• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Alpha: "The 370z gearbox/clutch is great!!! if you mod the clutch, change the gear oil, lube up the synchros, shift it just right..."

lol it sucks, don't be a Nissan apologist ;P

30 seconds of work on the clutch is not being an apologist. The options are right there, literally in front of you to adjust.

Ugh, helper springs. They are the most unbearable little devices--completely ruin the linearity of the clutch. My 996 had one and until I pulled it out I always ran the risk of stalling at lights. Once it was out it was h-e-a-v-y but it felt so much better and I could walk it through the engagement point smooth as butter. It also had the added bonus of being impossible for my ex to drive.

Yeah, they're rather stupid. The first 2/3rds are smooth and then suddenly there's this sudden resistance. It's completely counter intuitive, especially with muscle memory involved.

AlphaSnake

Ever think about just DynaMatting the crap out of the interior?

It primarily needed the rear cabin matted. But it was honestly not worth the time, money, labor, and effort to do the whole car. Plus it'd have added more weight than I cared to add - around 80lbs. And even then, no guarantee how happy I'd have been with the results.

Smokey

I found a track!!

They allow convertibles omg ;___;

Those that have done track days before ...they offer a driving instruction course for those who have never driven on a track before. an instructor is with you in your car on the track. For half day instruction it's $500.For 2 half days it's $750. Is this a lot or about for this type of course?

I've never been on a track so for me this is like a pre requisite.

Jackson

And wiiiiide. What did you think about the sound? I was pleasantly surprised.

Dude it's so wiiiiide lol. It reminded me of a piece of white bread. Like it the body was almost perfectly square. It was as wide as it was long and the front was round... like a piece of white bread! For a 4 banger it sounded incredible. Way meaner than I thought. Probably the best sounding 4 banger I've ever heard. Way better than like an STI with a can on it.

Edit: Thanks for weighing in Jackson. Are you trading up for one? I'm glad I didn't order a GTS now. lol

I dunno. I might. Good news is I got 6 months to make up my mind and drive my GTS around while I wait for the GT4. So it's best of both worlds. Honestly, the GTS and GT4 are very similar, one is more track focused, the other is more sport luxury focused. The amazing exhaust note is the same, the GT4 is 30mm lower than the stock Cayman and the GTS is 20mm lower (the S is 10mm lower). I didn't buy the ceramic brake options on the GTS because it's too pricey for street use, but I'd get it on the GT4.... because reasons lol. I'd track my GTS just as much as my GT4. Also do I want race seats in a DD (a must for a dedicated track car)? I dunno if I want a big fat race wing on my DD either. If it was integrated it'd be fine, but it's affixed like an aftermarket wing. Looks a bit cheap to be honest, but still badass on a track. ;) So... I'm conflicted haha

Between my family, superbike, sports car and sports boat my nice weather days are packed so I'll make it to the track maybe once a month? Doubtfully more than twice a month lol. So I dunno... I do wish the GTS had 400hp though. :) Funny that the torque is the same in both models though.

Anyway I got time to figure it out. :) If you order the car and you don't want it, you kill the order, get your money back... car still comes... dealer puts it up for sale. No loss.

I found a track!!

You have a roll bar though right? Please don't go on a track without a roll bar. It's like driving without a seat belt. If you flip, doesn't even have to be a full 180 flip, you will be crushed into bonemeal and your family will have to identify you by your dental records from the one molar that didn't get smashed into dust.

Smokey

You have a roll bar though right? Please don't go on a track without a roll bar. It's like driving without a seat belt. If you flip, doesn't even have to be a full 180 flip, you will be crushed into bonemeal and your family will have to identify you by your dental records from the one molar that didn't get smashed into dust.

Lmao
Hype deflate

It's a 335i convert

Edit: doing some reading...days e93 has a rollover protection system ? I really don't want to die

Http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488902

personally it's not even about the bargain for me. it's a childhood thing. I've never even driven one. I could easily try an old one out but nah. For me I've always waited for the interior to catch up to the exterior and performance. It finally did with the c7.

When I finally get into a c7 I dunno what kind of feels I'll get.

Corvettes feel ridiculous to me. When I sit in them my first thought is always "how does anyone expect me to see where I'm going?" You sit far too low for how long the hood is, the cockpit feels like a coffin, and I can never find a proper seating position. I guess it's the same sort of thing as people complaining about older Lamborghinis having the "Italian Bull" seating position, just feels wrong.

I've always preferred 911s, and once you get used to their forward seating position, more open cockpit and direct view of the road ahead it's really hard to go to the corvette. In short: you can look right down the nose of a 911 and watch the pavement get sucked under the car; in the corvette you just get a sense that some where ahead, out in the unknowable beyond, the car has a bumper.

To be fair it's a lot better in the C7 than the C6, and holy shit both beat the C3 and C4 by a mile, but it just doesn't feel right to me.

No Love

Banned

Lmao
Hype deflate

It's a 335i convert

Edit: doing some reading...days e93 has a rollover protection system ? I really don't want to die

Http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488902

You don't need a rollbar. And in a convertible, they usually won't let you track with the top down. You need the top up.

Don't bother with an E93 on the track. The extra 400 lbs, chassis flex, and lack of LSD = garbage track experience.

Smokey

You don't need a rollbar. And in a convertible, they usually won't let you track with the top down. You need the top up.

Don't bother with an E93 on the track. The extra 400 lbs, chassis flex, and lack of LSD = garbage track experience.

I'm probably go to try it. I have nothing to compare it to. I already know the added weight makes it not that appealing (to people who know better) but again I don't have anything to base it on.

No Love

Banned
I'm probably go to try it. I have nothing to compare it to. I already know the added weight makes it not that appealing (to people who know better) but again I don't have anything to base it on.

Well you also lack LSD which means when you try to put the power down in corners, you're going to be peg-legging one wheel down the track.

Jackson

You need a rollbar if you're in a soft top convertible and have no popup roll hoops like most modern day convertibility sports cars. They won't allow you on the track. They won't even allow you in autocross. Too much liability. I know an E93 has back seats and thus no direct driver protection. But I forgot that that E93 was a hardtop (E46 was softtop). So it should probably be able to support the car's weight fine... Though I'd make sure on the forums first if I was Smokey.

I found a track!!

Those that have done track days before ...they offer a driving instruction course for those who have never driven on a track before. an instructor is with you in your car on the track. For half day instruction it's $500.For 2 half days it's $750. Is this a lot or about for this type of course?

If your car has a hardtop or rollover protection, then you should be fine. Convertibles with soft tops will need roll hoop or roll bars.

That price seems a bit expensive, but it also depends what kind of instruction and what track. Every track that I've been to around here (Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Thunderhill) are usually an extra $100-150 extra for driver instruction on top of the $100-200 entry fee. Usually those instructors will just tell you when/where to brake and give it gas. They'll progress later throughout the day with driving lines. $500-$750 track day instructions are usually for something like in house track driving schools or Hooked On Driving events.

Evo X

I found a track!!

Since you are bringing your own car, that seems overpriced by about $200, but if you have no other options, guess there isn't much you can do. E93 will be fine on the track, it's a hardtop vert. Only thing you should be concerned about are your brakes fading. Check your pad levels and flush some quality fluid in there.

I dunno. I might. Good news is I got 6 months to make up my mind and drive my GTS around while I wait for the GT4. So it's best of both worlds. Honestly, the GTS and GT4 are very similar, one is more track focused, the other is more sport luxury focused. The amazing exhaust note is the same, the GT4 is 30mm lower than the stock Cayman and the GTS is 20mm lower (the S is 10mm lower). I didn't buy the ceramic brake options on the GTS because it's too pricey for street use, but I'd get it on the GT4.... because reasons lol. I'd track my GTS just as much as my GT4. Also do I want race seats in a DD (a must for a dedicated track car)? I dunno if I want a big fat race wing on my DD either. If it was integrated it'd be fine, but it's affixed like an aftermarket wing. Looks a bit cheap to be honest, but still badass on a track. ;) So... I'm conflicted haha

Between my family, superbike, sports car and sports boat my nice weather days are packed so I'll make it to the track maybe once a month? Doubtfully more than twice a month lol. So I dunno... I do wish the GTS had 400hp though. :) Funny that the torque is the same in both models though.

Anyway I got time to figure it out. :) If you order the car and you don't want it, you kill the order, get your money back... car still comes... dealer puts it up for sale. No loss.

I can understand if you don't want to lose a lot of money trading in your new car, but think you're downplaying the differences quite a bit. I'd say GTS to GT4 is a much bigger jump than Base to S or S to GTS.

More aggressive aero/body, 60 more HP, lighter wheels, suspension/brakes straight off the legendary GT3. Also, don't know where you are getting that the torque is the same. The GT4 actually has 30 more throughout a wider powerband. It's still got all the creature comforts of the lower tier Caymans as well so I don't see how it will be any worse of a DD.

The brakes are already overkill for this car and there is no need to get the carbons. They are massive 380mm 6-piston Brembo monoblocs. If they can put up with the track abuse on a nearly 500HP GT3, they will be just fine for this. You can also opt for the standard GTS seats if you don't think the carbon buckets will be comfortable for you. They are certainly supportive enough.

And when it comes to the admittedly large wing, I doubt strangers will mock you for it. It's not an economy car, it's a fucking Porsche GT. You can get the supports painted in body color instead of black if you don't want it to stand out as much.

I'm getting mine in white. If you get yours in red, and mashoutposse gets it in blue, we'll have the American flag! lol

You need a rollbar if you're in a soft top convertible and have no popup roll hoops like most modern day convertibility sports cars. They won't allow you on the track. They won't even allow you in autocross. Too much liability.

Yep, I haven't checked lately the autocross rules lately coz the SCCA rulebook is the most confusing shit I've read in this entire planet. For example, I'm supposed to be in C-street(used to be C-stock) because I don't have a roll bar, but since I swapped my shocks/springs that should put me in STR against all the S2K's and other stupid fast Miatas but again I don't have a roll bar so I'm only allowed in C-street. So basically, I can't participate in official SCCA sanctioned events unless I upgrade my rollbar/swap my shocks/springs back to stock or keep participating in the novice group.

But, that's if you strictly follow SCCA rules to the T or go to a SCCA sanctioned event. There's clubs out there that don't necessarily follow SCCA rules and I'm able to participate in the appropriate class.

Smokey try autocross first before you hit up a track. It's slow and short but it's a pretty good learning experience imo. I've been meaning to get at it myself but the first event that I can actually participate is a month away so we'll see lol.

It is a very, very good idea to do a track class your first time out. Not only will you learn to push the car safely, working with an instructor will show you the limits of the car, not just yourself.

As for the price it depends on the track and the quality of instruction. $750 doesn't sound too bad for two half days. Regardless, it will be worth it if you want to improve your driving. I did the three-day course and licensing course at Mid-Ohio with their instructors and holy fucking wow did I ever get better.

Smokey

All valid points thank you all.

Msrhouston.com is what I found earlier if yall are cuirous. Maybe I missed something when I was looking at work today.

Somebody mentioned autocross? What's that all about?

Gritesh

10948694_432209940259696_416877863_n.jpg

Just wanted to put this here.

Despite the fragile EJ257, I'm fucking loving this car.

Jackson

I can understand if you don't want to lose a lot of money trading in your new car, but think you're downplaying the differences quite a bit. I'd say GTS to GT4 is a much bigger jump than Base to S or S to GTS.

More aggressive aero/body, 60 more HP, lighter wheels, suspension/brakes straight off the legendary GT3. Also, don't know where you are getting that the torque is the same. The GT4 actually has 30 more throughout a wider powerband. It's still got all the creature comforts of the lower tier Caymans as well so I don't see how it will be any worse of a DD.

The brakes are already overkill for this car and there is no need to get the carbons. They are massive 380mm 6-piston Brembo monoblocs. If they can put up with the track abuse on a nearly 500HP GT3, they will be just fine for this. You can also opt for the standard GTS seats if you don't think the carbon buckets will be comfortable for you. They are certainly supportive enough.

And when it comes to the admittedly large wing, I doubt strangers will mock you for it. It's not an economy car, it's a fucking Porsche GT. You can get the supports painted in body color instead of black if you don't want it to stand out as much.

I'm getting mine in white. If you get yours in red, and mashoutposse gets it in blue, we'll have the American flag! lol

I'd totally get mine in Guards Red again. :) Love that color now.

I'm not intentionally trying to downplay it. One is a track focused version of the Cayman, the other is supposed to be the ultimate sport luxury version of the Cayman. That's the difference.The GTS is supposed to be the best blend of comfort and sporty road driving. The other is supposed to be at home on the track. That's why it's lower, has a giant wing, bigger intake inlets, bigger brakes with stickier tires and stiffer suspension. More HP/toque too.GTS comes with PZeros, GT4 comes with PSC2's which is much better traction, but louder road noise. Stiffer, louder road noise, lower (scrapping) = worse on roads. Probably not insanely worse! We had a guy in this thread say his Evo 9's ride felt great! (he's delusional btw :p) Will you as a person who doesn't give a crap about DD quality over perf care? Nope. You're a car nut! Will you wife/gf? Yes. when I took my mom in a Gallardo she was like my back hurts haha. It was a short ride too... But does that matter to you I dunno? Probably not lol. Will it get old for me? I dunno... probably not.

I swear I read somewhere early it had 280ft/lbs of torque like the GTS, (which I thought was weird) but I looked it up on their site and it says 310. My mistake.

Sure, if you plan to track it a lot carbon ceramics are the way to go. If you DD a lot standard brakes are fine. Carbon ceramic brakes aren't good because they making braking better. They're good because they offer heat resilience and thus keep their performance lap after lap. Steel can't replicate the lack of brake fade carbon ceramic can. Also they're way lighter. So... I dunno it's up in the air for me. I'd be upgrading to a track focused car... so ceramic brakes might be the thing to do. Or not...

I have the 18-way seats right now... But I think I want the bucket seats hehe.

BTW -- No one knows what a GT4 is (or a GT3), only car nuts. Heck no one knows what a Cayman is... People don't know I've got "the cheap Porsche". I mean, I've had people ask me if my Porsche is a Lambo or a Ferrari lol. I've had people ask if my car cost $200k. The average person will think you're in a supercar or something. They all think its a gorgeous car though. Or maybe with the wing they'll think you're being some ghetto racecar driver wanna-be like modded civic haha. But is what it is. Let them think that. :)

As for the money lost? I'm not sure how much I'd lose. Not too much. Nothing that would bug me at least. And like I said I get to drive this car up until that point anyway! Is it worth the hassle to upgrade? When I want to upgrade again in a couple of year to a 650S Sypder or 488 GTB or something? Probably! haha

My dealer said no one has been given allocation numbers yet, so the "build" I gave them is fake and I can swap out it any time until it becomes real.

Evo X

Just wanted to put this here.

Despite the fragile EJ257, I'm fucking loving this car.

Yes! Snow driving is the best. Here's some empty parking lot shenanigans from last year.

Will you as a person who doesn't give a crap about DD quality over perf care? Nope. You're a car nut! Will you wife/gf? Yes. when I took my mom in a Gallardo she was like my back hurts haha. It was a short ride too... But does that matter to you I dunno? Probably not lol. Will it get old for me? I dunno... probably not.

I have the 18-way seats right now... But I think I want the bucket seats hehe.

Don't have a wife, but I suppose I can use this car as a litmus test on dates. If she likes the bucket seats and exhaust noise, she's a keeper! lol.

I am number 2 on the list at my dealer. He said I have until allocation date to configure my car. Might go see him this weekend to finalize the options.

He strongly advised against the bucket seats for something that's going to be mainly a street car. Says they are very annoying to get in and out of due to the heavy bolstering. But, I've never been one to take practical advice, so we'll see. lol

Here's my preliminary config. What do you think?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PG78AXS3

Compared to DirtFish prices that's a steal.

dankir

What about monsters like the Brabus E V12? It was going 205 mph back in 1996 and a later Version from 2009 goes 230.

The actual Brabus 850 is at 217. It even comes as Station Wagon if you want ;-)

I would say stock production car available today. I mean there's tons of tuner sedans that output more and are quicker.

All valid points thank you all.

Msrhouston.com is what I found earlier if yall are cuirous. Maybe I missed something when I was looking at work today.

Somebody mentioned autocross? What's that all about?

Autocross is a waste of time. Typically you get 3-5 runs for the whole day, with each run last about 1 minute long. Most of the times you'll also have to work the course.

Fun the first few times around, but cost:track time is not worth it imo.

Evo X

Another GT4 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbZG3iUl5rk

Got word directly from Porsche corporate today. Car will only be produced for 2 years, 600 cars per year.

If you haven't put a deposit down by now, you are probably out of luck. 4 people placed an order after me today at my dealership, and they have stopped taking deposits because they don't think they can meet demand.

Edit: Jackson, it comes with a coil over suspension that is fully adjustable for height and stiffness if you need to convince the wife. :D

AlphaSnake

So I've had the absolutely delightful pleasure of driving a 2015 Chevrolet Impala LTZ V6 for the past day, while my Jaguar is getting its scheduled maintenance done. And here I am writing about this absolutely wonderful experience, trying to figure out whether it's italics or bolding that works better when trying to convey sarcasm?

I could've waited for a Jaguar or Infiniti loaner car, but they had this Ashen Grey LTZ V6 that I told my wife to just take since she needed to go to work and since it was not a particularly bad looking car, either. In fact, it's rather nice. And therein lies our first mistake: the proverbial book cover.

2014-impala-model-overview-exterior-cnt-well-1-980X476-02-1.jpg

So where to begin? You walk around the outside of the car and it's got nice little bits and bobs that stand out. It's big. It's long. Nice bi-xenons. Sculpted slabs of sheet metal give it a brawny look. And quite frankly, I've long wanted to sample this "New GM" and their products, so what better way with one of the companies most revered names? The Impala. A loaded one at that, with a 305HP V6 out of the Camaro (well, sort of).

I jump in and I'm immediately greeted by this downright hideous slab of veneer plastic around the shifter and center console. It is one of the saddest textured pieces of plastic I've ever seen. It doesn't even seem like it's trying to look like wood...or anything resembling wood. I've seen eBay dash kits that glue onto old Maximas and Accords that did a more convincing job and probably even used better material quality. To call the veneer in this car "dull" would be an insult to the word. Then you realize how tacky the veneer is, and I actually mean the word literally...it's tacked on. I could stick my pinky underneath its gap or insert a card under the veneer.

Have I rambled about the cheapness of the interior enough? I have more. You touch the center console and it creaks. Nudge it a little bit and every plastic bit shrieks as if the car's lived the life of a 300,000 mile New York City taxi, as opposed to the 4000 mile Florida car that it is. Seriously, we don't have pot holes or torn up roads here. This is just how shoddy the build quality and materials that make this car are. And again, we're talking about a loaded car with a nicely sized touch-screen in the console, not a bargain bin stripper.

You look ahead of you and you're greeted with two very familiar, very blue, and hideously outdated gauges that look like they were ripped off a Chevy product from the 1990s. The steering wheel is an ergonomic mess, as is the rest of the interior with its clusterfuck of buttons and downright offensive infotainment unit that has the touch response speed of an ATM from Uzbekistan. The base sound system (Bose is optional) is probably the worst I've heard since my 1993 Ford Tempo. Why does this car even give me the option to adjust bass and treble if it doesn't have any of it? And this isn't just me spitting out hyperbole, either. I turned the volume all the way up...and it was basically just muddy mids, not one bit of shake from the bass no matter the genre of song. I was convinced the speakers were shot, but I pressed my ear to them all and verified that this car has just about the worst audio money can buy. Truthfully, my mother's base 2010 VW Rabbit had better audio than this Impala.

But my senses tell me to look at this car as an appliance first. Does this do the job of transporting its owner from point to point? Yes. But so do mules and modern societies don't ride on mules anymore. There must be something redeeming about this car, though...right? Well, yes. Somewhat. The motor is solid. It's got good grunt. Not a whole lot of low-end torque to carry this 4100lb behemoth of a car, but the horsepower can still sling it with proper momentum you're not likely to call "slow". The 6-speed transmission shifts adequately, but in slower traffic conditions it can be dumb and jerky occasionally.

This car also has, without question, the stupidest use and implementation of a 'manual mode' I've ever seen. Instead of paddle shifters or even shifting using the shift knob, instead there is a little button atop the gear selector. Well, it's actually two buttons - up and down - taking up about 1 inch of space. So you shift using your thumb and press the buttons. It's downright peculiar and ridiculously stupid. Not to mention pointless.

Also, its FWD characteristics are blatantly obvious through the mushy steering wheel, which is supposed to be electric, but somehow manages to retain its terrible and rubbery on-center feel, making it very clear you're driving a boat and not a car. Don't try doing anything cute with this car on the road, because it has communicative feel of an emotional teenager whose ran out of makeup to aggravate his parents with. The fact that this car's electric steering so desperately tries to remind me that this is a front-wheel driven car made me wish that Chevrolet did more to disconnect the steering "feel".

But that's not even the worst of it. The worst of all this is the price tag. An astounding $37,000 including the destination charge. You can ring up a few other options such as guided cruise control, sunroof, etc. and the final tally is over the $40,000 mark. 40,000! For a mule propelled by gasoline. Nothing about this car remotely justifies such a price tag, especially when for that kind of coin you can have yourself a BMW 328i, an Audi A4, and an assortment of other vehicles with far more refinement, pedigree, and prestige. Granted the Impala is a larger car, with more storage, and a plush ride, but it's a car destined to sit on the paved garages of rental lots everywhere. And this is supposed to be one of the hallmarks for the "New GM"?

While it may look brutish and sleek on the outside, the interior is just a nightmare of parts-bin assembly complete with lifeless materials, bland decor, shoddy build quality, a stereo system that would've been better off excluded, hideous steering wheel, and poor ergonomics. Even the base stripper car rings out to nearly $28,000 and for the life of me I'll never understand why.

AlphaSnake

I'll never understand why someone would buy this over an Accord or something.

The Altimas, Accords, Camrys, Sonatas, et al., are one size smaller than the Impala which is meant to compete against the Avalon, Maxima, and Taurus. But to your point, it really doesn't make any sense to own these larger cars when their smaller variants have more than enough capacity for a family and all of their shit to fit in the trunk.

The new Accords are especially well done.

Edit: Sometimes I genuinely enjoy driving bad cars because seeing the other side of this industry is truly hilarious.

Evo X

Sometimes I genuinely enjoy driving bad cars because seeing the other side of this industry is truly hilarious.

lol, this is a great point. I drove a PT Cruiser once 7 years ago, and from that point on, the criticisms I have of my cars are much more reserved.

Autocross is a waste of time. Typically you get 3-5 runs for the whole day, with each run last about 1 minute long. Most of the times you'll also have to work the course.

Fun the first few times around, but cost:track time is not worth it imo.

Where do you go that you pay out of the ass for autocross?

The club I autocross with charges $40 per event, they've got 8 events out of the year so $320 for the full year... and that's if you want to do all events.

The HPDE's around me start around $300 per event. The cheapest track(Eagles Canyon) around me charges $2750 as the initiation fee, plus $25 monthly fee, then when you get on the track, it's $100 a day. The closest track(Cresson Motorsport Ranch) around me charges $3700 for the initiation fee, $90 monthly fee and $20 for half-hour session.

Amazingly enough even the BMW and Porsche clubs here in DFW run their own autocross events since track days are fncking expensive over here... and they still have somebody sponsoring these autocross events. Seriously, the cheapest way you can get on a track besides HPDE's is to start a LeMons team.

Sure you work the course and it's only a minute per session but it's the cheapest way to get some thrill without paying out of the ass for a track day or a traffic citation.

This car also has, without question, the stupidest use and implementation of a 'manual mode' I've ever seen. Instead of paddle shifters or even shifting using the shift knob, instead there is a little button atop the gear selector. Well, it's actually two buttons - up and down - taking up about 1 inch of space. So you shift using your thumb and press the buttons. It's downright peculiar and ridiculously stupid. Not to mention pointless.

Lol you probably should stay away from their trucks and SUV's...

2014_chevrolet_silverado-1500_shifter_lt_110113_600.jpg

The saddest thing about the manual mode, most people don't even know it exists.

Where do you go that you pay out of the ass for autocross?

The club I autocross with charges $40 per event, they've got 8 events out of the year so $320 for the full year... and that's if you want to do all events.

Haven't autocrossed in quite a while, but it used to be $20-30 for events here. Maybe I'm spoiled with a bunch of tracks in the vicinity (Laguna Seca, Infineon/Sonoma, Thunderhill, Willow Springs, Buttonwillow) and a whole bunch of different clubs. Here's the average breakdown from what I'm used to paying. Most of the clubs here charge about $15-25/year membership.

AutoX:
$20-30
5 runs x 1 minute = 5 minutes of AutoX time

Track:
$100-200
5 runs x 20 minutes = 100 minutes of track time

Most I've ever paid for a track day was $300 at Laguna Seca because limited to a small amount of entries.

Smokey,

Call or email the track organizer and confirm your car is eligible for the track incase you are uncertain about your convertible. Don't listen to anyone else, you know why? Becuase it's the track day organizers ultimate decision, not us people on the intent.

Once confirmed make sure your tires, brakes and other fluids are in good condition.

Absolutely, please sign up for instruction esoecially if your background doesn't consist of motor sports.

Then watch YouTube videos of the track layout.

Walk in there with an open mind, stay relaxed and you'll be guaranteed to have fun. Don't go in there thinking you'll do a certain laptime or impress x/y/z. Do it for your experience and you'll have plenty of fun.

So I've had the absolutely delightful pleasure of driving a 2015 Chevrolet Impala LTZ V6 for the past day, while my Jaguar is getting its scheduled maintenance done. And here I am writing about this absolutely wonderful experience, trying to figure out whether it's italics or bolding that works better when trying to convey sarcasm?

This is pretty unfair to the Impala. You're talking about a full-size sedan that starts out at $27k, high-end luxury or sport is not what you're going to find. What it does do well is give you a smooth ride, and a comfortable, spacious, quiet interior. They're not built for people who like cars, they're built for older people with families and a bit of extra cash who don't like driving.

Can't speak to the stereo, though, that's pretty disappointing. Does it have the base system or is it the premium? Because again, that'd be the base system out of a $27k full-size.

Walk in there with an open mind, stay relaxed and you'll be guaranteed to have fun. Don't go in there thinking you'll do a certain laptime or impress x/y/z. Do it for your experience and you'll have plenty of fun.

Excellent point. Remember this, too, regardless of how good you think you are at driving, you really don't know much about performance driving while your instructors do. If you go in there thinking you know stuff already you won't have a chance to learn, go into it with no preconceived notions of your own ability and you will get so, so much more out of the event.

Smokey

nah I dont know shit about perf driving and don't pretend to. Seems worth it to do the two half days . I'm going to give them a call later today

fwoibles

This is pretty unfair to the Impala. You're talking about a full-size sedan that starts out at $27k, high-end luxury or sport is not what you're going to find.

What I take from his post is that you will find better if you're not an idealist.
I thought almost to the end that it is a pretty standard american car, then the pricetag came up. No thanks.

AlphaSnake

This is pretty unfair to the Impala. You're talking about a full-size sedan that starts out at $27k, high-end luxury or sport is not what you're going to find. What it does do well is give you a smooth ride, and a comfortable, spacious, quiet interior. They're not built for people who like cars, they're built for older people with families and a bit of extra cash who don't like driving.

Can't speak to the stereo, though, that's pretty disappointing. Does it have the base system or is it the premium? Because again, that'd be the base system out of a $27k full-size.

Like I specified, base system. Bose is optional. But it's the most pitiful excuse for a 'base' system ever. And like I said, there have been cheaper cars I can think of that sounded leagues better than this. And while I realize what this car's purpose is, there are cars out there that can be had for the same money or less that do their job far better than the Impala does.

Soft ride and large volume doesn't justify its price tag, whether its $27K or $40K.

You look ahead of you and you're greeted with two very familiar, very blue, and hideously outdated gauges that look like they were ripped off a Chevy product from the 1990s. The steering wheel is an ergonomic mess, as is the rest of the interior with its clusterfuck of buttons and downright offensive infotainment unit that has the touch response speed of an ATM from Uzbekistan. The base sound system (Bose is optional) is probably the worst I've heard since my 1993 Ford Tempo. Why does this car even give me the option to adjust bass and treble if it doesn't have any of it? And this isn't just me spitting out hyperbole, either. I turned the volume all the way up...and it was basically just muddy mids, not one bit of shake from the bass no matter the genre of song. I was convinced the speakers were shot, but I pressed my ear to them all and verified that this car has just about the worst audio money can buy. Truthfully, my mother's base 2010 VW Rabbit had better audio than this Impala.

You need an auto blog man. This shit is hilarious!

Like I specified, base system. Bose is optional. But it's the most pitiful excuse for a 'base' system ever. And like I said, there have been cheaper cars I can think of that sounded leagues better than this. And while I realize what this car's purpose is, there are cars out there that can be had for the same money or less that do their job far better than the Impala does.

Soft ride and large volume doesn't justify its price tag, whether its $27K or $40K.

It's competitively priced in the full-size market at its base cost, as the Impala, Taurus and Charger are the only full-sized cars starting under $30k.. Start loading it up to $40k and I would agree, you're better off taking your money to another company.

AlphaSnake

You need an auto blog man. This shit is hilarious!

LOL. Thanks. I've done writing before professionally (I ran and started the largest indie PlayStation site for about 10 years+), and even did some car writing for the heck of it on the side.

It's competitively priced in the full-size market at its base cost, as the Impala, Taurus and Charger are the only full-sized cars starting under $30k.. Start loading it up to $40k and I would agree, you're better off taking your money to another company.

I understand that. But just because something's competitively priced doesn't mean it's worth considering. It has to justify its competitive price, in which case the Impala simply doesn't. If the $40K LTZ had such a poor interior, I can't fathom how much worse the base LS model must be.

Honestly, there's nothing more grating than having a brand new car that has an interior console that creaks when you push a button on it.

Also, apparently Chevy's MyLink system is Cadillac's revolting CUE in disguise. Figures that.

Alpha, 10/10 post.

I strive.

I understand that. But just because something's competitively priced doesn't mean it's worth considering. It has to justify its competitive price, in which case the Impala simply doesn't. If the $40K LTZ had such a poor interior, I can't fathom how much worse the base LS model must be.

Honestly, there's nothing more grating than having a brand new car that has an interior console that creaks when you push a button on it.

Also, apparently Chevy's MyLink system is Cadillac's revolting CUE in disguise. Figures that.

Well personally I'm a little surprised that you had the issues you did with the interior, I've been in plenty myself (I do contract for GM and the GM folks are always running around in Impalas and Malibus) and I've always been, if not impressed, satisfied. And while you do have to look at MSRP as a comparison point, who in the world pays full price for an Impala?

But yes, CUE and MyLink suck horribly.

All the same, really nice article and fun to read, I just have to back up my GM buddies.

Top Bottom