• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunter x Hunter '99 28

YtPyyLD.jpg
LuOYZp4.jpg
C3w568p.jpg

Reminder that Gon is 12 years old

Sterok

Girlish Number struck me as a showing of how the bad and disastrous anime get made, not the ones we care about. It still leans on the cynical side, but it goes to show just how a project with a lot of people and money can still fail.

Maho Girls Precure 40

Super tsundere Riko. I think this is the third time she was irritated at a family member only to come around to them at the end. Come on, I know this is Precure, but tone down a bit on the repetition. Deusmast looks like an efficient planet buster. I always appreciate those with a good work ethic. Tanzanite got an upgrade, and Garnet's earth bending powers just got cooler. Ending is back to normal and looping back around.

Quasar

Critical discussion here typically gets lambasted as unfairly negative due to people tying their personal identity too closely to the media they consume and see attacks on the show as attacks on themselves, often to amusing results. Trying to shut down discussion as damage control led to better posters being driven out of this thread due to the incessant cries of why can't we be more positive (read; say nothing bad about anime ever.)

Sure arguments happened with people engaged on a more critical level but those posters brought far more worth to the thread, giving it a rare quality among most anime communities I've come across, than a dozen of "this is the best thing evar. da feelz" posters ever could.

Well I just think that's because certain posters tend to dominate discussion and they tend to be negative. Me...I'd rather talk about things I like than I dislike. That doesn't mean I like everything, which is obvious given the small group of shows I do watch.

Certainly I'd rather see less emotive negativity and more constructive criticism when it comes to people talking about shows that they don't enjoy.

Ascheroth

And it's fine to think that, just don't call people cunts because they made some remarks about how the character interactions in it were cringe-worthy.

Though that guy was just looking for an excuse to start something. He had been making regular snide comments before he finally melted down. He popped in for another round a few months later too. He also had a blowup in the Cold Steel 2 thread because someone wasn't lavishing it with universal praise.

Life's much better if you don't define yourself by what you consume.
Even if it's not always easy.

duckroll

And it's fine to think that, just don't call people cunts because they made some remarks about how the character interactions in it were cringe-worthy.

Though that guy was just looking for an excuse to start something. He had been making regular snide comments before he finally melted down. He popped in for another round a few months later too. He also had a blowup in the Cold Steel 2 thread because someone wasn't lavishing it with universal praise.

Damn, how come he never called me a cunt?! I feel left out!

I frequently think of hosannainexcelsis and Jexhius as the same person.

I used to mix up hosannainexcelsis and icarus-daedalus.

I'll take that as a compliment.

Hunter x Hunter '99 28

This episode is brutal.

The way animegaf talks about Euphonium, I assume it's lesbian pillow fights all the time. lol

You should read Thoraxes' impressions.

Critical discussion here typically gets lambasted as unfairly negative due to people tying their personal identity too closely to the media they consume and see attacks on the show as attacks on themselves, often to amusing results. Trying to shut down discussion as damage control led to better posters being driven out of this thread due to the incessant cries of why can't we be more positive (read; say nothing bad about anime ever.)

Sure arguments happened with people engaged on a more critical level but those posters brought far more worth to the thread, giving it a rare quality among most anime communities I've come across, than a dozen of "this is the best thing evar. da feelz" posters ever could.

I mean, sure, critical discussion can indeed be viewed as unfairly negative (which is unfair in and of itself.) But I don't think using terminology like "Trashy adaptation" helps the argument in any real stretch. When that user did that it wasn't criticism, it was outright trash talking (pun not intended) Not that Heavy Object is something I even really liked, but it's that kind of overly harsh labeling that can, and will provoke tension. I'm all for being hard on anime, and not just accepting the medium without pointing out its flaws, but there's a point where it goes from critical discussion to just lampooning something as if your opinion is fact. Cunt is undoubtedly an uncalled for reaction though. But hey, I mean, I'm new, what do I know.

I mean, sure, critical discussion can indeed be viewed as unfairly negative (which is unfair in and of itself.) But I don't think using terminology like "Trashy adaptation" helps the argument in any real stretch. When that user did that it wasn't criticism, it was outright trash talking (pun not intended) Not that Heavy Object is something I even really liked, but it's that kind of overly harsh labeling that can, and will provoke tension. I'm all for being hard on anime, and not just accepting the medium without pointing out its flaws, but there's a point where it goes from critical discussion to just lampooning something as if your opinion is fact. Cunt is undoubtedly an uncalled for reaction though. But hey, I mean, I'm new, what do I know.

I love you, you better keep posting here.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Miyazaki coming out of retirement to personally school Shinkai in the field of anime blockbusters.

Kenstar

Hunter x Hunter '99 28

That's one of the things I like about HxH, it's rare to see a shounen mc get wrecked by a no name that far into the series

he get's no rematch, the dude is irrelevant to the plot yet stomps on him to show just how much a difference there is between seasoned vets and newcomer kids.

Hell he had to
sacrifice his soul
to take down not the big bad, but only his HENCHMAN

Him and Killua had to actively try their hardest just to not get killed by the spiders, instead of trying to figure out how to win they are just trying to escape with their lives. There's no demon in him to give him asspul powers, no sword to talk to him to achieve bankai v2.2 beta, these are grown ass adults that've been doing this shit far longer than you and will end you

and neither knew nen yet, this wasn't a 'oh if only i knew the secret technique that everyone strong knows I could win' situation

So, I'm watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica after enjoying Fate/Zero and Thunderbolt Fantasy but immensely regretting Aldnoah.Zero. Since he had full script duties on this, I thought I might like it better.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 6

It's aight? The first 3 episodes were pretty boring until yellow girl got murked. But aside from the subversive nature of this, it's not really doing all that much for me so far. Black girl somehow knows about pink girl and is trying to prevent pink girl from becoming a magical girl because of the dream pink girl had. I assume black girl is involved in some time travel or alternate universes shenanigans. Blue girl using her wish to save violin kid is gonna bit her in the ass so badly. And now she was almost killed by pink girl lmao. What a revelation tho. Red girl is super annoying but at least she got it figured out. And you can tell that shady cat-like animal is up to no good.

I mean, trashy adaptations do exist. That is a fact. People's views on what constitutes "trashy" may differ, but I don't think that means we can't use the word.

Heavy Object is the very definition of trashy. It's a power fantasy full of fan service and awkward objectification of women. This is a series where the protagonist's superior officer is dealing with an unwanted arranged marriage so he gropes her during a video chat so that no one will want to marry her. If you're so attached to such a series that you can't handle mild criticism of it, the problem does not lie with me.

You're also isolating a single comment outside of its context, which actually does matter here.

Narag

To be fair, there is/was a prevailing assumption of discussion with other adults in this thread and expecting someone to take offense at something being called trashy is frankly bizarre given how tame the term is. More loaded descriptors like 'shit', 'fucking trash', 'pedobait' etc would warrant that sort of reaction far more than using something other than just good or bad to describe a show.

I mean, trashy adaptations do exist. That is a fact. People's views on what constitutes "trashy" may differ, but I don't think that means we can't use the word.

I don't want to get too nitpicky, otherwise this conversation will get silly, but I personally try my best when engaging with someone of an opposing opinion not to use inflammatory language.

Ex: When interacting with someone who thought The Lost Village was actually an incredible anime I didn't call it trash when discussing it with them. I may indeed think its trash
I do.
but I'll censor my vocabulary around someone who does like the show. My comments don't exist in a vacuum and I'm not going to pretend I can't insight someone by being lose with my words.

But that's me. And sure, it's also on the other side for people to become a bit more detached from the media they consume, but I don't have a problem offering an olive branch in the way I present my arguments.

To be fair, there is/was a prevailing assumption of discussion with other adults in this thread and expecting someone to take offense at something being called trashy is frankly bizarre given how tame the term is. More loaded descriptors like 'shit', 'fucking trash', 'pedobait' etc would warrant that sort of reaction far more than using something other than just good or bad to describe a show.

He was offended before I called it that, that wasn't the instigating comment. The dude was taking random pot shots at me earlier in the week and the opening comment that started it was tame as hell.

I don't want to get too nitpicky, otherwise this conversation will get silly, but I personally try my best when engaging with someone of an opposing opinion not to use inflammatory language.

Ex: When interacting with someone who thought The Lost Village was actually an incredible anime I didn't call it trash when discussing it with them. I may indeed think its trash
I do.
but I'll censor my vocabulary around someone who does like the show. My comments don't exist in a vacuum and I'm not going to pretend I can't insight someone by being lose with my words.

But that's me. And sure, it's also on the other side for people to become a bit more detached from the media they consume, but I don't have a problem offering an olive branch in the way I present my arguments.
This doesn't really apply to this scenario to be honest.

Narag

He was offended before I called it that, that wasn't the instigating comment. The dude was taking random pot shots at me earlier in the week and the opening comment that started it was tame as hell.

He had a similar meltdown in the manga thread last month iirc. Oddly enough regarding this thread.

Cornbread78

Occultic;Nine ep.6
Don't look in the box, DON'T LOOK INTO THE BOX!!!!!

Some crazy stuff is going on in this, but it went from mystery to crazy, wtf just happened mystery. Seriously, just when I tjought I was figuring things out, all of this happens, lol.

Theonik

Miss Hokusai is out on Blu-ray in the UK tomorrow. Excited!

Disc Contents:
  • Miss Hokusai film
  • 2 hours Making of featurette
  • Exclusive Interview with Director Keiichi Hara
  • Movie Trailer

Collector’s Edition Details:
  • Ultimate Edition Box made with Wood with Clean Art
  • Digipack to hold the Blu-ray disc and 2 DVD discs
  • 80 page Booklet:
    Delves into the history surrounding Miss Hokusai and world of the Edo period of Japan. This has been curated in coordination with Production I.G, who put a lot of time and effort into having as much historical fact and points of interest as possible. It makes for very interesting reading and provides lots of useful context about this time in Japanese history depicted in the film that chances are most people may not be familiar with.
Grabbed this one at MCM. It's quite a nice box. Actually I can give quick reviews/unboxings for Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, Tatami Galaxy, Miss Hokusai, G-Reco, of the ones I grabbed early from anime limited.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 7

Well there it is. The true nature of these wishes revealed. Red girl's drank himself to death because of her wish... for some reason. That's why she tries to help blue girl now... suddenly.
francis.png

Blue girl being all optimistic after hearing that story is gonna be even more powerful when her hopes and dreams of getting with violin kid are crushed.
banderas.png

Especially now that green girl declared her interest in him. "ONE DAY" reminded me of that GAF thread. And then she went completely berserk.
lupe1.png

He had a similar meltdown in the manga thread last month iirc. Oddly enough regarding this thread.
He did because a guy from the anime thread went and thrash talked the manga thread. While the guy did go overboard, at least its easy to understand why it was regarding this thread.

He's got a history of this. Though I do think it's a pretty amusing commentary on the evolution of this community when I of all people get attacked for being too elitist and negative because of a light novel harem show.

It wasn't a person who exclusively posts here. A lot of us post in both the threads.
Yea I know that, I visit both too.

No, it's just insecurity and misplaced anger.
I was commenting about the *odd it was about this thread*. Because if I remember correctly they were using comparaison between to two threads.

What I means is that it was not odd, because yea it was was misplaced anger, I did say he went overboard.

Heavy Object is the very definition of trashy. It's a power fantasy full of fan service and awkward objectification of women. This is a series where the protagonist's superior officer is dealing with an unwanted arranged marriage so he gropes her during a video chat so that no one will want to marry her. If you're so attached to such a series that you can't handle mild criticism of it, the problem does not lie with me.

You're also isolating a single comment outside of its context, which actually does matter here.

I don't know that I'd agree. I think Heavy Object has a few
= Operative Word
redeeming qualities. The mechanics of the world and the Objects themselves could be quite fun, and when the series focused on its greater reaching plots it could be decently enjoyable. I agree that the fan service, and objectification of the female leads was offputting, and hampered my enjoyment week to week. Enough so that I don't even feel it's something I'd recommend. It's probably decent for anyone completely unphased by such treatment of women.

This doesn't really apply to this scenario to be honest.

Fair enough. Just to be clear I wasn't blaming you or anything and I think it sucks you got called that. I do think there was a better way to handle the situation, but it's not on you that he took it there.

I don't know that just because more harsh terms exist that I'd agree trashy or trash is all that tame, but I do agree it doesn't warrant the use of the C word, or anything like it. My main view is just in the way I try to discuss anime, especially once I realize I'm dealing with someone I disagree most definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom