• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batman: The Animated Series S2 18 (Almost Got 'im)

I was watching The Big O and then I ended up here just to get it out of my system. Every time I come back to this show I end up doing the same "Okay, there's no way that this is as good as I thought it was and it's my rose-tinted childhood nostalgia lens" routine. NOPE. IT WAS ACTUALLY BETTER THEN I THOUGHT. For once, Chinese cartoons lose.

Haikyuu Jump Festa 2014 Special

jy04qCO.jpg
FzMiGga.jpg

A really well-written, well-made side story that involves a charming cat, the most likable self-centered brat ever, and the entire Karasuno team getting destroyed by Monster Hunter.

Theonik

I was watching The Big O and then I ended up here just to get it out of my system. Every time I come back to this show I end up doing the same "Okay, there's no way that this is as good as I thought it was and it's my rose-tinted childhood nostalgia lens" routine. NOPE. IT WAS ACTUALLY BETTER THEN I THOUGHT. For once, Chinese cartoons lose.
But several parts of it were done by Japanese animators!

Yeah, it would be a Korean cartoon in this case.

Quasar

If the end user can get enough out of the manga to feel like they don't need to buy the anime it maybe speaks to the quality of the anime.

If the popularity is derived primarily from what's done on the anime production side, why engage with picking up these outside properties at all?

And really for a large subset, having a streaming version around is good enough. Certainly thats true for me. Media has to be really special for me to buy (and thats not just anime). I learnt that lesson with dvd where probably 90% of what I bought got watched 0 or 1 time.

Of course anime streaming in Japan is I think even less mature than it is in the west.

And really for a large subset, having a streaming version around is good enough. Certainly thats true for me. Media has to be really special for me to buy (and thats not just anime). I learnt that lesson with dvd where probably 90% of what I bought got watched 0 or 1 time.

Of course anime streaming in Japan is I think even less mature than it is in the west.

There are lots of Japanese streaming websites, and streaming is very popular there, especially among younger people. Anime companies have been noting a lot recently how streaming is making up an ever bigger portion of their market.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I have been sent descriptions for nine shows so far. Are you really telling me that's all you're looking forward to? I mean I'm willing to add descriptions for three other shows to round it up to a nice 12, but that really defeats the purpose of the team effort.

Cornbread78

So I have been sent descriptions for nine shows so far. Are you really telling me that's all you're looking forward to? I mean I'm willing to add descriptions for three other shows to round it up to a nice 12, but that really defeats the purpose of the team effort.

Which ones do you have so far? Did you see mine?

What shows? Not interested in much next season and I think Dagashi Kashi, Galko-chan and Sekkou Boys are all taken.

Besides the shows I sent you, the only new stuff worth paying attention to is the Ultra Super Anime Time Block, but we don't even have information about some of those shows.

duckroll

Haikyuu Jump Festa 2014 Special

A really well-written, well-made side story that involves a charming cat, the most likable self-centered brat ever, and the entire Karasuno team getting destroyed by Monster Hunter.

Assuming this was based on a manga chapter, you can tell it was written long ago because Monster Hunter is still on PSP...

Did anyone make any description for Active Raid? If not, here's mine:
From Goro Taniguchi of Code Geass fame comes a story of a police force that uses (CG) mecha suits to fight the rise in crime and a woman's attempts to rehabilitate said police force, which apparently hasn't been doing its job very well. On one hand, the premise looks to have some elements of Patlabor in it, so perhaps there's a chance some quality storytelling could come of this. On the other hand, the premise looks to have some elements of Patlabor in it, and you should watch that for a 100% chance of quality storytelling.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Descriptions I've been sent so far.

Bubuki Buranki
Dagashi Kashi
Dimension W
ERASED (Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
Oshiete! Gyaruko-chan
Prince of Stride Alternative
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu[
Sushi Police

That's right, not even one for Sekkou Boys. But I've fixed that. I'm happy to pad the remaining two one, but that means you can't cry foul.

EDIT: nintendoman58 to the rescue.

Have you gotten Dimension W, boku dake ga inai machi, and shouwa genroku rakugo shinjuu.

If you already gotten those then I'm good.

Edit: Oh so you did get them.

Right. At this point I couldn't really imagine not reading manga and novels. Beyond it allowing me access to story types that get short shrift in anime (like josei) theres just so many shows where the first act only gets animated.

A bit off topic but what would you recommend. I rather like josei (gave Chihayafuru AOTY).

Cornbread78

Descriptions I've been sent so far.

Bubuki Buranki
Dagashi Kashi
Dimension W
ERASED (Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
Oshiete! Gyaruko-chan
Prince of Stride Alternative
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu[
Sushi Police

That's right, not even one for Sekkou Boys. But I've fixed that. I'm happy to pad the remaining two one, but that means you can't cry foul.

EDIT: nintendoman58 to the rescue.

Garakowa:

A space inhabited by multiple worlds, countless timelines and a diversity of people, where Dual and Dorothy battle the enemy – viruses encroaching on the world. A world infected by a virus must be deleted. This is Dual and Dorothy’s responsibility and job. One day, Dual and Dorothy discover a new virus attacking a girl. They save the girl and quietly wait for her to awaken. Who is she? Where did she come from? Where will she go? The girl finally awakens. She calls herself “Remo” and has only one thing to say: “I have to return to the flower garden"

Divine Gate
When the Divine Gate opened, the living world, the heavens, and the underworld became connected, ushering an era of chaos where desires and conflict intersect. To restore order, the World Council is formed. As peace is restored, the Divine Gate becomes an urban legend. In that world, boys and girls deemed fit by the World Council are gathered. They are ones who aim to reach the gate for their personal objectives. Those who reach the gate can remake the world. What lies beyond the gate? When they reach the door, will the world change? Will it be the past that changes, or will it be the future?

Koukaku no Pandora

When Nanakorobi Nene, a cybernetically enhanced girl-next-door, heads to the island metropolis of Cenancle to live with her aunt, she has no way of knowing what's in store for her. A chance meeting intertwines her fate with that of the super-rich inventor, Uzal Delilah, and her adorable and grumpy companion, Clarion, who happens to be a cyborg just like Nene. Nene is thrilled to make a friend, but there's more to Uzal and Clarion—and the island of Cenancle itself—than meets the eye. When a super-powered terrorist threatens Cenancle, Uzal claims that the only way to avert disaster is for Nene to team up with Clarion and use their combined powers—abilities Nene never even knew she had.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Did anyone notice that there are JP Detective Conan episodes on Netflix? And they're fairly new for the most part? Teh fuck?

Koufuku Graffiti 2

This is Shaft's best-looking show since.........

Even their usual corner-cutting measures such as really simplistic backgrounds and omitting or stylizing away all background characters are absent here. I'm flabbergasted.

Cornbread78

Myriad Colors Phantom World
In the near future, spirits and monsters are in full sight. A boy leads a group of people with special abilities as they plot against a massive organization that takes advantage of a certain incident and eventually know the truth about their world in the process.

Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle
Lux, a former prince of an empire named Arcadia that was overthrown via a rebellion five years earlier. Lux accidentally trespasses in a female dormitory's bathing area, sees the kingdom's new princess Lisesharte naked, and incurs her wrath. Lisesharte then challenges Lux to a Drag-Ride duel. Drag-Rides are ancient armored mechanical weapons that have been excavated from ruins all around the world. Lux used to be called the strongest Drag-Knight, but now he's known as the "undefeated weakest" Drag-Knight because he will absolutely not attack in battle. After his duel with Lisesharte, Lux ends up attending the female-only academy that trains royals to be Drag-Knights.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In the near future, spirits and monsters are in full sight. A boy leads a group of people with special abilities as they plot against a massive organization that takes advantage of a certain incident and eventually know the truth about their world in the process.

Unbelievably generic sounding.

e_i

Episode 1 aired already?

You easily tell its LN crap just by the summary.

Haly

Did I just miss it all or was no one really talking about Koufuku Graffiti all year? Unless it burns and crashes after this, I really don't understand.

A few people watched it but it's not really a "discussion" show, you know?

There are colorful girls.
There is shiny food.
The colorful girls eat the shiny food and wax poetic about it.

A few people watched it but it's not really a "discussion" show, you know?

There are colorful girls.
There is shiny food.
The colorful girls eat the shiny food and wax poetic about it.

I'm not expecting people to discuss it like it's an original anime mystery series where there's twists and turns to try to predict, but I would have expected to see more buzz about how good it is.

If there's anything 2015 has taught me, it's that you can't rely on anyone to give you the good anime anymore.

Because it was boring.

I guess people today really do need flashy action to keep them engaged. :(

Jarmel

Banned
At least K-ON had the character interactions to keep people engaged. As mentioned it's just girls talking about food, at which point I would rather just do cooking myself.

Everyone should just listen to me whenever it comes to anime recommendations.

At least K-ON had the character interactions to keep people engaged. As mentioned it's just girls talking about food, at which point I would rather just do cooking myself.
This is such a reductive way of viewing this showing that it doesn't even bother a response correcting exactly how wrong it is.

Haly

Best looking food of 2015 for sure though.

And depictions of eating. Soma fell flat in that regard.

Koufuku Graffiti so far has just as many character interactions as K-ON does. (And I have to laugh at the "at least".)

Jarmel

Banned
Koufuku Graffiti so far has just as many character interactions as K-ON does. (And I have to laugh at the "at least".)

It depends on whether we're talking about the first or second season. The first season I consider such a mess on so many fronts that it's not really worth discussing. If we're talking about the second season, K-ON had the character interactions and the graduation aspect along with other high school components such as passing the torch.

Clov

Koufuku Graffiti was really enjoyable. The characters were nice, it was relaxing, and it made me hungry every time I watched it. Really though, it's a good show that's very pretty to look at at times.

Only have Kagewani and Hackadoll to watch now before I vote in the AotY thread! Is Osomatsu eligible this year? Shirobako finished this year; would I be able to vote for it as well?

Ok, I'll play along. What did you find so engaging with the work? How would you describe it then?
What I found so engaging about the show was the character interactions that were brought together, explored and deepened because of food. Sure you can get super reductive about it and just say the show is about a bunch young girls and women eating food but it is much more than that it you bother to pay attention.

It is through the eating and sharing of food with friends and family the helps Ryo come to terms with the death of her grandmother which is a always present issue. It also helps her get over her loneliness of having to live in a apartment by herself with her parents travelling aboard.

Through Kirin and Shiina you get to see Ryo experience a sort of alternate family life through the time she spends with Kirin at her apartment and the time she spends with Shina's family at their mansion.

I'm not going to go on and on but I admit I fouding the show to be extremely touching and sincere about Ryo's relationships and her relationship to her late grandmother. There was even very touching moment in which Ryo's aunt tell her that her mother was actually a terrible fucking cook when they were kids and used to give them horrible boxed lunched and she learned to be a better cook when taking care of Ryo. That goes beyond just watching girls eat food, at least for me it did.

JCG

Did anyone make any description for Active Raid? If not, here's mine:

From Goro Taniguchi of Code Geass fame comes a story of a police force that uses giant (CG) robots to fight the rise in crime and a woman's attempts to rehabilitate said police force, which apparently hasn't been doing its job very well. On one hand, the premise looks to have some elements of Patlabor in it, so perhaps there's a chance some quality storytelling could come of this. On the other hand, the premise looks to have some elements of Patlabor in it, and you should probably just watch that instead.

Pretty good, I guess, but I have a couple of comments:

1. They are using human-sized power armor, not giant robots.

2. You know, I have a better idea: why not watch both?

Otherwise, this would be like saying people shouldn't watch The Big O because Batman: The Animated Series exists.I honestly appreciate telling people to go back and watch the classics, but I don't think that makes keeping up with newer shows that might carry even a fraction of the same spirit a mutually exclusive proposition. That said, I am getting more of a Tiger and Bunny vibe than a pure Patlabor one here.(which is still fine by me because both were good series)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom