• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Have you seen what some of these animators draw during their spare time? Yes, there are people who get up each day being proud of the fact that they get to draw the key frames of girls butt wrestling with each other. Not every animator, I'm sure, but then I don't think that's much different from the animators who worked on a more "prestige" series such as Flowers of Evil - I imagine there were some animators happy to work on it while others viewed their tracing of live action footage with disgust and dislike. It's not as if ecchi anime only get the bad key animators while mainstream-oriented anime only get the good ones; you don't get "promoted" from one to the other.
I guess my thing is that every season there are 20 or so anime, and I think we all agree that at least half (probably 2/3rds) of these shows are trash-tier for one reason or another. That's a lot of people who know that they are working on "bad" stuff. If the entire industry of animators, producers, directors, actors, etc are as enthusiastic and professional as the people in Shirobako as opposed to burned out and cynical like the ones in Girlish Number, then I guess I probably should apologize for looking down on anime and the anime production process.

Of course, I'm sure the truth is somewhere in between. But Shirobako feels like an EPK for their fictional in-universe anime (or perhaps, an anime version of that Ghibli documentary that came out a while ago), while Girlish Number feels like a satire (or at least as close to satire as one can get in anime) and that is just more interesting to me.

147904747399029u4o.jpg

Cat beats bat.

The male side is better than usual, but that's probably by accident.
Putting Hanekawa over Kiss Shot is blasphemy. but other than that good list for the girls as well.

Hanekawa x Araragi was written in such an OTP way in Kizu. Makes her destruction and redemption in Bake and Second Season even more delicious.

Meanwhile Kiss-Shot wasn't really relevant in Kizu II.

Quasar

I guess my thing is that every season there are 20 or so anime, and I think we all agree that at least half (probably 2/3rds) of these shows are trash-tier for one reason or another. That's a lot of people who know that they are working on "bad" stuff. If the entire industry of animators, producers, directors, actors, etc are as enthusiastic and professional as the people in Shirobako as opposed to burned out and cynical like the ones in Girlish Number, then I guess I probably should apologize for looking down on anime and the anime production process.

Of course, I'm sure the truth is somewhere in between. But Shirobako feels like an EPK for their fictional in-universe anime (or perhaps, an anime version of that Ghibli documentary that came out a while ago), while Girlish Number feels like a satire (or at least as close to satire as one can get in anime) and that is just more interesting to me.

Whereas I just can't take Girlish Number seriously because of its satirical nature. It's ok but I'm not enjoying it anymore than say New Game or Seiyuus Life.

Laughing at Chitose mostly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Because your "trash-tier" anime is someone else's obsession.
Didn't all the kids move on to the new MMO anime? Whatever happened to Database?

Now that's art.

Whereas I just can't take Girlish Number seriously because of its satirical nature. It's ok but I'm not enjoying it anymore than say New Game or Seiyuus Life.
Seiyuu's Life is probably neutral and sits in between the two for me. It's a somewhat realistic look at the industry, complete with cameos from real actors ala Curb Your Enthusiasm or Entourage, and it's about newbies who don't magically make it big overnight. But it's overall tone is generally positive, with the assumption that the talent of the characters will eventually bring them success.

blurr

The Great Passage 05

This episode was quite eventful, surely Nishioka did not expect that outcome but I guess, it goes to say Capitalism ho!

The show made no explicit attempt to tell why Nishioka was feeling apprehensive about leaving the Dictionary department (or why he was associated with them in the first place), despite it narrative-wise focusing on that aspect but I did sort of understand why by the end it. It simply made use of the existing drama and subtle dialogues to implicitly relay the fact and that I believe is good writing.

Nishioka and his girlfriend were quite intimidated by their company, we see this in the way they behave in front of them: his girlfriend denies any relationship with him under the presumption that he had been fired; their inability to deny the company's demands when Nishioka forgoes any attempt to convince them to retain his current position. At that instance, we are also told that the company has never even recognized his talent and with reference to them being from the same university, it goes to say that they've only recently been hired without a proper assessment of their capabilities or no opportunity to display it. Nishioka had no choice but work where he was but he eventually got attached to it, this is something she noticed too and shows concern; there's certainly more to them than meets the eye.

Worth noting how Majime and Nishioka's departments were reversed but Nishioka's having a hard time coping with this change than Majime ever did.

Lastly, the only reason I'm inclined to believe Nishioka succeeded in what he did was because of him witnessing and acknowledging the dedication and passion of his co-workers. This is probably not what I'd expect to see when he gets moved to the PR department and I won't be surprised if the show dabbles on that aspect of it.

you fucking read my mind bro

Clov

I was just expecting from the documentary details about Boro the Caterpillar and instead Hayao Miyazaki talks about working on another theatrical film! I'll take it, of course... but good luck working on more than 100 cuts by himself until 2019, at that age.

Mr. Takahata was sure he would return anyway, knows him too well! :)

That was probably part of a plan that it is now on hold, as Craig Rogers also mentioned tackling restoration projects for the rest of Animerama works too as a priority.

Oh Miyazaki, I knew he'd be back sooner or later! I'll be looking forward to his new film, assuming it happens.

Regarding Cinelicious, that's disappointing. It sounds like they hit a pretty big roadblock. I hope they're able to sort out any issues they're having with acquiring them. I'd also love to see them tackle some anime films outside of Animerama, so there's always potential for that.

-Minsc-

Izetta - 6

Not even a fantastical WWII was any escape. It's a world wide conspiracy.

Code:
[IMG]http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j372/Minsc007/anime/Izetta1_zps6ekfdh9u.png[/IMG]

edit:

Or maybe it's a sign a witch, flying around on big ass gun, is about to appear in the world.

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 7

Props to Takaki and Aston for making McGillis sweat.
Given Aston's talk of how he doesn't care about his own life, I was pretty sure he was going to die. Takaki has gotten really good at living through near-certain death situations. Tekkadan does not waste anytime cleaning up loose hands. Pity that Galan died already, but it gave Akihiro a nice win. Hush is still pathetic, though at least he knows that now. Takaki gets his hands dirty, but of course the hardest part is telling his sister.

JulianImp

JoJo DiU - #33
Now this was a nice episode. Jousuke's bravado rubbing off into the new guy was pretty nice, but it felt like Koiichi was awkward as hell with his weird poses during most scenes after he escaped Enigma's trap.

Eupho - #6
0TOUj1nl.png

The first half of the episode was pretty meh, but the second half with Kumiko's issues with her sister and Taki's backstory were really good.

The best part is that it looks like Asuka will become one of the key players in the next story arc. I can't wait to see more of her!

Also, I agree that Sapphire should probably be put on a bus at this point, since she's an overly generic anime genki girl in a show where that contrasts with the more subdued way everybody else is characterized, especially in S2 as opposed to S1 (I think I've finally come around to liking Kumiko now).

That's where you make a mistake. It is not true that everyone working on bad anime know they are working on bad anime. Anime such as K, Beyond the Boundary, and Occultic;Nine are hot trash, but they have staff working on them who believe in their work and are trying to create something worthwhile. This is something Shirobako itself shows: Exodus and Third Girl Aerial Squad are nonsensical garbage which would be dismissed by most of us if they aired in reality, but the creative minds behind them believe they are doing worthwhile work and are trying to express something with them. This, from my observation of both the end products and the behind-the-scenes info about anime, is a reflection of reality. Bad anime can be made by people who don't care, but it can just as easily be made by people who care almost too deeply.

(Also, Shirobako does feature burned out and cynical people, Hiraoka being the most prominent example.)

Gundam IBO - 32

Yeah much better than last week. Guess we had to watch the previous episode in order to get this, but it paid off. It was actually an excellent showing this week.

Cornbread78

WWWWorking ep.7
Lol, good stuff as always. The characters have continued to grow on me and the interactions and comedy are still good. Definately, one of my favorite shows of the season.

That's where you make a mistake. It is not true that everyone working on bad anime know they are working on bad anime. Anime such as K, Beyond the Boundary, and Occultic;Nine are hot trash, but they have staff working on them who believe in their work and are trying to create something worthwhile.
Guess I'm someone who likes hot trash lol. I mean come on...

Guess I'm someone who likes hot trash lol. I mean come on...

I think a lot of us are watching it here, but I think you may be the only one that legitimately loves the show, and that's fine. For me it is still very much watchable, but it's definitely the worst of my bunch this season. Again, I say this as this is my own opinion, my favourite show this season is probably not everyone's favourite. Heck I'm really enjoying IBO2 while others aren't too.

I think a lot of us are watching it here, but I think you may be the only one that legitimately loves the show, and that's fine. For me it is still very much watchable, but it's definitely the worst of my bunch this season. Again, I say this as this is my own opinion, my favourite show this season is probably not everyone's favourite. Heck I'm really enjoying IBO2 while others aren't too.
I wasn't just talking about O;9, but K too. It just bugs me when people go hyperbolic and toss the word shit and trash around like that. I get it, you don't like it, but trash level come on.

Szadek

Cowboy Bebop - Ep. 5
I got to honest, I lost a bit interest in watching this show during the last few episodes, but this episode was very good and won me back.
Hopefully the rest of the show is more like this and not so much episode 1-4.

On a random side not, I couldn't take episode 4 serious at all,because after hearing "Monkey Business", all I could think about was this.

No Love for Beyond the Boundary. :(
As it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom