• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch. I love me some cheezy Tales games

Zestiria was a good bromance game. I didn't mind it nearly as much as most.
Tales of Zestiria was amazing. Sorey and Mikleo is the best bromance. The anime did their relationship good.

Did you get the 2 different Xillia 2 endings? Well technicaly 3 endings

sonicmj1

Kuromukuro END

I'm really pleased with how this show turned out. The ending in particular is a very nice capstone on what the work wanted to say, coming full circle with the show's themes instead of choosing the obvious cliche.

Kuromukuro delivered on all of its promises. Even though Yukina's school buddies grated on me sometimes, I think the show was structured really well, which helped keep me invested. It wasn't interested in being particularly realistic, but it nailed its key points (Kennosuke and Yukina's struggles for purpose, as well as their growing interdependence) and had just the right amount of self-awareness to be fun without feeling overly "clever".

Looking at the work as a whole, I'm reminded of some of the early interview talk surrounding Gargantia. The idea behind that show was that Ledo's search for a new purpose in his life was the same kind of struggle that young people in Japanese society face today as they get older and graduate from school. Kuromukuro faces this same idea much more directly (partially as a consequence of its contemporary setting), and I think it really succeeds at exploring the process of finding a dream to live for.

Sure there's Kennosuke, who starts from a surprisingly similar point to Ledo, a man stranded from the world that gave him purpose and forced to create himself anew. But not only is his path fairly different, all the characters around him face the same journey. Yukina's growth as a character is really about her discovering who she wants to be and what she wants to do. Her friends grow too, forced by dire circumstance to make choices about which things truly matter to them. They all grow up, in their own way.

What makes the ending satisfying isn't some ticker-tape parade for our heroes at the end, but the knowledge that they've all found ways to live true to who they are, in spite of the chaos of the world around them threatening to scatter the order they relied on. It's a fun adventure, a pretty nice romance, and an all-around solid show. Might be my number 5 show for the year, which is pretty high praise given that every show I'd rank above it could have won my AOTY last year.

Rita/Judith too top tier

On the male side you have Yuri whose the only MC in Tales to actually just straight up murder someone who wasn't the big bad and Raven as the awesome old man, hell you have Repede! If it wasn't for fucking Carol Vesperia would of had the perfect cast....fuck that kid! Estelle who?

Cornbread78

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Episode 8

Oreimo confirmed.

Oh hell no. They have a great plutonic and natural relationship. Sone great stuff in S2 with those two as well.

Tales of Zestiria was amazing. Sorey and Mikleo is the best bromance. The anime did their relationship good.

Did you get the 2 different Xillia 2 endings? Well technicaly 3 endings

No, just the "true" ending, which was actually pretty damn sad.

Jex

When does this end? I've read the manga and I was a huge fan, but the ending was a little too abrupt for my liking.

From what I understand they aren't directly comparable on that level because the movie compresses the manga's story considerably.

Szadek

Smile Precure! - Ep. 37-39
Shit! Not even when watching Pretty Cure I'm save from bullshit elections.
37 was a decent episode, but not as good as the pervious ones.

The next episode was a return to form:
Cuteness Overload 2 : Electric Boogaloo
smile-precure_38-1.jpg
The episode was super adorable. The Cure even played with child versions of the villains and got an alternative transformation sequence.

In the next episode the show finally cashed in on it's Fairy Tale theme and transported them into story of Cinderella.
Athough, it looks like the changed the story quite a bit. I guess werewolf are now canon.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo - Ep. 7-8
Looks like the whole buisness with the horse was just to get closer to wife of the banker and user her in his plans.
Shit is getting real at the mansion. I guess that means he gathered anyone he wants to get revenge on.

DiGiKerot

From what I understand they aren't directly comparable on that level because the movie compresses the manga's story considerably.

I understand that they change some of the specifics of the final act as well, not in a fashion that's massively divergent, but you'll be disappointed if you are expecting to see them making a short film or whatever it is I understand to be the focus towards the end of the original.

I need to get around to reading the manga. Not really much excuse (aside from mainlining Soredemo Machi de Mawatteiru now that it's done) given its all on Crunchy.

Szadek

Smile Precure - Ep. 44
With this episode, everyone got their last bit of develpoment.
Learning Happy's backstory was pretty interesting, but I think Beauty's episode was better.
Finally the endfight beginns next episode.

Man, that looks like another copy-paste of that old post someone made about the plot of 90% of LNs ever. I'm not going to dismiss it on that basis alone, but it's still funny how much authors love their high schoolers with superpowers that go on dangerous missions in between classes or something.

The funny thing for me is that the high school setting is often used as a nice time in the characters' lives when they still have some degree of freedom, but then they go and give the characters dangerous and time-consuming jobs that burden them with crazy responsibilities and probably take lots of time away from their studies.

Well unless the adaption goes to shit, this show likely that will be talked a lot in reddit when it start airing lol, maybe here too.

Jintor

where's my uni people who go on dangerous missions in their free time? god knows they actually have the free time to go on dangerous missions, unlike high schoolers who are seriously spending way too much time at school, in clubs, or at cram school

where's my uni people who go on dangerous missions in their free time? god knows they actually have the free time to go on dangerous missions, unlike high schoolers who are seriously spending way too much time at school, in clubs, or at cram school

By the time they're old enough for college, these highschoolers who go on dangerous missions are most likely already dead.

Jarmel

Banned
Forced Thanksgiving dinners-with-Trump-voting-relatives to those who insult Asuka.
Well my family personally know half of Trump's incoming cabinet so that might be possible. NYC Elites apparently all go to the same cigar club (fairly nice place though).

Kiss Him Not Me Episode 2 EngDub

Nana voice is really perfect in this funi dub especially in the soccer portion of the show.

NANBAKA Episode 7 – It's a Surprisingly Sad Story

Background in the middle of a heavy action moment :( Well 99's story wasnt bad.

Twin star exorcist 31-32

Episode 31 was super sad and sweet, I really liked the characters interaction in it. Also, Rokuro sure knows how to be cool, is what I would said if I did not watch 32 right after. That second part was, wow how weird can this be.
Dancing with a basara? Did she want to cheer them up? Doesn't that defeat the whole inflict maximum despair to get the most power out of them?

Anyway, 1 good and 1 weird, it could be worst

Izetta 7

With a little imagination that bed scene could have went full on yuri. I mean damn they went full teasing lol.

The battle was really cool tho, action scenes is definetly not something I can critisize the show with.

Victory gundam 19

Uso you sly kid, how many points did you put into your stealth stats?!

Other then that battles and the characters continue to be fantastic.

I'm so happy I'm liking this after experiencing 3 UC shows I found so meh. Gives me hope for the ones to come.

/XX/

Psiconautas (Official Title - Psychonauts: The Forgotten Children)
Equally nice and refreshing to see a review for such a film on this thread. Thank you, Jexhius!

Setting aside how the movie obviously reflects on present matters afflicting Spanish society right now, most of the look into the authors' message (as explained by them before too) should be traced back to Mr. Vázquez & Mr. Rivero's roots as spectators and later participants of the counterculture born after the turmoil generated from the 80s economic depression, byproduct of the industrial re-conversion suffered on key regions for the country's secondary sector like Galicia or Euskadi (both on regions where the director and scriptwriter of the film, respectively, were born), with traumatic closures and violent workers mobilisations at shipyards on Vigo and El Ferrol, or Bilbao's metallurgical industry crisis, as examples.

Part of the counterculture was born out of a more somber and cruel representation of the mysticism already embraced on deep parts of Galicia, amplified on its isolated communities (reminder, the original voice-over of the film is in Galician language), while on the bigger cities was permeated by influences from other class-struggle based subcultures prevalent at the time. Recreational drugs as means of creating a rebellious self-image or for simple escapism became commonplace, and along this the empowered local drug barons used the coasts of the region as Europe's biggest port of entrance for heroin and cocaine smugglers (that continues to be in a great part, up to these days). This situation was obviated by many as mere means of surviving throughout the economic difficulties, corrupting with this perception all strata of regional authorities that turned a blind eye on crime syndicates, while these clans were being supported by common folk oblivious to the misery it created... folks waiting instead for ultimate redemption on a religious penance coming from the only authority they could ever trust.

The "magical" fables ('fábulas' ó 'a lendas') like this one are what marries stylistically, in the most opportune way, such view into a marginalised and simultaneously oppressive community with the ignorance of the superstitions it befits when trying to distance itself from an own heavy reality.

As I recommended before, Sangre de Unicornio is necessary to watch too as a pure look into a more personal animated work from Alberto Vázquez and his distressful vision, aside from these bigger collaborations with Pedro Rivero.

Cornbread78

so what is everyone top 5 new anime for this fall?

This is tough to answer since there is lots to watch, but nothing really outstanding so far, for me anyway. I answered for this Fall only, lol

1) Magical Girl Raising Project
2) WWW.Working
3) March comes in like a lion
4) Izetta
5) Nanbaka/Poco Udon World

For the Year? Well, I'd have to really take a close look

probably:

1) Erased
2) Konosuba
3) Re;Zero
4) Alderamin on the Sky
5) Kiznaiver

Thunderbolt Fantasy

This is going to get it's own category during voting because it's already been confirmed to be "Not Anime" under any kind of classification. It deserves props, so it will get it's own category; I'll leave it up to everyone on what they want that to be. Anime related Media? That way we can lump in Trails of Cold Steel II and other games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom