• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

I forgive him for that. :p

He's one of my favorite posters here. Cornbread and I like a lot of the same shows. So just like you and NMan, when you guys recommend me stuff, I listen. And is always why I am willing to do watchbets with all of you. Because I know we all just try to recommend the stuff we like to each other.

Hence why I call him Kiritobread.

;P

Steins;Gate 10

Much better episode. Concerning towards the beginning of it since it seemed Okabe was throwing logic to the wind. But it seemed like he got back into character and was more aware and careful with his choices. Even though this
butterfly effect
may end up causing further issues, at least some thought was put behind it and wasn't haphazardly done.

ibyea

Banned
Steins;Gate 9

What a stupid episode. This one actually makes me angry. First, they don't confirm or address what happened in the previous episode. Then, after everything everyone confirms to each other,
Okabe just okays Ferris's request to just send any text she wants into the past without anyone seeing what it contains.

Sorry, but no. I don't care how much someone wants to wave the "but he's a mad scientist" card. This completely goes against how cautious Okabe actually is. This part of the scenario was extremely forced.

Ugh.

He is paranoid, but I wouldn't call him cautious by any means.

Mature

The worst of case I've seen of "let's just use the old voice actor for it" is Kappei Yamaguchi doing the voice of the 8 year old Kaito Kid.

TUSR

Banned
The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls - S1 (1-13)

better than the original idolmaster and love live.

even though some of the songs werent as strong

Macross Triangle symbol thing episode 0? 1? 0.111? who cares

wtf? I've never seen Macross before but this was total garbage so this gives me free reign to shit on Macross because its bad

wonzo

Banned
Shounen Hollywood 4-13 END

shounenhollywood5.jpg
shounenhollywood9.jpg

shounenhollywood9a.jpg
shounenhollywood13.jpg

I feel like it's a real disservice to call something this engrossing and tonally significant an "idol anime", even when it still struggles with the typical genre trappings. Things like Tessy's dumb haircut, the odd anime reaction face, and the fact that some of the original Shounen Hollywood crew, supposedly in their thirties, sound younger than these "teenagers" kinda drags down what is a far more thoughtful work than what its promotional material let's on. Fortunately the strong aesthetics and grounded characters more than easily win out making the more pedestrian elements easily forgotten.

This also gets borderline experimental at times with some really clever standout episodes like the incredibly creative Stage Play or The Variety Show which featured Miss Monochrome (which I'm guessing was a really well disguised ad, lol) and some of the best dancing & singing animation I've seen. On the other hand, the aesthetics are also ultimately this shows Achille's Heel as there are scenes where it looks so cheap that it's really noticeable amongst how good everything else looks.

I really want to read the book this is a sequel of as I feel like some of the shows context and emotional weight is lost without it. I'd still highly recommend Shounen Hollywood in spite of that to anyone, but especially to those that actually give a shit about the quality and effort put into the things they watch.

Line_HTX

The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls - S1 (1-13)

better than the original idolmaster and love live.

even though some of the songs werent as strong

Really... Better than 765? :O

wtf? I've never seen Macross before but this was total garbage so this gives me free reign to shit on Macross because its bad

You should've watched Frontier first before Delta 0.89.

Also, this special episode is exactly how they did Frontier many years back IIRC. They had a special episode for Frontier in late December, and then the actual show aired the following April.

The only difference is that Delta seems to be using group singing instead of competing individual singers.

Long live Sheryl Nome.

Pooya

Kawamori is like Goerge Lucas of anime, shit director and shit writer now but he had pretty good ideas at some point made into great products by help of others...

I also watched that Nobunaga the Fool show for like 8 episodes which was also bad, I think I know what I'm talkin about.

or that, look at that and then Vision of Escaflowne which is reaaally similar to it except The Fool is irredeemable trash. He should not be allowed to direct or write. sooo bad waste of everyone's time. I'm an expert on this of course. He should just sell everything I guess.

BluWacky

or that, look at that and then Vision of Escaflowne which is reaaally similar to. He should not be allowed direct or write. sooo bad waste of everyone's time. I'm an expert on this of course. He should just sell everything I guess.

Every time someone mentions the similarities between Escaflowne and Nobunaga I get tempted to watch it again; and every time I can't make it through the first episode without getting bored.

Speaking of which, it's now 2 1/2 years since Funi relicensed Esca for BD release, and still no sign!

Pooya

Every time someone mentions the similarities between Escaflowne and Nobunaga I get tempted to watch it again; and every time I can't make it through the first episode without getting bored.

Speaking of which, it's now 2 1/2 years since Funi relicensed Esca for BD release, and still no sign!

The similarities are just in world/setting maybe aesthetics and some other ideas, everything else is just stupid modern Kawamori. The characters are really really bad and it's has one hilarious ending, lol. Definitely avoid.

Ascheroth

I feel Gintama's strength lies in the fact it mixes things up. Having a whole series that was purely serious/sad with no humour would seriously take away from what Gintama is.

Yep. Part of what makes the serious arcs in Gintama so good is because they are so rare compared to the comedy.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Macross Delta #1

Apart from the nice character animation that was like a total clusterfuck. Frontier started off far more promising than this, I mean at least it had some semblance of a concise plot that had you know actual characterization and hooks and everything.

Will watch all of it though because it's Macross.

Ascheroth

D.Gray-man 10-12

And that's the end of the Miranda arc. Holy shit, I had totally forgotten how brutal Lenalees past was. That takes some courage talking about it like this and being able to smile after all that. Largely thanks to her mad scientist brother Komui.
More information about the Noah family and wow that shot where
Allen melted Roads face
was straight out of a horror movie. Speaking of Road, she sure is OP. The running theme where Allen and co are hugely underpowered compared to the enemy continues and this time they would have kicked the bucket a hundred times over if Miranda hadn't been there. And even then, their wounds are anything but light, especially Lenalee...

Macross Frontier 1-8

Preparing for Delta. I think I watched this a couple of years ago, but the only thing I remember was that Ranka got more annoying as time went on and Sheryl > Ranka.

So yeah, this is still a pretty fun watch. Alto is a cool lead and I like the songs and action. Some of the lyrics are really cringeworthy though. Makes me both amused and impressed that someone can sing this with a straight face.

Macross 9-13

Started this a while ago and watched some more episodes. I don't really like Minmay all that much.
The first 'contact' between Hikaru and co and the Zentradi was comedy gold. 'How do you make love? Show us!' lol.
And Max successfully sneaking around with his robot wearing a trenchcoat. Amazing.

Macross Delta Preview Special

Huh.
Not really sold on the CG but the concept looks fun. No idea where the hell this could go, but I guess I'll watch.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark

If there was one nagging feeling I had while watching this, it's that you really feel the constraints Yutaka Izubuchi had to work around in trying to fit a self-contained, film length adventure within the last few episodes of the series. With the knowledge of how those last few episodes transpire, there was a real lack of drive in the first thirty minutes or so. You see the crew working themselves back into a relaxed mode with them nearing the finish line, except the antics that happen between them feel strained. There's an attempt to give some sidelined characters more screen time, while also introducing this new female analyst character. Neither of which come across naturally in the grand scheme of things. While the Gamilan side fared better in this intro, I was disappointed to see the big barbaric leader turn out to be so bland. He's a brute that's neither compelling or intimidating, so he's pretty much a MCU villain. But that's more of a result of not having episodes of build up like the series proper did well with its villains.

Thank god the movie switches into a ep.14-esque psychological chamber drama shortly after though. Once that happened, it felt like homecoming for a series I'd almost forgotten how much I missed. It's also here where it really stretches its visual chops, finds its groove, and maintains a steady pace to the end. The last third especially reminded me of how well this reboot has handled these large space battles. No matter how many times they cut to lasers firing and fodder ships exploding, they always maintain clarity of where the primary ships are located, emphasizing how character actions turn the tides, and nailing the emotional beats on a micro and macro level. I love understated moments like when Berger tells Neredia
that he ran into Meria in the Hotel.
Bless Junichi Suwabe.

Odyssey of the Celestial Ark certainly stumbles here and there, but it still delights in many of the same ways that made me love the reboot series to begin with. Plus I'm always a sucker for that Yamato theme.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People that watched free for gou or ace of diamond for the manager...iCant.
Yeah, they should have watched Free for sensei instead.

--------------------

TUSR has only watched the first half of Cindy Gals so it's no surprise he's enjoying it. It went downhill with the second half with the extreme focus on New Generation at the cost of everything else.

Yeah, they should have watched Free for sensei instead.

--------------------

TUSR has only watched the first half of Cindy Gals so it's no surprise he's enjoying it. It went downhill with the second half with the extreme focus on New Generation at the cost of everything else.
I was entirely the reverse. I didn't enjoy the first half of the series as much as the second. The second half was fantastic because it focused on each girl's struggles with the changes the new manager was doing.

Should probably continue Shounen Hollywood. Was pretty solid 5 episodes in. Though I still have little interest in the idol business, even if this is at least the kind of take I'd like to see on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom