si was because I was able to get it for 20k.

Pein

Banned
Alright, my credit is finally good enough to get a new car. I'm thinking evo x or sti.

I've been dreaming of a white evo x since I got my license, but the new q60 is coming soon and that might be a beast too.

TylerD

I'm looking for advice or recommendations on a compact, sub $20,000, manual transmission, with a quiet cabin and smooth ride. Technology isn't that big of a deal (all I want is a 3.5mm headphone jack in the stereo), and I don't care about 0-60 or power all that much except I want to be safe when driving/merging/etc. I currently drive a '02 Jetta and am looking at the '15 model, as well as the Mazda M3 since it is near the top of the lists in most car reviews.

Part of the problem I'm running into is professional reviews are almost always written on test drives of the most expensive models, so it's hard to suss out how the base models perform.

Edit this search to include your zip and send me a PM with the models it finds.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...issionCodes=MAN&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&Log=0

edit: Mazda 3 would be my choice.

Huh. I would definitely not even consider it at 40k lol. I'd rather just get an IS350/RC for that money. Only reason I got the Si was because I was able to get it for 20k.

It really depends on how much is really offered that is different from the current Si. Obviously I was overstating saying that it would literally be a 40k car but I do think 30k is more reasonable as a starting point. Realistically I would say it lands in the low to mid 30s depending on standard/options.

Mazda3 all the way. All trims have great equipment at very reasonable prices plus come w/ manual transmissions. They are fun to drive too. around this time you can get great deals on em too.

robox

for a garage queen, e30 m3
for a toy, ae86. because i would feel slightly less bad if it gets in a wreck
i'd consider the vanilla e30 to be on the same level as ae86 thoug

ameratsu

I feel like there can't be any reason that e30 m3s go for so much money other than people with more money than sense driving up prices. I don't doubt it's a wonderful driver's car but at some point it's pure absurdity. I feel the same about some american cars that go up for auction, as well.

Related to this, there was a very nice looking 1988 m635csi for auction at a Japanese auction house a few months back. Gorgeous metallic purple colour, left hand drive, alpina wheels, 4/b auction grade. Someone paid 1.9m yen (roughly $18k) for this car sight unseen. You'd also have to add on shipping, taxes, compliance, etc bringing the cost up near $25k-$30k easily for something that probably needs thousands in maintenance.

At that point i basically realized that monied enthusiasts have hard ons for old M cars are willing to pay out the nose to have something that will ultimately sit in their garages not being driven.

Top Bottom