• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had to talk about disappointing shows, two come to mind. Both of which I wouldn't throw into the bad category, but they failed to live up to expectations.

First, the third season of High School DxD was pretty disappointing. It lacked the over the top nature of previous season, clearly struggled budget wise, and ended in a really awkward place. I'm hoping that if we get another season, it returns to the fun over the top fanservice romp that I really liked.

Next, and this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who reads my posts...
74415.jpg

Gangsta.

Gangsta was a show that tuned out a couple of really fun episodes, and then it became apparent something was wrong. Budget wise the show tanked around episode 7. And we all know what happened to Manglobe...

And I would say the ending was bad, but that would imply Gangsta had an ending.

Gangsta just stops.

Quite a few anime I've watched this year ended up being better than I expected, most recently Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie and Boruto. I guess if I had to pick a disappointment, it would be some of the Animator Expo entries, most notably Robot on the Road, an example of how Okiura should stick to animation and stop writing.

Apparently everyone hates Aldnoah.Zero.

This makes me happy.

I've said it before, but mutual hatred it the best foundation for a good friendship.

Also I finished all my finals, save for the one I just have to turn in tomorrow.

That also makes me happy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Whilst I don't really agree, I guess it says something that my no brainer #1 is a show that most people probably think of as from last year.
That's basically it. It's why I joke that I'm selling my votes for this year's ballot. So if AnimeGAF's Donald Trump wants to scare me into voting for him, this is the best time. lol

Kansoku

I don't hate AZ. Season 1 is perfectly fine, Season 2 is a stepdown, sure. It had potential if the characters actually
stayed dead
. Objectively it'snot good. But it was entertaining enough for me not to drop it. Just that dumb kind of entertainment that you indulge yourself once in a while to change things up.

So, what is everyone's top 3 most hated anime this year?

Aldnoah Zero S2 - should have ended with season 1 which was actually okay
Classroom Crisis - biggest waste of time
Asterisk - I can only take so much tropeyness in my shows. Also fuck head patting.

Apparently everyone hates Aldnoah.Zero.

This makes me happy.

I've said it before, but mutual hatred it the best foundation for a good friendship.

Also I finished all my finals, save for the one I just have to turn in tomorrow.

That also makes me happy.

Thank god for Uber. I had my times wrong, and I basically left my house when the exam started. Public transit is usually a 1hr ride. The man got me there in 30mins, and I was able to finish the exam with everyone else.

Quasar

That's basically it. It's why I joke that I'm selling my votes for this year's ballot. So if AnimeGAF's Donald Trump wants to scare me into voting for him, this is the best time. lol

Yeah well, whilst my #1 was a no brainer show mostly from last year, when I sat down I found most of the 2-10 was a tight race with lost of things I really liked and things I really liked got left out. Which surprised me as I thought I might have had trouble making a 10.

One interesting thing I guess is of the 10, two started at the end of last year and crossed over into 2015 and two are from this season (assuming they don't screw the pooch with their last episodes).

The sad thing though is that with my draft top 10 its almost all either sequels to stuff I liked or based on material I already read and liked. Basically nothing I was getting for the first time. The one exception is Sound Euphonium.

Clov

It wasn't as strong of a year as last year, but how can any year possibly beat new works from Yuasa and Nagahama coming out around the same time? That's so high of a bar that it's not even fair.

I enjoyed quite a few things this year, honestly. I can't think of the things I hated as easily. Well, except for one. Chaos Dragon was horrendous. That has to be the worst thing I've watched all year. What a mess!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah well, whilst my #1 was a no brainer show mostly from last year, when I sat down I found most of the 2-10 was a tight race with lost of things I really liked and things I really liked got left out. Which surprised me as I thought I might have had trouble making a 10.

One interesting thing I guess is of the 10, two started at the end of last year and crossed over into 2015 and two are from this season (assuming they don't screw the pooch with their last episodes).

The sad thing though is that with my draft top 10 its almost all either sequels to stuff I liked or based on material I already read and liked. Basically nothing I was getting for the first time. The one exception is Sound Euphonium.
If I make a list, I think it'll mostly be shows I enjoyed but don't feel really strongly about. I just want another Yamato-like show to grab me by the balls and demand my undivided attention and affection. Most of the shows I watched/like this year are your standard 4 girl slice of life mono no aware shows.
Except for Monogatari... which might default to #1 even though I haven't watched it yet. lol

It wasn't as strong of a year as last year, but how can any year possibly beat new works from Yuasa and Nagahama coming out around the same time? That's so high of a bar that it's not even fair.

I enjoyed quite a few things this year, honestly. I can't think of the things I hated as easily. Well, except for one. Chaos Dragon was horrendous. That has to be the worst thing I've watched all year. What a mess!
It's weird. I think GATE is a pretty trash show, but I don't think I hate it. lol
Most of the things that I might have hated I just dropped or didn't watch in the first place... a first for me in terms of being more selective.

Sterok

Glitter Force is going to be exactly how I anticipated it to be. And Glitter Lucky is a hilariously ill-fitting name for her.

Yuru Yuri S3 11

Not Yui's best day. Or Ayano. Or Chinatsu. Kyoko continues to be more mature compared to her previous self.

javac

Nothing for me as per usual this year but I did watch Ping Pong so I finally entered the '"2010's"! Looking ahead, nothing. No idea where to go from here, might re-watch all the Ghibli films and hang up my boots until something else catches my interest...so when Aoki Uru or 3.0+1.0 comes out?! :p

Mature

Nothing for me as per usual this year but I did watch Ping Pong so I finally entered the '"2010's"! Looking ahead, nothing. No idea where to go from here, might re-watch all the Ghibli films and hang up my boots until something else catches my interest...so when Aoki Uru or 3.0+1.0 comes out?! :p
Might as well throw those boots in the garbage.

Line_HTX

So, what is everyone's top 3 most hated anime this year?

Punch Line. Just watching it and its progression pissed me off. First time I was mad at noitaminA or MAPPA.

Chaos Dragon. The sacrifices just to use the power. I couldn't take it anymore.

Gunslinger Stratos. I understand this was some kind of adaptation from the arcade game, but holy shit not only was the story all over the place, the presentation and quality looked worse and worse. It looked good from the promos, but goddamn it looked so awful when it aired. I don't know why it regressed instead of progressing from the promo images.

I really haven't watched much anime at all this year, definitely haven't completed any series. If I watch something these days it is usually with my SO. We started Aoi Hana but then got distracted by other things. (The SO wanted something more happy and less conservative.) We might start watching Yu Yu Hakusho with a friend of theirs.

Russ T

Banned
Seems really divisive.

It was pretty, but its joke wore thin (I laughed the first couple episodes, and then it was just the same thing over and over).

Then it turned Serious Plot and that was just kind of not well done.

Honestly I'd say it was more mediocre than outright bad. Definitely not good, though.

Looking back on it, the reason I stopped watching Punchline was that I was just bored with it.

The humor didn't work for me. The show felt like just a pretty face.

And maybe it does improve, but I wasn't willing to wait for it.

As I've grown older, I find myself less willing to wait for a show to improve. There are occasional exceptions to that, but I think generally when a show doesn't have it together at the start, the future typically isn't bright.

Punchline was average. It's quite distinctly Uchikoshi, particularly episode 6, but it's also kind of underwhelming and anti-climactic. If you're expecting another 999/VLR, this isn't it, but fans of that might like it anyway. Pretty hit or miss.

I'm also pissed the track from the first PV doesn't seem to be a thing anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom