• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Jackson

Yes, I do plan on extensively tracking it. Just need to sort out the insurance situation.

Careful about inquiring with your insurance provider about HPDE coverage. Find out online first what their policies are, even asking can get you dropped or rates hiked. Happened to a buddy, got dropped a couple days later after talking to his agent. Though I bet he didn't have a very good relationship with them. :)

There's plenty of track day only companies that will cover single day events for about the same price as the track day itself (~$250-$500). Though some of the big guy insurance co.s have "zero exclusions" policies meaning you crash it, they cover it. Though 9 times out of 10 they'll drop you the next day for crashing on a track.

It's a lot like superbike insurance, State Farm only cares about CC, "super bike status" isn't a thing for them. I got quoted $3,000 a year for All State and $5,000 a year for Progressive for my bike. State Farm charged me $389 a year.

Anyway, just word to the wise.

Besides the heat issues that many people have experienced, there's also the fact that they are fragile, and track use exposes you to all sorts of ways you can damage the disc.
Wait what heat issue? The entire point of ceramics is how it handles heat so much better than any other composite.

Only downside is they require a couple minutes to warm up.
And they squeal like a pig at a stop light when feathered. :p Though that's' a Porsche/high-end perf brake thing, not just a carbon ceramic thing.

Evo X

Careful about inquiring with your insurance provider about HPDE coverage. Find out online first what their policies are, even asking can get you dropped or rates hiked. Happened to a buddy, got dropped a couple days later after talking to his agent. Though I bet he didn't have a very good relationship with them. :)

There's plenty of track day only companies that will cover single day events for about the same price as the track day itself (~$250-$500). Though some of the big guy insurance co.s have "zero exclusions" policies meaning you crash it, they cover it. Though 9 times out of 10 they'll drop you the next day for crashing on a track.

It's a lot like superbike insurance, State Farm only cares about CC, "super bike status" isn't a thing for them. I got quoted $3,000 a year for All State and $5,000 a year for Progressive for my bike. State Farm charged me $389 a year.

Anyway, just word to the wise.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't planning on using the same company for street and track insurance.

Gonna keep my normal policy, then look for either event based insurance or track exclusive companies to go through.

Wait what heat issue? The entire point of ceramics is how it handles heat so much better than any other composite.

Go read some Porsche forums. PTV, ABS, and other electronics that help stabilize the car burn through PCCB rotors really fast on the track.

Porsche does not advertise the benefits of PCCB for track use any more. In fact, they no longer promotes heat resistance and actively warn about damage from track use.

The fact of the matter is brakes are consumable and the PCCBs are not infallible. They are simply not worth anywhere NEAR their $7,400 initial cost and ridiculous $15K replacement in case of damage/wear.

Stopping distance is largely determined by tire friction and there is virtually no difference between the standard 380mm steel units and the 410mm ceramics in that regard. They are both 6 pot monoblocs that are massively overkill for a car that weighs less than 2,900lbs and has 400hp.

Like I said, PCCB is great for street use because of no brake dust or maintenance required for a long time, but I do not know a single person who is serious about racing that runs them.

Most of the time, the only people that get them are those with too much money to burn who want to look cool at car meets and Starbucks.

GHG

New R8 instagram leak

next-audi-r8.jpg

Yes. Come out soon to drag the prices of the old model down further.

I need some V10 in my life by this time next year.

Does anyone here have any experience with the new Mini's? My wife seems to have finally narrowed down her search for a "small SUV" down to the countryman cooper S and we will go see a few this week. If anyone has any pointers/tips it would be much appreciated.

jey_16

Banned
what do you guys think about the S3? Haven't had a test drive yet but everything i have seen has left me impressed. Cant really go for the M235i or CLA45 since they are quite a bit more expensive here, other option is go for C200/A4/328i/IS250 although they are under powered compared to the S3. Also thinking about the WRX which would save me quite a bit of cash as well....

GHG

what do you guys think about the S3? Haven't had a test drive yet but everything i have seen has left me impressed. Cant really go for the M235i or CLA45 since they are quite a bit more expensive here, other option is go for C200/A4/328i/IS250 although they are under powered compared to the S3. Also thinking about the WRX which would save me quite a bit of cash as well....

Sedan or hatchback?

What about the new 2015 Golf R? Or are you only looking at sedan shapes?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Have to make a quick correction here. Use silicone or lithium grease lubricant NOT standard WD-40. WD-40 oil is primarily a degreaser, not a lubricant, and it'll eventually dry out. Silicone or lithium lubricant is just that and they're both electrical safe.

The WD-40 company makes both a silicone lubricant or lithium.

Don't spray too much, whichever you get. One VERY light spray is more than enough.

Thanks, glad I got up early to read this.

kharma45

Friend of mine is getting a 435d xDrive as his brother works for BMW and can get a stonking discount on it. Can't wait for a run out in it, should be very impressive at least going from what I experienced of my Aunt's 335d.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Magnetic Ride Control: Can anybody here explain what makes it so great etc?

It allows instant modifications of the dampers to make them smoother or more rigid. If coupled with radar sensing of the road it can modify the dampers to react to bumps or holes in the road to make the overall ride more comfortable.

Small iron or other magnetic particles are suspended within the damper oil. They can be aligned with electronic control to make the fluid pass through the holes in the dampers more easily or more difficultly.

edit: In the Corvette this is used more for active body roll control. Going into a corner the outside dampers will stiffen to reduce roll.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Thanks, glad I got up early to read this.

Just to update: Didn't work - I coated the metal part of the seatbelt with it and then put 2 or 3 small drops inside of the buckle itself and it's still creaking. Probably just needs to be replaced, as it seems to be coming from somewhere inside the buckle but away from the opening. It's definitely not rubbing the side of the seat and only happens with the seat belt inserted.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
You think so? It looks a lot like the Quattro Concept, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's basically a longer TT, I mean the current R8 in many ways is basically a TT with the sideblade crammed into it.

The current R8 is literally a reskinned Lamborghini Gallardo.

Evo X

I spoke with one of the guys from GMG Racing, the people who make Porsche and Audi racecars, and he said literally the only difference between the R8 and Lambo V10 is an ECU flash.

The hardware is identical, but the computer in the Audi is instructed to only open up the throttle bodies 80%.

Jackson

I spoke with one of the guys from GMG Racing, the people who make Porsche and Audi racecars, and he said literally the only difference between the R8 and Lambo V10 is an ECU flash.

The hardware is identical, but the computer in the Audi is instructed to only open up the throttle bodies 80%.

For the engine itself I'm sure. You can tune the heck out of that v10, UGR has 2000hp Gallardos. But having driven both the Audi ride height is way taller (it doesn't come with a front lift button because it doesn't need it), the suspension way less stiff, the interior is much quieter to road noise, the seats are plush and comfy, the exhaust note is also quieter and the throttle response is way worse, a Gallardo snaps your neck off, an R8 pushes you back a bit. Also you can look out your rear window and see, and other people's headlights don't blind you in oncoming traffic. :)

The R8 is a DD Gallardo with basically a kind of bland Audi interior (not an interior that screams supercar at least) It's kind of like a Porsche in that sense. The every day supercar.

No Love

Banned
I really want an Audi R8 V10 6-speed. I think it'd make an awesome daily driver. Especially if I can snag one for like $80k. It's such a gorgeous, timeless design. It really weirds me out that some people say they prefer the V8 R8. Really? The boost in power and the sheer awesomeness of a screaming V10 are what turn me on!

Evo X

For the engine itself I'm sure. You can tune the heck out of that v10, UGR has 2000hp Gallardos. But having driven both the Audi ride height is way taller (it doesn't come with a front lift button because it doesn't need it), the suspension way less stiff, the interior is much quieter to road noise, the seats are plush and comfy, the exhaust note is also quieter and the throttle response is way worse, a Gallardo snaps your neck off, an R8 pushes you back a bit. Also you can look out your rear window and see, and other people's headlights don't blind you in oncoming traffic. :)

The R8 is a DD Gallardo with basically a kind of bland Audi interior (not an interior that screams supercar at least) It's kind of like a Porsche in that sense. The every day supercar.

Hmmm... plush seats, quieter, taller, less power...

So basically what you're saying is the R8 is like a Cayman GTS and the Gallardo is like a GT4?

:D

I really want an Audi R8 V10 6-speed. I think it'd make an awesome daily driver. Especially if I can snag one for like $80k. It's such a gorgeous, timeless design. It really weirds me out that some people say they prefer the V8 R8. Really? The boost in power and the sheer awesomeness of a screaming V10 are what turn me on!

They make great DDs. Don't think the V10s will come down to $80K for a few more years though.

The only people who say they prefer the V8s are those who can't afford the V10s or old farts who will never use that power, but still want to look cool.

Spotted an X-Trail on the freeway yesterday. This isn't uncommon as I'm only two hours south of Vancouver, BC, they come down here all the time for shopping, and Nissan sold a shit-ton of them over the years.

What was odd - it had Washington plates.

rokkerkory

Thanks!

I love Alcantara and there is plenty in the cabin still. The extended leather option just covers the few remaining plastic pieces such as dashboard, doors, sides of the center console, etc. Steering wheel, shifter, pillars, roof, and glovebox are all Alcantara. Seats are half/half mix.

I was torn on the CF bucket seats for a while, but they just suit the character of the car so well, I knew I would regret it if I didn't get them. Unlike the typical American, I have quite a small frame so fitment shouldn't be an issue .

Besides, I don't think they will be too uncomfortable. A 918 owner I spoke to on another forum said they are great, and if they're good enough for Porsche's $1MM flagship car, I'm not worried.

I'm almost positive there will be enough allocation to get the car, I'm just worried about the build/delivery date. Being in Chicago, obviously I'd want this car in July, not November.

Wow niceeee gonna be pricey!! Congrats

Jackson

So basically what you're saying is the R8 is like a Cayman GTS and the Gallardo is like a GT4?

Yes. Though Lambos aren't built for track use... Lambo's entire motto is build awesome, sexy street cars to show off, not break lap records.

They make great DDs. Don't think the V10s will come down to $80K for a few more years though.

The only people who say they prefer the V8s are those who can't afford the V10s or old farts who will never use that power, but still want to look cool.
And Yes. :)

No Love

Banned

I coulda swore I saw a V10 down to like $90k already.

Honestly though, the 911 Turbo is calling my name. Probably a 997.1 so I can E85 it and take it to 600-700 whp. Perfect daily driver. It's either that or the CTS-V at this point. I need something that seats 4 and has endless torque and bad-ass handling.

Jackson

Honestly though, the 911 Turbo is calling my name. Probably a 997.1 so I can E85 it and take it to 600-700 whp. Perfect daily driver. It's either that or the CTS-V at this point. I need something that seats 4 and has endless torque and bad-ass handling.

Only crashed/salvaged R8 v10's are that low. Like this one!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-R8-5-2...d2c79d3c9&item=331458663369&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Also... Porsche>Caddy. :D

Evo X

Wow niceeee gonna be pricey!! Congrats

Thanks!

Usually, I am more conservative when speccing cars, but this time I said fuck it and just specced it to exactly how I want it in my dreams.

I mean, nobody really needs to spend thousands of dollars on things like stitching, carbon fiber, and aluminum pedals, but whatever. YOLO!

Yes. Though Lambos aren't built for track use... Lambo's entire motto is build awesome, sexy street cars to show off, not break lap records.

Haha, I wasn't being serious. Just busting your balls man. :D

V8's, yes. V10s, maybe one that has been wrecked.

911 Turbos are amazing daily drivers as well. Funny you mention it, because that is what my brother drove before he picked up his R8 V10. His was making close to 700hp with a few simple mods. It was an absolute riot to drive. I remember racing a few motorcycles in it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Not exactly. Once the V10 Plus and GT models came out a few years ago they were getting the same power as the Gallardos. The first wave of V10s though, yes. Also, once the facelifted V10 Plus models were out, the R8 V10 was leagues better than the Gallardo. It received magnetic dampers, an amazing DCT (Lambo was still stuck with the awful E-Gear), new struts, and wider wheels and tires. The V10 Plus was a better track car than the Gallardo considerably.

This is 100% true for the 2010-2012 cars. The ECU flashes these cars can receive basically just adjust the throttle and that's it. The exhausts between the Gallardo and R8 are slightly different too, but not much.

GHG

2010/11 V10 R8's are already under 80k USD here in the UAE. Love the used car market here, even though it is a bit of a minefield and you need to shop around to find cars that have been well taken care of and haven't been in accidents.

Once I can find a good one for under 70k USD I'll be tempted to bite.

Evo X

2010/11 V10 R8's are already under 80k USD here in the UAE. Love the used car market here, even though it is a bit of a minefield and you need to shop around to find cars that have been well taken care of and haven't been in accidents.

Once I can find a good one for under 70k USD I'll be tempted to bite.

Damn, good deal. Those people have too much money and are more interested in moving to the hottest new thing instead of maximizing return upon resale.

No sales tax either, right?

I've visited Dubai a few times and the abundant luxury and wealth is crazy.

GHG

Damn, good deal. Those people have too much money and are more interested in moving to the hottest new thing instead of maximizing return upon resale.

No sales tax either, right?

I've visited Dubai a few times and the abundant luxury and wealth is crazy.

Yep, if it isn't the hot new thing then its not worth much is the general mantra here. Its good for those of us who are more savvy so not I'm complaining at all. Whenever there is an announcement of a new model of a car arriving it usually means the market gets flooded with people trying to shift their old model in anticipation of the new one.

There is also the factor that owning and maintaining certain brands of cars (German/European cars in particular) outside of their warranty period can get expensive as parts are hard to come by and need to be imported. But that's all part of the fun as long as its not your daily driver that you depend on :) .

No sales Tax either but there is "indirect tax" in the form of dubious speeding fines and road tolls (Salik) on some of the more popular roads.

Jackson

Not exactly. Once the V10 Plus and GT models came out a few years ago they were getting the same power as the Gallardos. The first wave of V10s though, yes. Also, once the facelifted V10 Plus models were out, the R8 V10 was leagues better than the Gallardo. It received magnetic dampers, an amazing DCT (Lambo was still stuck with the awful E-Gear), new struts, and wider wheels and tires. The V10 Plus was a better track car than the Gallardo considerably.

Gallardo's not a track car. Lambo couldn't care less about race heritage. Doesn't make them any less cool though... But you make a good point, the V10 Plus is nice. I haven't driven it, so I can't comment. I was never in the market for a $200k R8 lol

The R8 GT hasn't seemed to hold the prestige/value Audi hoped for liek say the GT3 RS 4.0 did.

Yep, if it isn't the hot new thing then its not worth much is the general mantra here.

Not gonna lie. Seeing dusty, neglected Enzo's sitting in some UAE junkyard makes me sad. :(

d49a2a16326582985326195b76cebfc7.jpg

Alright, so I'm in the market for a new family car. I want it to be fun and AWD, so I'm looking at a Evo X (09'-12') and a STI (10'-13').

The ringland issues still bothers me with these engines though. Whenever I get close to swinging sides, I'm reminded of my friends STI that went pop while it was still stock.

The interior of the Evo's looks rather bland, and cheap. And the sound? Even with the Rockford Fosgate package, the sound is still flat. I do like the Recaro seats (I'm all about those heated leather seats in the winter time). Overall, I give the interior edge to Subaru. It's more complete, and looks a heck of a lot less cheap (for the Canadian prices).

Both have a wonderful aftermarket, so either way I'll be modding (lightly). Simple bolt-ons, and away I go.

So then people, who's owned either of the above models? Any insight you'd like to share with me?

Unfortunately I don't have any friends who currently own Evo's, mostly STi's. I haven't had real seat time in a X in YEARS. Only test drives recently.

Gritesh

Honestly, and I just bought an STI, but if you like the Evo in any regard I think it is the better of the two.

I bought the '15 STi solely because of the updated interior and minor luxuries that came with that. (Its still a 45k econobox)

But I think for overall dependability and performance its easier and safer to squeeze power out of the Evo than the STI.

If your buying an STi out of warranty, or if you don't care about warranty and want to mod the first thing you should do is get an AOS and a proper tune on the car. From stock these engines are tuned to run lean which means you risk pre-ignition and/or busting a piston under hard driving.

Do not start modding the car without an accessport at the least and possibly a tuner lined up to tune you. The accessport is great as you can data log when driving to see if your getting any knock on the engine and you can react accordingly before something goes boom.

Goodluck man!!

GHG

Gallardo's not a track car. Lambo couldn't care less about race heritage. Doesn't make them any less cool though... But you make a good point, the V10 Plus is nice. I haven't driven it, so I can't comment. I was never in the market for a $200k R8 lol

The R8 GT hasn't seemed to hold the prestige/value Audi hoped for liek say the GT3 RS 4.0 did.

Not gonna lie. Seeing dusty, neglected Enzo's sitting in some UAE junkyard makes me sad. :(

d49a2a16326582985326195b76cebfc7.jpg

That looks like the car impound. The person would have probably got that car back eventually dependant on how bad the road violation they committed was.

People need to stop
getting caught
speeding.

We have 2 great tracks (Yas Marina and Dubai Autodrome) with track days nearly every weekend here so I have little sympathy for those who get caught doing 200 km/h+ on public roads (which is how fast you have to be going before they confiscate your car for a month - everything up to that speed is a speeding fine).

No Love

Banned
Alright, so I'm in the market for a new family car. I want it to be fun and AWD, so I'm looking at a Evo X (09'-12') and a STI (10'-13').

The ringland issues still bothers me with these engines though. Whenever I get close to swinging sides, I'm reminded of my friends STI that went pop while it was still stock.

The interior of the Evo's looks rather bland, and cheap. And the sound? Even with the Rockford Fosgate package, the sound is still flat. I do like the Recaro seats (I'm all about those heated leather seats in the winter time). Overall, I give the interior edge to Subaru. It's more complete, and looks a heck of a lot less cheap (for the Canadian prices).

Both have a wonderful aftermarket, so either way I'll be modding (lightly). Simple bolt-ons, and away I go.

So then people, who's owned either of the above models? Any insight you'd like to share with me?

Unfortunately I don't have any friends who currently own Evo's, mostly STi's. I haven't had real seat time in a X in YEARS. Only test drives recently.

Evo X. You will enjoy it immensely. Spend a couple grand and get an easy 400~ whp. Reliable as fuck and it drives extremely well (that AWD system is killer.) It's comfortable too.

Don't even bother with the STI and its junk motor. The 4B11 is a far superior motor to the EJ25.

TylerD

I'm totally lusting after the M235i now. Think i'll get a gently used one ASAP when my student and car loans are paid off.

Evo X

Look at my username and guess what I'm going to recommend. :D

Seriously though. I was one of the first people in the US to buy an Evo X back in 08 and I drove it for nearly 4 years, which is the longest I have ever owned a single car.

Had it modified to 400HP almost immediately after purchase and it was rock solid reliable the whole time I owned it. Didn't need a single thing other than routine maintenance. The AWD system with the active yaw control was way ahead of Subaru at the time. Unlike most AWD cars, the back rotated at the limit, instead of understeer.

I will admit, the interior material quality is a bit shit, but the stuff that you interact with, like the steering wheel and Recaro seats are great. The entertainment system wasn't bad either.

A gaffer recently picked up an Evo X in this thread. Maybe he can chime in as well.

Smokey

I'm totally lusting after the M235i now. Think i'll get a gently used one ASAP when my student and car loans are paid off.

I want to experience life for at least 18 months without a car payment. I want that feel.

I dunno if I'll be able to get to that though after mine is paid . Lots of temptation.

mkenyon

Banned
I want to experience life for at least 18 months without a car payment. I want that feel.

I dunno if I'll be able to get to that though after mine is paid . Lots of temptation.
Well, since it's a BMW nearing the end of lease/warranty, you'll just have different kinds of car payments.

Top Bottom