• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterok

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku 5

Of course Ripple has to make things worse than they need to be. She's got no reason to be hostile to anyone, but she's a cynic by nature. Top Speed certainly has her hands full dealing with her. So Sister Nana is just an idiot. A well meaning idiot, but still an idiot. At least Winterprison has good sense. And she's definitely a good person too. They make a good couple. Too bad Winterprison will probably go berserk once someone manages to off Sister Nana. Not sure why Nana hasn't already contacted La Pucelle with her plan seeing how she knows La Pucelle is trustworthy. Cranberry just wants to fight. Well it was obvious she was one of the evil ones a few episodes ago. Nice fight this time.

Magicaloid 44's power is interesting. One day she may get a death beam, and the next she can determine whether insects are male or female. Can't hurt to have her on your side, and her loyalty is to money. Calamity Mary enjoys having another deplorable with her. Too early to tell if Swim Swim has a good idea in mind or not. Hardgore Alice is the new character. I love these edgy names. And now we have Cranberry vs La Pucelle, with Alice planning something concerning Snow White. I predict La Pucelle escapes Cranberry, only to get killed by Alice.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
3 Lions Episode 4:

What am I even watching anymore? It like this show gave up trying to be interested and decided to become a generic slice of life show for some reason. Yea, getting really close to dropping this one.

Qurupeke

3-gatsu no Lion 4
qXPNZpQ.png
8m1vk8L.jpg

yqyKC8L.png
GAFCMGt.jpg
A pretty lax, SoL episode. Despite featuring Kiriyama on a more secondary role this time, I really liked it, it's actually my favourite so far. Hina is too sweet and Akari is just amazing all around, so it's really nice to see more of them. Also, a lot of Shaftisms, I approve.

Hmm, that erotic scene. This is getting interesting.

Ascheroth

So is the crazy girl a love interest now? That's like the only possible way I could pick that show back up.

Every time I see some new posts about Burbank I feel the itch to pick it up again and power through it, watch (parts of) a single episode and drop it again because of how god awful everything is.
The story and such could be interesting but the execution of everything is just so damn piss poor and every single character besides crazy girl sucks.
I mean the pattern with all of the 4 'Heavenly Kings' has been:
- shows up
- turns out he has some sort of history with one of the good guys
- battle between the two ensues, enemy has the upper hand
- flashbacks inbetween to show what happened between them
- good guy gets pushed to the brink and gets saved by his Bubuki, starts realizing something and gets the upper hand

I mean history between characters of two opposing sides isn't even a bad trope, but the way it's used here is just so utterly uninspired and awful and it doesn't help when I don't even like the characters.
/rant

Is there actually any way to see what animes Amazon has included in Prime? Because honestly I can't find shit except randomly stumbling upon something or searching for what I know it has.
Any ideas? :/

phaze

Sangatsu 04

Not much to say other than that I enjoyed the episode. Some lovely backgrounds and facial reactions, comedy in general was on point. Rei's sudden sex PTSD flashback was bit jarring I guess but it was but an instance.

Euphonium S2 Ep. 4

Thank God this stupid arc is done with. Oboe girl has serious problems. This whole thing with her and Nozomi was so fucking dumb.

BluWacky

Things not better than anime this month:

- Doctor Strange

Dr Strange pretty much was anime. Underwritten super-powered characters, wacky humour
LOLCloak!
, pointless love interests (although I thought McAdams was excellent with what she had to do) and crazy visuals.

I quite liked it, but that's as far as it goes; it was an enjoyable enough time in the cinema but I do need a bit more than very clever CGI to grip me in a film these days.

- Luke Cage

Say it ain't so, ducky! I'm halfway through and quite enjoying it, although I've been distracted by other things (exactly the same thing has happened with Jessica Jones and Daredevil season 2...)

Magical Girl Raising Project 5
Yeah, La Pucile is going to get offed, isn't she? That's going to suuuck especially with the Snow White love interest thing going on now. Anyhow, I don't get why Sister Nana isn't trying to get Snow White and La Puclie on her side. I thought their current reputation in the group was that of the people who are "innocent and good beyond all fault"

Then again, she is probably just looking for extra protection rather than an actual ally in stopping all of this

Bubuki Buranki 17

Man this is such an odd turn of developments and I love every minute of it. Seeing Team USA decide to defend Team England because of their heart's desire to no longer be disabled was pretty boss. Not surprised Kaoruko can't control Entei and is gonna need her ass saved.

lostorage incited wixoss 04

Not sure I like this whiplash of Chi suddenly going dark edgelord "I need no friends and no help, I love pain!" bit.

Stella No Mahou 04

I felt like this entire episode was the universe throwing characters at Tamaki for her to have inspiration for her drawing. Instead she got that inspiration from Google Images.

phaze

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

The show as whole was a major suprise, in a good way The lull in the middle and what I've heard of the show beforehand kind of put my twist radar to sleep, so when the usual dose of Urobuchi's curveballs came in the last third, I was completely unprepared, having only expected relatively low key developments. I guess you could get mad at Chamber for displaying a rather singularly un-Ai behaviour, that is if you were a heartless robot yourself but it was done so well that I couldn't help but mute my brain and let my heart approve. All those later game developments slotted very nicely into Ledo's growing rift with his own culture and his final break with that totalitarian indoctrination, which was a character arc I don't really recall seeing a lot in anime and one I enjoyed a lot. I have some minor complaints like quite a bit of quality, Amy not getting to do a lot, fanservice or Pinion getting hit with a really jarring dumbstick to push the narrative but it's all pretty minor. Good to great stuff. And a lovely ED.

Hakaba Kitarou ?-11 END
This on the other hand I didn't like at all. The unusual art direction is the one good thing I will grant it, but after the beginning even that sorta fades into just an occasional standout background here and there. I won't begrudge it for not being scary in the slightest for it is clearly not going for that but even the comedic hijinks which take a huge amount of space in this show are usually painfully dull and unfunny. (unless you like guy farting in people's faces joke repeated a dozen of times I guess) I dunno, I feel its a bit hard to formulate my misgivings with this show other than saying "everything". It's got this 'old school' feel in its writing that permeates it and that yet again made me recoil. The characters have nothing interesting going for them and are basically 2 characteristics stitched up together and even considering the episodic nature of the show, it can be singularly disjointed with how certain characters or events are introduced and forgotten. Kitarou pretty much ignores the fact that Rat killed his soon to be girlfriend, the foster father character is completely forgotten. Altogether, not my cup of coffee at all.

Magical Girl Raising Project 5

I got a kick out of Magicaloid 44. So focussed on conning others, and having such a mixed bag of a power. You just know she's going to come up with an item that's going to be a huge hassle for everyone else. From the snippet of her inner voice, I couldn't tell if she was just an old woman or another male (I think the former?).

I did like the idea that helping others in trouble is such a vague directive that Mary and 44 are able to exploit it and help others do bad things to earn points. Very fitting for Mary and Fav.

La Pucelle is screwed unless Snow White or someone else come in at the last minute. Winterprison struggled against Cranberry until Nana helped out, not sure Pucelle can do much here alone. Pucelle also has a few death flags at this point, so it's not looking good. Cranberry seemed like trouble ever since she smiled at the idea of the death game, and she seems insanely powerful and close with Fav, so she's definitely going to be trouble.

Trickster 4

Dropped. I just don't think this is ever going to rise above okay/mediocre. The daily mysteries are bland, none of the characters are anything to write home about, and not even the overarching mystery is that intriguing. If it gets great reviews when it ends I might revisit it, but I don't think I'm interested enough for 20 more episodes + 2 OVAs.

jonjonaug

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
The show as whole was a major suprise, in a good way The lull in the middle and what I've heard of the show beforehand kind of put my twist radar to sleep, so when the usual dose of Urobuchi's curveballs came in the last third, I was completely unprepared, having only expected relatively low key developments. I guess you could get mad at Chamber for displaying a rather singularly un-Ai behaviour, that is if you were a heartless robot yourself but it was done so well that I couldn't help but mute my brain and let my heart approve. All those later game developments slotted very nicely into Ledo's growing rift with his own culture and his final break with that totalitarian indoctrination, which was a character arc I don't really recall seeing a lot in anime and one I enjoyed a lot. I have some minor complaints like quite a bit of quality, Amy not getting to do a lot, fanservice or Pinion getting hit with a really jarring dumbstick to push the narrative but it's all pretty minor. Good to great stuff.

Gargantia could have been a masterpiece if it trimmed down the design by committee aspects (episode 5 mostly) and had more episodes to work with, but instead it was merely a "very good" show that felt a bit rushed in places. The OVAs fix a little of this with some flashback scenes that fill in what should have been 1-2 episodes of additional development and exploring the world that Gargantia takes place in, I recommend checking them out if you have the chance. Sadly the planned sequel that they were supposed to lead into ended up being canceled, and the fact that there won't be any more after so much effort was put into the world and character design (I have the art books for this show and it's like 800 huge pages of design material with a lot of pages having 3+ designs on them) feels like such a waste.

I watched Gargantia because Hanaharu Naruko was the character designer and is one of my favorite lewd artists. Needless to say I was not disappointed with the character design.

Gargantia is mostly a lot of missed potential. An appealing fictional world and culture, and well-executed aspects such as Ledo's gradual process of coming to understand the shipdwellers, but the story ends up going in one of the least interesting directions it could have gone. Murata has a real problem nailing his endings.

Exalted

So how were the last few episodes of Occultic;Nine , was not a fan of the first episode at all, but am still somewhat curios?

Just T

Natsume Yuujinchou Go: 4

Pretty good episode, was interesting to see how they were treating Natsume when they thought he was a shiki, he was even trying to warn them. Glad he had some outside help though and seeing him checking people faces was funny.

petran79

Banned
Megazone 23

Had not the chance to watch it till now with the Blueray release.
I agree that the Matrix was inspired by this feature regarding realization, though this topic is quite common in sci-fi.

First OVA was a nice classic 80s action sci-fi.
Second OVA was one of the best I've seen. I'd rank it as high as Akira and Macross movie. Design and animation were unparalleled.
3rd OVA while decent in production values is inferior to the other two and I wouldnt mind if it didnt exist at all.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Urobuchi's attempts at any concept that is remotely philosophical or political are embarrassing. Gargantia is no different. Really has nothing to do with Murata.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eupho 4:
Teenagers resolve lack of communication problem by communicating zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

So how were the last few episodes of Occultic;Nine , was not a fan of the first episode at all, but am still somewhat curios?
I really liked them, if the pacing was problem for you, it slowed down. Take note that I really enjoyed the first episode, but I really believe Occultic nine is one of the best show this season.

Jex

Eupho 4:
Teenagers resolve lack of communication problem by communicating zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Well, how else would they resolve it? One-on-one combat?

3 Gatsu Lion 4

Probably gonna pass on this one. The humor sucks and any scene that isn't slow and with the 3 girls are aggravating to get through.

duckroll

Dr Strange pretty much was anime.

That's what I said after that!

Say it ain't so, ducky! I'm halfway through and quite enjoying it, although I've been distracted by other things (exactly the same thing has happened with Jessica Jones and Daredevil season 2...)

Just stop watching Luke Cage after ep6 and pretend that it was a shorter series. Works out way better that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom