• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's competitively priced in the full-size market at its base cost, as the Impala, Taurus and Charger are the only full-sized cars starting under $30k.. Start loading it up to $40k and I would agree, you're better off taking your money to another company.

"Full Size" is the most retarded term in American automotive parlance.

The Prius cabs have far more rear legroom than the fucking Crown Victorias. They should just change it to "big hood, big trunk, maybe, who fuckin knows. Probably worse gas mileage."

The Prius cabs have far more rear legroom than the fucking Crown Victorias. They should just change it to "big hood, big trunk, maybe, who fuckin knows. Probably worse gas mileage."

I have my own system, I got by total length alone. It's probably equally stupid, but anything 190" or longer is "full size", 180-189 is midsize, 170-179 is small, 160-169 is compact, and anything smaller is mini.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Indeed it is. It's become a term to mean " large car outside"

The "full-sized" car is horribly small inside.

Ughhh... my car still hasn't even shipped yet. I've waited over 4 months now.

And whats worse is that my order was messedd up by either the dealer or corporate, and now they'll have to swap parts at the dealer to make it right.

Evo X

Ughhh... my car still hasn't even shipped yet. I've waited over 4 months now.

And whats worse is that my order was messedd up by either the dealer or corporate, and now they'll have to swap parts at the dealer to make it right.

Damn, that sucks. What car did you order?

Indeed it is. It's become a term to mean " large car outside"

The "full-sized" car is horribly small inside.

What? You could play basketball in the backseat of some full-sizes, and the trunk would have room for the bleachers.

Admittedly they're dumb and wagons are better, but Americans are dumb as well so there you go.

ascii42

I understand that. But just because something's competitively priced doesn't mean it's worth considering. It has to justify its competitive price, in which case the Impala simply doesn't. If the $40K LTZ had such a poor interior, I can't fathom how much worse the base LS model must be.

Honestly, there's nothing more grating than having a brand new car that has an interior console that creaks when you push a button on it.

Also, apparently Chevy's MyLink system is Cadillac's revolting CUE in disguise. Figures that.

I prefer MyLink to CUE, honestly. Seems to run better, and at least some of the cars with it have real buttons and knobs. I like the Impala actually, though it shows a problem Chevy's had for some time, making both the Malibu and Impala compelling products. When I bought my 2010 Malibu, it was pretty much a no-brainer over the Impala that was available then, even for the same price. Now, I think the reverse is true. If I were only looking at Chevy cars, I'd go for the Impala over the Malibu easily, because the current Malibu isn't that great. I think GM sometimes forgets it has competitors. Although, I don't think any of the Impala's competitors are particularly better. The Impala is good at what it was intended to be. Big, comfortable, and quiet. Not sure what they were thinking with that steering wheel though.

Granadier

What? You could play basketball in the backseat of some full-sizes, and the trunk would have room for the bleachers.

Admittedly they're dumb and wagons are better, but Americans are dumb as well so there you go.

You must not be a tall.

Anything less than an A8 is less than full size in my opinion.

Maybe it's truly determined by the number of dead bodies you can store in your trunk.

This is the only really comparison that matters.

ascii42

Which is why we need the return of the America full-size wagon
Buick_Roadmaster_Wagon.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
You must not be a tall.

Anything less than an A8 is less than full size in my opinion.

This is the only really comparison that matters.

My best friend had a 2010 LS460L...and my God I don't understand the need for a long wheelbase car such as this. Driving it when I still lived in NYC felt like a bit of a chore. It was super luxurious, albeit with a heavily dated interior. The chore came when it came time to parallel park. The camera was great...but those extra 4 inches of wheelbase quickly reared its ugly head at you.

ascii42

My best friend had a 2010 LS460L...and my God I don't understand the need for a long wheelbase car such as this. Driving it when I still lived in NYC felt like a bit of a chore. It was super luxurious, albeit with a heavily dated interior. The chore came when it came time to parallel park. The camera was great...but those extra 4 inches of wheelbase quickly reared its ugly head at you.

*looks up*
wheelbase: 121.7 in.
overall length: 203.9 in.
width: 73.8 in.

pff, that's nothing

Not that I'd want to drive my Olds in NYC.

No Love

Banned
Wouldn't that make it the quickest, not the fastest? But yes, the P85D is quicker to 60 than the Hellcat.

Which is absolutely pointless because the 1/4 mile is what matters. And the Hellcat is trapping like 12-15 MPH faster IIRC. That means at the 1/4 mile mark the Hellcat is putting buses on the laughable Tesla.

AlphaSnake

Granadier

I think the L would be overkill unless you're being driven everywhere, but the base sedan size is a definite plus for me.

AlphaSnake

I think the L would be overkill unless you're being driven everywhere, but the base sedan size is a definite plus for me.

Yeah, it's a good size. Like the A8, 7-series, XJ, etc.

Right now I'm actually considering Jaguar XJs too. We love them and I've been looking around and you gotta' love the depreciation curve on full sized luxo sedans. LOL. I can have a 2012 XJ 5.0 for like $45K.

Can't the LS parallel park itself?

Granadier

Yeah, it's a good size. Like the A8, 7-series, XJ, etc.

Right now I'm actually considering Jaguar XJs too. We love them and I've been looking around and you gotta' love the depreciation curve on full sized luxo sedans. LOL. I can have a 2012 XJ 5.0 for like $45K.

That is insane. I guess the market for used luxury sedans isn't too hot.

No Love

Banned
I really want a blue, 6 speed, Recaro equipped CTS-V Wagon.

DSC08431-L.jpg

CADILLAC-CTS-V-WAGON-BY-CANEPA-cadillac-31740686-651-314.jpg

God fucking damn. Too bad they're like $20k more than the sedan so totally not worth it for the price premium.
But god damn it you can fit like desks and tree trunks in this bitch AND run around with 700+ hp all day

Jackson

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/you-c...n-martin-db9-for-the-pric-1684116017/+pgeorge

Yet another car Jalopnik is advising their readers to jump on, insisting it's clean, is free of accidents, and has a nice car check record.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aston-Marti...6471838&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#viTabs_0&rmvSB=true

I'm not even sure if this car even has a reliable past. There are soooo many redflags with that CarCheck Report that I don't even know where to begin! See if you can spot them all.

You always PPI any used supercar. It's standard practice. Even if it's $40k its worth the $750. So you'd spot any issues there anyway.

Interior looks great... looks almost exactly like my friends '15 GT. Lol ~10 years difference? Upgrade the interior? Why? it's perfection! Haha.

Those seats are ugly though.

ascii42

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/you-c...n-martin-db9-for-the-pric-1684116017/+pgeorge

Yet another car Jalopnik is advising their readers to jump on, insisting it's clean, is free of accidents, and has a nice car check record.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aston-Marti...6471838&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#viTabs_0&rmvSB=true

I'm not even sure if this car even has a reliable past. There are soooo many redflags with that CarCheck Report that I don't even know where to begin! See if you can spot them all.
Looks great to me, other than a 50% chance of this happening as soon as you get in
xMr2kWf.gif

AlphaSnake

You always PPI any used supercar. It's standard practice. Even if it's $40k its worth the $750. So you'd spot any issues there anyway.

Interior looks great... looks almost exactly like my friends '15 GT. Lol ~10 years difference? Upgrade the interior? Why? it's perfection! Haha.

Those seats are ugly though.

Looks great to me, other than a 50% chance of this happening as soon as you get in
xMr2kWf.gif

The car has been repossessed and has had 4 owners. It also has a very questionable service track record for the first 40K miles, because it doesn't seem like it's ever been worked on by an actual Aston Martin dealership. And the fact that it's ended up in numerous states tells me the title of the car has been washed and it's almost certainly been wrecked at one point.

That is insane. I guess the market for used luxury sedans isn't too hot.

They lose their value because they're replaced by literally the "new, best flagship of the brand" every year. Even if some years see minimal changes, the vanity of people shopping for this shit means they have to have the best.

Rich guy leases it for 24-36 months, drops it off, gets the new one, and the old one gets thrown on the market.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Quick question - I have a toyota camry and the buckle that you plug the seat belt into on the driver's side makes an annoying creaking noise. It only happens when the seat belt is plugged in and I can make it happen by wiggling the buckle or even by taking a really deep breath with the seat belt on. Think I would need to take it to the dealership to have the buckle replaced or would it be safe to try spraying some wd-40 in there?

Evo X

Just came back from the dealership after finalizing the spec on the GT4.

White on black. Fully loaded with the exception of carbon ceramic brakes. One piece racing buckets from the 918 Spyder. Extended leather option with with red deviated stitching and seat belts. Carbon fiber literally everywhere I could add it. Should be pretty sexy.

Porsche not releasing allocation details until the end of the month, so now we play the waiting game.

Quick question - I have a toyota camry and the buckle that you plug the seat belt into on the driver's side makes an annoying creaking noise. It only happens when the seat belt is plugged in and I can make it happen by wiggling the buckle or even by taking a really deep breath with the seat belt on. Think I would need to take it to the dealership to have the buckle replaced or would it be safe to try spraying some wd-40 in there?

You mean into the buckle receiver? If it is under warranty, take it to the dealer. Why risk damaging a sensor?

It's not under warranty (bought the car used), but I'll probably just take it there when I get a chance and see what can be done.

What? They'll just squirt some WD-40 into the latch and charge you $90. Either that or they'll say you need a new everything and charge you $300.

Put a little bit of WD-40 on the male part of the buckle, slick it up and put it into the buckle. If that doesn't work give the latch a quick spray. If you're nervous about damaging a sensor, go to an auto parts store and ask for an electrical safe lubricant, they make lubricants specifically for this sort of thing.

It could also be the bolt that holds the seat belt buckle to the car. Follow the strap down, probably a piece of plastic covering it up, give the insides of that a quick spray and work the buckle back and forth.

Troubleshooting, dude. You have a creak. Wiggle stuff around until you wiggle the creaky thing. Lubricate the creaky thing.

Jackson

Just came back from the dealership after finalizing the spec on the GT4.

White on black. Fully loaded with the exception of carbon ceramic brakes. One piece racing buckets from the 918 Spyder. Extended leather option with with red deviated stitching and seat belts. Carbon fiber literally everywhere I could add it. Should be pretty sexy.

Porsche not releasing allocation details until the end of the month, so now we play the waiting game.

Nice! :) Congrats! Happy for you man!I got the leather/alcantera combo on my GTS and I'd keep that on the GT4. I'm a sucker for Alcantera. Red accent stitching is super sexy though. I kept my interior aluminum to match better, but you can never, ever go wrong with carbon fiber.

I'm torn on the seats. :p cool, and very functional, but DD murder. Not a bad choice at all though.

I'm pretty sure you'll get the allocation it's not a numbered run. Just high demand.

Evo X

Nice! :) Congrats! Happy for you man!I got the leather/alcantera combo on my GTS and I'd keep that on the GT4. I'm a sucker for Alcantera. Red accent stitching is super sexy though. I kept my interior aluminum to match better, but you can never, ever go wrong with carbon fiber.

I'm torn on the seats. :p cool, and very functional, but DD murder. Not a bad choice at all though.

I'm pretty sure you'll get the allocation it's not a numbered run. Just high demand.

Thanks!

I love Alcantara and there is plenty in the cabin still. The extended leather option just covers the few remaining plastic pieces such as dashboard, doors, sides of the center console, etc. Steering wheel, shifter, pillars, roof, and glovebox are all Alcantara. Seats are half/half mix.

I was torn on the CF bucket seats for a while, but they just suit the character of the car so well, I knew I would regret it if I didn't get them. Unlike the typical American, I have quite a small frame so fitment shouldn't be an issue .

Besides, I don't think they will be too uncomfortable. A 918 owner I spoke to on another forum said they are great, and if they're good enough for Porsche's $1MM flagship car, I'm not worried.

I'm almost positive there will be enough allocation to get the car, I'm just worried about the build/delivery date. Being in Chicago, obviously I'd want this car in July, not November.

Any reason why you didn't opt for the ceramics since it's fully loaded - are there downsides to having them or it's just a waste? It's a bit overkill I guess but still if you're getting racing seats I assume you're tracking it?

AlphaSnake

It's not under warranty (bought the car used), but I'll probably just take it there when I get a chance and see what can be done.

What? They'll just squirt some WD-40 into the latch and charge you $90. Either that or they'll say you need a new everything and charge you $300.

Put a little bit of WD-40 on the male part of the buckle, slick it up and put it into the buckle. If that doesn't work give the latch a quick spray. If you're nervous about damaging a sensor, go to an auto parts store and ask for an electrical safe lubricant, they make lubricants specifically for this sort of thing.

It could also be the bolt that holds the seat belt buckle to the car. Follow the strap down, probably a piece of plastic covering it up, give the insides of that a quick spray and work the buckle back and forth.

Troubleshooting, dude. You have a creak. Wiggle stuff around until you wiggle the creaky thing. Lubricate the creaky thing.

Have to make a quick correction here. Use silicone or lithium grease lubricant NOT standard WD-40. WD-40 oil is primarily a degreaser, not a lubricant, and it'll eventually dry out. Silicone or lithium lubricant is just that and they're both electrical safe.

The WD-40 company makes both a silicone lubricant or lithium.

product-lithium.png

Don't spray too much, whichever you get. One VERY light spray is more than enough.

Evo X

Any reason why you didn't opt for the ceramics since it's fully loaded - are there downsides to having them or it's just a waste? It's a bit overkill I guess but still if you're getting racing seats I assume you're tracking it?

Yes, I do plan on extensively tracking it. Just need to sort out the insurance situation.

It seems counter intuitive, but PCCB is actually fantastic on the street and horrendous on the track.

These sentiments are nearly unanimous on the Porsche forums from GT3/GT2 drivers. One of the first things owners who intend to track their cars do, is swap the ceramics to steelies. Better pedal feel, equal ultimate braking performance, and much easier/cheaper to replace if anything goes wrong. The benefit to the PCCB's is the weight, and only the weight. For people tracking their car on a regular basis, it's not a matter of "IF" you will have to replace the PCCB's one day...it's "WHEN" and a ceramic replacement costs $15K. Besides the heat issues that many people have experienced, there's also the fact that they are fragile, and track use exposes you to all sorts of ways you can damage the disc.

Meanwhile on the street, PCCB will last 75k miles minimum with zero brake dust to boot. Only downside is they require a couple minutes to warm up. If you started your car after it having sit for over 12hrs, immediately sped to 100mph and needed to brake, you wouldn't have fully functioning brakes. A few accidents have happened in a variation of this scenario.

Ceramic is also slightly misleading. The entire rotor is not ceramic, just a millimeter or so of the coating on top of steel. Once this laminate develops an imperfection, it's all downhill after that.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Granadier

Wouldn't the ceramics be superior for track use, but only if the car is really going at it?

Top Bottom