• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Utawarerumono - 03

Keeps on being a charming, fun and soothing show. I can't bring myself to dislike anyone. Soundtrack keeps on being terrific in regards to the setting.
I think this is my biggest surprise of the season so far, having no knowledge it existed beforehand.

Kokopo best bird.
ax5wf0f.jpg
yMJXlEr.jpg

pbayne

haikyuu 3

They gave Yachi a lot more than I expected which was quite nice.

Who was that at the end of the preveiw headbutting the locker? He was wearing a Kardauno jersey so was it the little giant? Dude looked fucking mental.

Yes so glad you gave this animated classic a try. I can never forget Angel Beats and its conclusion. One of the best and most emotional anime of the past 15 years, up there with Guilty Crown, Anohana, and more.

Yes! Despite the short sighted relationship/ character development in areas, it was an awesome experience and one of my favs.. that final scene ...

the thing is, i'd love to see it continue, but at the same time the way it wrapped up was so perfect that it doesn't need to

i'm gonna read the prequel mangas when i can... do we know what the upcoming VN is about?

also,
the train scene is the most emotional fucking scene i've watched in any anime. holy shit that hit me hard.

Mr.Jeff

3 more films at the filmhouse. Shitty rambling thoughts about each.

Miss Hokusai
A really odd experience this. While it takes time to introduce each of the characters in turn, it feels like these character dynamics have already been set in stone long before the film starts and the viewer is merely interrupting a story in progress. This idea is then reinforced by the unusual narrative which, perhaps because it is treated more a a biography, lacks any central theme beyond O-Ei and to a lesser extent her Father. The film is more like a sequence of hand picked individual stories from something larger but which don't necessarily strictly follow on in the same order.

O-Ei herself is a really interesting character since she's fairly reticent. Most of her internal thoughts revolve around her father while little dialogue is spared at all for the situations she finds herself in. Yet emotions still come across clearly despite nothing really keying you into them such as the scene where she finds herself frustrated that her paintings are superior technically but lacking in (in this case) eroticism.

I also hadn't expected the film to have such a supernatural angle to some of the stories. While a certain amount of skepticism is still present from the cast, it's unusual to see a realistic series such as that approach if with such a tone of "this is real, this is a thing that happens". It reinforces the idea that despite some of the vast being rather down to earth, their acceptance that spiritual and otherworldly things occur.

My one criticism I think would be in the film's score. For a film based on a series about nailing down a accurate portayal of early 19th century Japan, it frequently uses tracks with heavy use of electric guitar which jolt you out of the movie somewhat.

Empire of Corpses
The explanation given at the start was that Project Itoh wrote 30 pages of the original book before he died and his friend took over the rest. It's not stated how far into the movie this takes us but it certainly feels like a movie where after a certain point, nothing no longer makes any sense.

The central problem with this is that Watson's primary drive throughout the movie is his desire to resurrect? reanimate? his friend Friday. The problem from this is that there is never any indication why Watson strives so hard for the sake of his friend; almost nothing is given away of their background beyond the vague, hazy friend aspect.
In fact, the majority of the characters' motivations are equally either lacking or obfuscated in technical jargon that renders them incoherent.

The final climactic scene is an impressive, visual spectacle but with protagonist and antagonist shouting back and forth in nebulous terms interspersed with internal jargon that leaves you baffled what's going on and why things occur the way they do. Reasons and motivations are paper thin at best.

Some pretty obnoxious CG crowds as well.

A Case of Alice and Hana
Clements at the start described this as a great film about honest, teenager silliness and it's a pretty on the button remark. While the premise and behaviour of some people can stretch credulity, the dialogue between characters in the movie is really earnest and believable. Classmates talk to each other as you'd expect rather than belabouring the point in slower, more deliberate tones.
The chemistry of Alice and Hana themselves is really fun and engaging. While this is the story of how they become friends, they nonetheless act as you'd expect 2 young teenagers would act. Their silly day to day antics provide plenty of humour from just really mundane situations.
Lastly, the credits of the film show off to one side, a sped up retelling of the film from presumably the original storyboards. While there's obviously scenes which have had minor changes to the composition, it's interesting to note that the final scene is evidently cut from the film.

Teekyu S1

IHzI06D.gif

Teekyu S2

ADRCypq.gif

Teekyu S3

bewPImi.gif

Teekyu S4

WhQtp9U.gif

Teekyu S5

C0iJEX2.gif

Teekyu Spinoff

lN9leqw.gif

Like a visual display of cocaine. The more I watch the more I like it, it's like Stockholm Syndrome. It is 100% impossible to comment on though so I had to resort to using gifs like a memester. I'll wait until S6 is over to watch it because watching this weekly is probably awful.

Spice and Wolf 1-2

Ok this is interesting. Animation is pretty meh but Holo is amazing. I love the way she speaks. Hilarious how she has a barbie body though.

The ending theme is also really adorable. Very whimsical.

One could always comment on the masterpiece that is the Teekyu Tournament arc.

----

Never really enjoyed the spinoff that much though, compared to the original series.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry - 03

Fluster overload. I think this action scene had some cool camera work. I still don't like the katana shit, so props for at least not using it to block bullets!
Soundtrack was pretty good in certain sections as well, I wish there was more of the track that started at Stella's fire serpent.

A few of Stella's attempts for attention I found surprisingly amusing. I also have a weakness for the jiiiiii~ and can't get enough of shit-eating grins:

e_i

Valkyrie Drive episode 1

So this show is about lesbians who have to get each other off so they can turn into weapons and beat the shit out of other?

I approve.

rpmurphy

Peeping Life 3

Probably the only person still watching this. The sketches in this one are pretty funny though. Astro Boy still a little shit, Luna ripping a new one out of Casshern, and the vacationing couple (my power levels are pretty low on these so no idea what series they're from.. original characters?) are amusing.

Utah-warehouse-unmono 3

lol this fucking bird

I can't tell if we have an anime where the chocobo is violent tsundere or if she's the best wingman ever. Regardless I laugh at how the show seems to be embracing the DTL jokes. And next week it might go even forward. Also princess is thirsty for Haku.

Niuya drew some Haikyuu/Oofuri crossover arts, very good stuff.

tG0XghQ.jpg

vI0uHje.jpg

Yc95hIt.jpg

Those are pretty awesome. It's funny how Mihashi and Hinata have kind of similar designs, but they're basically polar opposites in terms of personality.

Let's hurry up with getting a third season of Ookiku Furikabutte. There's more than enough manga material at this point.

Jarmel

Banned
Haikyuu 2-3
Still damn good. The thing I've been liking about this season is the different direction in that they're using the new manager to juxtaposition with Hinata. It gives him someone new to play off of and does well to highlight how driven the team is. Surprisingly enough that works as a way of distinguishing the second season from the first, something that wasn't necessary given how great the show already was, so it feels more like a sequel rather than a direct continuation. It also allows for more character growth besides the main cast, which is always appreciated.

The ending was a bit too heart-warming though but whatever.

Anyone know which version of Fate Zero Unlimited Bladeworks is on netflix? Seems like there are a few versions.

There is a movie adaptation and a recent TV series adaptation. It looks like Netflix has the first half of the TV show.

Names rings a bell. Wasn't this a show that aired around 2005 or 2006? Are they remaking it, sequel or something else?

The game Utawarerumono 2 just came out, which is a sequel to the first game set in the same world but following different characters. This anime adaptation is tied to the promotion of this new game.

I think you're one of the few person I've seen prefer season 2 over 1 considering how nothing really happens in 2 while 1 at least has some progress. The only thing I can remember from 2 is the mom arc but other than that it was unremarkable.

Season 2 had fewer episodes that I actively disliked. It was boring but it was shorter so it gets a pass for those reasons.

---

Umaru 04

Still don't like Umaru's attitude. Her gamer get up is cute though.

Cornbread78

Cavelry ep.3
Well, that was a pretty good episode. I mean useless, evil, fanservice never hurt, right? OK well, that action sequence was pretty cool but that new guy is a douche, so I can't wait until Ikki wrecks his shit up next week.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Haikyuu 2-3

Still damn good. The thing I've been liking about this season is the different direction in that they're using the new manager to juxtaposition with Hinata. It gives him someone new to play off of and does well to highlight how driven the team is. Surprisingly enough that works as a way of distinguishing the second season from the first, something that wasn't necessary given how great the show already was, so it feels more like a sequel rather than a direct continuation. It also allows for more character growth besides the main cast, which is always appreciated.

The ending was a bit too heart-warming though but whatever.

Lol. Too heart-warming? Are you the grinch?

Cavalry 03

and

Asterisk 03

So this week I prefered Asterisk. Cavalry's jokes weren't as funny and I'll be honest and say that I wish that the main heroine wasn't as Tsun as she is. Cavalry is still winning 2-1, but from now onwards I could easily see Asterisk's more focused narrative winning me over.

There's a reason why he's cynical and has some trust issues in the original Black Jack series when he's all grown up.

His past life was absolute suffering.

Do those thorns that keep showing up in this one also show up in the original series? What exactly are they trying to represent? Evil?? Pain??

Cornbread78

Asterix ep.3
Ok, that was a really good episode. The tone change and backstory were great and the action was pretty good. I think they may be rushing the emotional part of the story a little bit, but that ending was really good and really drives forward the plotline better that Cavelry did this week. Pinning these two shows against each other every week is going to be fun.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
It got resolved a bit too cleanly, especially the scene afterwards with the mother helping her with the poster. It was too much.
I thought it was... Heart warming. Nice things can happen! Plus that's all the exposition she's going to get once we get to volleyball crunch time. Might as well resolve it.

Utawarerumono 03

LOOOOOL FUCKING DEAD.
I THOUGHT THE FRIGGIN BIRD WAS THE ONE TALKING TO HAKU!
Btw that Ushotoru looks an awful lot like Haku at the end, hmmm.

Title of comfiest show of the season goes to this. Even with a bit of action and all, it's such a "feel good" show.

They represent Jesus which is why it showed blood dripping from his face.

Basically saying Hazama is Medical Jesus. Which isn't off the mark.

Ahh, I see makes sense!

Hyouka 17-22

I now feel empty after such a good anime and it's worst with that ending...god dammit!
Everything was so good.

Anyone think they will adapt the last manga?

Cornbread78

Utawareru ep.3
I'm really enjoying this show as well. I guess something had to save the fall season. The bird stole the show this week for sure. Look at all you closet pervs cheering on the kitty tail and tail, lol.

Edit: As slice said above me, our MC gave no fucks about it either, lol.

Our MC is probably one of the most oddly written ones I've seen for sure and definitely not OP.

Owarimonogatari 03

That was excellent. I really don't know what else I can say about it. I liked the story and it made sense. I am kinda worried for Araragi though. That guy's memory is as shitty as it gets. No wonder the girl hates his guts lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom