• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

I wouldn't call paranoia agent a horror first. It definitely deals with fears and people losing their minds, but that's not uncommon in psychological thrillers. I also think anything Satoshi Kon did is worth watching (might be biased here). At least so people can form their opinion on those works.

Despite Umineko being bad, it made me curious. Fucking goats man.

I guess it's just that I don't like jump scare/gore horror, and find things that blur the line between reality and fantasy like Paranoia Agent (or most of Kon's other works) and Twin Peaks more scary than man-eating monsters or psychopathic killers. I really like Lynch's work there and want to watch more of his filmography, but the way he can make seemingly normal things unsettling as hell is a bit too much for me sometimes.

Then there's Another, which I initially fell in love with due to the bizzarre, Lynch-esque atmosphere it had. For example, I found the doll museum lady amazing due to how even her dialogue was unsettling, repeating the exact same things to the MC on two different occasions... but then she just ceased to matter to the plot and never showed up again, with not a single character even noting her absence. I kind of felt like the first few episodes were a psychological thriller with a single unfortunate death thrown in, but then the damn curse showed up, turning things into a crappy version of Final Destination... that development really saddened me, because I thought I was getting Lynch-lite when what I ended up getting was just cheap and senseless gore.

As for Umineko, yeah, I guess it's nice that it might've made some more people learn about the series, but it was pretty badly handled, IMO. I was really let down when I realized the anime adaptation stopped at the halfway point of the series, which was well before things actually paid off plot-wise.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Flip Flappers Episode 4:

Well, this is certainly the most grounded episode so far taking place mostly in the real world save for the girls entering the Dr. Who Tunnel at the end there. Mainly this episode was focusing on getting Cocona to work together because their harmonic co0nvergence is a little on the lacking side. Also, I guess they have fully realized their feelings at this point, or at least getting close to it given the ending here. Also, we get a bit of insight onto Yayakia and all I can say right now she is the generic evil rival character with obscured motivations.

sasuke_91

I dropped Fairy Tail shortly after the Edolas arc when
you get to know that the girl who always drinks is Shanks' daughter (yep, forgot the names)
. People tell me that it gets waaay better after
the time skip and when the tournament arc starts
. Is that true? Is it worth watching/readin again at that point?

I lost all interest in the series when they
brought Lisanna back for some reason and made her a side character. She was one of the things I found interesting in this anime and the way it was handled was just bad imo. Also, the way everyone is friends again and everything "just works" after a big event. Like in the Edolas arc... "Oh, we'll lose all magic that we relied on so much up until now and after we got help by people who use magic? We'll manage it just fine" Ehhh, no...

Maybe my memory of this series is just bad or my perception was kind of weird, but that's how it looked to me.

Yuri on Ice ep.4
Dropped for now, I like my sports animes with hype matches/tournaments and I'm clearly not in the target demographic for this shows humour.

JulianImp

Eupho 2 - #4
The drama did feel a bit phoned-in, but the actual execution was great IMO. Friendless girl got so hung up on her first friend leaving her that she didn't even realize how far she had come on her own, but I was glad to see that Yuko laid her own emotions bare to reach out to her friend, even if it meant putting into words the frustration of realizing that she'd never compare to the other girl in her friend's eyes.

We didn't get as much Asuka as I had expected, but what we got... hoo boy. She doesn't come off as a mere pragmatist, but rather as a thought process I know very well: She is all but unable to put herself in anybody else's shoes, so all she does is project herself onto others instead. Not only did she label Mizore as a clingy, manipulative and selfish girl and actually went and accepted her own absurd hypothesis as the truth, but she even decided to play along with what she herself deemed as petty drama because she thought that putting up with it was the optimal solution.

The words people use to refer to others are very telling of who they are themselves, and the little exchange Asuka and Kumiko had really shows that if there's anyone who's manipulative and selfish, as well as being overly calculating in terms of her behavior, it's Asuka. If my reading of her character is right, she couldn't care less about the rest of the band as long as what they did lined up with her desires, and is willing to put up with and humor others as long as she gets what she wants out of them... only the complicated situations are slowly putting a dent in her mask, so she might be relying on Kumiko as a way to vent against a figurative sandbag (since Asuka knows she isn't the confrontative type). Personally, her last line wasn't as much "let's make it to Nationals" as it was "let me make it to Nationals".

Asuka at least does have the fortitude to keep up a front for the most part, but it's also pretty obvious that it's nothing more than a filmsy mask, and that things will end up badly if she's ever pushed into a corner to the point that she ends up saying what she really thinks outside of the controlled environment she has created for herself whenever she and Kumiko are alone.

Taruranto

Image spoiler still broken :mad:

Erin 36-39
hSOE1nH.jpg
I'm genuinely surprised Erin actually managed not only to graduate, but successfully succeed as a teacher. Lilan is (was?) a time bomb, so I was expecting some major disaster to happen that would have forced her to fly away from the academy, but instead the situation stayed pretty stable for 39 episodes.

The graduation scene was kinda awkward, however. "Congratulation Erin, you did it! And everyone else too, yeah, good job" lol.

On other hand Shinon character, I did appreciate that it brought back the fact that ultimately Erin's society is not very kind to women, but the thing ended up being a tad too heavy handled as well
Own's birth scene being reaaaally cheesy.

It's something I noticed a lot in this show, I guess it's a result of trying to appeal to a younger audience.

The Queen's visit arc pretty much spelled out something I always suspected: The Queen is pretty much a puppet, and she doesn't even seem to realize that herself. She seems rather content with it actually, despite being fairly old she's clearly acts more like a child than anything.

No wonder Damian is trying to seize power.

Speaking of Damian, while the show clearly wants me to dislike him (He's a snake, he poisons people, he harasses Erin, he's Akira Ishida), he is at least a character trying to do something, even if that something is probably evil. The Queen is a puppet content with her life and completely unaware and uncaring of the suffering of the people in the Grand Duke quarter. The show wants me to think she's a person worth protecting, and while she's probably not a bad person per se, it's hard to think the country wouldn't be better with someone else in power.

I do wonder if his objective is just to seize power through, he seemed positively enchanted by Erin riding Lilian.

Speaking of seizing power, what are they doing with this character? His objective is essentially to maintain the status quo, which it's just WEIRD and totally not realizable given that even now things are changing.

Branduil

Once you guys who are dissing Asuka learn the secret reason for her behavior, you will feel ashamed of your words and deeds.

(I don't know any spoilers, I'm just guessing).

Qurupeke

Flip Flappers 4

???

Is that rabbit evil or what?

Next episode looks interesting, I wasn't really fond of this one, so that's good.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oooh, excitement. Seeing all of those scenes makes me want to go back and watch S1 again.

Also, I just got around to watching Flip Flappers Ep 3. Wow, what an episode. If I ever wondered what a Fist of the North Star x Kill la Kill x Sailor Moon mashup would look like, now I know. Pure random awesomeness.

Basically you get Mad Max: Yuri Road.

PK Gaming

Once you guys who are dissing Asuka learn the secret reason for her behavior, you will feel ashamed of your words and deeds.

I'll have you know that Asuka is my second favorite character!

Anime characters tend to be super straightforward, so having an unconventional character like is really refreshing.

Qurupeke

I can't wait for the revelation that she's the mastermind behind the incident with the third years for solely egoistical reasons.

Cornbread78

Aww yeah, Texas loves the hand holding Izetta.

Pretty sure it's the alternate WW2 aspect and GUNS and TANKS.

LOL, I get the reference there....

But seriously, c'mon dude.... of course it's all about the guns, tanks, fighter jets, mortars and explosions!

Cornbread78

Go Massachusetts! I'm doing my part :p

Yes, a fellow New Englander!

I'm from So. Central NH (about 45 mins outta Beantown)

I can't see the map with it's current file type. What's up there for NH?

EDIT:
C'mon Woofy, NH can't only be into "step-moms." Something is definitely wrong there...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Keijo!!!!!!!! Episode 4:

Strip away the goofy premise and this is a pretty standard shonen sports show when you get down to it.

Baalzebup

Multiple states having Keijo!!! on top of their charts is drop dead funny.
Keijo!!!!!!!! 04
Just want to tell you all that this episode is called "The Battle for the Fastest Butt!!!!”
Hehaha, this episode really steps up the good shit. Literally only disappointing factor was them not going for the far superior naming option, Vajrass.

This might be the episode for ya, Admiral Doge. Stupidly hilarious special attacks left and right.

Line_HTX

Wow, there's more states that watch Drifters than Yuri on Ice. I guess they dig Kouta Hirano's style. Not that it's bad, I like it too, it's just sometimes the comedy bits are kind of a hit or miss.

Wow, there's more states that watch Drifters than Yuri on Ice. I guess they dig Kouta Hirano's style. Not that it's bad, I like it too, it's just sometimes the comedy bits are kind of a hit or miss.

That comedy is the worst part of the show for me. It's just so awkward and often unfunny. I wonder how it's received in Japan for its 'intended audience.'

caliph95

Makes sense anime fans in generally prefer action series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom