• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then again, I'm not sure what anyone expected. "Yeah the episode was cool, I liked that one part" isn't really prime discussion material

Still better then power level wanking and WHO WOULD WIN???

The only times where a show-specific thread can generate a large amount of interesting discussion is when the overall plot is a mystery with a lot of unanswered questions raised, and people discuss what is going on and what could happen next. That is not going to happen in a thread where most people have already read the source material, and then you just have a bunch of people talking about how they can't wait for this part and a bunch of other people angry that things that haven't happened yet in the anime are being talked about.

Even in shows which offer many possibilities for interesting artistic or thematic discussions, to do so requires a level of knowledge, interest, and concentration that most people do not possess.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
oNpq4vR.jpg
Me with this show.
http://wrongeverytime.com/2015/12/14/hyouka-episode-3/#more-11021

Another excellent Hyouka episode piece. I think I want to have Nicks babies.
I don't really understand why people like this guy. Other than that he likes KyoAni or something. This article is really straightforward in most places and flatly incorrect in others. His characterization of Chitanda is so far off point that it borders fanfiction. Other stuff he goes off on read too deep into things that haven't been translated properly. Some of this guy's reviews on ANN are as full of hot air as it gets...

He's actually completely missing some of the key components to the mystery. One of the reasons the "confrontation" exists with this mystery is Chitanda's family history, and the reaction it can stir from other characters. This is probably one of the more prominent examples of it in the series, and it's what stirs the upperclassman to be so nervous, protective, and uptight.

Russ T

Banned
The only times where a show-specific thread can generate a large amount of interesting discussion is when the overall plot is a mystery with a lot of unanswered questions raised, and people discuss what is going on and what could happen next. That is not going to happen in a thread where most people have already read the source material, and then you just have a bunch of people talking about how they can't wait for this part and a bunch of other people angry that things that haven't happened yet in the anime are being talked about.

Even in shows which offer many possibilities for interesting artistic or thematic discussions, to do so requires a level of knowledge, interest, and concentration that most people do not possess.

Thread would be fine all on its own if manga discussion was just banned. Not sure how enforceable that is.

All the fanart and reactions and gifs make for a fun enough experience on their own, even if the discussion never went beyond that.

Thread would be fine all on its own if manga discussion was just banned. Not sure how enforceable that is.

The only way to do that is to have two threads: one restricted to people who have read the manga, and one restricted to people who haven't. There is no other way to satisfy both groups.

Russ T

Banned
lol just wait until Attack on Titan S2's OT

Haha fortunately I'm not super into that series. But yeah I can imagine...

The only way to do that is to have two threads: one restricted to people who have read the manga, and one restricted to people who haven't. There is no other way to satisfy both groups.

Someone did make a webcomic thread recently, at least. Doesn't seem to have helped... yet?

I know I wouldn't be able to escape all of it in just this thread even, no matter how hard I'd try. Therefore I'll abandon the AnimeGAF OT for the seasons it airs.

Online discussion platforms simply have to be avoided if you're keen about not getting spoilered.

Fuck if I know how I'm supposed to successfully avoid GoT book 6 spoilers when the TV series is now mostly (if not entirely) ahead of the books and still covers the main plot points. Even if I were to shut the internet off, it'd be nigh impossible not to overhear it in any public place >.<

And since you can't verify anyone, it's an impossible thing to do. Rather sooner than later there would be some suspiciously well thought through speculations.

Line_HTX

Man, that thread is going to suck so hard. I admit I've read up to 67 (?) I don't remember, but all I care about is how it looks animated. I don't want to be the person to be like, oh boy just wait just because I read the source material.

I understand it's two different mediums. I just want to enjoy the anime on my own terms. I don't like how people just up and go "Manga only or RIOT!" For AoT S2, I know when to keep my mouth shut.

I have not read Soma, but it's not a priority to me. The only thing I read was 116.5, but I enjoy the anime for what it is, good music, COLORS, food almost coming to real life.

Is that wrong to accept that it's different and just an adaptation?

The return of 4Kids editing with name changes and scene cuts.

I doubt there will be anything as amazing as dub Kaiba

Kaiba: "Am I supposed to be scared to attack?"

"Only if destroying an innocent soul disturbs you"

Kaiba:"Nah. As the president of a major corporation, I have to do that everyday."

Line_HTX

I doubt there will be anything as amazing as dub Kaiba

Kaiba: "Am I supposed to be scared to attack?"

"Only if destroying an innocent soul disturbs you"

Kaiba:"Nah. As the president of a major corporation, I have to do that everyday."

Kaiba IS the corporation. That explains his apathy towards people.

So, what is everyone's top 3 most hated anime this year?

Virgin Witch Maria's ending really ruined the series for me. Lance N' Masques is an abomination. CrossANGE was definitely one of the worse shows I watched as well.

I'm sure the worst shows I watched this year are things I've already forgotten about.
Edit: Point in case, I completely forgot about Chaos Dragon.

jgminto

Worst 3 shows for me were the Sunrise Trinity of Horrible.

Build Fighters TRY
G Reco
Cross Ange

At least they redeemed themselves of these awful shows by the end of the year with more Gintama and Gundam Tekketsu.

Phatmac

Not surprised that the OPM thread went to shit considering how many new anime viewers would be angered by fanservice which is common in some anime these days. It derails the topic each time it's brought up.

Oh yeah, Aldnoah Zero S2 was this year...

I take it back, Chaos Dragon wasn't the worst show this year.

Don't get me wrong, Chaos Dragon was the worst produced show I've seen all year, potentially in years, but it didn't fill me with boiling hot pissed filled rage like Aldnoah Fuck You Zero did.

tuffy

"Hate" is a bit strong of a word and I'm usually not too critical of shows I watch, but I thought that God Eater thing was really poor. The backgrounds looked nice, but the cast wasn't very interesting, the plot was driven by tired cliches, and the CG monster designs weren't good at all. I wound up giving up on it even before they prematurely ran out of episodes.

Don't hate it but the most squandered potential of any show this year

"potential"

Coming up with some decent premise is just about the easiest part in the production cycle of an anime or just about every other medium.

Executing on this idea pretty much is the entire production work and obviously where it gets very complicated and difficult. When a show is riddled with flaws I can't see how I could talk about potential. If it was fantastic with only few, albeit major, caveats, sure, call it wasted potential then.

But something like Charlotte? Nah. Besides, the sole fact that Jun Maeda was responsible for the script killed any potential right at the start.

I don't really understand why people like this guy. Other than that he likes KyoAni or something. This article is really straightforward in most places and flatly incorrect in others. His characterization of Chitanda is so far off point that it borders fanfiction. Other stuff he goes off on read too deep into things that haven't been translated properly. Some of this guy's reviews on ANN are as full of hot air as it gets...

Having just read the episode 2 and 3 impressions of his and seeing no such flaw, I'd like you to point out those bits.

I even agree with you that his ANN reviews are pretty terrible and I told him as much when he started there. As far as I'm concerned he purposely started to appease the ANN audience and clearly withhold criticism he'd previously voice on his blog. The change from his SAO season 1 episode impressions from his blog to the S2 ANN impressions was immense.

However, especially when he's writing content for his blog, he's written a lot interesting articles and while these are merely Hyouka episode impressions I do think they're quite good. It helps that his stuff is easy to read and has a nice flow on top of everything.

Very rarely do I finish and remember a show I don't enjoy, so I've only got one thing, and that's Plastic Memories, for coming from one of the key minds behind Steins;Gate and delivering one of the most predictable experiences ever, with a premise where things SHOULD be unpredictable.

Don't hate it but the most squandered potential of any show this year

Seriously, you've got this seriously flawed but interesting premise that could make for a really engaging and fun sci-fi story, and you give one of the most basic tragic love stories ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom