• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

No Love

Banned
I feel like there can't be any reason that e30 m3s go for so much money other than people with more money than sense driving up prices. I don't doubt it's a wonderful driver's car but at some point it's pure absurdity. I feel the same about some ultra expensive american cars that go up for auction, as well.

Related to this, there was a very nice looking 1988 m635csi for auction at a Japanese auction house a few months back. Gorgeous metallic purple colour, left hand drive, alpina wheels, 4/b auction grade. Someone paid 1.9m yen for this car (roughly $18k) for this car sight unseen. You'd also have to add on shipping, taxes, compliance, etc bringing the cost up near $25k-$30k easily for something that probably needs thousands in maintenance.

At that point i basically realized that monied enthusiasts have hard ons for old M cars are willing to pay out the nose to have something that will ultimately sit in their garages not being driven.

Honestly, if you've never driven one (or an E30 at all), you wouldn't understand.

No Love

Banned
At what point would you say a classic car like this is too expensive relative to the driving experience it offers? $60k? $100k?

Honestly, I'd say it depends on your level of passion and wealth.

Frank Ocean, for example, has about 6 M3's of various generations and spent $80k+ having my friend's shop redo his E30 M3 fully loaded, with a supercharged S54 swap and everything.

Is it worth to spend around $100k for a gorgeous E30 M3 with massive upgrades and time put into it? To the right person, sure. :) Would some people rather spend $50k on an immaculate stock one? Of course. The beautiful thing about cars is that stock or modded, they can speak to many different people in many various ways. I personally feel that some cars are an engineering artform and should be treated as such.

No Love

Banned
at this point would it make more sense to buy a regular E30 and convert or modify it if you want to drive the thing regularly?

Yes. Regular E30's are super expensive though (for how old they are).

I highly recommend finding a clean already swapped E30 with an M50/M52/S50/S52 swapped in. Those motors are perfect in an E30. Plus, you'll only spend a few thousand more than some stock car that hasn't been taken care of as nicely as something that's modded/swapped.

r3vlimited.com is your absolute best bet for E30 info/buying E30's/discussing E30's.

Yes. Regular E30's are super expensive though (for how old they are).

I highly recommend finding a clean already swapped E30 with an M50/M52/S50/S52 swapped in. Those motors are perfect in an E30. Plus, you'll only spend a few thousand more than some stock car that hasn't been taken care of as nicely as something that's modded/swapped.
IDK I have been seeing them around the 1.5k range last time I looked, have they jumped in price substantially lately?

r3vlimited.com is your absolute best bet for E30 info/buying E30's/discussing E30's.
Yea been doing the car specific forums for awhile, wish I could find a good general car talk forum.

robox

I feel like there can't be any reason that e30 m3s go for so much money other than people with more money than sense driving up prices. I don't doubt it's a wonderful driver's car but at some point it's pure absurdity. I feel the same about some american cars that go up for auction, as well.

for the same reasons artworks, first edition magic cards and prototype nes games are expensive. rarity, cultural value, and having money to burn to own such things. you can't be so dense as to not realize there's a whole history to this practice and it doesn't just apply to cars.

Just curious on taste in here

but AE86 GTS or E30 M3?

AE86.

Cheaper to maintain, easier to drive and Initial D.

Honestly if I grew up loving the E30 I would've swung that way, but nah my uncle had a bone stock AE85 Levin that was just awesome and then I got exposed to Initial D 15 years ago and just fell in love with it.

Of course I understand the E30's prestige and all that but it just doesn't excite me as much as an AE86. Like I see one and I'm like ooooh E30, but when I see an AE86, let's just say I need a new pair of underwear after.

That said, if we're talking about 80's-90's cars, forget about everything and just hand me an FD RX-7 Spirit R. I wouldn't need anything else in the world after that.

but AE86 GTS

or E30 M3?

I'd take the AE86, over the M3.

Some of the best fun I've had on the track (or controlled environment) in my early years was in a friends Trueno. It had a 20v swap with ITB's and man did it sound awesome when you got on it. Nimble handling, with great feedback.

I know I've got a bit of a Japanese car bias, but like I said... It's got a soft spot with me, and that's cool with me.

I daily an 86 coupe and love it to pieces but even I'd choose to take the M3. Come on, guys. The two cars aren't in the same league.

But as a simple matter of taste... uh, yeah, still prefer the M3.

Malvingt2

but AE86 GTS
XJG+Trueno.jpg

or E30 M3?
imgp7692.jpg

Initial D.

I'd still take the AE86 tbh.

I fully understand the E30's prestige and all that high and mighty shit, but that's kinda why I don't like it over the AE86. You have to realize the prestige of it before you find it cool. It can do all the donuts and drifts in the world, it's still a BMW unless you learn of it's prestige.

Whereas an AE86, there's nothing immediately cool about it either, it looks boring as fnck but when you flip up those headlights, and start doing donuts and drifts... it's a fncking Toyota that drifts!! There's no prestige about it, there's nothing high and mighty about it... just a goddamn Toyota that's doing burnouts because it can.

You look at an E30 doing any hooning and you immediately think the driver is an asshole for ruining a great car. Fnck that, I want a car that I can thrash around have fun, not some garage queen that'll just burn money.

TL;DR: If you want a car that you can actually have fun in then AE86, otherwise stick with the E30 garage queen.

Jackson

Yeah, V6 Twin Turbo Hybrid.

Wondering about the cost because Honda is setting it up as a 458 competitor.

I'm thinking ~$130k maybe with options pushing it to $150k. No way it's anywhere near 458 prices. They're targeting the GTR tuner audience not the Italian super car audience.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm thinking ~$130k maybe with options pushing it to $150k. No way it's anywhere near 458 prices. They're targeting the GTR tuner audience not the Italian super car audience.

F458 performance for Audi R8 money has been thrown around.

So yeah, I'd say $130K base sounds about right.

Unless they're referring to the R8 V10.

FStop7

Banned
Somewhere along the line of the past 12 months I've lost my love for virtually every car made after 1999.

I don't know what happened.

All I want now is something like a 94 964 Turbo 3.6. Or a plain jane 1998 993 C2.

Or even better, a 70s 911S or 911T.

What happened to me?

I get it. Older cars just have a raw feeling to them that is gone in current cars. Yes they are all safer and more efficient etc, but many modern feel bland.

Somewhere along the line of the past 12 months I've lost my love for virtually every car made after 1999.

I don't know what happened.

All I want now is something like a 94 964 Turbo 3.6. Or a plain jane 1998 993 C2.

Or even better, a 70s 911S or 911T.

What happened to me?

You became a man.

PS - You missed the boat. I'm looking at 911Ts and their prices have jumped $10-15k since last year. Even my SC has jumped up from $17.5 to probably mid-to-high twenties.

Let's hope the nsx isn't anything like the other Japanese sports car.

We don't need another overweight, one lap wonder that goes through consumables like a Texan at a buffet.

I get it. Older cars just have a raw feeling to them that is gone in current cars. Yes they are all safer and more efficient etc, but many modern feel bland.

Exactly my thoughts. For a weekend car, I'd want it to be as raw and have direct feeling as much as possible. For daily, I'd want as much safety, reliability, and efficiency as much as possible.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
merry christmas to me! looks like i'm getting my evo sooner than i thought (13 GSR, white). pics soon, hopefully

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Which is the worst car commercial trope? Beautiful wife receiving bow topped Lexus for Christmas, or four cool club kids wearing masks driving around the city for no reason? Or clueless car buyer hearing simplicity of zero Apr at dealer?

ameratsu

Which is the worst car commercial trope? Beautiful wife receiving bow topped Lexus for Christmas, or four cool club kids wearing masks driving around the city for no reason? Or clueless car buyer hearing simplicity of zero Apr at dealer?

Without question it's the advertised car being driven on deserted streets. Doesn't matter if it's in the city or or some windy country road, there will never be any traffic, just the vehicle in question powering though whatever.

2000lbs with 130hp and 2800lbs with 190hp

both RWD 4cyls

how do they both not compare?

In order for you to see that they don't compare, you must first be realistic.

The USDM 16v 4A-GE in my GT-S coupe was rated at 112 hp when brand new (I'd be surprised if it puts out 100+ now). It never saw and will never see 130 hp without extensive work. Torque number is double-digits. Next, show me a 2,000 lb GT-S and I'll show you a car on a healthy diet. Mine is lightly stripped, A/C and heat fully removed, and weighs just under 2,300 wet and empty. It's light, but let's not get carried away. The USDM E30 M3 is rated at 192hp/170 lb/ft brand new at 2,800 pounds well-equipped. That's over 70% more hp and 90% more torque at only 20% more weight. That's why the M3 will reach 60 MPH around 2 seconds faster. Then there's independent rear suspension. M3 has it. 86 doesn't. What the 86's rear end does have is all the elegance of a small pickup. Granted, that makes it fun to dick around in, but if we're comparing performance, you have to understand that its road-holding capability is absolutely trounced by the M3. When you bring things like build quality into the mix, the M3 pulls ahead even farther. Some of you may romanticize the 86 a bit too much. A well-preserved 86 without several thousand dollars of aftermarket goodies won't hold even the smallest candle to a well-preserved stock E30 M3.

No Love

Banned
In order for you to see that they don't compare, you must first be realistic.

The USDM 16v 4A-GE in my GT-S coupe was rated at 112 hp when brand new (I'd be surprised if it puts out 100+ now). It never saw and will never see 130 hp without extensive work. Torque number is double-digits. Next, show me a 2,000 lb GT-S and I'll show you a car on a healthy diet. Mine is lightly stripped, A/C and heat fully removed, and weighs just under 2,300 wet and empty. It's light, but let's not get carried away. The USDM E30 M3 is rated at 192hp/170 lb/ft brand new at 2,800 pounds well-equipped. That's over 70% more hp and 90% more torque at only 20% more weight. That's why the M3 will reach 60 MPH around 2 seconds faster. Then there's independent rear suspension. M3 has it. 86 doesn't. What the 86's rear end does have is all the elegance of a small pickup. Granted, that makes it fun to dick around in, but if we're comparing performance, you have to understand that its road-holding capability is absolutely trounced by the M3. When you bring things like build quality into the mix, the M3 pulls ahead even farther. Some of you may romanticize the 86 a bit too much. A well-preserved 86 without several thousand dollars of aftermarket goodies won't hold even the smallest candle to a well-preserved stock E30 M3.

100% true and extremely well-put. Bravo.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

I personally hate the fake "performance test" commercials where they let a bunch of people drive a car on a track and record them being impressed. Altima, Camry, Fusion, etc. they're all guilty of it.

It's such a shit show. Clearly they're not going to air a commercial with people who were indifferent to the car.

I personally hate the fake "performance test" commercials where they let a bunch of people drive a car on a track and record them being impressed. Altima, Camry, Fusion, etc. they're all guilty of it.

The worst. Satan will loop "Grounded to the ground" in hell.

The Altima "race car" commercial is especially heartbreaking.

Chromax

Hi AutoGAF, my first time posting here!

About 8 month ago I posted this in the pick--up thread in the form of a down payment. Today I finally received the call to pick up the car. Someone back then told me to head over here once I get it.

So here it is, my 2015 Lamborghini Huracan LP610-4 in Verde Mantis color.

PICT_20141220_161428.jpg

IMG_20141220_220242.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

Top Bottom