• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Holy shit, I'm dying here..

tumblr_mx8ngfk6kP1slqs8lo1_500.gif

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Keijo - 05

Never imagined I'd see an ass "growl". And that hip vibration technique was super lewd. :lol

BluWacky

trilloboefnos1.png

- [18:29] Good oboe trill animation too! I don't play oboe so I can't speak for the accuracy of her fingerings after the trill, but they seemed alright judging by my orchestration book. The hand animation just looks so realistic too. They really nailed the feel of the movement of the hands.

The oboe fingerings are correct, even for the relevant pitches (she's trilling G to A then going down the scale; the piece seems to be in G major). I think she's playing a thumbplate oboe rather than the conservatoire models that are more popular in the US but I'm not completely confident on conservatoire fingerings so may be wrong.

However, it's worth noting in the interests of slightly over-anal musicianship that the flute trill shortly before that doesn't look right to me. The trill is from a C to a D in the middle octave with piccolo doubling an octave higher. The flautist on the right hand side of the shot is moving three fingers on their right hand to do so and possibly their index finger as well although it's out of shot. Technically that would be correct to move from a C to a D (C is index finger left hand + little finger right hand, D is almost the complete inverse, every other finger down and those ones off). However, it's not the correct fingering for a C-D trill; there's a trill key next to the right hand index finger which is used instead, particularly at that speed as the C-D movement is quite clumsy.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is now concert band gaf.

I can man the triangle.

Eumi

Shiho is kinda letting this show down for me. Like, I get that the joke is that she's terrible but you still need to watch this awful evil person interact with the rest of the cast who are fantastic. She doesn't bounce of anyone particularly well unless she's being evil, but even then I just feel bad for whoever she's a bitch to and frustrated that the others don't say anything to her.

Every character is made worse by their association with and refusal to call out this bully. I mean, this isn't even a serious show but it's really pissing me off.

Whenever she's not on screen though this is golden. Probably more into the ships of these guys than I was of the original cast.

Clov

I just read your impressions of Euphonium, Thoraxes; excellent work! Euphonium really has a lot of detail in it, much of which flies right by me. It's great that you're able to catch on to those, and it's always fun to read.

The original Dragon Ball is so fucking different early on from DBZ and even later dragon ball seasons you gotta wonder just how much of a plan the creator had to go to DBZ. I mean yeah, transforming into monkeys, kamehameha, etc...

But back then nobody could fly around and shit. Then DBZ even in tournaments you have all of this shit. One thing is for sure though, this is light hearted and fun which I was missing. MA CHILDHOOD

phaze

you gotta wonder just how much of a plan the creator had to go to DBZ.

Absolutely zero would be my guess.

But back then nobody could fly around and shit. Then DBZ even in tournaments you have all of this shit. One thing is for sure though, this is light hearted and fun which I was missing. MA CHILDHOOD

Piccolo arc is quite heavy if my memory serves me.

I guess the funniest aspect of this is how shafted Yamcha and Tien became. From threats and formidable foes to completely fucking useless gag characters who maybe could handle some underlings.

Tien at least was a bit more useful than Yamcha. But Yamcha went from major secondary character to a joke lol

Dragonball was the best part, Yamcha was actually relevant and able to do stuff and everyone was actually even matched.

Only good parts of DBZ is like future trunks stuff and Goten Trunks arc

imo one of the best parts of Super is incorporating weak sauce characters into the plot along with the Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Beerus, etc etc

like Goku had to go back to Master Roshi and ask him how to do the Mafuba. And Pilafs gang is part of the main group.

Absolutely zero would be my guess.

I think I read in an article some comments made by Toriyama, plus speculation, concerning how the Cell saga played out. Assuming that was his mind set throughout the entire series, I doubt Toriyama ever gave where he was going much thought. I want to even say he's gone on record as saying he never thought more than one chapter ahead. I mean, I think the world of Toriyama, but it seems like he was something akin to an 'idiot savant' with Dragon Ball seeing as none of this other works took off and he was just driving by the seat of his pants from beginning to end.

Also:
Flip Flappers Episode 5:
This was a solid episode, lots of creepy atmosphere, solid art, crazy fights-- but, I mean, I feel like that's all the show is: Atmosphere. It's a new aesthetic every time in an almost anthology kind of way. Trouble is I don't feel like there's enough narrative weight to really entice me to come back week to week. I do think it's a good watch for animation buffs though, the frequent changes in atmosphere through Pure Illusion are definitely eye catching week to week.

Keijo Episode 5:
This gets crazier and crazier. I'm sure someone will judge me, but I'm almost positive I'll be buying this on DVD/BluRay if it manages a physical release. I'm having that much fun with it, and it's easily my favorite of the season (Do not read best.)

Drifters Episode 5:
This was better than last episode, although the comedy is still painful. It's one of two jokes, either something that requires some historical knowledge of the characters or jokes where we randomly insert the word boob into parts of words our characters don't remember. It's so dull and poor that it feels even more awful when the comedy just goes on and on completely destroying whatever grueling mood has been set. I did like the "dirty" fighting style in this episode though. Gross, but fun.

Kiss Him, Not Me Episode 5:
This episode changed my opinion on the show. previously I thought it was fine, even enjoyable, but problematic in how it didn't seem to be addressing the underlying issues about beauty, physical vs internal, etc. This episode really brought that front and center, and while I'm dubious it'll ever really trudge all the way through that topic, it was awesome seeing at least one of the guys actually go through character development.

At this point my Wife and I are thinking we'll drop 6-7 shows this next week: Monster Hunter, Cheating Craft, Gakuen Handsome (She's going to keep watching though.) Occultic;Nine (We realized we just don't actually care about any of the characters.) Drifters, Flip Flappers, and March Comes in Like a Lion (Would've preferred a slightly more 'depressing' show than it really seems to be.)

Thud

imo one of the best parts of Super is incorporating weak sauce characters into the plot along with the Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Beerus, etc etc

like Goku had to go back to Master Roshi and ask him how to do the Mafuba. And Pilafs gang is part of the main group.

Gohan with his PhD in ice cream flavors. Husband Vegeta, farmer Goku, babysitter Piccolo.

I'd be careful when it comes to talking about Toriyama and Dragon Ball. Theres numerous things that people just accept as true because they've been repeated so much. "Toriyama wanted to end it after the Freeza arc!" is the most common but nobody has ever given me any proof he said that in an interview or anything. Like there's an interview around when Battle of Gods came out where Toriyama says he always thought Super Saiyan 3 was SS2. In the manga I don't remember anyone ever really calling it Super Saiyan 2 until after the fact when Goku first did it, it was more like the super buff form Vegeta and Trunks get...but that gets twisted into people saying Toriyama actually forgot Super Saiyan 2 ever happened. I mean SS2 looks almost the exact same as SS in the manga. The anime added the crackling electricity and made the spiked hair more noticeable.

Its the same thing you get when people blame everything in a manga on editors, because editors are faceless and nebulous and you don't have to provide any backup.

Verelios

I believe it was the end of Cell saga when people thought Toriyama wanted to stop, though DBZ GAF could probably pull up the interviews faster than me.

Taruranto

Why isn't he naked?

The original Dragon Ball is so fucking different early on from DBZ and even later dragon ball seasons you gotta wonder just how much of a plan the creator had to go to DBZ.

Absolutely none, Toriyama always admitted he made up stuff along the way and that he's quite forgetful.

I really do wonder if the anime industry is approaching the point where it becomes unsustainable and the whole thing collapses. Not only are there increasingly greater numbers of delays and production collapses seen in TV anime, but I'm noticing more and more people from the industry speaking up on Twitter and other places about how the industry is simply being asked to make more anime than it can handle. The latest is French animator Thomas Romain, employed at Satelight, in a series of tweets prompted by Long Riders' continued delays:

Will anime die not because too few people wanted it, but because too many people did?

That was quite interesting, though it's hard to imagine an industry where so much money circulate suddenly collapse. Then again, I know jack about finance, how would that even work?

goku not recognizing pilaf and gang when they were such a big part of his childhood is funny. Like so how much has happened he doesn't care to remember

edit: apparently they didn't meet that often, so I guess that's why

Cornbread78

Occultic;Nine ep.4
Not bad at all once they removed titan tits from dancing around the friggen screen like an idiot. The othr teo mysteries in the show were developing nicely and I look forward to more.

sasuke_91

I think I read in an article some comments made by Toriyama, plus speculation, concerning how the Cell saga played out. Assuming that was his mind set throughout the entire series, I doubt Toriyama ever gave where he was going much thought. I want to even say he's gone on record as saying he never thought more than one chapter ahead. I mean, I think the world of Toriyama, but it seems like he was something akin to an 'idiot savant' with Dragon Ball seeing as none of this other works took off and he was just driving by the seat of his pants from beginning to end.

He sounds like the opposite of Oda.
Dragon Ball's world is kind of simple. Except for a few instances, new enemies were from a place that had no connection to earth and nobody ever knew of them so in terms of enemies and their strength he didn't have to care much about consistency. His own characters were too much to handle for him though.

I don't know if I should continue watching DB Super. Stopped at the point where the Ressurection F stuff was done and really had no desire to continue. Does it get better after that?

SB69 S2 06

This show just makes me want Symphogear S4 to come out all ready.

He sounds like the opposite of Oda.

I don't know if I should continue watching DB Super. Stopped at the point where the Ressurection F stuff was done and really had no desire to continue. Does it get better after that?

Oda was clearly very invested in creating a world from the very beginning, One Piece is actually extremely ambitious as a story in that way. It feels like there has been proper setup for every leap in power we've seen, like a tangible effort to avoid a Dragon Ball scenario where new threats have to appear one after the other with little setup. The most likely candidate for a final boss (Blackbeard) showed up in 2002 and only became a big issue a decade later. Hell the first time Luffy and Blackbeard meet they argue over pie. Doflamingo showed up that same year and was only beaten last year! The Yonkou were first concretely set up a decade ago and Luffy will probably fight and defeat the first one next year or the year after. With One Piece I never feel like "Well that dude is never gonna show up again" because they almost certainly will, unlike with Dragon Ball.

Super gets way better after the recap. I like the Universe 6 Tournament Arc but the Future Trunks Arc is really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom