• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard official subtitles on sites like Crunchyroll and Daisuki are getting worse too, with more frequent typos and mistranslations; is there any truth to that?

Yes some of them could have been avoided with a proofread, though the utapri one is an embarrassing one :( '

CuQuvhjXYAEePss.jpg
CvXv4EeXEAAHgo-.jpg

Cu0zJ1TW8AAjlt7.jpg

Narag

I don't think dogpiling him is going to change his mind or how he posts despite the specious claims. Others have made cases for or against the show and even with 3gatsu, euphonium, etc airing, the season strikes me as good but not great six weeks in. It's not like there's an "it" show like there was when something like Ping Pong was airing and looking down at all challengers from such a great height.

Articalys

Considering how much I semi-follow the industry, I feel like I should have been able to derive that answer if I'd thought about it more, but it's nice to have it laid out in the article like that so thanks for the link.

So it's a matter of the same production crunch that the shows themselves are going through amplifying onto the western side of operations. I actually hadn't realized the sheer scale of CR's lineup currently, though the Funiroll deal certainly aggrivated things, since as a result nearly every show now has a simulcast on Crunchyroll, compared to the 1/2 to 2/3 they had before.

This makes me wonder if the delayed shows like the TBS stuff is actually a good thing, since it gives more breathing room to whoever's working on that show to proofread and edit, or if it makes no real difference since their other workload might be swamped anyway. If more shows had a half-day delay would that improve things even slightly? Not that that would ever actually happen, considering how much people freaked out when Kill la Kill started having all those production delays near the end of its run and it wasn't available for them RIGHT FREAKING NOW.

Wonder when it'll all break...

duckroll

What bugged me about that Answerman question is that it's not even correct. Crunchyroll fixes subtiltes or revises them all the time. I know many people have noticed. Errors that are reported tend to get corrected if they're very obvious errors, and missing subs get added.

Quasar

Considering how much I semi-follow the industry, I feel like I should have been able to derive that answer if I'd thought about it more, but it's nice to have it laid out in the article like that so thanks for the link.

So it's a matter of the same production crunch that the shows themselves are going through amplifying onto the western side of operations. I actually hadn't realized the sheer scale of CR's lineup currently, though the Funiroll deal certainly aggrivated things, since as a result nearly every show now has a simulcast on Crunchyroll, compared to the 1/2 to 2/3 they had before.

This makes me wonder if the delayed shows like the TBS stuff is actually a good thing, since it gives more breathing room to whoever's working on that show to proofread and edit, or if it makes no real difference since their other workload might be swamped anyway. If more shows had a half-day delay would that improve things even slightly? Not that that would ever actually happen, considering how much people freaked out when stuff happened like Kill la Kill having all those production delays near the end of its run.

Wonder when it'll all break...

I guess what kind of surprises/annoys me is that they don't just replace the simulcast version with the disc version once done. That would fix both translation and animation issues. Of course I don't buy much anime at all on disc so of course I'd say that. I guess it would require CR to get a separate license for the disc version.

Narag

What bugged me about that Answerman question is that it's not even correct. Crunchyroll fixes subtiltes or revises them all the time. I know many people have noticed. Errors that are reported tend to get corrected if they're very obvious errors, and missing subs get added.

When I saw the article being passed around, I was quick to question the practices listed since there's a place to submit sub issues (iirc) hidden under the video issues link and I know for a fact they were posting Thunderbolt Fantasy without the translated poems at times but they'd be there a few hours later.

Jarmel

Banned
Nadesico-fin
This is a hard show to wrap my head around as I have conflicting feelings not only on certain aspects of the show but certain parts as well. So this is an anime released back in 1996 (20 years ago holy shit I'm old) and directed by Tatsuo Sato at Xebec. I've personally never really liked any of Sato's shows as a whole despite enjoying certain aspects of each of his works. For example the music in Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne is top notch and the characters are extremely likable for the most part. Another show would be Bodacious Space Pirates where I theoretically liked the concept and some of the characters. However for one reason or another, I've never thought much of his shows as they would fall apart for one reason or another such as the writing in Lagrange's case or pacing in Bodacious Space Pirates' case. Nadesico is probably the first show I've seen from him that I thought was well put-together as a whole and I've really enjoyed. Now that said, I definitely think it's flawed especially in the first half.
I found the first half of Nadesico to be fairly mediocre on almost all fronts besides a few good storyboarded shots. It jumps all over the place without being able to settle down with the interesting ideas and moments it has. For example after one character death early on, the tone would whiplash all over the place and when the main character is mourning his death, a girl falls straight on top of him with his face squished by her boobs. That sort of defusing humor seems to be a staple of the show but it doesn't always work as well as it wants to. In fact that's something that sort of bothered me throughout both cours but it was more of an issue in the first half. I understand that it's not a serious show, in regards to atmosphere, but the direction felt sloppy in its execution. On that note I didn't really find the show to be particularly funny despite all the jokes and humor but rather odd. It almost comes across as trying too hard to defuse the seriousness. The direction being so largely flat also made it hard occasionally to tell if something serious had actually happened. The scripts would brush over certain events in almost cavalier way. One example is about humans being on the verge of extinction due to the aliens landing on Earth but it's not really treated like an extinction event. It's almost like certain events are detached from their naturally following consequences. Another example would be in episode 13 where half the goddamn city is literally on fire and there are people sitting in a restaurant waiting to be served. The show does get better at juggling those two disparate tones but it's kind of rough early on.
Another problem is that a certain number of episodes in the first half just aren't interesting on any front. For example, the mission to tank out the gigantic alien tank in Russia (ep 11) or the one where Akito gets jealous and later stranded in his mech (ep 8), bored me to tears. The initial episodes when they return to Earth almost made me drop the show. There's also some episodes where I thought was just flat out bad such as episode 7 where the admiral sacrifices his life so the Nadesico can make the jump. The problem with this episode is that there's virtually no build-up and it concludes way too cleanly. 'Welp we learned his backstory, guess it's time for him to go'. The episode is too abrupt and segmented to have any real emotional impact. That happens a couple of times later where a character will be elaborated on and given prominence in one episode and it'll be wrapped up just as quickly, Admiral Munetake being the prominent one. It's not really an issue though in the second half due to that focus mostly being on characters I like.
Where I think the show comes into its own is around episode 12 and continues through the second half. It's one of those rare cases of watching an anime improve right before your eyes. With the revelation about the Jovians, the show becomes vastly more interesting on almost all fronts. I thought Akito's reaction was really intriguing as most characters would take the pacifist bullshit route or have a mental breakdown. Instead he went the opposite direction and becomes colder. That character direction reminded me of Gundam Zeta with Kamille, which I love. The fact that
the aliens were human and thus knew better, pissed him off more than if they were just generic bug monsters
. It's darker character development than people learning the usual trite 'war is bad' stuff we see in almost all military shows and felt more realistic.
svNi0ST.jpg
e4AkJcR.jpg

Oh hey is this an Ikuhara show?
I would almost rather slice my own balls than give credit to Aikawa but he actually did a good job writing this. This is the first time where I felt that he used time loop/paradox/nonsense to good effect. I appreciated that they tried to base that on real world science too even if it's not hard scifi. I also thought the major twist about the Jovians tied really well into some of the central themes of the show and while coming out of left-field to an extent, it didn't feel like bullshit due to how they fleshed it out afterwards. Nadesico throws so many concepts against the wall such as corporate welfare, privatization of the military, and war profitability and tries to examine all of that. It does a decent enough job of tying them into certain aspects of the show, although I wish they had gone a bit further with some of it or just delved more into the consequences. There's not many anime that go into topics like this, it's more of a thing with science fiction works in general rather than the ones seen in anime, and it reminds me of The Forever War. Aikawa is a fan of corporate espionage, unfortunately as seen in Eureka Seven AO, so I guess this does fit him fairly well. Surprisingly though, the writing as a whole was much tighter than I expected as they really used the time effect stuff for great effect near the end.
yTLarag.jpg

Yep green haired girls are still top-tier.
Nadesico has a fairly large ensemble cast and does a decent enough job of juggling most of them. There was one big misfire with the characters, Megumi, as her love triangle with Akito and Yurika fell flat. Well actually most of the harem aspects in the show fell flat as there wasn't any serious likelihood that Akito was going to choose a girl other than Yurika and some of the girls seemed to have randomly fallen in love with Akito (Erina Won???). The romance angle was probably the worst part of the show to be frank as Yurika was way too needy early on. I mean wayyyy too needy. Thank god she tones it down later on and also does captain-ish things so she's not just the love interest. I grew to like most of the characters although a few obviously got left on the backburners such as Jun and Megumi in the second half. Ruri is undeniably the best though. I watched this show for her alone.
Let me just talk about episode 20 for a bit. This is one of the best scifi military episodes I've ever seen. So this episode was essentially a cat and mouse chase with the Jovians having a new teleporting weapon that they try and use on the Nadesico but can only do so in a certain range. This leads to the Nadesico having to run and being chased by their counterparts in the Jovian military. What happens is an episode filled with strategies, counter-strategies, position placements, manly sacrifices, and tension-filled moments.
This is something I would have expected out of one of the better episodes of Yamato 2199 but also due to how off-the-wall the thinking is by the characters, this is an episode unique to Nadesico. It's such a well thought out episode written by Mitsuyasu Sakai, that I'm curious if he has a military background. Not to mention the storyboarding and animation were pretty good as well. This was by far the best episode out of the 26. However it's not just episode 20 but other ones such as the direction in episode 21 that impressed me due to the use of non-chronological storytelling to depict the mentality of the characters and time jumps. There's also earlier episodic material I enjoyed such as episode 12 and 18, partially due to the heavy Ruri focus.
I almost forgot to talk about the production values. The show isn't exactly a looker as the character models vary too often, not to mention they aren't particularly great to begin with, and there isn't a lot of high-level animation. However certain sequences in the show and shots of the Nadesico do look nice. It's the quieter moments where the art direction gets a chance to shine. Besides, the show looks better than some of Xebec's later productions such as Heroic Age or Fafner: Dead Aggressor (OG). The mechs are 2D which is nice even if they don't move much. There were some good mecha animation cuts in the initial episode and in the opening but that's pretty much. I don't have a strong opinion on the soundtrack either way although I did like one of the tracks in the final episode.
Uq4j0i8.jpg

smug girls are best girls
Honestly I'm not a fan of Go Nagai shows from back in the day so the incorporation of that style into the show didn't exactly endear me, but it was well utilized and they had fun with the concept such as in episode 14. Now that I think about it, it's one of the few anime to use an 'in-show' to such heavy effect. I have a much better opinion of the show thanks to the strong second half as there were times in the first half I was extremely close to dropping it out of boredom. That said, due to some of the later twists I probably would enjoy the first half more now. I have a hard time imagining something like this being made today. It's definitely quirky, more so than I would like at some points, but it has a heart too. It's obvious the staff were lovers of old mecha anime and wanted to put their own spin on it.

duckroll

I guess what kind of surprises/annoys me is that they don't just replace the simulcast version with the disc version once done. That would fix both translation and animation issues. Of course I don't buy much anime at all on disc so of course I'd say that.

Wait, it surprises you that a platform with streaming rights to the TV version of a program does not subsequently update their content with the retail version of that content released by a completely different company which purchased separate publishing rights?

I don't think dogpiling him is going to change his mind or how he posts despite the specious claims. Others have made cases for or against the show and even with 3gatsu, euphonium, etc airing, the season strikes me as good but not great six weeks in. It's not like there's an "it" show like there was when something like Ping Pong was airing and looking down at all challengers from such a great height.

I wasn't intending to change his mind or how he posts, nor was I doing it for the sake of dogpiling. I was trying to offer him some perspective to give him a way to better defend the shows he loves so much rather than just continuously re-iterating that he likes them.

Yeah, Crunchyroll definitely fixes errors. I'm not sure why Justin doesn't know that.

Quasar

Wait, it surprises you that a platform with streaming rights to the TV version of a program does not subsequently update their content with the retail version of that content released by a completely different company which purchased separate publishing rights?

Well in those cases sure. I'd forgotten that happens.I guess that was one good thing about Funimation and Animelab. They in the past at least had disc versions as they have dubs. The whole simuldub thing of course makes it no longer true.

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 6 – Quest for the Golden Egg
CwjE4Z5W8AA5zKb.jpg:small

Great episode
cheval wanting to fix the egg for Lute was the greatest surprise

Lute needs his origin story told.

-Minsc-

Considering the peanut shells we pay for an annual Crunchyroll subscription we should be thankful subtitles get fixed at all.

Articalys

When I saw the article being passed around, I was quick to question the practices listed since there's a place to submit sub issues (iirc) hidden under the video issues link and I know for a fact they were posting Thunderbolt Fantasy without the translated poems at times but they'd be there a few hours later.

Yeah, Crunchyroll definitely fixes errors. I'm not sure why Justin doesn't know that.
So... what should I take away from that article then? Just that production issues mean inital scripts are bugged but they do generally get fixed more often than not later?

jgminto

Not absurd at all, I'm completly serious. Occultic hits every right notes for me and is amazing in every way. The only show that comes close this season to O;9 is Haikyu and I'll stand by my opinion every week.
I get that it's your favourite show so far this season and that's cool but calling it the best show of the season at this point makes no sense. My favourite this season is probably either Yuri on Ice or 3-Gatsu no Lion but both of those productions have still had some flaws and missteps as we approach the halfway point of the season. Do you seriously see zero faults or potential problems with Occultic;Nine at this point to be called the show of the season and I assume show of the year judging by how much you rep it? What if the eventual mystery ends up being a total flop or the production falls apart later in the season? Calling it your favourite is totally fine but use some critical thinking.

So... what should I take away from that article then? Just that production issues mean inital scripts are bugged but they do generally get fixed more often than not later?

I guess it would be that, much like anime getting fixed after the fact for Bluray/DVD release, Crunchy does try and fix the more egregious errors. That's always been an issue for me with Answerman though. I can never be sure how much of it is him talking out his ass and how much of it is truly a highly informed and well thought out opinion.

Just T

Oh, damn, my bad. That's ur bro, right? When's he back?
It's cool, just a fellow "T", and no clue when he'll be back.

Izetta: 3

Wow, Izetta settled things pretty quickly but she just put a big target on her back and it's only a matter of time before she overdoes it.

ClassicaLoid Episode 5

This episode had the second most vicious penguin attack I've seen all day.

The other one didn't have a big one dressed up tho.

blurr

The Great Passage 04

I saw this a couple of days ago, just didn't make a post until now.

This episode is pushing the characters and narrative forward than dabbling on its "words" theme but there's no concrete point to be made yet. Although there was a scene with Nishioka ridiculing Majime over his eccentric personality and his usual ramblings on his job, it had me thinking why does he even work there again? was it mentioned, I seem to have forgotten or maybe it is something we will learn eventually but the question reverberates now more than ever to a point that I was hoping they reiterate his reasons if it was ever mentioned. This is with respect to the effort he put in to save the very thing he was fed up of: Dictionary making. Quite a tsundere we have here.

Laughed out loud when Majime thought the old lady has a vision problem when she was trying to wink.

Character animation was noticeably underwhelming which I believed was a strong point of this show. I hope it's back on track in the next episode.

Oh and I pretty much had the impression and just confirmed, Nishioka is voiced by Kamiya Hiroshi, very nice to hear him in a low key drama, he fits in well with Nishioka.

Buddy Complex (End)

Bizon is probably one of the worst mecha rival/villains I've recently seen, jeez. Went from reasonably affable pilot on the other side to crazy psychotic stalker so quickly I'm not even sure. Aside from that, it was pretty short and pacing just tried to resolve anything in the last few episodes. Lot of side characters really not developed as much as I would have liked, and the time travel mechanics didn't even seem consistent either. Overall, still had fun with it, and wish it had gotten more episodes.

Articalys

Also, while I understand that anitwitter impressions are not an infallible gold standard when it comes to translation accuracy, the comments from that Answerman article contained this post which led to this post which has me worried that a lot of this stuff might still remain unfixed. And also these links that make me hesitant to watch the Bandai DVDs I have for Crest/Banner. Are those legit compaints about the translation quality for that series?

Jex

I really do wonder if the anime industry is approaching the point where it becomes unsustainable and the whole thing collapses. Not only are there increasingly greater numbers of delays and production collapses seen in TV anime, but I'm noticing more and more people from the industry speaking up on Twitter and other places about how the industry is simply being asked to make more anime than it can handle. The latest is French animator Thomas Romain, employed at Satelight, in a series of tweets prompted by Long Riders' continued delays:

Will anime die not because too few people wanted it, but because too many people did?

I doubt that the entire industry would collapse but I can definitely see a scaling back of the number of new shows. If you look at the number of new shows produced every year, it kind of exploded around the 2000's, with the number of news shows produced growing rapidly, before shrinking shrinking back to an earlier size in 2010. I would imagine a similar contraction would be a likely consequence this time.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So children who chase lost voices is currently playing on toonami right now just to let y'all know

Quasar

Poco's Udon World 5 - Another adoreable episode. Am curious to finally see someone learn Pocos secret. And I guess we're now about to get some plot that I assume leads to him quiting his job and reopening the Udon place.

Great Passage 4 - Shit goes down. That plan is really not going to bite anyone in the ass is it? Man that date was awkward though.

Am loving this. Finding it remarkable that we'd get two mature shows in this and rakugo in one year.

Tiger Mask W 6
I can't come up with anything positive to say about this episode, everything that could of gone wrong did. The art went to a new level of trash, the story line was boring and stupid and those goddamn voice actors for the idols couldn't act for shit and throughout 90%+ of their dialogue had deeper voices then the some of wrestlers (making me question throughout the whole damn episodes if they were supposed to be cross dressing or not, only when they sang did I realize they were female). Next weeks episode can't be any worse...I pray not at least.

I doubt that the entire industry would collapse but I can definitely see a scaling back of the number of new shows. If you look at the number of new shows produced every year, it kind of exploded around the 2000's, with the number of news shows produced growing rapidly, before shrinking shrinking back to an earlier size in 2010. I would imagine a similar contraction would be a likely consequence this time.

I think practically what is quite possible is that the industry will shift away from broadcast TV towards other means of distribution: films, theatrical OVA series, and batch online streaming. There are hints of this happening right now as franchises such as Sword Art Online, Mahouka, and No Game No Life move from TV to film, series such as Yamato and Gundam the Origin continue to be theatrically distributed, and streaming services such as Netflix and Crunchyroll get more involved in directly funding and producing anime. That'll be a way the constant rush to get episodes ready for air can be lessened without totally killing off the industry.

Nephtis

Dragon Ball Super - 65

This whole damn episode kept me asking a question. And then the preview for the next one answered it. And now I must wait. D:

Exalted

You can watch the latest episodes of Gundam IBO on Daisuki, don't even need an account. Also have plenty of subtitle options.

Thud

Oh my god

Goku patting girl's crotches to confirm they're ladies is fucking hilarious. I didn't remember how perverted this show was

In super there's also this episode where goku's ki is messed up. So instant transmission takes him to Bulma's room.

Then he makes the comment that her boobs are saggy.

3-lion 05

Nice to finally see what Rei's family history. His adopted family situation isn't as terrible as I thought it'd be. Quite frankly it wasn't bad at all if you ask me.

Long Riders 04

Ami being horrible with money and planning on living on practically nothing just to support her hobby, ahh just like me when I was a college student like her. She has better part time job than I did though. I honestly don't see the need for her to have two bikes though as broke as she is.

lostorage incited wixoss 05

Chi is a bitch yo.

blurr

Iron Blooded Orphans S2 06

Sketchy reason for the war not only interms of narrative but it seems the characters themselves are unsure.

How much longer can Takaki tolerate remaining disconnected from their leader and now he even begins trusting the new guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom