• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like the part where vegeta gets killed by freeza and cries to goku to beat him up

lol vegeta

wrzGVOu.gif

TrueBlue

Yeah more or less

-The lead is a wishy washy mush girl
-The deuteragonist is basically Tharja
-The deuteragonist's boyfriend is... the less said about him, the better

Leaving the lead's boyfriend as the only decent human being of the bunch. It's not just that though, you genuinely start to feel sorry for him after a certain point, haha

Yikes!

To be fair though, I'll give kudos to the author for having the lead's boyfriend as a likeable character, when it would have been really easy to make him a complete and utter wanker. That this in a series that is part a yuri-centric magazine aimed at women is pretty cool - it could be an angle that would interest me if the rest didn't sound like a complete and utter shitshow, heh.

PK Gaming

Flip Flappers 6

I didn't expect this anime to cover mental illness (and Alzheimer's of all things) but it did and it hit me pretty hard because... mental illness stories always hit hard. Not the funnest episode, but undeniably a good one.

Yikes!

To be fair though, I'll give kudos to the author for having the lead's boyfriend and as a likeable charatcter, when it would have been really easy to make him a complete and utter wanker. That this in a series that is part a yuri-centric magazine aimed at women is pretty cool - it could be an angle that would interest me if the rest didn't sound like a complete and utter shitshow, heh.

It's not too bad of a read, honestly.

Like hardcore junkfood where you know exactly what you pay for. Chapters frequently swap from funny to tense, depending on the current situation.

I enjoyed it more Citrus, at the very least.

TrueBlue

It's not too bad of a read, honestly.

Like hardcore junkfood where you know exactly what you pay for. Chapters frequently swap from funny to tense, depending on the current situation.

I enjoyed it more Citrus, at the very least.

I mean, if impressions here and elsewhere are positive for the anime, by all means.

As it stands though, I think I'd get too annoyed while watching/reading - though that's more down to the whole cheating angle more than anything. That neither of the main pair is likeable breaks the deal for me, I gotta dig at least one of them or I can't get invested. I know that sounds weird, but I think it's important for a romantic story.

Sound Euphonium S2 3

This is one of the best episodes of TV KyoAni has ever produced. Extremely strong execution all around. I knew when I saw that wipe/match cut with Asuka walking in front of Kumiko this would be a very special episode, and I was right.

I mean, from what I remember of the anime it was about girls going through puberty and learning why they need bras in the first place. It's something that 12-sai covered as well, come to think of it. Not being a tween girl, I have no idea if getting fitted for a bra is awkward or not, so of course I'm just taking the anime at its word.

Of course since the manga author went on to write that Student Council Waifu anime that's currently airing now, I'm more willing to credit Yoshida for the more introspective parts of Chu-Bra.

It's not like I've watched Chu-Bra myself, so I'll take you at your word that it's actually a sensitive portrayal of female puberty.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's not like I've watched Chu-Bra myself, so I'll take you at your word that it's actually a sensitive portrayal of female puberty.
I guess the other thing to keep in mind was that it was my second year of watching anime, so I thought it was kind of interesting to basically watch a cartoon deal with issues that would be deemed too sensitive to be even on American TV.

Hell, the only time I can think of an American show dealing with a period is King of the Hill, and that was in the context of it being awkward to deal with teenage girls as a man. Female bodies are still pretty frightening to TV writers in 2016, as far as I know.

Yu-gi-oh Arc-V is coming to Crunchyroll, but apparently just as a catalog title so they still won't be simulcasting it. Kind of upsetting as a Yu-gi-oh fan since it's one of the few shows I watch that I still have to watch fansubs for

How long will it take them to get to episode 130's though, Im glad they are starting at episode one and not current and ignoring the past.

Did they ever add case closed episodes from the start?

Regardless Ill start from episode 1, will be fun to relive it. Especially since I seem to still be stuck at ep 124 or so...

I miss 1st season arc-v and all the "Duelists locked in battle! Kicking the earth and dancing in the air alongside their monsters! They storm through this field!"

Wanderer5

Bungou Stray Dogs S2 #7

Well I don't think I am going to eat grapes anytime soon.

And the creepy aspects sure didn't stop at Steinbeck and Lovecraft fight, when Q came in (who has quite a feminine voice but whatever :p). The mindfuck-ness was pretty nicely done, and seeing Dazai kind of piss regarding Q lol.

This second half continues to rock.

JulianImp

Sakurada Reset anime announced, 2017 spring.

Staff:
Director: Shinya Kawatsura
Series composition: Katsuhiko Takayama
Character Designer: Tomoyuki Shitaya
Studio: David Production

Man, that looks like another copy-paste of that old post someone made about the plot of 90% of LNs ever. I'm not going to dismiss it on that basis alone, but it's still funny how much authors love their high schoolers with superpowers that go on dangerous missions in between classes or something.

The funny thing for me is that the high school setting is often used as a nice time in the characters' lives when they still have some degree of freedom, but then they go and give the characters dangerous and time-consuming jobs that burden them with crazy responsibilities and probably take lots of time away from their studies.

Jarmel

Banned
Euphonium S2-2
GDrA1lW.jpg

Don't worry Reina, I'm sure he's the type of teacher to sleep with his students.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

This melodrama is killing me. I can see my ethereal soul leaving my body.

Quasar

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...ng-industry-insiders-unimpressed-by-your-name

Toshio Okada said:
Your Name is a huge hit. There are a lot of women who are saying the film is a masterpiece, and it has me worried about the future of Japan. Come on, the film just uses the good parts of films and manga that’ve sold well in the past. It’s rubbish. As a person who’s been involved in anime, there wasn’t one second of Your Name that I thought was interesting or moving. Seriously, the story and script are awful. Even comparing it to the artistry of Hayao Miyazaki’s films is a mistake.

Someones upset.

Doesn't he know anime was a mistake.

JulianImp

Reina has always had a crush on Taki. That's the main reason why she decided to attend the high school she did, as she revealed in the first season.

Yeah, it was never about yuri, only mild baiting at best.

I also respect brass instrument players a lot more now that I've actually begun practicing one myself, since the way it relies on your own ability to buzz clear, accurate tones using your lips makes them unlike any other insturments I have played before, and I find that to be both challenging and really appealing.

Going back to episode reviews...

Occultic;Nine - #6
Oooookay, now that does certainly shed some light on why Ryo-tas might've had that strange reaction when she received a phone call in an earlier episode. I still find her to be one of the most annoying characters in the show, though (closely followed by the campy gay bar owner).

Also, if the main cast happens to actually
have been dead for the last couple episodes
, then what's the deal with the little sister and her phantom helper? Is the dead guy
actually alive while the littel girl is dead, or is she alive but can somehow interact with other dead entities just like she could communicate with her "demon"
?

Magical Girl Reaping Project - #6-7
God damn it, why the heck did Monokuma have to be Cranberry's underling? Also, Alice's power appears to be ill-fit for a death game, but I guess that means she'll end up getting a fate worse than death instead. The way the show actually went and spoiled her ability before she ever got a chance to use it also made Magicaloid's death absolutely predictable and boring, and all because of a dumb mid-episode expository slide.

It feels like the show's trying too hard to go for the edgy despair upupupupu route, which I don't actually find all that entertaining since the whole cast is still poorly developed, and the show's over-reliance on telling us about a character only when they're about to be offed also makes things boring (at least they dodged the bullet on the latest episode... for now).

Jarmel

Banned
I would flat out drop Euphonium if I didn't know that this drama was done with after this episode.

ooooo boy this is such garbage melodramatic is an understatement

Konosuba 6 & 7

Why didnt he want to be reincarnated in JPN, Id leave these four fools fast, especially idiot water goddess who is constantly giving them debt

Dulluhan fight was pretty awesome.

jonjonaug

Occultic;Nine - #6
Oooookay, now that does certainly shed some light on why Ryo-tas might've had that strange reaction when she received a phone call in an earlier episode. I still find her to be one of the most annoying characters in the show, though (closely followed by the campy gay bar owner).

Also, if the main cast happens to actually
have been dead for the last couple episodes
, then what's the deal with the little sister and her phantom helper? Is the dead guy
actually alive while the littel girl is dead, or is she alive but can somehow interact with other dead entities just like she could communicate with her "demon"
?

Astral projection is a thing that was mentioned earlier, the devil guy might actually be alive but in a coma or something

Monster Musume OVA 01

Too much screentime for inferior kobold girl and not the people who really matter

Episode kinda reminded me of Centaur's Worries where they show all the extra work that would have to go into every single facet of life if there was an ADA for half-human species

Jarmel

Banned
Euphonium S2-4
sAqgfUb.jpg

My words exactly.
Someone give me a proper defense of this. This is such infantile shit...

Wow at Asuka though, she really is a disgusting person and her behavior was deplorable and possibly counter-productive. She's supposed to be the villain right?

Quasar

Euphonium S2-4

Wow at Azusa though, she really is a disgusting person and her behavior was deplorable and possibly counter-productive. She's supposed to be the villain right?

Its highly entertaining drama.

Jarmel

Banned
Its petty high school shit. Thats what high schoolers get worked up over.
That's being too kind to it. At best it's petty melodramatic high school shit. I can take the whole passive-aggresive not wanting to talk about it aspect but Oboe running away like she's in early grade school is too much. Overdone is as much an understatement as saying the past week was disappointing for me.
Its highly entertaining drama.
That's not a defense.

PK Gaming

Euphonium S2-4

Wow at Azusa though, she really is a disgusting person and her behavior was deplorable and possibly counter-productive. She's supposed to be the villain right?

Not a villain, but someone with sociopathic tendencies.

There is no comeuppance or redemption arc. She is who she is.

EDIT: Didn't mind the drama but Oboe literally getting nauseous over Nozomi playing her instrument was a bit much.

Thoraxes

Also it's Asuka.

Azusa is from the Rikka High School.
Its petty high school shit. Thats what high schoolers get worked up over.
And funny enough, i've seen even worse from a teaching position as far as bands go.

High schoolers get upset over the stupidest shit, and I always just took a backseat to watch it unfold.

Jarmel

Banned
5qP0nBl.jpg
lHdljNW.jpg

Ribbons pls stop being trash
Might as well do a quick writeup of my issues with this arc while I'm cooking. I suppose my first problem with this is that it's possibly the most boring direction they could have taken the 3rd Year/2nd Year split. Instead of there being lingering issues due to some approach taken or personal grudges due to words said, it boils down to a classic misunderstanding. It's not even a complicated misunderstanding but a basic one that looks to be mostly resolved with a five minute speech. They could have taken this so many different directions and took the path most traveled. For a second, I thought they were going to do something interesting when in episode 3 Asuka gave the spiel about Oboe not liking her or whatever. I'm not surprised the writer took this approach but it's fairly bland for what it is.
The second problem with this arc is that it mostly consists of non-action and avoidance. Instead of any sort of action on the part of the main character, or most of the other characters really, it just drags out. Now I understand the notion of letting tension build but the climax in this felt less like an event that was built up to and more of something that just happened. Nozomi pretty much just goes up to Oboe leading to Oboe running like Scrooge with the Ghost of Christmas Past. Not to mention the main character really didn't serve a purpose in this arc other than observing. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but when everybody else is mostly in a circling pattern it almost comes across as stalling
which I suppose was Asuka's plan haha
on the part of the writers.
My third issue is with the actual execution of the drama. Instead of there being some sort of subtle character acting to show Oboe's issues, she darts off. It's overly done to the point of being comical. I can't help but think and compare this to the high school melodrama in OreGaIru. Many of the same communication issues shown here in Euphonium are found in OreGaIru but the execution is light years better in the later's case to make it even remotely believable. I didn't ever really feel like the characters were acting as real humans would in that scenario but instead it was if I was watching a scripted performance between two actors. Not to mention the resolution of this feels artificial in its handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom