• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
rHtv6qy.jpg

sasuke_91

LOL

Quoting my question for new page.

I dropped Fairy Tail shortly after the Edolas arc when
you get to know that the girl who always drinks is Shanks' daughter (yep, forgot the names)
. People tell me that it gets waaay better after
the time skip and when the tournament arc starts
. Is that true? Is it worth watching/readin again at that point?

I lost all interest in the series when they
brought Lisanna back for some reason and made her a side character. She was one of the things I found interesting in this anime and the way it was handled was just bad imo. Also, the way everyone is friends again and everything "just works" after a big event. Like in the Edolas arc... "Oh, we'll lose all magic that we relied on so much up until now and after we got help by people who use magic? We'll manage it just fine" Ehhh, no...

Maybe my memory of this series is just bad or my perception was kind of weird, but that's how it looked to me.

And adding the question: Where would I start if I wanted to get back in?

Sölf

Keijo!!!!!!!! 04
Oh god, this is still so damn good. I laughed the whole time, it's so damn ridiculous. That Ass of Vajra was some Pillar Man shit. We JoJo now.

But yeah, real talk:

Best show of the season becaue it's so stupidly funny.

Jex

Being serious for a moment...

I can't speak with any authority about the production process of Kuromukuro, of course, but I believe the decision to have humanoid antagonists was made and finalized early, and that made putting Yukina in a more passive role necessary for this parallel.

Classic super robot shows used monsters for enemies because having the heroes go out and kill people every episode would be too dissonant. Eva examined collateral damage, and had Shinji confront the necessity of deliberately killing a person at the end, but if that had been an issue throughout the whole show it would have been very different. Not to put too fine a point on it, but anime about teenage mecha pilots grappling with the ethical and psychological consequences of fighting and killing people already exist, and they're called "Gundam".

So in Kuromukuro the core of Yukina's development revolves around her decision to face danger, and adding in questions about whether she's willing or able to kill these human-looking invaders would have complicated or maybe even overshadowed that issue.
I understand your argument and it's true that there was already quite a lot going on in the show without dealing with the issue of Yukina having to kill other people. However, by having her present in a passive capacity it does feel like the show is trying to have its cake and eat it too by allowing Yukina to develop as character without (for the most part) having to deal with here as a warrior who needs to kill others.

But this is all extremely minor stuff and not really relevant to the main thrust of the series .

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yuri on Ice is the first anime in years with something to say.

Jex

[Yuri on Ice] - 4

The production is clearly taking a hit this far into the series but I am enjoying it nevertheless. I find myself engaged in the work far more than I would have initially imagined.

[Flip Flappers] - 4

Well, for the people complaining about their being too much sexualised content in this cartoon, you won't be pleased with this week's episode. It's pretty full on.

Wait, Vine is shutting down?

But where will I get terrible anime jokes in rapid succession!?

[Flip Flappers] - 4

Well, for the people complaining about their being too much sexualised content in this cartoon, you won't be pleased with this week's episode. It's pretty full on.

That's really unfortunate...ugh.

Flip Flappers 4

Such a shame they feel the need to fill this with this weird fan-service. It feels so out of place :/

Otherwise it's a beautiful show.

Prediction

I get the feeling that we will get an episode where Cocona will get mad or abandon Papika for something she did to Yayaka and they will lose their power because of this. It will end with like Cocona realising Yayaka is wrong going full power and saving Papika.

Naruto 481

This episode was Sasuke and Sakura focused. Sasuke's segment had some very low budget shot. One scenes had this this really awkward image and they kept it on screen for like way too long. But kid Sasuke's cuteness compensated and the brother moment got me good.

I was entertained, so I'll see you next week Naruto.

Flip Flappers 4

Such a shame they feel the need to fill this with this weird fan-service. It feels so out of place :/

I can understand why people would not like the sexual elements in Flip Flappers, but I'm not sure that it's really out of place. There's been consistently a sexual edge to the depiction of the girls in the show in each episode, in both obvious (episode 3's henshin) and more subtle (episode 2's biting compulsion) ways. We're not talking about a normally tame show that suddenly has random breast bouncing in one scene.

I can understand why people would not like the sexual elements in Flip Flappers, but I'm not sure that it's really out of place. There's been consistently a sexual edge to the depiction of the girls in the show in each episode, in both obvious (episode 3's henshin) and more subtle (episode 2's biting compulsion) ways. We're not talking about a normally tame show that suddenly has random breast bouncing in one scene.
I mean the first 2 episode were quite tame and it never had anything sexual blown to your face. It had subtle sexual moments, nothing more. Episode 3 sexual moments were really out of place. For episode 4 I guess it's out of place with what I was expecting from the show? I mean 2 bath scenes? How old are these girls? 14?

Compared to lets say, Food Wars, I wasn't expecting it.

Anyway it doesn't kill the show for me, but it still bothers me.

Flip Flappers - 04

The relationship between Cocona and Papika is so flimsy I couldn't give a damn about this episode. Would've helped if they had actually properly established their relationship to begin with but instead episode 2's ending was entirely nonsensical. After Cocona just barely escaped deadly peril yet again, she decides that she kinda had enough fun and wants to keep venturing on with Papika even though she has fuck all of an idea what Papika, the pure illusions etc. are all about. They could've given us at least somewhat believable events that lead up their friendship but Cocona just barely avoiding a bath in lava and other fun activities...

The attempts at exploring Cocona's psyche this episode felt feeble. *villain flashback telling me I'm worthless* oh hey, Papika showed up after leaving me behind once more! And oh she knows so much about fruits oh isn't she awesome and I'm not and balbabla. Just weak sauce.

Hoping next episode's pure illusion will deliver on the visual front so there's a reason to keep watching.

And the sniffing! And occasionally perverted robot. Yeh, it was all there from the beginning.

Aki-at

Keijo!!!!!!!! - 4

Wedgie powerup is the most innovative battle technique I've ever seen.

"Her soft buns assassinate enemy asses" - I'm not sure if there's a line that'll top this.

Szadek

LOL

The tournament arc still has a shitload of problems. The only part of it that I really liked was after the tournament was over.
The main reason to watch more FT at this is to get the 2 of the best and last arcs in the anime, Tartaros and Zero.

LOL

If you ever start back just make sure you skip the filler episodes. Fairy Tail is always the same. Early arcs are slow and can be boring, then as an arc advance it gets hot and it's worth watching.

I guess Fairy Tail is kind of boring when they are no fights.

But yea Tartaros is awesome and the later parts of the tournaments are pretty cool.

Sterok

The era of wholesome magical girls is dead, it has been dead, and it's something I still haven't gotten over of.

Precure still got you. And the subs might start being consistent again, so yay.

Flip Flappers 4

Cocona/Papika really can't carry this show. Papika is just a crazy stalker, and Cocona's "enthusiasm" for all this feels forced. Yayaka might have potential, but there's not much to go on with her. Next episode has the crazy stuff happening, so that should be okay at least.

Shergal

Flip Flappers - 04
After Cocona just barely escaped deadly peril yet again, she decides that she kinda had enough fun and wants to keep venturing on with Papika even though she has fuck all of an idea what Papika, the pure illusions etc. are all about.
People with not self-esteem at all will cling to the first thing that gives them attention, or anything really

People with not self-esteem at all will cling to the first thing that gives them attention, or anything really

Conceptually Flip Flappers is fine - its pairing of a wild energetic character with a shy, naturally uptight one is a classic combination. But its execution of anything having to do with characterization of Papika or Cocona beyond the shallowest level is not convincing. I love the visual design and the creative fantasy worlds the show is giving us, but anytime it tries to sell an emotionally resonant character moment it comes off as weak.

Cornbread78

Wolf's Rain ep.24
They have all been lured into Jungara's trap and are being taken out 1 by 1. This boss lady isn't playing games as her castle is filled with stuffed dead wolves all over the place.. Shoukd be interestibg to see how the hell they get out of this one.

All OUT!! 4

While I think this episode did great on the animation front, the pacing got a little weird. The actions scenes did not really fit well, back to back and there was some random slow moments. Other then that still love the characters and man I love the impact scenes/sounds.

Twin star exorcist 29

One little thing thats bugs me with the anime adaptation is that the power levels visually are all over the places. I mean Arima and that Basara are supposed to be really strong, but when the battle starts all the hits felt weak. Only near the end of it did I think the visuals did justice to Arima's strength.

Otherwise I have been enjoying this arc and watching TSE weekly is fun. Seems the filler ends next week.

Conceptually Flip Flappers is fine - its pairing of a wild energetic character with a shy, naturally uptight one is a classic combination. But its execution of anything having to do with characterization of Papika or Cocona beyond the shallowest level is not convincing. I love the visual design and the creative fantasy worlds the show is giving us, but anytime it tries to sell an emotionally resonant character moment it comes off as weak.

Of course it can't compete to the classics like Nagisa and Honoka

Cornbread78

Fairy Tale ep.59
Well, that went in a direction I wasn't expecting at all! It's a shame Lucy couldn't grab the other wizards keys, but I'm sure they will meet again in the future. The show just continues to be a fun watch.

yo

what the fuck is up with that Berserk tv show blu-ray price in Japan.

Please say it ain't so. I have the three films, and I'd like to own the fucking tv series too.

Narag

Will Crunchy just use the version they got in their streaming site, or will they also use the enhanced visuals?

They'll likely use whatever the JP release uses.. Was there ever more of a comprehensive look at the changes past that one PV? Everyone losing their mind over one itty bitty gif was funny.

I doubt it. But I'll wait for reviews of the blu ray to see just how much was improved. I don't mind if they simply retouch certain scenes. I mean the films did the same.

Jex

One particular element of their 'relationship' that I find bizarre is how they go through almost the same relationship-arc every episode. Every episode starts with Cocona being, in some way, down on or distant from Papika and then buy the end of the episode they're bestest of friends. Repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom