• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puruzi

Banned
Man they were some great stuff this year! It was so hard to choose a top 10 :/ and I keep on remembering anime that actually aired this year and ehhhhhhh. But the worst was the order to put them in...The only one I was sure was Haikyu at #1 and Fafner at #2

Edit: Also if we are talking favourite fight mine was detective Raito vs Jiro and justice robot in concrete revolutio. Short but soooo good

my man

Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark

I don't really know what I expected from this movie, but it certainly wasn't a feature-length version of episode 14! Izubuchi knows just how to push my buttons. This is how you do science fiction, folks. I'm glad at least one revival of a nostalgic property has a creative visionary at the helm.

Maybe someday I'll collect a bunch of shots that show off the spectacular design work evident throughout the film, but if you've seen the series, you know what to expect on that front.

I don't think OPM deserves AotY. Not by a long shot. Seeing all the, "I just watched OPM" feels like salt in the wound. Not that I'm taking it too seriously, but if OPM wins it'll be enough to irritate me for a second.

OPM just doesn't mean anything. It's a fun show with amazing visuals, which is fine, but when you compare it to Shirobako, Oregairu, or any of the other big contenders for AotY it just seems out of place.

I watched A LOT of shows this year. OPM is still probably my favorite TV anime since Gurren Lagann, by a pretty significant amount at that.

They literally have more meaning. Shirobake portrays the at times incomprehensible shifts between beauty and tragedy that life holds. Oregairu hits the heart of what it is to be in love at that stage in life and the awkwardness of friendship. Yuri Kuma is entirely a thought piece - it has more meaning than probably any show this year. One Punch Man is a satire of action series, combining gag comedy and superb animation. Interesting, awesome, fun to watch, but not nearly as much meaning. It doesn't make OPM any worse inherently, but again, it feels out of place.

But, again, I'm not trying to discuss the merit of OPM just the single vote.

OPM is a series about depression and deep themes.

It's also not boring like Shirobako or Oregano.

Which will be worse? AoT S2 or Not-AoT S1?

What is it, a movie/ova? Only info I'm finding is there's a Drifters anime happening.

duckroll

What is it, a movie/ova? Only info I'm finding is there's a Drifters anime happening.

It's produced by the same company that made the Hellsing Ultimate OVA, based on a manga by the author of Hellsing, with staff who worked on the Hellsing Ultimate OVA, and the trailer features graphic decapitations and lots of blood. I think that's all we need to know.

I watched A LOT of shows this year. OPM is still probably my favorite TV anime since Gurren Lagann, by a pretty significant amount at that.

You don't want to hear my opinion on Gurren Lagann either. I'll admit my personal taste sways away from battle-heavy anime and more towards dialogue and character driven shows. Gurren Lagann is one of the best of the genre and probably one of the better pieces of anime in general, but I hear it get thrown in the same category as Evangelion and Madoka all the time.

OPM is running on a lot of hype right now. Its biggest issue is that it satirizes a genre, but then slips up and falls into the tropes it tries to satirize. The first half is hilarious, but the humor tank runs dry midway through and tries to build a narrative on top of the jokes of the first half. Due to the nature of the satire, the fights - especially the fight with Boros where it actually mattered - lack any reason for the viewer to really care. I honestly think it's one of the most overrated anime of all time despite the fact that I enjoyed it (for further reference, I'd give it an 8.25 or something on the Strix Arbitrary Scale)

I've realized something.

My "Why won't people watch Garo: The Animation?" is my own personal "Why won't people buy a Vita?" ;_;

As soon as I get Sound! Euphonium out of the way, I'll wander into Garo territory. I saw it on a couple of AotY lists.

Jintor

overrated is a bizarre term

i don't think people are thinking of OPM as a psychological thriller or whatever. i'm under the impression they enjoy it for what it is, and a lot of people enjoy what that is

kewlmyc

The due date for the list is the end of Jan right? Hopefully I can watch Shirobako, Death Parade, and Sound!Euphonium by then.

overrated is a bizarre term

i don't think people are thinking of OPM as a psychological thriller or whatever. i'm under the impression they enjoy it for what it is, and a lot of people enjoy what that is

This is probably true as well. I write for my college's weekly magazine about film (focus on traditional but every once in a while I slip an anime into the mix) so my viewpoint is more critical and less about watching purely for enjoyment. That's probably where I end up in so many disputes with people. (Not that my viewpoint is more refined, better, or even closer to correct. It's just different.)

And I like to argue in general.

Well, we'll see if OPM has staying power. If you look at Parasyte, the number of people voting for it has dropped significantly. For me, I liked OPM before so the anime is just the cherry on top.

Attack on Titan S2 should be interesting though

You know, seeing people unironically call Aldnoah.Zero one of the best shows of the year, reminds me that tolerating different opinions in the bedrock of any functioning society...

*twitches slightly*

Jaxec

Gundam Build Fighters 1

Why is Reiji so based? Is he a wizard? How did he appear out of nowhere to save the day? Why does Sazaki remind me of Weevil from Yugioh? Why is this an awesome way of doing a Gundam show?

Will continue watching in excitement.
But seriously, why is Reiji so based?

You know, seeing people unironically call Aldnoah.Zero one of the best shows of the year, reminds me that tolerating different opinions in the bedrock of any functioning society...

*twitches slightly*
Well AZero was a decent show with an anti-climatic ending. So if people enjoyed things like the music and the robot fights I think its quite normal some people have it on their list. I mean...I enjoyed it myself.

duckroll

*twitches slightly*

Aldnoah Zero S2 was so amazing that it made me drop all anime for like 6 months. For its ability to improve productivity alone I would say it is one of the best shows of the year! :p :p :p

kewlmyc

*twitches slightly*

At least it's not Charlotte. I didn't think it was possible for me to loathe a show more this year than Aldnoah.Zero S2, but I was proven wrong not even 6 months later.

jgminto

Well AZero was a decent show with an anti-climatic ending. So if people enjoyed things like the music and the robot fights I think its quite normal some people have it on their list. I mean...I enjoyed it myself.

I wouldn't call it decent, mediocre maybe? Frustrating, idiotic, baffling and terrible are also words I'd use to describe Aldnoah Zero, and I only watched the first season.

Level E 11

Man the CGI is so jarring in this. The movement is so stiff, robotic and unnatural, thankfully it isn't used much.

Anyway, enjoying this quite a lot. Not the kind of thing I'd expect from Togashi but I guess this proves he can do more then just battle Shonen. Koyasu's character is the standout though, he should really do more comedy roles.

I wouldn't call it decent, mediocre maybe? Frustrating, idiotic, baffling and terrible are also words I'd use to describe Aldnoah Zero, and I only watched the first season.

Season 2 was far worse

Jarmel

Banned
????

What game? Half off where?

Maybe half-off wasn't the correct descriptor but the first BD only has the first episode and so is half the price of vol.2.

As for the game thing, I heard that being thrown around but apparently someone misread it as it's just extra DLC for a Vita game.

Either way, I don't imagine the 1st volume to be indicative of how the average volume sales will turn out.

duckroll

Maybe half-off wasn't the correct descriptor but the first BD only has the first episode and so is half the price of vol.2.

As for the game thing, I heard that being thrown around but apparently someone misread it as it's just extra DLC for a Vita game.

Either way, I don't imagine the 1st volume to be indicative of how the average volume sales will turn out.

So what you're actually saying is that it is in fact an overpriced single episode volume with a dlc bonus for a game which is so poorly received that it was 60% off in the first week of release?! Sounds totally opposite from it being half price and bundled with a game!

Jarmel

Banned
So what you're actually saying is that it is in fact an overpriced single episode volume with a dlc bonus for a game which is so poorly received that it was 60% off in the first week of release?! Sounds totally opposite from it being half price and bundled with a game!

How is it overpriced when it's literally half the price of volume 2 and includes extras that would be found in a typical volume release?

There seems to be a real divide in the Gundam fanbase.

Fans in Japan like over the top, new types performing magical feats Gundam.

Fans here seem to want a more reserved Gundam.

Narag

Aldnoah Zero S2 was so amazing that it made me drop all anime for like 6 months. For its ability to improve productivity alone I would say it is one of the best shows of the year! :p :p :p

Killed you off only for you to rise from the dead as a Marvel Zombie :(

Sound Euphonium 1

I am someone who constantly checks any sheet music on a T-shirt or other decoration to see if it's genuine playable music or they just threw some random stuff that looks kind of music up there. I was disappointed when I received a piano ornament for Christmas this year, that the "music" printed on the stand was totally fake bullshit that didn't even have proper rhythm. So when I saw this:

OL9TrJ5.jpg

genuine sheet music that matches the Offenbach band arrangement being played, with scribbled performance notes that are realistic (if made by an extremely zealous student), well, I love this show already just for this.

Helps that it's KyoAni on a good day too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom