• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
So according to some tweets by a disgruntled animator (warning: ads on the linked page are NSFW), who worked as an in-betweener for P.A. Works for three years, P.A. Works requires in-between animators to pay the studio 6000 yen (~$60) per month to rent a desk in the studio building for them to use to animate, on top of paying the usual very low wages. Sounds like a pretty shady practice.

So according to some tweets by a disgruntled animator (warning: ads on the linked page are NSFW), who worked as an in-betweener for P.A. Works for three years, P.A. Works requires in-between animators to pay the studio 6000 yen (~$60) per month to rent a desk in the studio building for them to use to animate, on top of paying the usual very low wages. Sounds like a pretty shady practice.

This fucking industry. One can only hope that the profits increase and studios will then also use those to improve their workplace ethics.

BluWacky

One of the comments on that thread suggests it's what I'd have guessed at first glance - PA Works employs such people as freelancers who can work for anyone else (in theory) if they choose. By working in the PA Works building, they have to pay to rent the space to work because they're not employees of the company.

A similar system works in this country for barbers (where they "rent the chair") and in many other creative industries.

While I can't deny it's horrific (the tweets suggest that they think PA Works uses this as a method of weeding out untalented animators who don't get promoted into full-time positions), I don't think it's massively out of the ordinary, even internationally.

Rather appears like a subtle way of kicking people out of the industry.

She got a desk for three years for free but couldn't make the jump to a key animator.

One of the comments on that thread suggests it's what I'd have guessed at first glance - PA Works employs such people as freelancers who can work for anyone else (in theory) if they choose. By working in the PA Works building, they have to pay to rent the space to work because they're not employees of the company.

A similar system works in this country for barbers (where they "rent the chair") and in many other creative industries.

While I can't deny it's horrific (the tweets suggest that they think PA Works uses this as a method of weeding out untalented animators who don't get promoted into full-time positions), I don't think it's massively out of the ordinary, even internationally.

Rather appears like a subtle way of kicking people out of the industry.

She got a desk for three years for free but couldn't make the jump to a key animator.

Yeah, from her tweets I couldn't tell if this was standard practice at P.A. Works or if this is something they only do for specific people who they want gone. I know Japanese companies in general tend to try to force people to quit through making life difficult for them rather than outright firing them, since I understand Japanese laws can make it difficult for companies to fire employees. If that's the case, that's perhaps a bit better than having the general policy of charging in-betweeners to work there, though it raises other problems of what happens when cultural norms create an environment of passive-aggressiveness.

For someone who wants to watch the Madoka series, what are the best ones to watch? There's stuff like Mahou Shoujo, Lyrical Nanoha, etc. but I just want to watch the really good ones.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sound! Euphonium Episode 2, Episode 5:

Well, with the dumbass drama behind us we can finally focus on the actual competition as the day of the Regionals have arrived. We go through the predictable cornucopia of emotions and anxiety that precludes such events as they harden the resolve to win and go all the way. Yea, this is all basic sports narrative stuff but it is expected fairly well and we get to actually see the performance.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ToLOVEるwwww indeed.

Yeah slave labor sucks. Makes me feel bad about watching anime more than I already do.
For someone who wants to watch the Madoka series, what are the best ones to watch? There's stuff like Mahou Shoujo, Lyrical Nanoha, etc. but I just want to watch the really good ones.

Watch the original series, then watch the third movie, or not, depending on who you ask. Other stuff is not worthwhile. Lyrical Nanoha has nothing to do with Madoka. "Mahou Shoujo" means "Magical Girl" and is a genre, like Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura are both examples of "Mahou Shoujo".

Qurupeke

Euphonium S2 5
kJxthnV.png
Bsy3k7s.png
Wow, we got the season finale on episode 5. I can't believe how good the whole performance was. Breathtaking, and that's an understatement. I can't believe they managed to reproduce the feelings I had in S1's finale, but they did it. The happiness, the anxiety, the satisfaction. Actually maybe they were more intense this time, this was a very exciting episode.

Fantastic episode.

Nanoha has nothing to do with the Madoka series.

If you want to watch Nanoha, you can watch the original TV series plus its sequel A's. You could also watch the two movies instead, but the TV series is generally considered superior.

For the Madoka series, watch the TV series. The first two movies are just re-tellings of that, but there is a 3rd movie title Rebellion that continues the story (I personally don't recommend watching this as I vehemently despise it).

For other magical girl shows, there's CardCaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon, both critically acclaimed shows.

phaze

I am free now.

The verdict ? ;p Worth slogging through the beginnings ?

Also, doing ~50 worth of episodes in ~one week gotta be unhealthy.

TO BE HERO 05

Uh, I hope they cool it off with sexual innuendo involving the daughter, was only two short scenes this ep but still.

Watch the original series, then watch the third movie, or not, depending on who you ask. Other stuff is not worthwhile. Lyrical Nanoha has nothing to do with Madoka. "Mahou Shoujo" means "Magical Girl" and is a genre, like Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura are both examples of "Mahou Shoujo".

Nanoha has nothing to do with the Madoka series.

If you want to watch Nanoha, you can watch the original TV series plus its sequel A's. You could also watch the two movies instead, but the TV series is generally considered superior.

For the Madoka series, watch the TV series. The first two movies are just re-tellings of that, but there is a 3rd movie title Rebellion that continues the story (I personally don't recommend watching this as I vehemently despise it).

For other magical girl shows, there's CardCaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon, both critically acclaimed shows.

Thank you for the suggestions and clarifications. This really helps. Can't wait to get into this, I've put it off for far too long.

I think I'll just watch the original Puella Magi and go to the 3rd movie with lowered expectations.

Haly

The key phrase is "Homura did nothing wrong".

Remember it.

Jex

The verdict ? ;p Worth slogging through the beginnings ?

Also, doing ~50 worth of episodes in ~one week gotta be unhealthy.

What are you, some kind of Doctor?

Anyway, the the answer to your 2nd question is yes, definitely worth it. It's not a work I can recommend without reservation, but it is one I would whole heartedly compel people to experience.

Haly

The funniest part about the new CCS series is that they all have smartphones and no one comments on it. Everyone was transported to the new millenium with nary a blink.

Jex

Until the super important announcement during the Fafner event at the end of this year.

Well, that wouldn't surprise me. I feel like Exodus does not 'conclude' the series, so much as 'the credits roll so I guess we're done here?' It felt like I was missing about 3 episodes worth of epilogue.

Which is to say, I felt like the main beats of the story wrapped up, but there are dozens of characters who did not get a 'conclusion'.

The funniest part about the new CCS series is that they all have smartphones and no one comments on it. Everyone was transported to the new millenium with nary a blink.

Just think about a long-running series like Detective Conan, where the characters stay perpetually the same age but technology advances around them.

Until the super important announcement during the Fafner event at the end of this year.

They're making one of those? I can't imagine another Fafner anime coming out until Yamato 2202 is complete.

Syrinx

As a big CCS fan, I know nothing about the new manga other than that it exists, and that now they have smartphones. Is it any good or is it a cheap nostalgia cash-in?

An interesting article over at ANN about LGBT representation in anime. Currently collecting my thoughts on this. I was happy to see that the author is transgender and gay.

There's a very simple answer to this question, but it might not answer much all by itself. Yuri!!! on Ice stars two complex characters of the same gender who harbor a directly sexual and romantic attraction to each other, in a relatable story that does not fetishize or exoticize these feelings.

I'm watching the series, but I'm not sure if I would refer to the characters as complex nor say there isn't fetishization going on.

Man, after discovering the newer Wixoss manga Selector Stirred Wixoss I'd way rather have that than the current anime.
That plot is crazy,
MC is a clingy, needy, possessive little sister, 4 of her club friends and her older sister all become Selectors and have bad wishes granted against her at the same exact time.
The older sister who's wish was to basically get away from her little sister and do her own thing then ends up her LIRG.

I'm watching the series, but I'm not sure if I would refer to the characters as complex nor say there isn't fertilization going on.

I wasnt led to believe that Yuri felt canonically sexually attracted to Victor (or enough that Yuri on Ice would championed as being the best representation of same sex relations in anime), unless Im watching a different Yuri on Ice. I also hate that ship alot. Yurio gets no love.

pbayne

As a big CCS fan, I know nothing about the new manga other than that it exists, and that now they have smartphones. Is it any good or is it a cheap nostalgia cash-in?

Only 5 chapters in so ...eh??? It's just more of the same CCS really. New wand, new cards but same old schick.

Ghost Hound 6

I know they want to create suspense and tension and go at a slower pace but man when its not working it can lead to some really boring stretches of time.
Give the psychiatrist more scenes. There's a great baseline of tension whenever he's on screen.

Jarmel

Banned
It's interesting in regards to a new Fafner sequel as the staff seem like they're done done with the franchise. I think Noto or someone on Twitter was thanking the fans. On the story side it does feel somewhat incomplete, as if they have a final movie missing. That said, after reflection I can see the ending of Exodus being the end of the franchise as it would somewhat mirror what happens in the Bible.

Now on the production/financial side, the show sold fairly well (I think 8k+ average) so it's not like this is some money loss for the production committee. However almost everyone at Xebec is fucking booked for likely the next year and a half. Habara is working on 2202 and I doubt they would want to switch directors even though he wasn't chief. Then a good chunk of the other staff is working on FMP which I expect to be split-cour so that'll be done early-mid 2018. Xebec is literally producing two mechanical animation shows next year, they just don't have the people to do a third production on top of that. I mean unless they have the To-Love Ru team do it.

Nanbaka Episode 5
CwRxg_qUMAA_nJQ.jpg:small

The people who make this anime love to have the characters with sparkles all the time. Also I love how refreshingly colorful this is to many other anime airing.

The ost continues to be one of my favorites this season. It worked perfectly for the action scenes as well as the card game scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom