• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

code geass disks 1-4 rewatch (original bandai release :p) so like eps 1-17

still a really fun series... sad I forgot Mao was a character.

also made me realize I can't remember what Gene from outlaw star sounds like in english since they have the same voice actor.

...is this supposed to be a diss on Star Driver? That show's great.

The best thing I can say about Star Driver was that it was sorta pretty.....and maybe one of the fights was good (though every episode felt sorta the same, so no clue which fight that was since the show sorta just blurred together as a colorful mess).

We're getting a sequel to Chaos;Head next season.

If that's not a sign of end times I don't know what is.

I have vaguely high hopes for Chaos;Child, given the praise it got for being an improvement on everything already good about Chaos;Head. But that was just for the visual novel. In terms of the adaptation, at least Madhouse isn't the studio and can't fuck things up this time.

ibyea

Banned
Ghost in the Shell
Sheesh, can't believe I haven't bothered watching this until now. Really great science fiction, even if the exposition is sort of hilarious in that it reminds me of Metal Gear exposition. It's a shame the English voice acting for Matoko Kusanagi was so freaking bad, unfortunately English dub is the only way I could watch this.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ohWIzHy.png
In the yuri netorare soap opera, the male lead that gets cucked (and I use this in the literal sense, not the 4ch definition) is the fan favorite. Let that sink in.

mid83

I saw the trailer for Ghost in the Shell, which looks pretty awesome I have to say. It also got me thinking about anime.

Anyways, I haven't watched any anime except for about half of Cowboy Bebop. I've always been somewhat interested in trying it out but I'm pretty skeptical for reasons I'm sure many people have expressed over the years.

Any recommendations for some shows, either older or newer that you would recommend to an anime newbie that is somewhat skeptical? I tend to enjoy action/sci-fi movies and tv shows, so anything that fits into those categories would be awesome. Mysteries/political or spy thrillers are also big genres for me, but I'm not sure if anime has anything like that.

In any case, I didn't see a recommendation thread linked, so i figured I'd ask here. Please redirect me if there is another thread for this.

I saw the trailer for Ghost in the Shell, which looks pretty awesome I have to say. It also got me thinking about anime.

Anyways, I haven't watched any anime except for about half of Cowboy Bebop. I've always been somewhat interested in trying it out but I'm pretty skeptical for reasons I'm sure many people have expressed over the years.

Any recommendations for some shows, either older or newer that you would recommend to an anime newbie that is somewhat skeptical? I tend to enjoy action/sci-fi movies and tv shows, so anything that fits into those categories would be awesome. Mysteries/political or spy thrillers are also big genres for me, but I'm not sure if anime has anything like that.

In any case, I didn't see a recommendation thread linked, so i figured I'd ask here. Please redirect me if there is another thread for this.

Denno Coil is a good sci-fi anime to check out. Serial Experiments Lain is also worth looking into maybe, though it's not action heavy. If you're looking for a good shonen action anime, then I'd recommend either Full Metal Alchemist. (People should really see both.) In terms of recent anime, that I think everyone should at least check out, look at Mob Psycho. It's not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Dennou Coil and Shin Sekai Yori sound like they might be right up your alley. They're both excellent and have very well thought through worlds / stories.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Finish Cowboy Bebop for starters.

Qurupeke

Citrus? Main love interest doesn't act like a real person and randomly flip flops between emotions on a whim, and it isn't portrayed as a mental condition either. Its just seemingly random displays of affection then the next chapter as cold as ever

NTR: Netsuzou Trap will save us if Citrus is really bad.

phaze

Fate/Zero
Mononoke
Shin Sekai Yori (though it's not quite the sci-fi you might be used to)

Maybe just try anime GitS if you like that aesthethic.

Guilty Crown
M3 that dark metal
Concrete Revolution

Szadek

Cowboy Bebop - Ep. 7
The climax was some seriuos BS with Spike surviving in space just by holding his breath.
Other than that it was a good episode, but that ending was stupid as hell.

JulianImp

I just do not understand the fervent fascination with Rem.

Same here. The whole concept of characters devoting themselves to the first person who happens to be nice to them is really weird for me, and the fact that they're so emotionally weak doesn't make me "want to protect them", either.

Actually, I think that's the thing... their overreliance on another character for emotional support makes them feel more like pets than characters with a mind of their own. When everything they do is meant to appeal to their crush and beg for their attention is when the character loses me. Yeah, Rem's confession to Subaru was great and all, but she sucks as a standalone character in my eyes.

The best part with that love triangle there is that Rem got dumped for what is the exact same kind of relationship between Subaru and Emilia, only Emilia apparently isn't smitten with anyone yet, giving Subaru an actual shot at winning her over by doing downright suicidal things over and over (sure, that'll work).

DiGiKerot

Guilty Crown
M3 that dark metal
Concrete Revolution

Guilty Crown and M3 are both bad.

Concrete Revolutio is terrific, but it's also not really something I'd recommend to someone not already invested in the medium - a lot of it is an exploration of the political space of 1960s Japan through the lens of popular media of the time (or the other way around). It at least helps to have some idea of some of the characters, or at least character archetypes, that the show is referencing.

duckroll

Don't let anyone here confuse or mislead you. Anime is sin.

Cornbread78

Probably too late, but:

Steins;Gate
Erased

DiGiKerot

Strangely enough, there is a lot of Ghost in the Shell. Most of it is at least OK - the first movie I still have a lot of affection for, and Stand Alone Complex is largely good. ARISE is a mixed bag (the movie that caps it off is great, the rest is so-so). I don't really get along with Innocence, though I admire the craft behind it.

The first season of Psycho-Pass is pretty good if that's that kind of SF you are into. It's kind of a blend of Minority Report and a police procedural, maybe with a smidge of Judge Dredd since they blow people up with cool guns, though the writing is a little heavy-handed at times (though if you aren't familiar with some of the tropes of Urobuchi's writing, it might not bug you so much). The second season had a change in writing staff and the quality went down the crapper, unfortunately, though the movie that follows it is great.

Black Lagoon is a good bet for an action show.

I kind of always want to recommend Yamato 2199, but that's not really readily available. Ditto Hyouka, but that's probably not the kind of mystery show you are looking for! Ditto most the stuff I'd like to mention - I think Oshii's pre-GitS Patlabor movies are terrific and pretty accessible for someone not generally into anime, but, again, not really all that available right now.

Pfft, anime. We don't like anime around here boy.

If you like action/scifi/spy thrillers then Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex will be squarely in your tastes.
For action/mystery you have the beloved in this forum Attack on Titan.
Shinsekai Yori is a more serious scifi work, you may like it.
Planetes is also a solid recommendation.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sticking to the sci-fi route, the best platform to jump in from to get you into anime is clearly AKB0048. A perfect blend of sci-fi and what's important in anime today.

duckroll

While anime might be a terrible sin that absolutely cannot be encouraged or supported, there is a Japanese animated film I want to recommend. Sword of the Stranger is a kickass movie for all action and period Japanese fans. You will not regret it.

Thud

Monster and Paranoia Agent are excellent thrillers.

Szadek

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo - Ep: 5-6
The count is such a fantastic master manipulator. He knows excatly which buttons to push so that everyone dances by his tune.
I wonder what his master plan looks like.
Ep 6 seems to implies that he might be the dead prince or at the least he is related to him.

We still don't know who that woman who keeps following him, but she obviously is very important.
However, she knows Albert's father and by the way she reacted sonething big must have happened between them.

Mai-HiME - Ep. 9
Not too much happend this episode, it was mostly a fanservie beach episode.
Although, we got Natsuki's backstory and want she wants, so that's good.

Given the tastes you express, I would recommend checking out the following anime films and TV shows:

Blue Exorcist: The Movie
Dirty Pair: Project Eden
Fate/Zero
Garo the Animation (first season only)
Ghost in the Shell (either the first film or SAC will probably be up your alley)
Gunslinger Girl (first season only; the premise involving young girls might raise your eyebrows, but the show itself is actually very thoughtful, and atmospheric)
Jin-Roh
Mob Psycho 100
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Patlabor: either OVA 1-Movie 1-Movie 2 or TV-OVA 2 (two different continuities)
Perfect Blue
Skull Man
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Wolf's Rain

There's a huge variety in styles and themes encompassed in the large world of Japanese animation, so there's likely to be at least something, probably one of these but possibly others too, that you can get behind.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I confess I still cannot comprehend how you were fine with Reiko Yoshida writing something like Chu-bra but not fine with her writing Majestic Prince.
Chu-bra actually was somewhat progressive for anime because it dealt with body issues in a somewhat realistic manner. I don't know if that was the manga or the anime though.

Just finished the first Bacano novel and damn they sure took some liberties with the adaptation. We have stuff from episode 1 and 13 in that same novel. But I get what they did, adapting one novel was clearly not enought to fit into 13 episodes.

Chu-bra actually was somewhat progressive for anime because it dealt with body issues in a somewhat realistic manner. I don't know if that was the manga or the anime though.

The protagonist of the story, who also acts as an 'underwear monitor'. She takes keen interest in underwear research. As a result, she is pretty shameless when it comes to her underwear, or anyone else's for that matter. Determined to inform people about the necessities of underwear, she forms the Underwear Appreciation Society with the encouragement of Hiroki. Her motto is "A great day starts with a great pair of panties."

O-OK...

PK Gaming

In the yuri netorare soap opera, the male lead that gets cucked (and I use this in the literal sense, not the 4ch definition) is the fan favorite. Let that sink in.

He somehow ends up becoming the most endearing/likeable character in the manga.

Yep.

Ping Pong Girls ep.7
This show is definitely something.. all kinds of moe anime girls playing pong. It's a solid 7 so far. Doki Doki

Kuroko no Basket: Winter Cup Highlights Episode 1 – Winter Cup Highlights -Shadow and Light- (Part 1)
Recap movie but damn that intro looked badass. Not sure if I was imagining things but it seemed in some parts frames were added to animation. Not much though, pretty straightforward recap. Some changed music worked pretty well except the
Zone vs Zone
battle one killed all the hype. Overall pretty gr8 kuroko stuff, I r8 it 8/10

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 4 Engdub

I just realized theyre using Nendou (saiki k) mom voice for their teacher guy and I cant stop laughing everytime he speaks.

Fantastic episode tailing the hunter guy and seeing Lute try to defend the tigrex.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Description
Nervous about being alone with her new boyfriend, Takeda, Yuma insists that her once angelic childhood friend, Hotaru and Hotaru's boyfriend come along for a double date. But when Hotaru begins to touch Yuma and volunteers herself as "practice", Yuma feels inner turmoil as she enjoys the now devilish Hotaru's kiss more than Takeda's.
Mmhm, yes I see

So it's School Days all over again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom