• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Well, since it's a BMW nearing the end of lease/warranty, you'll just have different kinds of car payments.
His car's warranty expired ages ago.

Z50TiM3.gif

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Alright, so I'm in the market for a new family car. I want it to be fun and AWD, so I'm looking at a Evo X (09'-12') and a STI (10'-13').

The ringland issues still bothers me with these engines though. Whenever I get close to swinging sides, I'm reminded of my friends STI that went pop while it was still stock.

The interior of the Evo's looks rather bland, and cheap. And the sound? Even with the Rockford Fosgate package, the sound is still flat. I do like the Recaro seats (I'm all about those heated leather seats in the winter time). Overall, I give the interior edge to Subaru. It's more complete, and looks a heck of a lot less cheap (for the Canadian prices).

Both have a wonderful aftermarket, so either way I'll be modding (lightly). Simple bolt-ons, and away I go.

So then people, who's owned either of the above models? Any insight you'd like to share with me?

Unfortunately I don't have any friends who currently own Evo's, mostly STi's. I haven't had real seat time in a X in YEARS. Only test drives recently.

i love my evo x (2013). its just awesome. it feels so good to drive. still waiting for snow (wtf), but even in the rain it just grips and blows me away, even when dicking around really pushing it in parking lots full of puddles. the interior is fine, though i'm sure you can find better at the price point. the wheel, stick, and seats are great though. even the backseats are roomy enough for (tall) adults. i went for the evo because i love the styling,how uncommon the thing is, it handles better than the sti (apparently), and has a more bullet proof engine (apparently). it also seemed to run a few thousand cheaper than a comparable sti. did i mention i love this thing and am constantly blown away by its performance? only big downsides is that the trunk is TINY and the gas tank is too.

A gaffer recently picked up an Evo X in this thread. Maybe he can chime in as well.

thats me!

GHG

Well, since it's a BMW nearing the end of lease/warranty, you'll just have different kinds of car payments.

His car's warranty expired ages ago.

This is the sad truth.

Shit gets expensive man. Just had to have the rear air suspension springs replaced on the x6. When I got the quote I was like "excuse me, how much?".

They're lucky I like the car so much.

Not sure I would ever own another BMW going out of warranty though :/

This is the sad truth.

Shit gets expensive man. Just had to have the rear air suspension springs replaced on the x6. When I got the quote I was like "excuse me, how much?".

But you're in the Middle East, right? I assume they charged 10x for everything luxury just because they can.

TylerD

I've had my e46 since 10/2012 and all my bills total are $3326.12. Put 23k miles on it.

$1000.00 was for body work once when I got the car and once when I scraped and dented the shit pulling out of the garage after 2 weeks of polishing and detailing :(, $450 for two new rear tires, $300 for insurance deductible on that water + engine = bad fiasco.

So, for actual work paid for and parts that I bought and DIY'd, looking at $1576.

Not so bad.

The PO, over the course of 13 months and 7k miles before I bought it, spent $6053.39 having all the work done at a dealer in north VA.

Smokey

This is the sad truth.

i live on the edge breh

actually the whole process of buying my current car was filled with a bunch of noob mistakes. i'm ok with that though. i've learned a lot from it. when i got the car i didn't think about the cpo ending vs my loan term and other variables. i just wanted it. fresh out of college with a nice paying job...wanted to reward myself then and there for suffering through those years of studies. i wasn't nearly as much into cars as i am now. even things like LCI (which it in the 09 models...right after my 08) i had no idea or understanding of.

i am a wiser man now!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
i live on the edge breh

actually the whole process of buying my current car was filled with a bunch of noob mistakes. i'm ok with that though. i've learned a lot from it. when i got the car i didn't think about the cpo ending vs my loan term and other variables. i just wanted it. fresh out of college with a nice paying job...wanted to reward myself then and there for suffering through those years of studies. i wasn't nearly as much into cars as i am now. even things like LCI (which it in the 09 models...right after my 08) i had no idea or understanding of.

i am a wiser man now!

2010+ is LCI for Coupes, breh

Lizardus

Why don't more people buy Infiniti Q50? I am looking at one and it seems just better in every aspect compared to its competitors.

People should buy these rather than entry level German big three shitboxes.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Why don't more people buy Infiniti Q50? I am looking at one and it seems just better in every aspect compared to its competitors.

I agree. Better looking and more for your money and dat Nissan powerplant.

No Love

Banned

I agree. Better looking and more for your money and dat Nissan powerplant.

Agreed, and the new Q60 or w/e the hell it is with the turbo 6 cylinder? When that gets finalized and comes out, that'll be a BIG competitor. I really want to see that.

AlphaSnake

Uninformed idiots who shop for a badge as opposed to the quality of a car. Somehow a shitty German CLA250 or A3 or a lowly 128/320I is better than a Japanese sports sedan built on a fantastic platform with a gorgeous interior.

People are morons.

No Love

Banned
Uninformed idiots who shop for a badge as opposed to the quality of a car. Somehow a shitty German CLA250 or A3 or a lowly 128/320I is better than a Japanese sports sedan built on a fantastic platform with a gorgeous interior.

People are morons.

I 100% agree. A A3/CLA 250/C250/320i etc are complete garbage compared to the Q50.

When the time comes to buy my mom a new car, it'll probably be a 6 speed G37/Q50. She loves driving manuals and I feel like the G37/Q50 is the perfect car for her. Great engine, somewhat quick, fun to drive, and super comfortable. And uber reliable.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I mentioned this previously, but I applied for a job at GM. I just got in contact with someone at HR today, I'm pretty happy about that.

I'm going to follow my dreams now.

Reven

I mentioned this previously, but I applied for a job at GM. I just got in contact with someone at HR today, I'm pretty happy about that.

I'm going to follow my dreams now.

Congrats man, hope it works out. And if you get some real power there you have to make them sell Utes in the US.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Congrats man, hope it works out. And if you get some real power there you have to make them sell Utes in the US.

Isn't a Chevrolet Colorado good enough? :p

I just want them to sell the Opel Adam in the US, we need more cute hatchbacks.

But I established I wanted a Chevrolet Volt MkII most of all.

Luigiv

Because no one knows what Infiniti is and why they sell these Q dealies. If Nissan where smart, theyed scrap Infiniti and just bring the Skyline name back. People loved Skylines.

AlphaSnake

Because no one knows what Infiniti is and why they sell these Q dealies. If Nissan where smart, theyed scrap Infiniti and just bring the Skyline name back. People loved Skylines.

Who loved Skylines?

Americans have no idea what a Skyline is.

Infiniti has been well established in the US for 15 years now. The G35 dethroned the BMW 3-series sedan and coupe and it did it twice in the press! It was on the cover of every magazine numerous times. The rivalry was fierce. Now magazines are less relevant, but still the 2000s made Infiniti a huge name. The FX introduced the world to a superb SUV, and the M introduced itself as the only mid-size sport sedan actually capable of fighting a 5-series.

In NY, Miami, and Los Angeles Infinitis sell like hotcakes.

mkenyon

Banned

I fucking love my EX35. It's better equipped and every single driving dynamic/feel is superior compared to my my old man's 535i, and definitely ahead of his old X3. Even he is eyeballing whatever Q thing is the M56 successor.

I see many more Infinitis in my future.

And FWIW, they seem to do well here in the Pac NW.

Who loved Skylines?

I want to disagree coz I still remember finding out about 10 years ago that the G35 was a Skyline in disguise and how my mind got blown right after. In fact one of my dreams is to get a G35 and switch that Infiniti emblem at the back with a Skyline one lol.

But yeah, Americans definitely have no idea what a Skyline is... unless you watched Initial D and the Fast and Furious movies back then lol.

I think the only issue the G35's had was the Brembo brake failure or something like that spanned from '03 to '07 I believe. Otherwise, they were perfectly good cars that actually managed to steal some market share away from the Germans. Of course it didn't have the selling power that Lexus' commanded, and tbh I believe that's still true today, but they've definitely carved out their own niche for when 370Z owners are looking for a 4 door Z or buyers who are looking for a more sportier sedan that isn't a Beemer or Benz.

Luigiv

Who loved Skylines?

Infiniti has been well established in the US for 15 years now. The G35 dethroned the BMW 3-series sedan and coupe and it did it twice in the press! It was on the cover of every magazine numerous times. The rivalry was fierce. Now magazines are less relevant, but still the 2000s made Infiniti a huge name. The FX introduced the world to a superb SUV, and the M introduced itself as the only mid-size sport sedan actually capable of fighting a 5-series.

In NY, Miami, and Los Angeles Infinitis sell like hotcakes.

Their loss. The skyline name is legendary where I come from.

TylerD

You can get a fully loaded, 1 yr old Q50 sport AWD for mid 30s. That is one hell of a deal. I have to add that to my list of possibilities.

Uhh...
http://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/gt-86/15229/toyota-gt86-revised-in-japan-luxury-style-cb-model-added

[IG]http://cdn2.evo.co.uk/sites/evo/files/styles/gallery_adv/public/toyota-86-cb-ftqred.jpg?itok=GQ5Dynpz[/IMG]

This is not a photoshop, either. That's OEM. Toyota is releasing an FRS with a "luxury" front end. That's it. No other real differences besides...whatever that is supposed to be.

lol.

There are special editions too, such as the new Toyota 86 ‘style Cb’ (for ‘Cool beauty’)

J-Rzez

Alright, so I'm in the market for a new family car. I want it to be fun and AWD, so I'm looking at a Evo X (09'-12') and a STI (10'-13').

The ringland issues still bothers me with these engines though. Whenever I get close to swinging sides, I'm reminded of my friends STI that went pop while it was still stock.

The interior of the Evo's looks rather bland, and cheap. And the sound? Even with the Rockford Fosgate package, the sound is still flat. I do like the Recaro seats (I'm all about those heated leather seats in the winter time). Overall, I give the interior edge to Subaru. It's more complete, and looks a heck of a lot less cheap (for the Canadian prices).

Both have a wonderful aftermarket, so either way I'll be modding (lightly). Simple bolt-ons, and away I go.

So then people, who's owned either of the above models? Any insight you'd like to share with me?

Unfortunately I don't have any friends who currently own Evo's, mostly STi's. I haven't had real seat time in a X in YEARS. Only test drives recently.

I was in that market for a few years and never pulled the trigger. Having an Evo 8, the 9, and 10 were not improvements enough. In fact, the X "felt" too big. Didn't feel as nimble/go-kart like to me. Granted, ultimately, the AWD in it was KILLER for the price knowing fully at the limits it would hand my 8 it's ass in handling. The X has a good aftermarket, and the 4B11, while not as good as the prior engine that is a legend, is pretty decent and vastly superior to the EJ25.

Those years STIs felt floaty, not sharp enough for me. While the interior was superior to the X, the ride/handling sucked in those years STIs. And that PoS motor... stay away from it. That motor alone was the reason I didn't buy a 15 STI despite the incredible transformation they made to the handling of it.

Thus, I bought a 15 WRX instead, and it is a fantastic car. It "feels" like my Evo 8, handles like it. It also handles incredibly flat, seriously, no squat/dive like my Evo 8 in corners even. It's interior is pretty damn fantastic for what you pay. Great MPG, great handling, great power, great fun, and great practicality/safety. I highly, highly recommend the car. Just have money for a stereo because it blows. Don't buy the overpriced junk Subaru offers as an option/accessory. Spend 1/5th of that and get some aftermarket stuff that will sound fantastic.

That said, I hope Subaru gets their act together with the STI. They really fucked up putting that EJ25 in the new STI, really missed a chance to capitalize there. Instead, I have to wait for the inevitable FA20DIT variant. If that doesn't happen, hello Ford Focus RS in 2016.

Why? Turbocharge it already. NO ONE asked for this to happen.

Jesus.

From the maker who dominated the 90's of import performance cars with the All-Trac/GT-Four, MR2, and Supra, to now the company without a pulse basically. They have NO clue what the hell they're doing. We all know the FA20 is an incredible motor when force fed, so do it. People been crying for this before the car launched. Hell, I told all their reps (not the kids) at the NYIAS and they were well aware of it and said Toyota of Japan was the main issue here, and they make the call. Such an ignorant company. I just hope they don't destroy the "Supra" namesake in the near future.

Momentary

Banned

Lizardus

I'm just not feeling this. It looks like they cut the front of another car and glued it to the cabin. Kind of resembles some sort of modernized 94 Celica.

Looks like the front end of a Maserati Granturismo.

From the maker who dominated the 90's of import performance cars with the All-Trac/GT-Four, MR2, and Supra, to now the company without a pulse basically. They have NO clue what the hell they're doing. We all know the FA20 is an incredible motor when force fed, so do it. People been crying for this before the car launched. Hell, I told all their reps (not the kids) at the NYIAS and they were well aware of it and said Toyota of Japan was the main issue here, and they make the call. Such an ignorant company. I just hope they don't destroy the "Supra" namesake in the near future.

If they want to bring luxury, they should bring the Mark X

Ty4on

Uhh...
http://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/gt-86/15229/toyota-gt86-revised-in-japan-luxury-style-cb-model-added

toyota-86-cb-ftqred.jpg

This is not a photoshop, either. That's OEM. Toyota is releasing an FRS with a "luxury" front end. That's it. No other real differences besides...whatever that is supposed to be.

I love the homage to the 2000GT, but it looks a bit expensive if it really is almost twice the price.
That's odd? :p
English has an odd status in non-English speaking countries.

AlphaSnake

Has anyone seen the Mercedes GLE? It's a monstrosity of a thing (that quite frankly I blame BMW for). It can't help but look downright ugly, it's the nature of these hideous beasts, like the X6.

But I have to wonder, when designers pen a car do they ever step back from the drawing board/screen/chalk board/doodling wall, gander at their artistry and ask themselves "hmmm...does this look like shit? Yes. Okay, well does this remind me of someone else's shit? Hmmm. I can't think of it. Maybe Gunther, Hanz, or Dietrich can chime in. Hey guys! What do you think? It's unique right?"

10993087_10152717160357825_5327088557601330030_n.jpg

"Ya! Es ist fantastisch!"

Except you just designed a Buick Verano with a 6-inch lift.

2013-buick-verano-left-rear.jpg

Top Bottom