• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Cars are meant to be bought by investment bankers and stored in a climate controlled garages.

Heathens.

I hope they enjoy their time on earth coz when they're at the pearly gates, he's sending them to car hell which is a Greyhound bus full of crackheads and Keystone Light.

matmanx1

Apparently, the Honda dealer, where that guy that crashed his car got his, has another one coming this week and selling at close to msrp. I have no idea why my wife is on the wait list for it, but I'm more than ok with her getting one even though she has no idea to drive a manual.

Haha, you have a cool wife. My wife is like most folks in that a car, to her, is an appliance. She's very understanding about my car mania but shares none of my enthusiasm. On the plus side she's the one who bought me the gift certificate for the track time at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta and has signed off on the "Macan GTS in 2020" plan. She's a lot cooler about my car hobby than she could be and I am appreciative of that.

Guy at work drives a mazdaspeed Miata. All stock and well maintained. Looks gorgeous.

Obviously a gentleman of high class and exceptional taste. Give him a brofist/high five/hand shake from me someday. ;-)

dohdough

Haha, you have a cool wife. My wife is like most folks in that a car, to her, is an appliance. She's very understanding about my car mania but shares none of my enthusiasm. On the plus side she's the one who bought me the gift certificate for the track time at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta and has signed off on the "Macan GTS in 2020" plan. She's a lot cooler about my car hobby than she could be and I am appreciative of that.

She's like your wife too in terms of seeing cars as an appliance, but has moved away from Camry's thank god. We need a second car and narrowed it down to the Impreza or another WRX. Personally, I think that she'll absolutely love the Is350, but it's also 50k new, so that's out of the running. I kind of feel that if she goes with a WRX, we should wait until the refresh in case it comes in a hatch though, so chances are that we'll have a new Impreza in a few weeks.

Crayon

So I was in NYC all of last week, visiting family and such.

I went to Williamsburg late night and if you've never been, it's basically the mecca of hipsters. And I guess only in Williamsburg is it apt that you'd find a vintage Morgan...parallel parked outside. And around the corner? A red 1st gen Mustang. I don't know why, but it triggered me. It just felt like those folks bought the cars for the sake of their vintage appeal, and don't care enough to preserve them by garaging them or something. I guess it's the general pretentiousness of the area that made it all worse to witness hahaha

Date nite cars. A vintage ride will make a more memorable impression on a young lady when she's seen every luxury car under the sun. Plus it's a more subtle flaunt of wealth than something like an modern exotic. Bonus points if you can treat it like nothing special. Get drive thru in it. Smoke in it. Paralell park it. Etc.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Date nite cars. A vintage ride will make a more memorable impression on a young lady when she's seen every luxury car under the sun. Plus it's a more subtle flaunt of wealth than something like an modern exotic. Bonus points if you can treat it like nothing special. Get drive thru in it. Smoke in it. Paralell park it. Etc.

I tried to convince myself of the same...but it was 2AM and parked in front of residential buildings. No date night cars. :'(

AlphaSnake

Cars are meant to be driven.

While I agree wholeheartedly...in Williamsburg people buy vintage shit at thrift stores just because it's old. They don't care or appreciate the history behind it. If you ask the owners of those cars about other historic and decorated manufacturers, dollars to donuts they'll have no idea.

Example: I'm one of those people who if I see someone wearing a band/music tee I'll compliment it or point it out. I saw a guy wearing a Zeppelin shirt and I said to him "reunion tour will happen one day, man". His response was "oh, I just like the shirt".

Wtf?

So I was in NYC all of last week, visiting family and such.

I went to Williamsburg late night and if you've never been, it's basically the mecca of hipsters. And I guess only in Williamsburg is it apt that you'd find a vintage Morgan...parallel parked outside. And around the corner? A red 1st gen Mustang. I don't know why, but it triggered me. It just felt like those folks bought the cars for the sake of their vintage appeal, and don't care enough to preserve them by garaging them or something. I guess it's the general pretentiousness of the area that made it all worse to witness hahaha

So no buying nice cars if we don't have access to a garage...?

Crayon

I tried to convince myself of the same...but it was 2AM and parked in front of residential buildings. No date night cars. :'(

Damn really. Just kicking it out there huh. There must be some explanation. Well... Maybe it's like you said and they don't really give a fuck. Someone just got it to use like a regular car and figures they'll let the insurance worry about it.

Need a quick opinion:

C63 AMG Coupe. Pre-approved already, going to look at it in an hour.

What's the word on it overall relative to similarly priced competitors? Performance? Tech?

Thanks, folks.

AlphaSnake

Need a quick opinion:

C63 AMG Coupe. Pre-approved already, going to look at it in an hour.

What's the word on it overall relative to similarly priced competitors? Performance? Tech?

Thanks, folks.

What year? Are you talking last gen? Or new one?

Last gen wasn't a great car. Jerky transmission issues. Outdated interior. Most models had no rear-diff.

New car is sexy fire.

AlphaSnake

TFGB

Spent the morning detailing Storm for his big day tomorrow visiting his birthplace. He's a bit excited.(So am I!)

MQduFKe.jpg

matmanx1

She's like your wife too in terms of seeing cars as an appliance, but has moved away from Camry's thank god. We need a second car and narrowed it down to the Impreza or another WRX. Personally, I think that she'll absolutely love the Is350, but it's also 50k new, so that's out of the running. I kind of feel that if she goes with a WRX, we should wait until the refresh in case it comes in a hatch though, so chances are that we'll have a new Impreza in a few weeks.

Have you checked out the Mazda 6? Better looks, interior and transmission vs the Impreza. It isnt a Subie but it is a good car in that segment.

Anybody else love Hoovie's Garage?

He is intentionally cheesy and hammy, and it sort of cracks me up. He just bought a 2005 745i for $3400. That's 95% depreciation. It's all sorts of whacked, but hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdXfFEt21aQ

Also, some guy bought a 2006 S65 AMG for $3750. That's 98% depreciation. Original sticker was $200K. How much of it works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vO306Vh1w

I haven't but I will check it ou.

Spent the morning detailing Storm for his big day tomorrow visiting his birthplace. He's a bit excited.(So am I!)

MQduFKe.jpg

Wow, that looks incredible. It's so clean you could eat off of it.
I would never eat off of it

And finally, where have I been all of my life that I have never seen this video before? This is completely awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTGvHskGKI4 CTR Yellowbird at the Nurburgring.

What year? Are you talking last gen? Or new one?

Last gen wasn't a great car. Jerky transmission issues. Outdated interior. Most models had no rear-diff.

New car is sexy fire.

The current version on sale.

As it were....I went and became mostly smitten with the new E400 Coupe.

That shit was hot fire in my test drive, and that bigass screen and wood finish hit all the right notes for me. And it's less than I am paying for my 435.

Probably will be in one in the next 7-10 days.

Crayon

That shit was hot fire in my test drive, and that bigass screen and wood finish hit all the right notes for me. And it's less than I am paying for my 435.

I just looked at a picture of 2dr e400. That is beautiful. Finally a couple that looks right!

jamsy

B-b-b-but.....that V8....

Yeah, I totally get the E class love. Gorgeous cars. Styling wise I'm a bit more partial to the C430 than the E400 but both are super handsome.

dohdough

Have you checked out the Mazda 6? Better looks, interior and transmission vs the Impreza. It isnt a Subie but it is a good car in that segment.

I kinda want AWD since we have two little ones. Along with snow tires, I think of it as an extra precaution in bad winter weather. I also test drove an Impreza this evening and I was absolutely shocked at how well it handles. Having a WRX engine would make this car a no-brainer since the car feels so underpowered.

I'm still holding out hope that she'll get the CTR though! I can't tell if she's joking or not.

Pinewood

So across my space at the parking spot has been a gray Alfa Giulia diesel a couple of times with the retailer stickers. Im guessing they are renting the place since they are close by.

Yesterday morning there was a blue Giulia Veloce there instead. God it looks so good, makes me feel they put it there on purpose to tease me.

AlphaSnake

Article states it only warranties from a particular issue and not every issue?

Ah yeah, reading in between the lines. You're right:

Engine warranty extended to 10 years/120,000 miles with respect to failures related to this specific issue (from in-service date)
- Warranty extension is fully transferrable – Covers all current and future 991.1 GT3 owners with no action required by the owner
- If an engine fails as a result of this issue the defective engine will be replaced with a new engine that has the revised parts (no more top end rebuilds)
- Includes all markets (this is global, not just for US owners)

Still, I guess it does help calm the worry quite a bit.

Was bored. Started an Instagram page for spotting cars:

https://www.instagram.com/lockingdiff/

User not found... did you delete it already?

Also, you should set up an email or something and let us submit some pics lol.

Yes, I get next Friday off so that means I get to go to Monterey ^_^

Man I'm jelly.

One of these days, maybe next year, I'll be attending the Miata's at Laguna Seca thing. If I didn't have to take a weekend off in October for a bachelor party, I'd probably there this year.

Driving on the corkscrew is at the top of my bucket list.

AlphaSnake

User not found... did you delete it already?

Also, you should set up an email or something and let us submit some pics lol.

Man I'm jelly.

One of these days, maybe next year, I'll be attending the Miata's at Laguna Seca thing. If I didn't have to take a weekend off in October for a bachelor party, I'd probably there this year.

Driving on the corkscrew is at the top of my bucket list.

Sorry. I changed the handle and didn't realize it changes the URL too.

https://www.instagram.com/locking_diff/

AlphaSnake

New Acura RLX with 380HP. But they couldn't conceive a new interior? A front end that isn't as busy? LEDs on LEDs? What the fuck? That fucking beak is worse than before. The taillights look like altered versions of the last gen 7-series.

Acura is absolutely lost as a company. They have no identity. If Lincoln can make a comeback and Acura can't...then Honda's got some serious issues over there.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/08/10...ille-nsx-technology-powertrain/#slide-6841097

burgerdog

New Acura RLX with 380HP. But they couldn't conceive a new interior? A front end that isn't as busy? LEDs on LEDs? What the fuck? That fucking beak is worse than before. The taillights look like altered versions of the last gen 7-series.

Acura is absolutely lost as a company. They have no identity. If Lincoln can make a comeback and Acura can't...then Honda's got some serious issues over there.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/08/10...ille-nsx-technology-powertrain/#slide-6841097

with a sea of LEDs lighting up the face.

No lies detected. Holy shit, Xzibit would be proud.

AlphaSnake

No lies detected. Holy shit, Xzibit would be proud.

Thing is...what makes it offensive is that LED strip that looks like a leftover strip from the outgoing Audi A8. It's just unnecessary. My mom has a 2016 Acura RDX, and the exterior is so clean and nice, and it also has those jeweled LEDs. But this and that grille and the tails, my God...they just took it to another level of gaudy. Acura is supposed to be the Japanese Audi. Understated, but respected.

Now, they're just trying to outdo Lexus in hideousness. It's like 4 cars merged into one. Truly awful.

2018-acura-rlx-ogi.jpg

And those chrome side "vents". What a nauseating looking thing. It's truly one of the worst looking luxury cars since the Bangle Butt 745i.

Edit: Holy shit. The fog lamps! MORE LEDS!

ameratsu

The grill on the 2017 RDX is unbelievably horrible looking. It's just so bad, maybe the worst looking grill pattern and shape on any vehicle sold today.

AlphaSnake

The grill on the 2017 RDX is unbelievably horrible looking. It's just so bad, maybe the worst looking grill pattern and shape on any vehicle sold today.

MDX. Not RDX.

The RDX is unchanged from 2016 and 2017 and retains the more subtle grille.

Acura is boring as hell these days.

I'd pretty much buy a Honda over any Acura as the fully loaded Accords are basically identical.

They have no identity, no soul. They tout the NSX as being their Halo car for inspiration but they don't even have anything remotely sporty.

The ILX is garbage, the TLX is uninteresting, and that's about it as far as the lineup is concerned.

At least Lexus is trying with the RC-F, GS-F, and LC500. The latter two are supposed to be quite good actually. And at the same time they have their boring ES and IS models too

Acura needs to take a page from Lexus and Infiniti on how to create a compelling luxury brand.

I'm a huge Honda fanboy but as I outgrow my Civic Si I don't see a whole lot in the lineup that interests me. Maybe the 2018 Accord, but that's about it. As I look to my next car I'm looking at Infiniti perhaps or even a German lease.

Also, some guy bought a 2006 S65 AMG for $3750. That's 98% depreciation. Original sticker was $200K. How much of it works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vO306Vh1w

Haha looks like none of it. Except the one thing that matters, that big ass v12 up front. For under 4000. Fucking crazy. Has to be some kind of weird effect of people being scared away by a perceived high running cost while it not having value as a collector's item - yet at least. There's no doubt that cars like that are bound to come back up sometime in the future. However, all those useless gadgets that will keep breaking from now till forever no doubt put a bit of a damper on that.

Damnit.

Are the fixes for the IMS on 996 and Boxsters permanent?

Haha, I certainly hope so.

I dropped two grand on an IMS replacement bearing for my 986 Boxster S, the LN variant. Did it last year, been going strong for about 10.000 kilometers now and I hope it'll keep for a hell of a lot more ;).

(Actually it's rated for 160.000 kilometers.)

Yeah, I've been a Honda guy for more than a decade and I had to switch to Porsche to get what I wanted in an upscale car this time around. Kind of sad, since the TL-S and TSX were both damn great cars. Then, boredom.

jamsy

Yeah, I really don't know what happened with Acura, either.

My last car (and the first car I bought entirely with my own money) was a 2007 Acura TL, which I think is still a very good automobile (I looked at the Type-S but decided the 28 extra HP weren't worth thousands of extra dollars I'd have to spend). And the engine was pretty good too. Aside from a broken tire pressure gauge and the bluetooth adapter (which failed just a month ago) never had any issues with this car. Yeah, the ride is a bit harsh and the city mileage wasn't fantastic ( I used to get like 18mpg driving in SF), but everything else was pretty great, especially all the options and features, which were standard. It still looks fantastic and drives really well.

Most everything since has been some sort of hideous.

Yeah, I had a 2004 TSX 6MT and until now, it's been the best handling car I've ever owned. It had an amazing stick in it too, best I've ever driven. Clean, handsome, understated styling. All they'd have to do is slap an LSD, more modern stereo and a turbo 4 cylinder in it and it'd still be the best car in its segment.

But no, we get the ILX instead 😬

AlphaSnake

Yeah, I really don't know what happened with Acura, either.

My last car (and the first car I bought entirely with my own money) was a 2007 Acura TL, which I think is still a very good automobile (I looked at the Type-S but decided the 28 extra HP weren't worth thousands of extra dollars I'd have to spend). And the engine was pretty good too. Aside from a broken tire pressure gauge and the bluetooth adapter (which failed just a month ago) never had any issues with this car. Yeah, the ride is a bit harsh and the city mileage wasn't fantastic ( I used to get like 18mpg driving in SF), but everything else was pretty great, especially all the options and features, which were standard. It still looks fantastic and drives really well.

Most everything since has been some sort of hideous.

The 3rd gen TL was an absolute gem of a car. Looks stunning even today, down to the well aged interior. The 4th gen car looks like the 3rd gen was stung by an army of wasps and ballooned up into the whale that's been with us ever since. It's been downhill for the TL ever since.

Top Bottom