• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mispoke. I just woke up so I'm kind of groggy.

But let's use your example. Yes, Shirobako contains a lot of stylistic flourishes like the director's melodrama or the street racing segments. But these fantastic elements are exactly what keeps me from investing into the characters as people rather than as symbols. I don't think Miyamori Aoi is a real person in the sense that I might run into her on the street. I think, if I met someone who worked in production, who gave me her personal account of its trials and tribulations, and if I wanted to create a semi-educational fiction about it, I would invent a character like Miyamori.

What makes GN 6 special is that Koto (the kansai seiyuu) feels like someone from the industry, rather than someone who represents a type in the industry.

OK, I think I can see where you're coming from. Mizushima's normal comedic exaggerations and flamboyance can make the characters in his works seem less than human. I think Shirobako is by far the most humanized out of his works, but that isn't saying a great deal. There's enough in the show to make me view its characters as real people, but Shirobako isn't a perfect model of realism (which isn't necessarily a bad thing in my view).

So did you actually read the source before saying its garbage? Because if you did no I don't think your point hold much value. The LN and the anime so far tells the same story, but in different matter, and I would never consider any of the two trash or unsalvageable(gosh damn). Most of the complaints the people have here don't even exist in the LN. It's slower and the events are placed in a way that I don't see how it could be confusing.

Of course if you did read it, then heh what can I say. I still think you are way to extreme in your definition of the show.

I have not read the original novels, so fair enough.

I just hope the heat death of the universe comes quicker than expected, so more bad anime can't be made.

I'm sure we'll find a SOMA-esque solution for good anime by then.

And maybe the rest of humanity, if we have time.

I dont understand, the arc had one of the best moments of the series, Fawn Fausia and the epic piloting from Fram Nara was one of the key moments of his arc. It really made her one of the best femchars in gundam.

I thought she was ok, the moments that I remember disliking about the end were

Zeheart's last moment
The weird anti-climatic ending with Flit shooting that bomb in the air
Sid? being super weak for a villain
The girl piloting that Unicorn imitation being completly useless to the story, yet taking 3 episodes.

Also DTL I wanted to ask you, Did you play Fragile Dreams on wii?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
but Shirobako isn't a perfect model of realism (which isn't necessarily a bad thing in my view).

Yes, it isn't a bad thing at all and I don't want to frame it as such. If it was a dealbreaker, I wouldn't be able to enjoy anime.

But I appreciate this specific kind of plausibility very much, and when I take a step back from anime and consider fiction holistically, it ranks high on my list of priorities, probably second only to aesthetic flair. It's something that I feel is missing from the vast majority of anime, so its presence here is very much appreciated.

From the start, I thought GN could go two ways.

1) Full cute girls doing cute things (New Game)
2) A self-aware periscope into the industry (Shirobako)

I was prepared for 1) even though I was hoping for 2). 2) was a longshot, and I had to constantly keep my expectations down. So seeing them met and in some ways exceeded had a dramatic effect on me.

EDIT: Also it helped GN's case that New Game aired last season which was beyond disappointment for me. It was everything I didn't want out of a premise like that. Imagine Sound Euphonium. And then by episode 3 the girls were just running around in panties, groping each others' breasts and blowing their instruments sexually.

Yes, it isn't a bad thing at all and I don't want to frame it as such. If it was a dealbreaker, I wouldn't be able to enjoy anime.

But I appreciate this specific kind of plausibility very much, and when I take a step back from anime and consider fiction holistically, it ranks high on my list of priorities, probably second only to aesthetic flair. It's something that I feel is missing from the vast majority of anime, so its presence here is very much appreciated.

It's something missing even more from the vast majority of Japanese live-action today, as can be dramatically seen by comparing the live action film trailers for the adaptations of Erased and The Great Passage and their TV anime counterparts. (Yes, even though the Erased anime gets very melodramatic, the live action film is way worse with painfully unbelievable action.)

From the start, I thought GN could go two ways.

1) Full cute girls doing cute things (New Game)
2) A self-aware periscope into the industry (Shirobako)

I was prepared for 1) even though I was hoping for 2). 2) was a longshot, and I had to constantly keep my expectations down. So seeing them met and in some ways exceeded had a dramatic effect on me.

I suppose I'm also colored by seeing all the heavy industry followers I pay attention to keep repeating that Girlish Number is not an accurate, realistic portrayal of the industry.

EDIT: Also it helped GN's case that New Game aired last season which was beyond disappointment for me. It was everything I didn't want out of a premise like that. Imagine Sound Euphonium. And then by episode 3 the girls were just running around in panties, groping each others' breasts and blowing their instruments sexually.

That is an amazing analogy.

Jex

Judging by some of the commentary on here I figured that's what the Euphoniums is about.

jgminto

People just need to realise already that everything they watch is garbage. I mean, I'm a dedicated viewer of the Bachelor franchise of shows and you think I'm not aware that they're a hot dumpster fire of awfulness? Of course I am, but I'm still compelled to watch because I'm a sucker. It's time to realise that you're all suckers.

Haly

Judging by some of the commentary on here I figured that's what the Euphoniums is about.

No no it's about lesbians running around in competitions, getting into each others' drama and blowing their instruments accurately.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 068

CxK9NyvUAAAzPCy.jpg
CxK9PT9UoAA1Fvf.jpg

The fact that this show is over 30 years old and far from the first work to bring up this stuff just proves nobody ever learns anything

godisntheradio

Neo Member
No no it's about lesbians running around in competitions, getting into each others' drama and blowing their instruments accurately.

according to Thoraxes review's, VERY accurately

Shimoneta: i loved this show the same way i loved Superbad, and this should've been the show that would unite everyone

March comes in like a lion ep6: this was so good i listened to the whole of Disintegration immediately afterwards, although i agree that the lack of narration would benefit some scenes

People just need to realise already that everything they watch is garbage. I mean, I'm a dedicated viewer of the Bachelor franchise of shows and you think I'm not aware that they're a hot dumpster fire of awfulness? Of course I am, but I'm still compelled to watch because I'm a sucker. It's time to realise that you're all suckers.

how can you watch that especially for two hours

pbayne

We're all marks.

phaze

Soul Eater 29

Didn't expect Ikuhara himself on the storyboards. A fine way to mark a revival in a show that has been slipping for a bit. Medusa revival parts were genuinely creepy and even managed to scare me at one point.

I've gotta say I got pretty used Chiaki Omigawa's voice. I remember I disliked quite a bit in Soredemo, where I first met her in more pronounced role but I've been gradually coming around.

I thought she was ok, the moments that I remember disliking about the end were

Zeheart's last moment
The weird anti-climatic ending with Flit shooting that bomb in the air
Sid? being super weak for a villain
The girl piloting that Unicorn imitation being completly useless to the story, yet taking 3 episodes.

Also DTL I wanted to ask you, Did you play Fragile Dreams on wii?

I dont think Ive heard of fragile dreams.

soo..
i started occult;nine with zero expectations..
first ep was.. meh?
too much ryo-tas boob-jumping and little real content..
episodes went by and..
I'm REALLY into this show now as of ep 4-5-6 :)

anybody else on the hype train for it?
it might not be "god-tier" and might as well be forgotten by the end of this season, but as of now it's one of the show that i eagerly await a new ep for :)

Sure, I agree with that, but the negativity is imo much more present. It's a shame tho, since it makes conversation start on hostility, which makes for terrible discussion with no side acknowledging either sides point.

It depends on the group I think. I haven't been following NeoGaf's anime community long, but I'd agree the negativity in here can seem pretty overbearing. That said, the IGN Anime Club group is positive hyperbole, constantly talking up various anime as the savior and greatest of all, with very few critical comments on things making their way to the top of the conversation. That's my experience anyway.

Narag

It depends on the group I think. I haven't been following NeoGaf's anime community long, but I'd agree the negativity in here can seem pretty overbearing. That said, the IGN Anime Club group is positive hyperbole, constantly talking up various anime as the savior and greatest of all, with very few critical comments on things making their way to the top of the conversation. That's my experience anyway.

Critical discussion here typically gets lambasted as unfairly negative due to people tying their personal identity too closely to the media they consume and see attacks on the show as attacks on themselves, often to amusing results. Trying to shut down discussion as damage control led to better posters being driven out of this thread due to the incessant cries of why can't we be more positive (read; say nothing bad about anime ever.)

Sure arguments happened with people engaged on a more critical level but those posters brought far more worth to the thread, giving it a rare quality among most anime communities I've come across, than a dozen of "this is the best thing evar. da feelz" posters ever could.

Critical discussion here typically gets lambasted as unfairly negative due to people tying their personal identity too closely to the media they consume and see attacks on the show as attacks on themselves, often to amusing results. Trying to shut down discussion as damage control led to better posters being driven out of this thread due to the incessant cries of why can't we be more positive (read; say nothing bad about anime ever.)

Oh yeah, that time I got called a cunt over Heavy Object.

Haly

MuyspS.gif

Remember:
Hunting for sport is bad.

I dont think Ive heard of fragile dreams.
it'sa very nice mystery adventure anime game that had BL in it, and the artstyle seemed to fit your tastes, so I was curious.

soo..
i started occult;nine with zero expectations..
first ep was.. meh?
too much ryo-tas boob-jumping and little real content..
episodes went by and..
I'm REALLY into this show now as of ep 4-5-6 :)

anybody else on the hype train for it?
it might not be "god-tier" and might as well be forgotten by the end of this season, but as of now it's one of the show that i eagerly await a new ep for :)
If only you knew, how much I love it, been aboard that hype train since day one. If you really liked the anime check out the LN too!

Heavy Object was pretty fun though.

And it's fine to think that, just don't call people cunts because they made some remarks about how the character interactions in it were cringe-worthy.

Though that guy was just looking for an excuse to start something. He had been making regular snide comments before he finally melted down. He popped in for another round a few months later too. He also had a blowup in the Cold Steel 2 thread because someone wasn't lavishing it with universal praise.

Sure arguments happened with people engaged on a more critical level but those posters brought far more worth to the thread, giving it a rare quality among most anime communities I've come across, than a dozen of "this is the best thing evar. da feelz" posters ever could.

Bingo. I've been guilty of this in the past, so I can say from experience that it's not a healthy attitude to take.

javac

Miss Hokusai is out on Blu-ray in the UK tomorrow. Excited!

Disc Contents:
  • Miss Hokusai film
  • 2 hours Making of featurette
  • Exclusive Interview with Director Keiichi Hara
  • Movie Trailer

Collector’s Edition Details:
  • Ultimate Edition Box made with Wood with Clean Art
  • Digipack to hold the Blu-ray disc and 2 DVD discs
  • 80 page Booklet:
    Delves into the history surrounding Miss Hokusai and world of the Edo period of Japan. This has been curated in coordination with Production I.G, who put a lot of time and effort into having as much historical fact and points of interest as possible. It makes for very interesting reading and provides lots of useful context about this time in Japanese history depicted in the film that chances are most people may not be familiar with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom