• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sangatsu - 06

Very depressing episode. I liked how things got shaken up towards the end, but having to wait an entire week to see what may just be a couple of minutes of interaction, just blows.

Szadek

Today I watched the last Code Geass: Akito the Exiled movie and it was so forgettable that I'm already barely remembering it.
Like the other movies, the action decent, but it's almost impossible to care for these character and the story is stupid.
Some of the geass powers in the series are badly explained and don't make a lot of sense.

One of the most annoying things about these movies are the cameos of the original series that barely amount to anything and are more distracting than anything else.

kvT6M8V.jpg

Here, now you have the perfect image for the start of your exodus.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I see people take issue with 3gatsu's monolouing and I won't deny it's a weakness, but I really appreciated its portrayal of Rei's desire to "go somewhere". Sometimes I tell my therapist the exact same thing, how I have this urge to leave wherever I am. It is a physical metaphor; there's the hope that by moving through space you also move beyond your emotions. In a medium that revels in melodrama and the hyperreal, this scene was a refreshing bit of verisimilitude.

Clov

I'll crack open my Cinelicious pics copy of Belladonna in the meantime...

It's a very nice release! It even includes a nice little essay in a small booklet. Be sure to watch the interview with the director.

I wonder if Cinelicious will be picking up anymore anime films? I could see them picking up the other two Animerama films. My dream, as I'm sure I've mentioned here before, would be for them to pick up Angel's Egg and give it a new 4K restoration. I could see it happening, but who knows...

Occultic;Nine 06

These murders are pretty fucked up, reminding me a lot of when I read Chaos;Head. This writer has an eerie fascination with fucked up box opening scenes.

Cornbread78

3-gatsu ep.6
Excellent job animating Rei's depression. I got a little lost in the part about his
losing streak, was that past or present? Also, the image (above) with him swimming in the sea of despair used bright warm colors, which felt really
out of place in contrast to to previous and follow screens. Especially when you see how things brighten up when he meets up with Hina.

javac

It's a very nice release! It even includes a nice little essay in a small booklet. Be sure to watch the interview with the director.

I wonder if Cinelicious will be picking up anymore anime films? I could see them picking up the other two Animerama films. My dream, as I'm sure I've mentioned here before, would be for them to pick up Angel's Egg and give it a new 4K restoration. I could see it happening, but who knows...

I'm really sad that I never picked up the Belladonna of Sadness Companion book, its just full of screens from the film but it seriously looks amazing. On the plus side I have the LaserDisc and original theatrical Japanese poster! I'm not really versed on the other two Animerama films but having Tezuka's direct involvement would add weight to their importance in terms of preservation one would think. I'd be interested in seeing them get a similar treatment to Belladonna for sure, but I don't think that they'd necessarily have the same impact on me as Belladonna did due to its more serious nature thematically.

As for Angel's Egg, I bought the Japanese BD and muxed English subtitles years ago, not like there's much dialog in the film anyways!

HeyBo Episode 8

The lousy vocaroos (especially the one that is always tweeting is the best), using the excuse that their gags are intellectual and not laughing at high-energy performances and such, lol.

My favorite continuing gag is the Delinquent Nejiru, hes the best.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Stop watching whatever shitty anime you're watching and watch Arrival.
Looks like simplistic sci-if that finds its Hollywood schlock in emotional pandering that will ultimately ask the viewer to disengage their brain.

Narag

Looks like simplistic sci-if that finds its Hollywood schlock in emotional pandering that will ultimately ask the viewer to disengage their brain.

Thought the same until I saw what it was based on and now I'm interested. They couldn't have picked a more off-putting title though.

Today's Dragon Ball Super episode is probably my favorite thus far. It does feel kind of "fanfictiony" in whatever way you quantify that but thats kinda how I feel about everything past the end of DB. Like yeah you have Goku using Kaioken to get an extra hit in, bringing back Vegito to have him stomp and Trunks using a spirit bomb sword but hey it was pretty cool and looked good. Its not really any worse then when Goku helped Gohan push his Kamehameha to kill cell when he was dead. The fighting was also somewhat interesting, instead of just trading lightning fast blows and kicks Vegito did some raw shit

One Piece 764

Every week I say the same thing - this show moves reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal slow. At least it doesn't look like garbage anymore, but when half the episode is Sanji and Capone sitting in a room taking 20 seconds between each line that stops being impressive

Jarmel

Banned
hahahahaha

As our next president would say, "Wrong!".
Thought the same until I saw what it was based on and now I'm interested. They couldn't have picked a more off-putting title though.
It's perfect precisely because the title is bland/crappy. The less you know going into the movie, the better.

Clov

I'm really sad that I never picked up the Belladonna of Sadness Companion book, its just full of screens from the film but it seriously looks amazing. On the plus side I have the LaserDisc and original theatrical Japanese poster! I'm not really versed on the other two Animerama films but having Tezuka's direct involvement would add weight to their importance in terms of preservation one would think. I'd be interested in seeing them get a similar treatment to Belladonna for sure, but I don't think that they'd necessarily have the same impact on me as Belladonna did due to its more serious nature thematically.

As for Angel's Egg, I bought the Japanese BD and muxed English subtitles years ago, not like there's much dialog in the film anyways!

Yeah, there's not a whole lot of anime like Belladonna at all. It's quite unique in terms of its content and presentation.

On the topic of Tezuka and anime, I wonder when his son will get around to finishing the last part of Legend of the Forest? Part 2 was released around two years ago, I think.

People seem annoyed regarding how aspects of fusions are being retconned. They seem to view this change as fanficy....but all I think to myself is how Beerus said he killed all the dinosaurs.

Good thing dinosaurs weren't ever in Dragon Ball or DBZ.

And Yuuki Yuuna is getting a "film" series too.

There's just more and more examples of how the anime industry wants to move back to OVAs (now with a limited theatrical run added) as a primary distribution model.

That's really weird.

The TV prequel series is only going to be six episodes with the sequel series following after it in the remaining six.

How are they gonna stretch the former out for three movies?

People seem annoyed regarding how aspects of fusions are being retconned. They seem to view this change as fanficy....but all I think to myself is how Beerus said he killed all the dinosaurs.

Good thing dinosaurs weren't ever in Dragon Ball or DBZ.

Good thing fusions have always been consistent right

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 31

Trio units are starting up right after the main trio breaks up. Huh. Yume just kind of wants to take a break, which sucks for poor Ako. Meanwhile Laura continues her descent into Dark Roller. Tsubasa is ruthless snagging the Kasumi siblings right away. This is the first time I think I enjoyed inter-S4 interactions with Yuzu feeling a bit left out and Tsubasa and Yozora showing Mahiru how it's done. Mahiru was really being set up for S4 this episode. Nice dance from them, but the stage was the true star this time. With two S4, rising Mahiru, and Hime gone, nothing can stop Tsubasa's domination this time. Except for Yuzu gathering an all-star team with Ako and... Yume? Eh. Lily would've made more sense and would make it a pretty even battle, but I guess Lily wanted to go with Yuri for admin shenanigans. Yume does have rainbow magic, but even with that I don't see how a last minute get together can beat the mighty Sky-Girls. So that's probably going to happen.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gundam 00 Season 2 is such a waste of time. It blows all the goodwill of the first season which genuinely had some interesting global politics and characters and just fucks it all up. It's only better than AGE on account of being half as long and having slightly better character art.

Sound Euphonium S2 2

The more subdued and natural voice acting that Kumiko's actress and several of the other characters are going for makes the very exaggerated, cutesy "anime" acting of someone like Midori stand out poorly.

I'm not sure I like the decreased emphasis on music so far in favor of developing a complicated web of teenage drama, but we'll see how that develops.

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam 00 Season 2 is such a waste of time. It blows all the goodwill of the first season which genuinely had some interesting global politics and characters and just fucks it all up. It's only better than AGE on account of being half as long and having slightly better character art.

People could have told you that before you watched it.

Yeeeep.

That's 00 S2 for ya.

At least the final battle in the show is awesome. Doesn't really make up for all the garbage that you had to sit through but it's a decent mecha finale.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People could have told you that before you watched it.

Well I watched the first few episodes when they came out and dropped it because life got in the way. I knew it got bad but I had to see it myself.

Besides in September I already did all of AGE so I was prepared for this, and I had a copy of the series that I'd never opened and got for free. It's...not worth free.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I might watch double Zeta around Thanksgiving and X in January.

Rest of this month I'm going to continue the theme of bad anime I haven't finished and take a crack at Is this a Zombie? Devil May Cry, and Black Blood Brothers.

The Great Passage Episode 5:

I really wish they would have cut those interludes from this series, they are just so very ill fitting towards the aesthetic the are building here. To wit, I feel like I am watching a kids show interrupting The Office. Everything else this episode was excellent otherwise.

Yeh. I mentioned this in my first episode impressions, too. I was genuinely thinking I was seeing a commercial the characters are following or so. Nope, just hella out of place interludes.

Meanwhile I'm totally in love with the (relevant to the episode) word definition we get when the ED starts playing.

Quasar

Yeh. I mentioned this in my first episode impressions, too. I was genuinely thinking I was seeing a commercial the characters are following or so. Nope, just hella out of place interludes.

Meanwhile I'm totally in love with the (relevant to the episode) word definition we get when the ED starts playing.

Interludes? I'm not even sure I know what you mean.

duckroll

Girls und Panzer: Final Chapter will be a theatrical OVA series: 6 episodes of 40 minutes each. It will begin screening in December 2017.

Slight correction from the source: The first release will be at least 40 minutes long. They have not set a definite runtime for the series yet. The rest could be longer.

Basically, think of the first chapter as about 2 TV episodes in length, the rest might be more but not less. So at the very least it will have the content of a 12 episode series, but it could be up to 17 episodes or so of content if they decide to make the later chapters longer.

Branduil

Well theater OVAs are a logical answer to TV production problems, if your franchise is big enough to justify it.

Sucks for people who don't live in Japan, though.

cj_iwakura

Despair side shits the bed BADLY around the halfway point while Future never really dips below average (even if it never rises above it either). Despair also has the added benefit of retroactively making the rest of the series worse, so take that as you will.

That's sad to hear, because I really like where it's going.

This thread was spot on about Terror In Resonance, though. What a wreck that turned into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom