• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
The hell is that? Q-Tec?
an interlaced q-tec upscale at that. lol

Hrm, where are people talking about the BDs? I'm :Chitanda about them, particularly how they look in motion. I'm going to assume they look better than the Rightstuf DVDs, although that comparison seems to suggest they just basically did nothing. lol

the rightstuf dvd's will look better as q-tec completely obliterates detail

firehawk12

Subete no aware
an interlaced q-tec upscale at that. lol

the rightstuf dvd's will look better as q-tec completely obliterates detail
I still want to see these in motion. Although times like this made me wish I knew how to use 2ch or that blogdoor site to find out what people are saying about it.

OPM is running on a lot of hype right now. Its biggest issue is that it satirizes a genre, but then slips up and falls into the tropes it tries to satirize. The first half is hilarious, but the humor tank runs dry midway through and tries to build a narrative on top of the jokes of the first half. Due to the nature of the satire, the fights - especially the fight with Boros where it actually mattered - lack any reason for the viewer to really care. I honestly think it's one of the most overrated anime of all time despite the fact that I enjoyed it (for further reference, I'd give it an 8.25 or something on the Strix Arbitrary Scale)

I actually agree with what most of what you've written here but I still can't think of what show this year was significantly better than it. Link me your list, because if OPM is the most overrated of all time I really want to see what you think is getting snubbed.

pbayne

Cant be bothered watching working season 3 because I know ill have to re-order my top ten list to accommodate it. Ill save it for a rainy day.

Also, im seeing Concerto Revolutio getting a lot of praise. Jump on now or wait and see if it falls apart?

OPM is running on a lot of hype right now. Its biggest issue is that it satirizes a genre, but then slips up and falls into the tropes it tries to satirize. The first half is hilarious, but the humor tank runs dry midway through and tries to build a narrative on top of the jokes of the first half. Due to the nature of the satire, the fights - especially the fight with Boros where it actually mattered - lack any reason for the viewer to really care. I honestly think it's one of the most overrated anime of all time despite the fact that I enjoyed it (for further reference, I'd give it an 8.25 or something on the Strix Arbitrary Scale)
That problem you are talking about it is only barely seen at the end of the season of OPM, but if we will have some day a season 2, you will see it for real. The next arc is a much more traditional shounen arc, including a super long length, lots of consecutive fights paired in 1vs1s, a lack of humor for long parts, etc.

I actually agree with what most of what you've written here but I still can't think of what show this year was significantly better than it. Link me your list, because if OPM is the most overrated of all time I really want to see what you think is getting snubbed.

My shameful AotY list.

I don't think it is the single most overrated, but I think it definitely is one of the most - mostly because of the accessibility of it. The same thing happened with Attack on Titan where we had a show that was easy to watch with just enough visual flair and some tiny detail that set it apart from what the average new anime fan had seen before while still being GOOD caused mainstream anime watchers to declare it as a must-see and new anime watchers getting the idea that it was the best thing they had ever seen and therefore one of the best anime of all time.

I caught up with Murata's OPM manga. The artwork is insanely good and I especially appreciate how clean it is. Good sense of spacing and flow, too. I'm prone to lose orientation and when the artwork isn't very clear and well structured, on top of lacking color, it's easy for me to lose track.

Storywise...
liked the bits with King
rather meh on Blizzard
disliking Garou

The more generic, albeit it well executed, battle shounen it gets the worse. Saitama's still the star for me after all.

Moaradin

Kekkai Sensen 12

I'm pretty late on this but I finally managed to watch the last episode. Thought it was pretty damn good. Worth the 6-7 months I waited for it lol. I also watched the entire series again since I forgot so much, and this time with the English dub. It's fantastic and I'd give it a slight edge over the sub just because it's a lot easier to focus on the actual show. Great direction, great soundtrack, and a very fun cast of characters. The White and Black storyline was handled extremely well considering it was all anime original.

It's definitely gonna be very high on my list.

Qurupeke

Hibike! Euphonium 4-5

3qTM26a.jpg
0e9BpGy.png
9D9uf82.png
What a beautiful anime. I really like they're faithful to the initial premise but they're still keep it entertaining. Every episode tells its story and all of them connect until the final "piece" I guess. I want to say that it was boring, but I'll be lying. It's still so enjoyable. I really like Kumiko and I'm not usually the greatest fan of a main character. These two episodes were basically the training and the pay off of the SunFes. Taki-sensei is obviously the eccentric type and they're trying to make it as clear as possible. At least, they did have a spectacular march, based on the reactions of the characters and mine. lol

I guess the gif from the scene with the second Kousaka pic was maybe the prime reason I started this. It was sooo good. Kumiko's relationship with Kousaka is certainly entertaining. Kumiko's so awkward around her, that's a complete contrast to her usual character. Kousaka also seems to have changed, and I'm not sure if she was even agree on the first place. At least she seems to understand Kumiko's anxiousness and thus we had that amazing scene during the night. I didn't like her much at first, but after this and her playing the trumpet to encourage people, both during the rehearsals and just before the march, she's becoming one of my favourites. The only thing I don't want to see is upgrading her relationship with Taki-sensei... I really don't want them to do that and create drama out of nowhere. I really hope it will stay to just student admiration.

Asuka's also grown to me. It seems her usual behaviour is more of a facade. She's just the best supporter ever and she does everything to support the band. Kumiko's still the best though.

duckroll

So, now that the first half of Concrete Revolutio has ended and the faithful have all watched it, let's talk about the Watchmen comparison when Aikawa first talked about the project under the title "Chojin Genso" (translated by FUNi as Superhuman Phantasmagoria).

He said that he was working on an interesting project about alternate history and the role of superheroes in a contemporary setting, similar to Watchmen, but with Japanese heroes instead. This resulted in some people expected a more adult sort of show with classier designs, and some backlash when the show looked super duper "anime" when it was unveiled.

Now that we've gotten a whole season though, what's the verdict? I think he nailed it and delivered what he promised. The ensemble cast, the morally grey world contrasted with characters who were determined to hold on to black and white concepts of good and evil, the celebration and commentary on history and society via alternate history, tons of pulp and retro scifi concepts, the non-linear narrative. He pretty much wrote what he said he was writing. What say you?

The Tatami Galaxy
tumblr_mu0q66ZBsA1s78savo1_500.gif

The Tatami Galaxy is one of those rare shows that I'm not sure how to fully categorize, and I mean that in a good way.
It's a show that literally might make you feel such a variety of feelings that by the end of it, you get a feeling that you experienced the show more than just watched it.
The story follows a nameless protagonist as he tries to live a "rosy campus life" with a fair lass. I don't want to be too descriptive to be honest, since I went in completely blank, and I feel the experience was better for it.

I will say this, if you've ever really struggled with feelings of isolation or loneliness, then the show may be best taken slow.
Tatami Galaxy deals with very human emotions. Being awkward, bitter, isolated, conflicted, the show touches on all these feelings and more.

I don't want to make the show sound too heavy though. The show knows how to make you laugh. It's such a constant barrage of info, that you may miss things, and that's okay believe it or not.

It's funny, it's sad, it's romantic, it's goofy, it's deep and simple all in one. It's a fantastic show, I can't recommend it enough.

tumblr_mxkj7lVDZB1rp0542o1_500.gif

Qurupeke

I caught up with Murata's OPM manga. The artwork is insanely good and I especially appreciate how clean it is. Good sense of spacing and flow, too. I'm prone to lose orientation and when the artwork isn't very clear and well structured, on top of lacking color, it's easy for me to lose track.

Storywise...
liked the bits with King
rather meh on Blizzard
disliking Garou

The more generic, albeit it well executed, battle shounen it gets the worse. Saitama's still the star for me after all.
About your last point in storywise.
I feel Murata has handled Garou a lot worse. He has added a lot of extra content and it's not really interesting either. It's still around the start, but the arc gets a lot better. Saitama won't appear a lot though, so I'm still not sure about how you'll receive it.

Don't forget to watch the OVA Kakedasu Monaka. So good.

Dude your Senjougahara avatar is distracting me from everything else.

Just saying

Will watch. And that's totally not my intention, I swear. :)

So, now that the first half of Concrete Revolutio has ended and the faithful have all watched it, let's talk about the Watchmen comparison when Aikawa first talked about the project under the title "Chojin Genso" (translated by FUNi as Superhuman Phantasmagoria).

He said that he was working on an interesting project about alternate history and the role of superheroes in a contemporary setting, similar to Watchmen, but with Japanese heroes instead. This resulted in some people expected a more adult sort of show with classier designs, and some backlash when the show looked super duper "anime" when it was unveiled.

Now that we've gotten a whole season though, what's the verdict? I think he nailed it and delivered what he promised. The ensemble cast, the morally grey world contrasted with characters who were determined to hold on to black and white concepts of good and evil, the celebration and commentary on history and society via alternate history, tons of pulp and retro scifi concepts, the non-linear narrative. He pretty much wrote what he said he was writing. What say you?

I am offended that it is compared to such garbage as watchmen something which is too deep for any medium and one with inhuman characters discussing bland matters in dull ways. Concrete Revolutions world is far more inviting and realistic in which characters respond to matters in ways that make it at times challenging to decide whom is most correct. Beyond the human/children experimentation and too heavy abuse by armed forces or the fuurota origin story, I cant think of any other scenario in the show that easily made one pick a side to be for/against.

Also characters were the right age, so glad most of the cast were not ancient looking senior citizens.

phaze

Watch Euphonium. It's shorter and prettier. Then watch Hacka Doll #7 for the funnier, more succinct and realistic Shirobako experience.
tea5qkb6.png

Claymore - 01-02

Well it's certainly no Berserk.

That Raki kid is annoying the heck out of me. If he doesn't get better within the next couple episodes that'll be reason enough for dropping it.

Narag

It's basically as advertised. Knew this much going in, stopped paying attention after the early complaints, but came back to watch it at the end and really, really enjoy it. I actually want to go through it again when I get a little more time to see how scenes shift in tone now that more information is available as the show progressed and to contrast how I feel about events now to how I did first watching them.

I'm actually surprised that as the story has gone on I've grown to dislike Jiro more than I did when he was first introduced, same goes for Kikko. Whereas Emi has grown on me.

Jiro is a piece a shit who tries to pretend he isn't actually a piece of shit and support shitty ideals that are hurting people. Kikko was annoying in the beginning and just got worse and worse as her cocklust and hero worship for Jiro grew. Emi I respect because she is the most realistic person of the bunch and doesn't really sugar coat the shit they do.

End of be all this still enjoyed the fuck out of the show.

NeonZ

In a way, I think it's actually closer to the less known (and older than Watchmen) original Squadron Supreme mini-series, even if it's just coincidence and the writer likely has never heard about that series. In that mini-series, we got Marvel's take on DC's various characters and their attempt at improving their world, after a crisis that led to people looking at super humans with suspicion, only to lead to unintended consequences and a division breaking between them.

The characters in Concrete Revolutio, although having twists, are generally still fairly close to the source material being homaged, with many different origins and powers, while Watchmen attempted to homogenize everything and ground the setting, by making it so no one had real powers aside from Dr.Manhattan, who was the singular miracle (well, aside from the random people with psychic powers). Concrete Revolutio isn't trying to ground and portray the characters themselves as realistic, even if they inhabit a gray world. I think the anime-ish designs actually play well into that aspect too.

On the other hand, the Watchmen comparison does work with the actual core storytelling, the non-linear narrative, and also the alternate history aspect, which add an extra dimension to the series' events. After the first couple of episodes those elements have integrated well into the storytelling too and added to the show, even before the pay off with the main story.

Claymore - 03

Dropped. There simply isn't a single thing this show does well.

It was always a tragedy how the author went from doing the hilarious and original Angel Densetsu to making freaking Claymore. They couldn't be more different, and he did 22 volumes of it. And even worse, he reached way more popularity with Clayrmoe.

pbayne

The Tatami Galaxy
tumblr_mu0q66ZBsA1s78savo1_500.gif

(Snip)

Thats an interesting take on it.

To me I won't say isolation or loneliness, more the monatomy of everyday life(obviously encapsulated within college) and how paralyzing regrets/self-doubt can be. Also how having a wealth of options for the future is not always a great thing to have. Throughout the show I always believed Ozu was the
protagonists own idealized version of himself, like Ozu does the things he wishes he could do.

They're also perfectly mechanically/anatomically drawn as well as animated with proper performance technique on the human side too, from hands positions, body positioning, posture, breathing, etc. Then you have things like adjusting lighting, reflections, and curvature based on instrument lacquer in the visuals too. Only perfectionists could nail the look like that and then have it actually move correctly too. Every little valve, slide, tuning slides, spit valves, mouthpieces, keys, reeds and ligatures, solderings... It's all there. And all correct.

The logistics of such a feat is utterly insane.
Nobody will ever top this.
Probably ever.

It's crazy that KyoAni went to so much trouble - they must have spent ages getting visual reference material, learning about how brass/wind instruments and bands as a whole work, and getting the appropriate music for each situation made, including the lower quality performances to reflect lower quality performers. (I assume they worked with actual students? I wonder if the Japanese BDs have useful behind-the-scenes material.) Most of their audience will neither know or care about all the details they've put in. But for those of us who do know and care, it's immensely satisfying to see.

I know you're a pianist, but you've never participated in band before, right? At least as a regular member that is. I would kill to see them do an ensemble piece in the next season with a piano included, since the repertoire is out there. Or maybe a solo contest too.

I've been in orchestras, but never in bands, no. As you know, but others here may not, concert bands are kind of odd beasts - they're very prevalent in educational institutions, but they lie outside the mainstream of classical repertoire and most band music is written by composers and arrangers who specialize in band specifically. So I am not that familiar with band music and practices - even the brass and wind instrumentalists I work with tend to be in orchestra over band. But I certainly appreciate the ensemble, and have enjoyed many a band concert.

I did sub for a colleague in a band rehearsal once, but the conductor paid no attention to me and I barely even played, since I was totally unfamiliar with the music. I'm not sure what interesting music is out there for band with piano - there's certainly plenty for orchestra with piano - but I'd love to see KyoAni bring the same attention to detail to piano playing that they've brought to everything else in this series. A-1 made some good piano (and violin) performances for Your Lie in April, but I bet KyoAni could top them.

Yes, they finally put out their second quality TV series since 2010. So we'll be due another one in a few years.

I already knew you hated Nichijou, but you hate Hyouka too? I'm biased towards Euphonium's subject matter, but as of now I'd still say Hyouka is the superior show. Though once you're dealing with series at this high a level, it's small nuances that make the difference.

Euphonium is good and all but I believe Silent Voice adaption is a type of series that's outside of what KyoAni usually does such as focusing on the topic of bullying and the effects it has. The former while may be consistently good isn't something that pushes their ability to do something different while the latter is unique in a sense that's different for them theme wise. Which is why I say Silent Voice if done competently will show KyoAni's ability to work outside their comfort zone and redeem them.

Anyway I just want to see if they can adapt Silent Voice efficiently and effectively.

I remember the last time people were praising KyoAni for doing something "out of their comfort zone", and we got Kyoukai no Kanata. Anyway, Naoko Yamada has shown a great deal of sensitivity in her directorial work, and she's the perfect person to tackle something like A Silent Voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom