• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean... Plenty of anime does this as well lol. Even games, with the whole death thing. Danganronpa says hello.

He doesn't like it when anime does it either, I still remember his Erased impressions, lol.

Honestly though I have to agree. A cliffhanger here or there is one thing, but if it keeps happening too often then the shock value wears off and it just becomes the new logic.

Gundam IBO is cliffhanger central lmfao.

Right when things are about to get AWESOME, the closing credits come up. Then the next week comes, and because the buildup came a week ago it just isn't as impactful in my opinion, even if the scene is filled with action. You have to strike a balance between keeping your audience guessing, but also creating a buildup with a satisfying conclusion on a somewhat weekly basis. Just don't keep cutting things off when they are about to get heated and expect me to care nearly as much when it only lasts 5mins 1 week later.

At the very least with a distinct look and a clear premise it's creative and interesting.

I just hope they don't start fucking over power levels.

"you fool I actually had a secret weapon. A third fist."

this is the premise
In this work, an anima-machine named “Mecha-ude” with self-awareness appears. Even though they look inorganic in nature, they all show or express their own feelings and opinions. They can feel angry, sad, and even encouraged to fight against enemies.

It's a story about teenagers who lack of communication live, fight, and grow together with “Mecha-ude”. But how are they going to communicate with “Mecha-ude” which come from a whole different world?
And they can only blow up the power level so much, since it's only a 24 minutes pilot episode.

Also I checked Okamoto(the kickstarter creator) previous work called 11:08. It's very short(2min) but It had something I really like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1QO34iwTAU

JulianImp

The fact that you've given it thought / you're self aware about it puts you ahead of most people. I don't think you need to go as far as burying that side of you, though. Just accepting it and trying your best not to hurt others is good enough.

Anyway, I think you'll like (and possibly even relate more to) Asuka in S2 of Eupho. She's so much better now.

It was easy for me to tell something was wrong about the way she'd swing from being social and playful one second, only to turn dead serious the next, but I honestly didn't expect her to actually snap and shed her mask so thoroughly, which has resulted in me becoming incredibly invested in her character arc as a result. I've watched up to S2E3 so far, but needless to say I'm really hyped for Ep4 now.

Funimation to Release Shinkai's 'your name.' Film Theatrically Before End of 2016
Entertainment news magazine Variety reported on Wednesday that Funimation is expected to release Makoto Shinkai's your name. (Kimi no Na wa.) anime film theatrically before the end of the year, and before releasing the film in digital. The report states that Funimation's 2016 theatrical release will be a qualifying run for the Academy Awards. A film has to run in a theater in Los Angeles County for a week to qualify for consideration in the awards.
The film is slated to open in 85 countries and regions. The film held its world premiere on July 3 in Los Angeles during Anime Expo. The Busan International Film Festival in South Korea screened the film on October 9.
No other specifics.

Thoraxes

Asuka isn't a sociopath. She's just a really driven person who is really focused on their craft rather than on personal relationships.

It's not a lack of empathy. She would just rather focus on improving herself and the band than on making friends with people.

She's a character that I can relate t, because I definitely had a period of that in my life towards the end of my time in highschool (I was in about 9 ensembles, pretty much at rehearsal when I wasn't in a classroom for about a full year).

jediyoshi

Hibike! Euphonium S2 04

AR528DE.png

klkAWzA.png

I feel like the running joke this season has been Kumiko watching story lines more interesting than hers that she's not involved in which pretty much sums up this episode. Nicely surprised to see Mizore's arc wrapped up already, even though Asuka's basically now reset to being chaotic neutral again.

Jex

??? Psycho Pass is disliked in here? I mean, I'm not a huge fan of it, but everywhere else I've gone is madly in love with it.
I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's got issues.

My biggest problem with it is that it's the definition of pretentious. It wants to make some kind of grand statement alongside other classic tales of dystopian fiction, constantly namedropping better, more thoughtful works, but it's content to just be a pulpy mess about the Grand Eccentric Mastermind and the one Cop On The Edge who can match wits with him, fighting against a deeply silly Grand Conspiracy.

Intelligence is measured in how many philosophers you can quote from memory. Most of the cast winds up badly underdeveloped. The actual concerns about the appropriate boundary between individual freedom and collective submission, or individual discretion in applying broad, dogmatic law get ignored for the sake of shock value and "raising the stakes". In terms of being an actually thoughtful work of science fiction (compared to Ghost in the Shell, Time of Eve, Harmony, or even Gargantia) it falls deeply short.

Some of that is just my expectations going in (since they were aiming for Ghost in the Shell in their marketing of the series), because as pulpy cyberpunk it has its moments. It's fine. The whole helmet arc is pretty exciting, particularly. It just doesn't do justice to its premise.

It's still probably the show I feel the silliest for giving the benefit of the doubt in its early episodes.
sonicmj1/duckroll has almost said everything negative I'd say about PyschoPass (although I'm more comfortable calling it 'bad') except I feel compelled to point out how ugly show looks. The lighting, the colouring, the background art, the composition - it looks like something from a C-tier studio, not from a supposedly flagship PIG production. Heck, Blood-C looks better.

Star Wars Rebels Season 3 Episodes 1-6

Boy this show isn't coming together like I hoped...So The Clone Wars wasn't a perfect show to be certain, but it was still something I enjoyed overall. Rebels is a show that feels like a downgrade in almost every regard. The action isn't as good, and there's no real sense of stakes here. I could go on, but I wanna talk about something I find hilarious and also annoying. Now, Rebels is clearly aimed at a younger audience, and that's fine. But Rebels, even more than the Clone Wars, wants to end almost every episode on a happy kid friendly note, even when it shouldn't. They recently brought back a character from the clone wars, Kalani. Now if you watched the Clone Wars, you know Kalani was a straight up villain, who tortured and executed people. Here in Rebels, he's given a much softer voice, and buries the hatchet with Rex via talk no jutsu. This is after he kidnapped them, and forced them to fight so he could finish the clone wars on his own terms.

Then Kalani leaves, totally fine.

Fuck that.

That's terrible.

KraytarJ

Girlish Number 03
We go from confident, and really just cocky, Chitose to I don't know if I can do this Chitose to I actually have to work hard at this Chitose in the course of an episode but it was one heck of a ride. Seeing Chitose humbled like that was a little tough to watch since she's just been a bright spot that seemed so able to let everything roll off her back but seeing growth like that is encouraging. Then of course ending the episode with Momoka's struggle seeing the more artistic and passionate side of VA that the other veteran actors could see was a nice setup.

Ninja Girl and Samurai Master 04
Who doesn't love a good tsundere? And of course true to form for this show the trope was handled as well as funnily three and a half minutes would allow.

Sound Euphonium 2-04
It feels like it's been so long since I've seen a good high-school-ass anime. The overly dramatic takes on relationships and situations that only anime seems to be able to cover. But damn if Mizore's storyline wasn't great, seeing her worry about how much Nozomi actually cares about her and why it is she plays music was handled so well. Then of course following that up with Asuka continuing to be the enigma she always was and ending with Kumiko and Reina having a little talk about why Reina plays was a nice fit.

Jex

If you're comparing certain genres like scifi or fantasy, anime is definitely better than any of the existing counterparts in live action television because the live action television counterparts mostly suck ass or are heavily flawed (BSG). Westworld is good though.

The thing about Westworld though is that I don't feel like it's very ambitious show in terms of the actual cinematography. It has nice some nice sets and pretty costumes but the actual filmmaking is very standard. It's certainly no True Detective. Heck, I think something like the British TV comedy from 1999 Spaced had a more ambitious visual style by far, and that show didn't cost hundred of millions of dollars.

sonicmj1

sonicmj1/duckroll has almost said everything negative I'd say about PyschoPass (although I'm more comfortable calling it 'bad') except I feel compelled to point out how ugly show looks. The lighting, the colouring, the background art, the composition - it looks like something from a C-tier studio, not from a supposedly flagship PIG production. Heck, Blood-C looks better.

Well, I could have brought up the production problems, but eh.

Baalzebup

Vivid Strike 1-4
So I was reminded about this being a thing via the few posts going "holy shit" on ep 4 and jumped right in, as I was ok with the original Vivid manga and animu. It's always been of different flavor, but still shares a decent bit of the Nanoha DNA. I enjoy the general format and the combat keeps the good flow with chained attacks, setups and combos. No Sakuga, but I like it.

I also approve of the episode 4 anti-bully methods. Remember kids, don't bully. The victim might grow a spine one day and proceed to break yours.

Verelios

Flip Flappers 1

Halfway through making a long post detailing how I watched this trying to somehow make everything sensibly plausible, I stopped myself once I was able to bulletpoint my themes down to anxiety, stress, psychedelic drugs, child abduction, escape and finally...child abduction. My previous post, given the circumstances, was not a place I really wanted to explore. Interesting episode nonetheless, and I enjoy it a lot more thinking everything is a trip.

Also, was that sequence(you know the one) more DBZ than Dragon Ball or what?

Jex

As you may recall, I noted that episode 9 of Fafner actually looked pretty good. A quick check of the credits has revealed why. Episode 9 was directed and storyboarded by Toshimasa Suzuki, whose talents were clearly recognised because he went on to help partially direct and storyboard Fafner: Heaven and Earth. He also directed Lagrange - The Flower of Rin-ne.

[Fafner: Dead Aggressor] - 10

As you might expect, that quality of work did not carry over to the next episode. Accurate representation of my reaction to the art slipping back to normal this week:

For a concrete example of what I am talking about, let's examine these two male side-characters from episode 9:

Now in episode 10:

The difference is fairly striking.

Also, when did that guy (Soshi?) start to dress like he was in a 90's boy band:

Beyond my normal complaints about the art, at least this episode was light-hearted which gave the audience a chance to escape the show's relentlessly dark tone.

Qurupeke

Hibike! Euphonium S2 04

I feel like the running joke this season has been Kumiko watching story lines more interesting than hers that she's not involved in which pretty much sums up this episode.

I'd swear this is happening since S1. She chose a side on the whole Reina vs Kaori incident and even though she got close to Reina during S1, it felt like she was on the sidelines.

caliph95

For my first ever post on Animegaf i'm going to talk About Jojo and Drifters. Finally Caught up with Jojo and on episode 2 of Drifters.

It's good.

Seriously though i am going to watch the dub version of 91 Days and Izetta.

Quasar

Natsume 5.04 - Nice. Some interesting pieces about the Matoba clan were learned. Also interesting to see how powerful the wards were that it would impair Madara. At least for a time.

Looking forward to next week with a Taki centric story.

Thud

oh is it for sure? Funimation has been claiming 24 episodes for the season and 85 specials (or 1/5ths of episodes) So I wasn't sure which was the correct end point. Well, that's a bit sad.

85 shorts of 5 minutes as far as I know. Which makes for 17 full episodes.

While I like Higu, you can't be mentioning horror without recommending Paranoia Agent. It's some seriously good horror show if you can get your hands on it. Just pretend the somewhat-sequel series Umineko: when they cry doesn't actually exist, because the anime adaptation's just ass and ended halfway through the plot because the show bombed hard.

I wouldn't call paranoia agent a horror first. It definitely deals with fears and people losing their minds, but that's not uncommon in psychological thrillers. I also think anything Satoshi Kon did is worth watching (might be biased here). At least so people can form their opinion on those works.

Despite Umineko being bad, it made me curious. Fucking goats man.

Taruranto

Slightly confused. Do you mean episode 22 of the first series or was it initially chopped in two separate runs? Just trying to figure out if you mean Psycho-Pass 2 itself was terrible but entertaining or the last 10 episodes of the first were.

I'm strictly speaking about the fist season except with in last sentence.

I consider the second half of Psycho Pass S1 slightly better, but mostly because stuff was finally happening more than anything, the characters were still paper-thin (Their attempt to give Yayoi some character was so hilarious in how ham-fisted it was) and the plot itself was pretty meh.

Cornbread78

For my first ever post on Animegaf i'm going to talk About Jojo and Drifters. Finally Caught up with Jojo and on episode 2 of Drifters.

It's good.

Seriously though i am going to watch the dub version of 91 Days and Izetta.

Drifters is mindless bloodfest fun, but the comedy is bad.

Izetta is pretty damn good, so you have something to look forward to there! For some reason, it's just an awesone spectacle watching a witch destroy an army with magic, lol. Besides that, the tonevand story ate matching well with the good animation and art.

Qurupeke

Girlish Number 3
Chitose's voice acting was unbelievably terrible, but I love how she kept being so smug. And she made a first step on improving herself, that's something. The characters, even Chitose, aren't actually as mean as I thought. However, I still don't get Momoka's personality. It appears that she cares about her juniors, but she's also quite sarcastic and she throws a lot of jabs. Gojo is the only decent character, and yet he's a massive bully to Chitose.

Also, it's interesting that the series seems to show the producer and the LN author in a really bad light. Both of them are basically presented as incompetent. lol The in-anime anime is already doomed.

Szadek

Smile Precure - Ep. 20
Another episode with one of Majorina's inventions, those are always fun.
Beauty did a good how at finding away to fight the invisible Akanbe.

Cardcaptor Sakura - Ep. 11
No action scene this episode, but we got to see Tomoyo's house and the backstory we got this episode was nice as well.
The shield card should come inhandy for the coming catching the upcoming cards.

Defuser

Hibike! Euphonium 2 ep 4

Man this Yuko....she is destined to be shitted on in this show.

Previous season she failed to get Kaori achieved in getting the solo part not to mention Kaori fucked her over by backing out.

And now this season Mizore which she thinks she is close with mentally cheats on her for Nozomi.

Anime watchers and book readers probably hates her.

Now this is a true character suffering.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm just getting a 'page doesn't exist' error so I'll just assume Qurupeke is talking nonsense and that Ash is indeed a loser.

Andrew J.

I cannot disagree with any aspect part of this analysis.

One thing which gives me pause when discussing Yukina as a female pilot is how little actual mecha piloting see actual does vs sitting in the back seat and occasionally pointing things out. She often feels more like a component required to start the mecha as opposed to a fully fledged pilot.

Being serious for a moment...

I can't speak with any authority about the production process of Kuromukuro, of course, but I believe the decision to have humanoid antagonists was made and finalized early, and that made putting Yukina in a more passive role necessary for this parallel.

Classic super robot shows used monsters for enemies because having the heroes go out and kill people every episode would be too dissonant. Eva examined collateral damage, and had Shinji confront the necessity of deliberately killing a person at the end, but if that had been an issue throughout the whole show it would have been very different. Not to put too fine a point on it, but anime about teenage mecha pilots grappling with the ethical and psychological consequences of fighting and killing people already exist, and they're called "Gundam".

So in Kuromukuro the core of Yukina's development revolves around her decision to face danger, and adding in questions about whether she's willing or able to kill these human-looking invaders would have complicated or maybe even overshadowed that issue.

Haikyuu S3 1

Haikyuu is so effortlessly good. I've seen quite a few sports anime that fail due to multiple reasons - poor production, static animation and direction, flanderized characters, pointlessly dragged out pacing, confused or nonsensical plot progression - that's it's great to return to one that is so consistently confident in its execution. The player introductions alone in this episode demonstrate the care the anime staff are putting into this, as each Karasuno player is given distinct animation that clearly displays their individual personalities.

The ED is a static pan, but I still really like it because the character art is very good. I wonder who drew it; I didn't notice any credit for it.

caliph95

Drifters is mindless bloodfest fun, but the comedy is bad.

Izetta is pretty damn good, so you have something to look forward to there! For some reason, it's just an awesone spectacle watching a witch destroy an army with magic, lol. Besides that, the tonevand story ate matching well with the good animation and art.

Then i have something to look forward to but i'm betting i'm going to enjoy 91 Days since it's more my style. will probably add Mob Psycho.

I wouldn't call the comedy bad but when the switch art styles the comedy tends to be shit.

Flip Flappers - 4

So in this episode, it's revealed that Papika and Cocona need to live together in order to get better synchronization rates so they'll be able to pilot the Evas better-wait a minute...

All kidding aside, this was another good episode focusing squarely on Papika and Cocona's relationship with each other. No Pure Illusion this time, but we sure got some vivid, colourful imagery in Papika's "house".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom