• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Top anime of all time...if not including movies (Laputa would win then) I would have to give it to Great Teacher Onizuka. Yes the anime adaption is a bit flawed compared to manga, but I still love it so.

Yeah, GTO is some good stuff... I probably should get back to watching it eventually. It was also the show that finally let me realize both JoJo's Okuyasu and Detective Conan's Takagi were voiced by Takagi Wataru, since up to then I only heard him use either his gentle or his bad boy persona exclusively.

Also, since we're doing favorite polls, I was wondering who's AnimeGAF's favorite anime character? Personally, I'd probably go for Beatrice, the golden witch due to how complex her character was and how interesting it was to have the series slowly unravel the question of just why she did what she did, but the Umineko anime never got to exploring her character all that well compared to the source material, making it probably not count... so I guess I'd settle for Kaiki solely due to the amazing character development he got in Koimonogatari, that cemented him as a way more complex and intersting character after the fairly straightforward characterization he got in Nise (and let's not forget about the time he beat Suruga at running and treated her to a meal to warn her about the devil parts collector and to repay Suruga's mom, because that was quite heartwarming in Kaiki's own way).

Then there's Eupho's Asuka, who's a likely contender for the top spot depending on how her character arc is handled in future episodes of the show.

I don't really have a favorite anime of all time because well I just have a lot of anime I consider extremely good but don't elevate them above each other as an all time favorite.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't really have a favorite anime of all time because well I just have a lot of anime I consider extremely good but don't elevate them above each other as an all time favorite.

Sounds wishy washy. You need to embrace eros.

phaze

I don't think I've asked before and I'm really interested in the diversity of possible answers in here, so what is everyone's #1, all-time favorite anime series? (not movie)

1444440906245mkjhk.gif

At this point in space and time; Mawaru Penguindrum. With hesitation, probably the only show I'd grant a 10 to.

Drifters 04

zzzzzzzzzzzz For a F/SN like story of random historic people duking it out, this sure isn't in any rush in getting to the actual duking out part.

Lostorage Incited WIXOSS
I don't know what it is about the WIXOSS series, but I really enjoy it... even if others don't.

I like that they are keeping the plot point of
the LRIG body swapping with the Selector
from the mainline series.

Now we just have to find out why everyone keeps on losing their memories when they run out of coins. So far I'm enjoying Hanna as a character and am hoping to see her and Suzuko grow closer. I just hope she doesn't accidently turn into another Hitoe. Also now that Suzuko and Chinatsu have found each other, I am hoping that we find out why Chinatsu snapped and hopefully find a way to cure of her insanity so the two become friends again, because that ending scene was painful to watch

ibyea

Banned
Yuri on Ice: 2-4
Some of the fan service can sometimes be a bit much (yeah, a repetitive statement that is true for many animes I like). Overall I have really enjoyed this show. I do appreciate the lack of melodrama and the downer parts are often times covered with self deprecating humor, and the show is just over the top all over the place in a good way.

The ice skating performance sections are wonderful. Sheesh, I am wondering whether the animator for these are sleeping at all.

Girlish Number: 2-3
It's funny, and Chitose is one cocky bastard I enjoy watching.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
At this point in space and time; Mawaru Penguindrum. With hesitation, probably the only show I'd grant a 10 to.
Can you really earnestly say that MPD is the peak of Ikuhara's creative career?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I've never been a fan of "favorite" anything, that's why I try to keep them to top 5 lists. But the anime I probably rewatch the most is hands down The Big O. It just hits all the niche things that I gush over, giant lumbering mechs, a noir soundtrack and color scheme, big dumb speeches. Just all the things I like in one kind of a mess of a show.

Edit: Also Pile Bunkers, the most underused anime weapon ever.

phaze

Can you really earnestly say that MPD is the peak of Ikuhara's creative career?

I can earnestly say that out of his output, it's easily the show of his that I enjoyed the most .So yeah, I guess.

I suppose I can't speak for Sailor Moon R since, I watched that when like four and don't remember a thing but I sincerely (and arrogantly I guess) doubt it would change my mind.

pbayne

Yuri on Ice 3-4

Still really enjoying this. One thing that probably only bothers me is during a lot of the skating scenes the characters heads get clipped out by the top of the frame.

Haikyu 4

Laughed when Hinata had to immediately put on the brakes after a spike to avoid hitting the net. Surprised he didn't twist his ankle doing that.

sasuke_91

Haikyuu!! S3 - 04

Tsukishima finally showing some emotion. Really great episode and that one quick where Shiratorizawa's setter just goes "HAA?!" was amazing :D

Favourite anime? Some people might laugh about this but for me it's probably Code Geass R2. The anime had its flaws (a lot of them), especially when it comes to character development, but that ending was just so perfect and the soundtrack really helped making it one of the most memorial endings of all time.
There's so many I consider amazing though. Steins;Gate, FMA Brotherhood, Mushishi, Clannad After Story... Picking one is hard ;_;

20279l.jpg

Xamd just barely edges out in front for me. The characters and their interactions are ridiculously well fleshed out. Nakiami is the best female character in any anime ever, and they didn't force her into a stupid relationship just to make even pairings. The main character has PARENTS. OMG it is almost bizarre seeing an anime with characters representing real, living parents who care and worry for their child and have their own lives and issues.

The world building is almost without equal too. They managed to make a world without jumping over the complexities that make reality so interesting. They have an actual religion which feels like it belongs in the world and isn't just a vehicle for the writer to talk about corruption or some other vice. The plight of the Tessik people is well fleshed out and whilst overly evocative of modern jewish/palestinan struggles, is well fleshed out enough to feel like it's own thing and not just an analogy. The political, military and spiritual sides of life are all in this constant conflict and the show is ridiculously good at expressing the beliefs of each side.

The entire thing feels like it had a real auteur, someone who didn't write the overall plot (which I will admit is more than a bit confusing) but ensured that everything else was practically perfect. It feels as if it literally has everything related to the emotions of being human. If you've watched the show before and didn't think it was that great I'd definitely tell you to watch it again. The first time people are overly concerned about trying to tie the plot together whereas on the second viewing you can just take in the character interactions and I guarantee that its superiority will shine through.

pbayne

Great Passage 3

You know its fiction when everyone in one workplace are great friends with no bitterness at all between people. Heck all even pitched in to get one guy laid.
The two male MCs in this actually remind me of Flip Flappers' a lot,, two polar opposites who are more or less forced to spend time together. Only these guys are a bit more believable rather than the weird relationship in the latter. Lol i know it has a word motif but the giant pulsating "pain" was a bit too much for my liking.

Drifters 4

Its like an unfun version of Hellsing. Meh drop. Got a big laugh out the main bad guy apparently being
Jesus
though.

Ascheroth

Is there actually any way to see what animes Amazon has included in Prime? Because honestly I can't find shit except randomly stumbling upon something or searching for what I know it has.

blurr

I don't think I've asked before and I'm really interested in the diversity of possible answers in here, so what is everyone's #1, all-time favorite anime series? (̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶i̶e̶)̶

Tale of Princess Kaguya probably

I'd probably say Haibane Renmei TV series as my favorite but it's up there with some others I guess.

Rakugo is another show and if things go well with Fune wo Amu, it might just be my favorite.

My GPU died probably due to a faulty power supply so I wasn't able to use PC for a couple of days so no anime or games :(

back now at least although missing a graphics card

I don't think I've asked before and I'm really interested in the diversity of possible answers in here, so what is everyone's #1, all-time favorite anime series? (not movie)

Haikyuu and Kuroko no Basket. Just hype sports stuff all in my veins.

One little less known sports anime is in my top3 too, its something that I saw as a kid. Loved the music and atmosphere in it. Arrow Emblem Grand Prix no Taka

TheRancor

Amano certaintly brought his SSS plagiarism game! :p

Giant Robo OST 1 - Main Title vs Bill Conti - North and South

Arrival of Giant Robo vs Maurice Jarre - Is Paris Burning? - Overture and Giant Robo in a Severe Fight vs Is Paris Burning? (The Resistance)

The Black Ball, Vogler vs Jerry Goldsmith - Masada

Rush! Issei & Yohshi!
vs Alfred Newman - Main Title - How the West Was Won

Big Fire Appears vs Bruce Broughton - Tombstone

Aside from those examples, there are various more "references" other people have identified ranging from more Goldsmith, some of Horner's Willow, Sneakers, The Pelican Brief, Zimmer's Backdraft, Broughton's Silverado, Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance, Rozsa's El Cid, Shostakovich's Symphonies 5 and 9 and probably more lol.

Though the Italian opera L'elisir D'amore - Una Furtiva Lagrima is properly credited.

I do love the soundtracks of course but it's fun to spot and point these things out.

Bonus: Episode 7 Scoring Sessions

elhav

My personal favourite anime...I'm torn between Steins;Gate and Haibane Renmei. Both are so different from one another, but are the best in their respective genres, in my opinion.

Though there are so many anime I love, it's hard not to mention some of the others:

Kino's journey
Hyouka
Oregairu
Bokurano
Mimi wo sumaseba
Eve no jikan

These are just a few of my favourites, but my list is too long. I also have a warm spot in my heart for Honey and Clover. It has way too many cheesy moments, but it's still really fun to watch, and I do love the characters and how they develop throughout the two seasons.

Narag

Amano certaintly brought his SSS plagiarism game! :p

Giant Robo OST 1 - Main Title vs Bill Conti - North and South

Arrival of Giant Robo vs Maurice Jarre - Is Paris Burning? - Overture and Giant Robo in a Severe Fight vs Is Paris Burning? (The Resistance)

The Black Ball, Vogler vs Jerry Goldsmith - Masada

Rush! Issei & Yohshi!
vs Alfred Newman - Main Title - How the West Was Won

Big Fire Appears vs Bruce Broughton - Tombstone

Aside from those examples, there are various more "references" other people have identified ranging from more Goldsmith, some of Horner's Willow, Sneakers, The Pelican Brief, Zimmer's Backdraft, Broughton's Silverado, Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance, Rozsa's El Cid, Shostakovich's Symphonies 5 and 9 and probably more lol.

Though the Italian opera L'elisir D'amore - Una Furtiva Lagrima is properly credited.

I do love the soundtracks of course but it's fun to spot and point these things out.

Bonus: Episode 7 Scoring Sessions

say it an't so!

Cornbread78

Love all these replies even from sone lurkers, keep 'em coming. Only a three or four series have multiple votes so far..

Ducky, where's yours?

Thud

I haven't watched the video yet because of my crappy internet, but man, I ended up loving the whole gag with the vice chairman's cresta getting totalled every single time he managed to get a replacement, and often as soon as he managed to do so.

Poor vice principal. Just wanted a good time with his family and cresta.

Narag

ClassicaLoid 4
This was such a weird ep since the show has this general perfunctory look to it. It was mostly presented from Schubert's POV this ep and the visuals felt slightly more sophisticated (be it how it was storyboarded, the backgrounds, or a combination) when he was given focus as opposed to the rest of the cast. I'm sure there's some sort of intentional reasoning behind it but heck if I know why. The more washed out parts likely have some thematic relevance lost on me too. It seems to diminish the more he becomes comfortable with the modern world so possibly a reflection of that. The ED is unlike the previous episodes too as it leaves Schubert's Lullaby intact (I think). Whether because it had lyrics already or as further metacommentary of his awareness of true self without the full embrace of the modern world well, again, I say heck if i know.

Narag

It is! More educated and knowledgeable folk can probably point out more. But it's still shamelessly glorious music and can be enjoyed for what they are. I should also continue my Giant Robo rewatch.

Thankfully I'm already sufficiently disillusioned by years of Yoko Kanno posts that I was able to avoid taking things too hard!

TheRancor

Thankfully I'm already sufficiently disillusioned by years of Yoko Kanno posts that I was able to avoid taking things too hard!
Amano and Kanno are probably some of the bigger offenders. To my knowledge, other japanese composers I know of aren't nearly as shameless when it comes to this subject.

Edit: I am sad that Amano is stuck in Sagisu hell though!

Sölf

An "all time favorite anime" listing and no mention of Baccano? Y'all slippin'.

I am currently reading the novels. After seeing the anime first, the novels are so "normal" in comparison, since the story is not jumbled all over the place. I wonder if Baccano! would have been so good even without the jumbled story in the anime.

Haikyuu!! Ep 4

Hey, that was hype!

I thought the previous two episodes were a bit meh. I mean, still competent but in comparison with the past seasons they were just 'normal'. But this episode shows how thrilling can be, with a moving climax and building up the characterization of one of the characters of the team that until now was more in the background. How finally after two seasons and three episodes Tsuki really wants to win and feel the match was a great moment.

However it wasn't perfect, I noticed how the series felt the necessity of explaining THREE TIME the play, one in Tsuki's mind and through his actions, another in other players and another repeated again by the audience in the seats. I suppose that's a shonen for you.

The Great Passage 3

It's funny, with the first episode I didn't know what to expect of this series, was it really about some guys editing a dictionary? but with this third episode it's much more clear, in fact it seems much more topical development too, with the romance angle.
We have the typical male protagonist (that's it, for an anime), shy, asocial, virgin, whose has the interesting contrast of having a passion for words and a job about dictionaries but...

...in real life can't find words to express himself when it really matters (like with her) or in more social situations like a dinner or a party. And at the same time he has a sidekick who has all he needs in terms of social ability he is lacking. You can see how the story could evolve from this point easily: "Will our socially awkward protagonist learn from the riches of his new job and from his new friend enough to change and woo the pretty woman?"

Sölf

I just finished the 10 Pokemon Generations episodes. Those were actually quite cool. Especially 9 and 10. I would love a Pokemon series that's more mature/darker/serious than the current anime. Or that would simply take place in the Pokemon universe but do something completely different, like the police investigation in EP 2.

Ascheroth

Sölf;222023051 said:
I just finished the 10 Pokemon Generations episodes. Those were actually quite cool. Especially 9 and 10. I would love a Pokemon series that's more mature/darker/serious than the current anime. Or that would simply take place in the Pokemon universe but do something completely different, like the police investigation in EP 2.

The Pokemon Adventures manga should get an anime :/

Chase17

Haikyuu 04
Best episode of the season so far. Chills. And that was only
set 2
. It was great to see Tsukki have a great moment and show some emotion.

There is not going to be a "mature" Pokemon anime except for miniseries aimed at exploiting nostalgia. A Pokemon anime that airs on daytime Japanese television is of necessity going to be aimed at kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom