• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

When Marnie Was There

For some reason I was sure this movie takes place on some post WW II, Japanese but Soviet occupied island. Am I going completely bonkers or was something like that also released this year ? Anyhow, I was pretty surprised at how low key all of it was. And maybe even more surprised that despite it, Marnie managed to keep me engaged throughout. Maybe there's some hope for me yet. I couldn't quite tell you what it does differently to Totoro which bored the hell out of me, maybe cause neither of two main characters was a 5 year old, screaming kid, maybe it's the mystery of Marnie, direction or just the fact that it doesn't feel as aimless as MNT but anyhow it worked.

The climax I found a bit weird (and convenient to a degree) in that it is delivered
as a simple bit of exposition and in that it is kinda cleaved in half. The facts that become apparent to the viewer as a result of that exposition are only realised by Anna in the very last moments of the movie. Which confused me a bit cause I thought she realised it at same moment as I did. But I don't get to complain cause sappy stuff like that is my personal cryptonite and here, it was really well executed and send me off sobbing both times.
Pretty great stuff, probably just slightly behind Kaguya for me.

On a Gloomy Night
000027qwky8.png

Ah, that nice sensation of having your brain gently scrambled when you've no clue what the hell is transpiring at the screen. I'll watch it again and again and try to "get" it.

sonicmj1

When Marnie Was There

For some reason I was sure this movie takes place on some post WW II, Japanese but Soviet occupied island. Am I going completely bonkers or was something like that also released this year ?

You're thinking of Giovanni's Island, which came out in 2014.

I wish I could skip this season and go straight to Spring.

Why would you do that when shows with great potential like Erased, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, and Dimension W are airing?

Edit: I love Jojo but I wouldn't skip an entire season just for it even if it's Diamond is Unbreakable.
When Marnie Was There

For some reason I was sure this movie takes place on some post WW II, Japanese but Soviet occupied island. Am I going completely bonkers or was something like that also released this year ? Anyhow, I was pretty surprised at how low key all of it was. And maybe even more surprised that despite it, Marnie managed to keep me engaged throughout. Maybe there's some hope for me yet. I couldn't quite tell you what it does differently to Totoro which bored the hell out of me, maybe cause neither of two main characters was a 5 year old, screaming kid, maybe it's the mystery of Marnie, direction or just the fact that it doesn't feel as aimless as MNT but anyhow it worked.

The climax I found a bit weird (and convenient to a degree) in that it is delivered
as a simple bit of exposition and in that it is kinda cleaved in half. The facts that become apparent to the viewer as a result of that exposition are only realised by Anna in the very last moments of the movie. Which confused me a bit cause I thought she realised it at same moment as I did. But I don't get to complain cause sappy stuff like that is my personal cryptonite and here, it was really well executed and send me off sobbing both times.
Pretty great stuff, probably just slightly behind Kaguya for me.

Have you seen Spirited Away?

Or what Ghibli Movies have you seen so far? I myself need a little catching up to do.

phaze

You're thinking of Giovanni's Island, which came out in 2014.

Ahhhh that was that indeed.

Why would you do that when shows with great potential like Erased, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, and Dimension W are airing?

Edit: I love Jojo but I wouldn't skip an entire season just for it even if it's Diamond is Unbreakable.

Have you seen Spirited Away?

Or what Ghibli Movies have you seen so far? I myself need a little catching up to do.

Almost none which is why I'm trying to catch up. Castle of Cagliostro, Totoro, Wind Rises, Kaguya and now Marnie. I'm pretty sure that I saw Spirited Away as a kid but I basically remember nothing from it.

JCG

I was super confused by his post as well.

ShinRPGamer was just parsing way too fast through your post. Cross Game is a great show that shouldn't be confused with anything else (other than Touch, I guess)

Though, contrary to his implications, a couple of people have watched Code Geass pretty recently here and actually enjoyed the experience without becoming "lost souls" either. :p

Ahhhh that was that indeed.

Almost none which is why I'm trying to catch up. Castle of Cagliostro, Totoro, Wind Rises, Kaguya and now Marnie. I'm pretty sure that I saw Spirited Away as a kid but I basically remember nothing from it.

I guess that warrants you to watch Spirited Away again.

I have to re-watch Spirited Away again because it's been a very long time since I've seen it and I pretty much forgot everything as well.

tuffy

So it turns out that Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is some really good stuff. Reminds me a little of Banner of the Stars in that it's a more serious sci-fi show with some fish-out-of-water characters in a really well-defined world. Its production values are really good to boot. Although the
Whale Squid being not so evil
twist was easy to spot a mile away, the
Kugel being long deceased
twist caught me off guard (and simplified the climax a bit since he didn't have to be dealt with).
Chamber's exit and speech
was also a nice way to handle a "graduation" scene in a way that's both happy and sad.

Too bad there apparently won't be any more of it. But at least the existing series is reasonably self-contained.

Mature

Gargantia was rough around the edges, but I hope it doesn't become completely forgotten. I had a great time with it.

Chamber for life.

Gargantia was a great ride. I loved the slice-of-life aspects on the ship as well as the lore aspects regarding the world.

Also Chamber was great. I love that he and Ledo are a unit in the latest SRW Z game.

Gargantia is interesting in that it managed to have an intelligent fanservice scene arguably, but still had that terrible scene with transgender men.

Christ that scene was awful.

sonicmj1

#teamgargantiasucked

#teamyourfavoriteanimesucks

Gargantia was solid. I was especially a fan of how they handled Ledo gradually learning to speak the native language. I don't think I've ever seen another show handle that aspect quite as well, even if both languages were fictional ciphers.

I thought that was the general sentiment at least here. Might give it a try considering the amount of positive opinions.

Edit: Does it have something resembling a satisfying and conclusive ending ?

The larger story arc and big twist isn't concluded whatsoever. The next bigger conflict is resolved though.

And nah, that anime is among the likes of E7 for me where I'm genuinely surprised it's well liked here. Some folks seem to be so happy that this chamber mech AI is such a 'bro' when I personally can only groan at the continuously overly simplified AIs in most fiction. Too often it just boils down to "what if this AI...has pretty much exactly a human personality!"

I think Gargantia has some nice saturated colors, though!

JCG

Gargantia is interesting in that it managed to have an intelligent fanservice scene arguably, but still had that terrible scene with transgender men.

I think Gargantia was good, not great, but that scene really was the worst. Took me right out of the experience for a while.

Other than the mediocre 3D quality, the series was watchable and interesting enough. Of course, Chamber was the best character but Ledo was a pretty decent protagonist too.

The fact that its possible second season was cancelled is quite unfortunate since the setting still had a lot of potential and the sequel novels are unlikely to be translated.

Christ that scene was awful.

Wha?

I thought the fanservice in that show was particularly gratuitous. Melon tits female leaders left and right, belly dancing teenagers and the usual beach episode because why not.

How that's supposed to be intelligent is puzzling to me.

edit: *inbefore character designer also did hentai so it's all cool somehow*

tuffy

It's certainly conclusive enough. The broader conflict established in the first episode isn't, of course, but the title alone guarantees it isn't a series about that.

JCG

There's some stuff left open, but the conclusion the show reaches was definitely satisfying for me.

It's a very good conclusion for the protagonist's personal arc, even though it does leave some big unresolved issues about the greater status quo.

How that's supposed to be intelligent is puzzling to me.

You could argue the more private dancing scene worked as both character and relationship development for Ledo.

You could argue the more private dancing scene worked as both character and relationship development for Ledo.

I could perhaps see that if that girl didn't already belly dance with her friends in front of an audience with adults among it. In private with just him I don't necessarily have a problem with it. But following that shit, no.

Why not? It's just 6 OVAs! I need some sweet BONES superhero action to help with the Concrete Revolutio withdrawal symptoms.

You're free to watch whatever you feel like, of course, but the impression I got from everyone including you when Towa no Quon came out is that it ended up being a big pile of nothing. If you have a hankering for BONES superheroes, why not go back to Skull Man, which is actually totally legit.

Yup.

Yamauchi is a fantastic director. I've long felt that he's one of the most under-appreciated directors working in anime.

I love Yamauchi's sense of visual style. He has a great feeling for what will make striking shots. I made a lot of screenshots of his Mysterious Girlfriend X episode. But he's generally a poor storyteller. The way he structures his direction is very surreal and dream-like, eschewing logic in the way he floats from one scene to the next, and that makes it hard to create an extended understandable coherent narrative. Even the most well-regarded of his series, Casshern Sins, runs into this problem a lot. I think his skills are best used when there's someone else looking over his shoulder and keeping him in line.

Quasar

Strike the Blood OVA - Eh. It was OK I guess. But it was an original filler story rather than more book material animated. Was nice seeing those characters again though.

phaze

The larger story arc and big twist isn't concluded whatsoever. The next bigger conflict is resolved though.

And nah, that anime is among the likes of E7 for me where I'm genuinely surprised it's well liked here. Some folks seem to be so happy that this chamber mech AI is such a 'bro' when I personally can only groan at the continuously overly simplified AIs in most fiction. Too often it just boils down to "what if this AI...has pretty much exactly a human personality!"

I think Gargantia has some nice saturated colors, though!

There's some stuff left open, but the conclusion the show reaches was definitely satisfying for me.

It's certainly conclusive enough. The broader conflict established in the first episode isn't, of course, but the title alone guarantees it isn't a series about that.

Hmmm hard to gauge how much the stuff unresolved would bother me without knowing the details but I'm kind of a stickler for tying all the loose plot points so I guess more than most. And alas, I'm already watching one bad mecha anime !

JCG

I could perhaps see that if that girl didn't already belly dance with her friends in front of an audience with adults among it. In private with just him I don't necessarily have a problem with it. But following that shit, no.

Sure, I have no problem accepting that the earlier sequence isn't really smart. Just fanservice. But I think the premise behind it still leads to a genuinely good scene later in the episode.

Knight of Sidonia S2 1-END

Man this was some great stuff! I loved the battle scenes! But now with so much story stuff missing they have no choice but to make a season 3! I do wonder if they have enough manga material to do one though. Oh well I will definitely watch it when it comes out and is dubbed.

e_i

Knights of Sidonia season 1 episodes 1-9

Space! Even there there is harem antics. And a whole lot of death.
I really didn't need to see all those people going splat against the buildings.
Also, Hoshijiro!
I feel bad for the character. Saved, then killed, then brought back to life in some weird alien clone bullshit.

That high g-turn was maybe the best scene in a space anime for a very long time.

Sadly, there is some power creep in the series, so the later battles lost some of the early desperate battle character.

Narag

I thought that was the general sentiment at least here. Might give it a try considering the amount of positive opinions.

A lovely tale of societal integration that would have been better if the aliens had been outright forgotten as people get hung up on them.

TUSR

Banned
☆☆☆☆☆

i thought madp was doing it

im taking a break from OTs until Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!

☆☆☆☆☆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom